Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are we really ninjas?

1 minute ago, (PS4)kamil_demon said:

I mean it seams like a dumb question but SD and TWW showed us were not warframes and warframes are ninjas but I heard a few people saying that since we were dreaming while controlling warframes we just dream of bring ninjas, dream of being a killing machine but outside of that we know no king fu or fighting what so ever 

Use some melee stance mods and then tell me we aren't ninjas 

3 minutes ago, jjadned said:

Use some melee stance mods and then tell me we aren't ninjas 

It's your warframe that does this. We don't know what exactly a warframe is (maybe we do control them, but there are many theories saying that the Warframes are other living beings that protect the Tenno, only if the Tenno want them to) so we first of all have to wait for more main quests...

EDIT: Remember when the Stalker almost killed the Tenno but the warframe suddenly broke War and defended the Tenno. As far as I remember the Tenno was not linked to the warframe. The link was cut off. That's a possible hint to the theories about warframes being not the Tenno's ''corpses'' but other living beings, clones for example. They all look the same at some point. Just like the Grineer / Corpus.

Edited by MrM1

Like I said in a topic about a samurai Warframe:

"It says that "Ninjas play free", but at this rate, we might as well have a space samurai. We already have space fairies, space paladins, space animals, space magicians that have their reputation tarnished, space beserkers, space deities, space engineers, space cowgirls, space archers, space mummies, and space elementals."

Edited by (PS4)LeBlingKing69

I'd argue that we never were ninja's but that's not really the question here.

The operator was fully aware of what they were doing pre SD, the 'dream' was simply a way of describing the state they go into during transference. So yes, they know how to fight, but their normal bodies are to weak to fight in the style they normally prefer.

Edited by bowiespoon

Just now, CrudShuzKong said:

Are ninjas even ninjas? I have my dubts that real life ninjas could teleport, hop around the ceiling or any of those japanese pop culture ninja powers. Heck ninjas were most likely not even fighters or assassins in the first place but rather saboteurs and spies.

Well ninjas are masters of ninjutsu, which was a discipline that included 18 skills: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninjutsu#The_eighteen_skills

16 minutes ago, jjadned said:

Warframes slogan is, ninjas play free. So. Unless DE has a thing for ninjas I think we are Space ninjas.

Ninjas play free is saying the player is the ninja, it doesn't say anything about whether the tenno or warframes are ninjas

11 minutes ago, (PS4)LeBlingKing69 said:

Well ninjas are masters of ninjutsu, which was a discipline that included 18 skills: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninjutsu#The_eighteen_skills

There are no texts older than the 19th (iirc) century that mention ninjutsu which is very much past the time at which ninjas actually existed. Thus there is good reason to believe that those are as much fantasy as the more recent ninja powers we get to see in movies.

Dont get me wrong, pop culture ninjas are a fun invention, but they do not seem to be much more than that.

In case you are wondering about sources, check out anthony cummins he published a few books on his research into ninja.

Edited by CrudShuzKong

20 minutes ago, (PS4)LeBlingKing69 said:

Like I said in a topic about a samurai Warframe:

"It says that "Ninjas play free", but at this rate, we might as well have a space samurai. We already have space fairies, space paladins, space animals, space magicians that have their reputation tarnished, space beserkers, space deities, space engineers, space cowgirls, space archers, space mummies, and space elementals."

"Ninja's play free" was a phrase coined by the players way back in the day, and adopted by DE as a marketing slogan, that's all.

Ninja's in popular culture are whatever people make them to be.

Depending on the genre these days, the line between ninja and sorcerer is pretty thin, to be honest. 

3 minutes ago, Climaxstriker said:

At this point, we're a darker grittier version of the power rangers.

I can't wait for the day we can morph our Orbiters / Landing Craft together into one giant robot and take down the giant enemy villain.

37 minutes ago, (PS4)kamil_demon said:

I mean it seams like a dumb question but SD and TWW showed us were not warframes and warframes are ninjas but I heard a few people saying that since we were dreaming while controlling warframes we just dream of bring ninjas, dream of being a killing machine but outside of that we know no king fu or fighting what so ever 

Ash.. throws smoke bombs, shruiken and attacks from the shadows... close enough

The best fit for what Warframe is Space Wuxia. Wuxia is a genera of Chinese martial arts fiction that deals with concpets similar to chivalry.  It also includes magic/sorcery. One well known example in western media is Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Almost everything about Tenno culture and operation is more Wuxia than Ninja. Tenno were the Knights of the Orokin, riding/flying forth to battle unstoppable forces for the honor of their masters. Occasionally Tenno were sometimes used as spys, infiltrators, and assassins, but it wasn't a primary mission.

Tenno leap and fly in ways Wire-fu would be hard pressed to replicate. They use every kind of weapon and are generally masters of them. They use Space Magic (Void Power).

The story line DE is running with is one of "honorable" warriors tricked or ensorcelled into betrayal, then betrayed themselves, then losing their identity and needing to find their way back. A fairly typical Wuxia storyline, with some twists.

Sadly if DE used "Wuxia" in advertisements in the West, almost no one would get it. So they went with Ninja, because in current culture Magical Ninjas are a thing and the closest in overt practice to Wuxia characters. Frankly the Naruto series is more Wuxia than Ninja, how often do any of them sneak? Most of the time they run (and jump) around in bright colors and spout off about various concpets of honor, friendship, and loyalty.

16 minutes ago, Heckzu said:

I can't wait for the day we can morph our Orbiters / Landing Craft together into one giant robot and take down the giant enemy villain.

Is it bad that I would find that hilarious if it happened. 

Also warframe the true ending to power rangers in space.