The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Steam reviews, opinions?

BluesAra

Today, I decided to do a little digging in to reviews on steam on Warframe. And I will I will have to say that I was quite surpised to see that the first 9 reviews was from former veterans that had stopped playing the game, cause of either too much grind or unhappy with changes done to the game, some think that DE has become too greedy, mostly because of changes to how we get new warframes and the "insane" amount of resources we need. If you want more explanation, I would suggest you check out the steam reviews yourself.

Now even though I am some kind of an veteran myself, I am having a hard time relating to them, so I wanted to ask: do you agree? Has the game become worse and worse since it first came out on steam or are people just critical to change. (btw I started playing when the game came out on steam)

This post is in no way meant to bash the game or anyone, it's more here so that me and other people can see different perspectives about the game and better define our own opinion.

As for me, I think the game has improved a lot since it first came out, I feel like there is a lot more to do here and that you can always have something to strive for. But now with the implementation of more endless missions, the game can start to feel a bit, meaningless...

I believe that the game had a great deal of potential that was squandered and dissipated by the direction that DE has decided to take the game and the things that DE has focused their resources on.

Instead of investing in the creation of well-organized factions and enemy mechanics, DE has lazily added reskinned and garishly recolored eximi and other unit variants with mind-numbing mechanics like auras to make things more "interesting".

DE seems to always have resources to make new Warframes, but barely balances the frames after release. If you want a frame's abilities to be improved you'll have to wait at least a year after its release for changes that occasionally make the frame worse.

The in-game energy economy is so blatantly sloppy and out-of-whack that energy isn't a serious resource players have to manage, which leads to ability spam and severe exploits.

As mentioned earlier, gameplay is so trivialized by the ubiquity of energy and simple damage mechanics that DE has resorted to limiting player ability usage with nullifiers and magnetic and drain enemies instead of fixing the underlying issues.

There are many obvious issues that DE seems indecisive about, such as pure damage in the modding system, prime Warframes not being able to equip vanilla skins and un-equip prime-accessories, the extreme reliance on RNG in almost every aspect of the game, the unbalanced energy economy, a poorly executed melee system that probably won't be reworked.

At one point I remember being very excited about the future of Warframe. Now that DE has a track record of development to measure, I no longer feel such an excitement for significant future improvement.

Edited by Jamescell

It's a great game, but if not played gradually, and instead played at a high speed like typically encouraged, burnout becomes far more prevalent. The fact that it's a great game means after you recover from the burnout you come back, but if you fall into the same trap of trying to "beat" everything fast, you will burn out again. This is why I've recently taken to doing solo missions with Ivara, trying to go for 100% stealth completion (Doing it on defense is amazingly satisfying.)

Edited by ArchangelusAlpharius

I've been playing this game since closed beta and honestly this game has only gotten much better. I personally have never understood why people say DE have become more greedy and I've even seen reviews saying DE doesn't care about their player base. I do agree with some stuff has become worse/more grindy like the new relic system I'm not a fan of it but I don't agree with literally half the reviews I see on steam these days.

I totally understand their frustration, but it's unfair for long time vets to post negative Steam reviews.

I HATE [DE]'s recent decisions...refusal to add innate area looting, HEMA research, refusal to implement a token system for sorties, etc.  But I can't deny that I've invested many hours in the game and honestly enjoyed the majority of that time.

I'm not playing Warframe nearly as much lately, but a multi-year vet will have a different experience than a new player.

Edited by Tizodd
typo

12 minutes ago, Tyrian3k said:

My opinion in short is that DE introduces tons of new things, but barely ever polishes any of the already existing things.

This. Pretty much this. We already know DE delivers when it comes to updates. But when it comes to quality testing, bug testing, and over all polish. They preatty much fall flat when it comes to that regard. That and timely delivery.

Also if you've notice all of them squandered at this game's lackluster and infuriating grind. Which is this game's biggest fault.

Edited by Gunstray

direction in witch game going is pretty bad...i cant see enjoyment in game anymore all we getting now is pure distraction from problem witch are obviously ignored...huge grind walls without real goals..very poor rewarding system.. constant practice realising good stuff... left ppl to   put money in game  then nerf  is become practice...game without clear goals..

My opinion is the exact opposite of those.

