The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My personal Apology to the Fans

IgnusDei

Just now, Wolfdoggie said:

Is this about the Ember Before and after? Need moar details. :>

Hide contents

francois-cannels-emberdeluxefinal02.jpg?

CzQgxejXcAAw0cs.jpg

you mean the silly blade tagged on the helmet, the elbow flame being replaced by a bulky tumor and the lower body hip side on the left softened to look less like charred armor revealing flesh, covering the right side of the body with cloth so people don't go "ewooo sexy pseudonudity in a game that's 17+ for violence think about the childreeeeeeeeeeen!!" stuff?

I get that some of the finer ends would need to be consolidated to look better on lower end pc's but whats with the bloody blade stuck in the head? the tag on looks stupid and out of place, and it absolutely ruins the helmet for people who always wanted a ember helmet without that tacky decoration and what's with the elbow spike >_> the original looked better T_T

Just now, Tormound said:

My guess is that he didn't like the design changes the art team was doing his designs. Which I have to say, the one Ignus made looks a lot better.

I don't mind the cloth but that stupid blade stuck on top of the head and the elbow tumors... wtf is up with that???!?

Just now, Fylas said:

I don't mind the cloth but that stupid blade stuck on top of the head and the elbow tumors... wtf is up with that???!?

No idea but the first design is much better. Don't need another knob head helmet..😂

Is it me or do those tumor things look insanely out of place...... like her arm is too small for them. 😕

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Mofojokers said:

No idea but the first design is much better. Don't need another knob head helmet..😂

Is it me or do those tumor things look insanely out of place...... like her arm is too small for them. 😕

why put em there in the first place? I bet you 5 plat they are going to clip the hell out with most of the tonfas 

This was a big mistake from the design team to not take his passion more into account. 

People LOVE his skins. And people constantly cried for joy when they first saw his skins, and then cried in sadness when they saw how the art team "improved" them. Or rather, altered and removed much that was great about them. They way they ruined his concept for both Loki and Banshee and now Ember. It sounds to me like he didn't like how heavily they were changing his designs, and he got upset about it because he is passionate about his art. They gave the "well it's our game our say thing" and that probably annoyed him even more because he didn't feel his art was respected. So then probably more passionate words were exchanged. 

It's understandable, artists are extremely passionate about their work. We don't know exactly what happened, but I think DE perhaps shouldn't be working with outside designers on skin designs if they are not willing to trust that designers work, and instead want to alter it so so much from the original. 

Either way I will miss his designs -- also, it sounds like it isn't just his decision anymore. 

Just now, Tesseract7777 said:

This was a big mistake from the design team to not take his passion more into account. 

People LOVE his skins. And people constantly cried for joy when they first saw his skins, and then cried in sadness when they saw how the art team "improved" them. Or rather, altered and removed much that was great about them. They way they ruined his concept for both Loki and Banshee and now Ember. It sounds to me like he didn't like how heavily they were changing his designs, and he got upset about it because he is passionate about his art. They gave the "well it's our game our say thing" and that probably annoyed him even more because he didn't feel his art was respected. So then probably more passionate words were exchanged. 

It's understandable, artists are extremely passionate about their work. We don't know exactly what happened, but I think DE perhaps shouldn't be working with outside designers on skin designs if they are not willing to trust that designers work, and instead want to alter it so so much from the original. 

Either way I will miss his designs -- also, it sounds like it isn't just his decision anymore. 

Thing is, DE always modifies the submitted art before making them. Whether for performance reasons or artisitic reasons.

The Juggernaut looks nothing like it's submitted concept. In this case i saw the DE version as the better of the 2. The bulb on the elbow and the horn were simply unneeded.

1 minute ago, Buzkyl said:

Thing is, DE always modifies the submitted art before making them. Whether for performance reasons or artisitic reasons.

