Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Vs. Frost

zoobmer

Question

Volt was my starting warframe, and for a long time, one of the only two warframes I played as (the other being Oberon). Now t5hat I’ve gotten a chance to play as both Volt and Frost, along with their prime versions, here is my analysis of their abilities.

1. Shock vs. Freeze: first abilities are generally useless, because they do the same thing a gun can do, except using energy rather than ammo. Such is the case with these two, except they can stun enemies as well. Volt’s has the added benefit of chaining enemies.

2. Speed vs. Ice Wave: this is the only ability that is different between the two. Volt speeds up the team, while Frost damages and slows enemies

3. Electric Shield vs. Snow Globe: both are shields. Frost’s is better because it cover 360 degrees, does not have a time limit, slows enemies, and has an augment that can stun enemies. (although Volt should have a similar augment.) Volt, on the other hand, can carry his shield, and it adds damage when shot through, so it has it’s benefits.

4. Discharge vs. Avalanche: both are AoE attacks that damage and stun enemies, and both have augments that improve allies defences

Conclusion: both are frames I would use to defend a point, but Frost does so better than Volt. I see no reason to use Volt when Frost is available.

Please reply with any reason you agree or disagree.

13 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, ZBanx said:

Shock vs. Freeze: first abilities are generally useless, because they do the same thing a gun can do, except using energy rather than ammo. Such is the case with these two, except they can stun enemies as well. Volt’s has the added benefit of chaining enemies.

They're your "reload fallback" because you can cast them in the middle of a gun reload and it won't interrupt the reload

8 minutes ago, ZBanx said:

Discharge vs. Avalanche: both are AoE attacks that damage and stun enemies, and both have augments that improve allies defences

Avalanche is far stronger and strips enemy armor

You also forgot their other differences, namely speed vs durability. Frost has FAR more durability (300 HP + 300 armor base, plus the highest shields in the game; modded for durability and with a good Snow Globe he can shut out tons of enemy damage) whereas Volt's already fast running speed is boosted further by his 2. And although Volt will be casting abilities more often, he has the energy pool to do it with

Volt's shield also will never go down from being shot at by a corpus tech. In terms of defending an object, which one I'd prefer to have really depends on the map layout and number of attack angles against the target. Something being attacked from all sides is a hassle to keep volt shielded, but if there's only one or two real openings, it's easy to have the completely invincible shields that explosives don't leak through defending the thing, and giving a significant damage boost to shoot through (doubled crit damage, even ignoring the +elec). As an added bonus, volt shields don't stop allies on the outside of the defense point from shooting in!

I do like both, though I generally find Volt a lot more fun to play just because of speed. Plus it's a helpful buff to melee users in the party.

Avalanche's armor strip is helpful, but can be redundant if a party is already geared for corrosive projection or making heavy use of good armor-stripping weapons.

Edited by OvisCaedo

I may add,

that Volts Discharge, with some range, can keep enemys in a range of 50 meters stunned. So there would be no need to shield something, when the whole map(in an larger area then Frost´s Avalanche) is stunned. and even with 40% of ability power you will deal a ton of damage, while the electricity keeps jumping around.

Volt was my starter and my second or third prime, I truly enjoyed playing as Volt and do so from time to time but playing as a non volt team member on a non capture mission when that volt casts speed I can't back flip fast enough. It is equal the seemingly random rift casting, perhaps I am just being a grumpy tenno...and stay off my lawn!

Frost for Defense and Excavation. Volt for everything.

Volt's 1 is instantaneous, stuns multiple enemies, and can be bounced off terrain. Frost's 1 is in a straight line and can miss fairly easily.

Volt's 2 speeds the entire party's foot speed, melee speed, and reload speed (buffing our primary source of damage: weapons) Frost's 2 is another slow. It's ok, but I usually have issue finding a use for it.

Volt's 3 boosts damage and crit chance, has infinite hp, now blocks explosions, and can be picked up and used as a riot shield. Frost's 3 blocks all around. While Volt's 3 is a versatile tool that compliments him, Frost's 3 is the reason he's used.

Volt's 4 Stuns for a very long time. Frost's 3 wears off pretty quickly.

When you consider that our major damage dealers are our weapons and not our powers, Volt's versatility wins out in most every situation.

It all depends on your build really, but some things are kinda is, such as

frost is better at defending a point while volt's more like holding a choke point.

Volt's 4 is a better cc duration wise, but frost has that armor stripping.

Speed's a good melee buff, and a fun power imo. While ice wave (eith the aug) is capable to do what nova could with mp

Volt's shock can stun multiple enemies albeit for a while, and frost completely stuns an enemy still with a bit aoe slow.

So, which ever you like better(?)