Warframe 2+ years ago didn't draw me in.

Endless missions bored me to the point where I had to walk away. I wasn't having fun trying to get primes and nothing else was a big enough draw to keep me around.

I came back a few months ago and I absolutely love it now. I'm constantly having fun and I no longer have to force myself through boredom and the abomination that was endless missions to get prime parts. That alone was enough to keep me around but I love the feeling of power I get, the frames and the weapons.

They need to keep going in the direction they are. Over this past year it has become one of the more popular games on PC which it wasn't when these "vets" enjoyed it. If DE had listened to players like that, they would probably  have folded by now due to lack of profit.

Keep doing what you do DE.

Except Archwing, that I don't like. It makes me physically ill with motion sickness, stop trying to push it on us constantly. That isn't appreciated.

Everything else, absolutely golden.

15 minutes ago, Gunstray said:

This. Pretty much this. We already know DE delivers when it comes to updates. But when it comes to quality testing, bug testing, and over all polish. They preatty much fall flat when it comes to that regard. That and timely delivery.

Also if you've notice all of them squandered at this game's lackluster and infuriating grind. Which is this game's biggest fault.

personally id say lack of required information for new players is the biggest flaw, you will get nowhere in this game fast without consulting the wiki for nearly everything just to see how things actually work, unlock, etc, its been the biggest gap in the game for ages, its why all my friends/family ive tried to rope in just gave up in frustration.

32 minutes ago, Jamescell said:

I believe that the game had a great deal of potential that was squandered and dissipated by the direction that DE has decided to take the game and the things that DE has focused their resources on.

Instead of investing in the creation of well-organized factions and enemy mechanics, DE has lazily added reskinned and garishly recolored eximi and other unit variants with mind-numbing mechanics like auras to make things more "interesting".

DE seems to always have resources to make new Warframes, but barely balances the frames after release. If you want a frame's abilities to be improved you'll have to wait at least a year after its release for changes that occasionally make the frame worse.

The in-game energy economy is so blatantly sloppy and out-of-whack that energy isn't a serious resource players have to manage, which leads to ability spam and severe exploits.

As mentioned earlier, gameplay is so trivialized by the ubiquity of energy and simple damage mechanics that DE has resorted to limiting player ability usage with nullifiers and magnetic and drain enemies instead of fixing the underlying issues.

There are many obvious improvements that DE seems indecisive about, such as pure damage in the modding system, prime Warframes not being able to equip vanilla skins and un-equip prime-accessories, the extreme reliance on RNG in almost every aspect of the game, the unbalanced energy economy, a poorly executed melee system that probably won't be reworked.

At one point I remember being very excited about the future of Warframe. Now that DE has a track record of development to measure, I no longer feel such an excitement for significant future improvement.

I do kind of agree on most of these things, but don't you agree that they have done something right, like the core gameplay, and the second dream (which was mind blowing for a veteran)

And what keeps you playing, even with all of these things? (I have to admit, kind of a difficult question, so if you don't find a good answer I understand)

6 minutes ago, Ailissa said:

My opinion is the exact opposite of those.

Warframe 2+ years ago didn't draw me in.

Endless missions bored me to the point where I had to walk away. I wasn't having fun trying to get primes and nothing else was a big enough draw to keep me around.

I came back a few months ago and I absolutely love it now. I'm constantly having fun and I no longer have to force myself through boredom and the abomination that was endless missions to get prime parts. That alone was enough to keep me around but I love the feeling of power I get, the frames and the weapons.

They need to keep going in the direction they are. Over this past year it has become one of the more popular games on PC which it wasn't when these "vets" enjoyed it. If DE had listened to players like that, they would probably  have folded by now due to lack of profit.

Keep doing what you do DE.

Except Archwing, that I don't like. It makes me physically ill with motion sickness, stop trying to push it on us constantly. That isn't appreciated.

Everything else, absolutely golden.

Can I ask how far you got into the game 2+ years ago?

7 minutes ago, Methanoid said:

personally id say lack of required information for new players is the biggest flaw, you will get nowhere in this game fast without consulting the wiki for nearly everything just to see how things actually work, unlock, etc, its been the biggest gap in the game for ages, its why all my friends/family ive tried to rope in just gave up in frustration.