The Juggernaut looks nothing like it's submitted concept. In this case i saw the DE version as the better of the 2. The bulb on the elbow and the horn were simply unneeded.

Of course they are going to modify them some, the question is whether their modification was too much, or made it better or worse. 

In most cases, the community consensus on their major changes to original ignus dei concepts is that DE made them worse. 

Just now, Tesseract7777 said:

Of course they are going to modify them some, the question is whether their modification was too much, or made it better or worse. 

In most cases, the community consensus on their major changes to original ignus dei concepts is that DE made them worse. 

For banshee and loki, certainly they were made worse. For ember specifically I was no impressed with the submitted concept. The horn is out of place and the bulb was unneeded. Ignus has full right to be upset over them modifying his concept but art-wise it wasn't a reduction in my eyes.

1 minute ago, Buzkyl said:

For banshee and loki, certainly they were made worse. For ember specifically I was no impressed with the submitted concept. The horn is out of place and the bulb was unneeded. Ignus has full right to be upset over them modifying his concept but art-wise it wasn't a reduction in my eyes.

Um, you got it backwards.

The horn and the bulb weren't part of the original design.  They're what DE added.

2 minutes ago, Buzkyl said:

Regardless of whether anyone likes the submitted design more or DE's final, the point here is that every artist knows when working in such a situation that some changes will be made. But every artist also has a "breaking point" where they feel their artwork is no longer just being altered/made to fit an aesthetic, but actively "messed up" to not fit their creative idea at all. 

This was likely a slow buildup that happened over time, as it sounds like Ignus Dei knew it was a long time coming, and was likely slowly burning about changes he didn't care for. Yes he should have been prepared somewhat for working in someone else's world, but with how absurdly popular his designs are, I feel like if they were going to work with him at all, perhaps they could have been more accommodating. Oh well, it is what it is. And we still have a lot of great skins from him to enjoy. 

If it's any consolation to you, I've loved your work and do think in most cases that your original vision ends up much better than the product after DE changes things. I hope you find a new place to give your awesome designs to that works with you and makes you feel better than you seemingly felt here.

Just now, skaianDestiny said:

Um, you got it backwards.

The horn and the bulb weren't part of the original design.  They're what DE added.

Oh

Well they just butchered the skin in my eyes. Those are completely out of place. Thanks for the correction.

Are Frost and Mag deluxe still getting released?  I sure hope so :awe:

I hope you still profit from this amazing work on Warframe, I will surely get both when they are available. Not sure for Ember though ;)

Thanks for delivering something unique to this game's bizarre aesthetics, best of luck on your artistic path in the future :clap::cool:

EDIT: I just compared the changes from you concept to original and IMO they add very little to overall design, just a touch for the sake of it.

I like your cleaner version better. Something weird happened with Ember's pelvis and left hand on the way, ugh.

Edited by Sannidor

1 minute ago, Syln said:

i just saw the original concept for ember .... wtf is wrong with them ? Awkwardly adding stuff for the sake of it ?

I swear, it feels like the art team has this obsession with "putting their mark on it" even if it makes it worse. If it's not broke it doesn't need fixing. It's like this pathology they have -- their is no need to pointlessly add/remove stuff just so you can say "I was involved". Why not just let Ignus do it if he is going to do it? 

It sounds almost to me like the art team feels slighted that a fan is doing the main concept for the deluxe skins, instead of them, so they have to "put their mark on it" to feel like they are "part of the process". 

If they want to chance things on your work and exprection without your premission, u did the right thing. We dont know what went down but look what happend to Bungie/actvition after Martin o'donnell. If they can't respect you're work, they dpnt desirve it.

Oh wow, they decided to ruin Ember's deluxe? Elbow tumor, dumb head-blade, and the overall reshaping of the burnt area look absolutely awful. 

It's a shame to see you go, Ignus. Your skins are the best the game has, it's a shame DE doesn't know a good artist when they see one.

Edited by Gran_Maw_Sigmus