Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Best way to farm Mutagen Sample?

JMP3

Question

Never thought I'd need to ask this, but my clan still needs tens of thousands of mutagen sample to complete the Hema research, and I contributed all I had collected over my year and a half of playing Warframe.  I've been getting a little bit from the Infested Salvage mission on Oestrus, Eris, but not much, even when playing as a max range Desecrate Nekros.  So what's a good way to get a lot so my clan won't take a year to research the Hema? 

My clan farmed them for Hema (what else). ODD with Nekros, Speed Nova, Nidus (for DPS) and a filler was netting us about 78Mutages/Tenno in 20 waves, without including resource boosters/drop chance boosters. An Atlas of sufficient power/range and the augment can increase even further.

I did an ODD with some random teammates. 1 Pilfering Hydroid (mininum range, for not running around so much) 1 Speed Nova and 2 Nekros. We managed to get 165 Mutagen Samples (without boosters) in 40 waves. To farm some credits, we used Secura Lectas to kill the remaining enemies. To further increse drops, you should use Slash-Weapons. But I don't know if the second Nekros helps to further increase drops through desecrating... so maybe he is exchangable.

With the same team compostion I also did some ODMD missions a few days ago, and it seems because of the constant enemy stream at the consoles it suits better for farming. We collected in average 35 mutagen samples (without boosters) per run.

I did a Solo ODS for 30 mins as Nekros with my Channeled Melee Venka to slash enemies in twain and get 2 corpses and got like 25 samples. Ran the sam setup with my wife as Mesa for less time and got around 60. 

Always run with a group. Bigger squad = More enemies = More loot. Add in there a Nekros and Atlas/Hydroid (Ivara's Loot ability is too slow for this) and you have a great setup. Get resource double and drop chance buffers and get even more. Throw in a Smeeta and you can potentially get even more and be rolling in the Mutagen

Edited by (PS4)Elctrcstel

2 hours ago, Lanieu said:

A sad thing DE has forced y'all to resort to.

I'm just ignoring the Hema until they fix their mistake.

A valid option, but that doesn't help me.  And I am hoping DE greatly reduces the research cost.  They did so in the past with Wukong and his stupid amounts of Nitain, but I'm still going to need mutagen sample.  If the cost gets halved, than that's still tens of thousands of mutagen sample my clan needs.

1 minute ago, JMP3 said:

A valid option, but that doesn't help me.  And I am hoping DE greatly reduces the research cost.  They did so in the past with Wukong and his stupid amounts of Nitain, but I'm still going to need mutagen sample.  If the cost gets halved, than that's still tens of thousands of mutagen sample my clan needs.

Well grinding and ignoring both don't help me. Grinding kills my soul and ignoring deprives me of juicy Mastery Rank. I need 5000 and I'm the only one in my clan. I only have 600 after 4 years of playing this cursed game.

So ignoring the Hema until DE remedies their amateur error is the only thing I plan to do.

ODD is better than ODS.  It keeps your team together and lets you use a vacuumless Smeeta without missing any drops.  

Speed Nova may make corpses disappear visually but they are still there physically to Desecrate.  Source: the Wiki and my own experience.  

Two Nekros isn't a waste.  Sometimes you can kill enemies faster than you can desecrate them.

The biggest problem on console now is getting a party of randoms together for ODD.  Most console players remain blissfully unaware of what's coming.

On 1/7/2017 at 7:02 AM, DeckChairVonBananaCamel said:

DE have announced in latest live-stream that they have no plans to reduce the mutagen cost (for those who have already completed it) BUT instead look into the rate at which mutagen is acquired in order to make it a bit less impossible.

Its not that its impossible, its unreasonable.  For one thing, if your in a moon clan, you need somewhere around 500k mutagen samples just to get one part of the Hema research done, and even then, the other resources aren't exactly as abundant as scrap metal (I have over 500,000,000 of that crap and i've only been playing the game for a year now).  It also gives off the impression that DE has ensured it to be mandatory for you to have a Nekros if you ever do want to complete research on infested weaponry without having to spend months -and if your that unfortunate enough- years to complete even one section of research in the bio labs.

On 1/7/2017 at 8:02 AM, DeckChairVonBananaCamel said:

DE have announced in latest live-stream that they have no plans to reduce the mutagen cost (for those who have already completed it) BUT instead look into the rate at which mutagen is acquired in order to make it a bit less impossible.

i read through and this is actually what i was going to suggest, currently theres no way to really plausibly farm mutagen samples in quantities like that. honestly for clans like ghost clans (my clan is a closed circuit of friends we only have 6 members) 5000 is almost a years worth of grinding without drop boosters for us since we arent all super high level and to do the grinding we MUST go to orokin derelict cause nobody has unlocked eris... the only other place that drops them..... they really should add another world that drops them or drastically increase drop rates

7 hours ago, hainscat said:

i read through and this is actually what i was going to suggest, currently theres no way to really plausibly farm mutagen samples in quantities like that. honestly for clans like ghost clans (my clan is a closed circuit of friends we only have 6 members) 5000 is almost a years worth of grinding without drop boosters for us since we arent all super high level and to do the grinding we MUST go to orokin derelict cause nobody has unlocked eris... the only other place that drops them..... they really should add another world that drops them or drastically increase drop rates

Agreed. I have three things to add to make this more comforting:

If you farm Octavia's neuroptics in ODS you will passively farm mutagen samples.

If you want to farm Ash parts from Maniacs in the new evacuation missions you will passively farm mutagen samples. 

If you are short on neurodes go for 20 waves ODD. This gives lots of mutagen samples and even some orokin cells. 

12 hours ago, hainscat said:

Derelict drops mutagen samples at much higher rates than Eris anyway, so you're better off anyway.

Best run for samples is ODD for 40 waves. 

Two pilfroids, ev trin, nekros

Nekros just desecrate and slash, ev just gives energy, both pilfroids spam tentacles. With hydroid you get more drops from the first hit than super long duration.

With this team comp and booster you will each net 400-460 mutagen samples in 40 waves. Running an ods you get about half that in 40 min.

My mountian clan still needs 116,000 samples and I started the hema research with 11k myself. The drop rates are insane compared to the requirements.