The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Unique usernames and other options

Za7hor

I would like to be able to use my username I have used for over a decade. However, this is not possible because someone reserved the username before me. Could it be possible to change the usernames so that multiple users could use the same username. This would of course require a "Battle.net" or "Discord" type of solution, which would make your username more like "WarframeTag", adding some numbers after the username so it's easier to identify other players or add them as a friend.

Another option is to check if accounts are no longer active and remove the username from their use. Of course, people should be e-mailed if they were in danger to lose their reserved username.

Umm, no. Everything is linked to your account.

If someone has your name already it just means it's not that unique. I've been using this one since..... 1997 with AOL? Only had one instance of it being used before me. Before that my father had picked "vultureguy(some numbers)" so guys wouldn't think I was a girl... Hated that username.

Your last paragraph describes what is already a thing. I got the same problem when I started my account back in 2014. About a year ago I checked the profile that used my desired nickname and found out that account was never used at all. After describing my situation to support they checked that account for inactivity and deleted it so I could use my desired nickname.

Thanks for the information. I contacted support and asked them if there's something to do. There are several games which allow you to use the same name, including Steam's most played games like Dota 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and Team Fortress 2,  and somehow in those game, it does not cause confusion.

45 minutes ago, Za7hor said:

There are several games which allow you to use the same name, including Steam's most played games like Dota 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and Team Fortress 2,  and somehow in those game, it does not cause confusion.

Personally I don't care what other games do, I like usernames being unique so it gets a resounded no thankyou from me.

1 hour ago, DeMonkey said:

Inb4 100 different Noamuth's.

No ty, 1 is bad enough. 

Reveal hidden contents

Sarcasm, nobody jump me

As Ksaero stated they do delete names if you ask support and the account hasn't been active in 2 years or so.

*jumps*

On topic, I don't think it would be nice. I can see scamming becoming a thing with similarly numberd IGNs and all sorts of complications.

Pick a new one, it's no biggie.

You can already put the name and a number after it, so I don't see how it would change things unless I'm misunderstanding things.

3 hours ago, SilvaDreams said:

Umm, no. Everything is linked to your account.

If someone has your name already it just means it's not that unique. I've been using this one since..... 1997 with AOL? Only had one instance of it being used before me. Before that my father had picked "vultureguy(some numbers)" so guys wouldn't think I was a girl... Hated that username.

https://archive.org/stream/RulesOfTheInternet/RulesOfTheInternet..txt

Rules 30, 31 and 32 invalidate your posts.

As per OP, no. Nope. My username is mine and mine only. Never had a problem with it being taken.