That I can agree with, but I can see how DE is having a hard time keeping people interested and updating the early parts of the game, and they have made some good improvments with SoR and everything, but it can still be improved

Just now, EagleShado said:

Can I ask how far you got into the game 2+ years ago?

MR12, I left not long after Archwing launched. 

I played for over 500 hours. I didn't just start and decide I hated it. It wasn't until the endless grind that I started to lose interest. I didn't enjoy it. Spending 2+ hours in a mission to get a chance at an item I wanted, it bored me to tears. I can't think of anything worse in the game than being stuck in a single mission for that long, it was awful and i'm extremely happy they changed it.

My Opinion is that the Steam Review are full of:

Image result for salt gifImage result for salt gif

In all seriousness though, even though I only started on March 30, 2016 (So I'm more of an intermediate player), in my opinion, the game has gotten much better than when I started even though they removed Dark Sectors a few months before I started. I actually like the relic system even though those salty posters didn't. I never got a rare prime part till then and it was released 4 months after I started playing. I also like Rivens unlike them. I admit though that the Hema's research cost and The Glast Gambit were mistakes because of the former's high resource cost and he latter's boringness. 

Edit:

Yes, but they did admit that the Hema was a mistake, and a big one...

I know, but a lot of the posters reference that when they falsely claim that the game is P2W so I thought that I would mention it.

Edit 2:

I agree with the focus system problem

They have stated that some time early this year, (probably February), they will start updating Focus and mixing it with Transference in small increments.

Edited by thewhitepanda1205

2 minutes ago, FoxyKabam said:

surprised anyone actually read my review

Well, it did kind of blow up, compared to many other reviews.

Can I ask you to explain more how DERebecca lifted the game to the place it is today, more than the other devs?

Eh, I'm just frustrated with the repeated cycle of DE releasing new features (both necessary or unnecessary) and just forgetting about them until long in the future, when the decent and really focused feedback is likely long forgotten about come the time they eventually get around to it.

It keeps happening. Like when Focus was released... It had a big ol' beta tag attached. That gave me the impression it'd be constantly changing and developed. Has it? No, not really. After I think about a year of minor talk here and there giving the impression of potential depth and development, they insert Focus as some sort of surprise at the end of TSD. Yet after all that talk, it's pretty much still at step one and not having that much to it, not to mention some of the paths just straight up sucking needing buffs etc...

It's a huge example of DE's problem of drop and flop practice -  where they drop a feature into the game and it just flops because they barely do anything with it.

Kubrow's is another feature, that took far, far too long to be updated despite having the glaringly annoying issues right at their front door. To be honest Kubrow's still need more attention anyways. Any sign of that on the horizon? Of course not.

They're like a child with a new toy or puppy at christmas. Seem to love it at first but then move onto the next more 'interesting' thing.

Edited by Naith

Just now, thewhitepanda1205 said:

My Opinion is that the Steam Review are full of:

Image result for salt gifImage result for salt gif

In all seriousness though, even though I only started on March 30, 2016 (So I'm more of an intermediate player), in my opinion, the game has gotten much better than when I started. I actually like the relic system even though those salty posters didn't. I never got a rare prime part till then and it was released 4 months after I started playing. I also like Rivens unlike them. I admit though that the Hema's research cost and The Glast Gambit were mistakes because of the former's high resource cost and he latter's boringness. 

Yes, but they did admit that the Hema was a mistake, and a big one...

1 minute ago, Naith said:

Eh, I'm just frustrated with the repeated cycle of DE releasing new features (both necessary or unnecessary) and just forgetting about them until long in the future, when the decent and focused feedback is likely long forgotten.

It keeps happening. Like when Focus was released... It had a big ol' beta tag attached. That gave me the impression it'd be constantly changing and developed. Has it? No, not really. After I think about a year of minor talk here and there giving the impression of potential depth and development, they insert Focus as some sort of surprise at the end of TSD. Yet after all that talk, it's pretty much still at step one.

It's a huge example of DE's problem of drop and flop practice -  where they drop a feature into the game and it just flops because they barely do anything with it.

Kubrow's is another, that took far, far too long to be updated despite having the glaringly annoying issues right at their front door. To be honest Kubrow's still need more attention anyways. Any sign of that on the horizon? Of course not.

They're like a child with a new toy or puppy at christmas. Seem to love it at first but then move onto the next more 'interesting' thing.

I agree with the focus system problem, but what's the problem with the kubrows?

10 minutes ago, EagleShado said:

I agree with the focus system problem, but what's the problem with the kubrows?

Still seem to have shabby AI and pathfinding. With the recent 'Vacuum Within' they've taken a seat even further on the backburner. We need more control over them and I still think they need a bit of a buff, considering some of the enemies they blindly run into ending up bleeding out on the floor. Yup they can become good with forma but they still seem to lack something. Visually? Also think they need an update in regards to their fur and what not. Also maybe some more features (tails, ears, noses? etc.) introduced like we have with Kavats.

I mean for crying out loud, we've now moved onto infested Kubrow's yet they seem to likely still be using the Kubrow skeleton, its features and will unfortunately suffer from the Kubrow's problems too.

Prior to their 'recent' update, the features they eventually introduced were sort of needed much earlier on but once more, quite overdue in their arrival despite the numerous threads we had on Kubrow's at the time. Kubrow's were a bigger issue back in the past, it's lessened now but I wouldn't say they're finished or at a suitable stage at the moment.

13 minutes ago, thewhitepanda1205 said:

They have stated that some time early this year, (probably February), they will start updating Focus and mixing it with Transference in small increments.

To be honest this is exceptionally long overdue. It should have been updated or developed earlier last year closer to the '15 TSD release, not at the start of 2017 near the release of '16 TWW which also took, very long to develop. Further to that, the general sense I've got is that for what we got in TWW, it didn't seem to justify the fat off wait. I understand it was a bigger update and was split up so ultimately had less, but I can also see where people are coming from with the discontent.

Edited by Naith

57 minutes ago, EagleShado said:

Well, it did kind of blow up, compared to many other reviews.

Can I ask you to explain more how DERebecca lifted the game to the place it is today, more than the other devs?

the long and short of it is that shes the one we get to interact with the most, even if shes delivering bad news its easier to take if shes the one telling us.

the things some of the dev's say or act have set the community into riots and Rebecca is usually the one to smooth things over, to express to the dev's how we're feeling and what we'd like to see, even if some of the dev's shut her down, she our inside contact.

personally its felt like shes the only voice we get when it comes to dev decisions, and I can't think of a single time shes ever done us wrong. if not for her efforts I know there would not be anywhere near the number of players today.

warframe's been a roller coaster ride since it came out, and space moms been there to hold our hands through it.

talking about some of the other Dev's would get me banned from the forums, so I'll leave it at that

15 minutes ago, FoxyKabam said:

the long and short of it is that shes the one we get to interact with the most, even if shes delivering bad news its easier to take if shes the one telling us.

the things some of the dev's say or act have set the community into riots and Rebecca is usually the one to smooth things over, to express to the dev's how we're feeling and what we'd like to see, even if some of the dev's shut her down, she our inside contact.

personally its felt like shes the only voice we get when it comes to dev decisions, and I can't think of a single time shes ever done us wrong. if not for her efforts I know there would not be anywhere near the number of players today.

warframe's been a roller coaster ride since it came out, and space moms been there to hold our hands through it.

talking about some of the other Dev's would get me banned from the forums, so I'll leave it at that

Hey man, sorry but one more question, did your love hate relationship with the game make you quit?

Or are you still playing or just checking in now and then?

I have had faith in the simple fact Steve had a bigger vision than they could give us in the first two years and that over time that vision would find itself into the game.

But I have allways had a problem with Warframe. Some players just love collecting and having everything as fast as possible. That's the ride for them.

This game is for them.

Surprisingly I am still here even though I am a true FPS and RPGplayer that usually frown on 3PS and MMO-farming.

At its Core,  this game is still an instance-based COOP hordeshooter about getting the next new thing.  It wants to be more than that buy its hard when it used to be nothing BUT a hordeshoooter with fast action.

If Warframe was released today in modern unreal-engine, with a complete campaign and a polished and well written story, with dedicated servers, it would be really interesting how well it would work.

And allso what parts of what we have today they would keep. Damage, scaling, modding, Focus; all that could be reviewed or scrapped.

I REALLY hope that the descision to leave the damage-mods alone will not prove dissasterous in a years time. I really hope so.