Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

DE, how about some "Totally New" Prime Only Weapons?

Rolunde

So what I mean is that I think it'd be great to see DE give us some more Prime weapons that we just don't have the cheap knockoff versions of elsewhere.

For one thing, I really think this would help with the whole Riven situation while adding in some cool new items too. 
The Aklex Prime coming out meant that anyone that had a Riven for their Aklex got hit by the nerf-bat. Sure there were plenty of us that wanted the Aklex Prime to be a thing but still, it sucks for those that have those Rivens.

In the past, they have done a few "prime only, Dakra Prime and Reaper Prime, so it's totally a thing already. Sure maybe the Dakra Prime was the primed version of the Cronus or Pangolin, but then again it isn't because it's not straight up called "Cronus/Pangolin Prime".

Not only would this mean not having to "rebalance" Rivens based on them getting Primed but it'd leave a ton of room for still making the Wraith/Vandal/Prisma/Dex versions of weapons.

And who knows (besides DE of course and maybe not even them?!) what's going to happen with Umbra stuff. I'm not saying they will or should make "umbra weapons, with +100% more edge" but this would allow for that if that might ever be a thing too.

And hey, it might even be a little more exciting to get this totally new weapon that's not a Prime Upgrade version but something unique like we get to see with Infested weapons.  

Anyhow, that's something that popped into my head.

Cheers!
~R~

3 minutes ago, Rolunde said:

Dakra Prime and Reaper Prime, so it's totally a thing already

It might have been a thing 4 bloody years ago when Primes were brand new, but I don't see this happening at all. 
Primes are meant to be incredible upgrades to weapons we already know and love. If we're getting something completely new, then why make it a Prime? Just for Riven Disposition's sake? Come on, don't be silly. DE could easily just make Riven Disposition specific to weapon variants instead.

I....like this idea. It's very likely that the orokin had some weapons that weren't commonly used, something that wouldn't have been common enough for the tenno or corpus to get and make a "non orokin" version of it.

Going a bit further from that, it could straight up be a orokin weapon, something the tenno didn't use because the whole "Masters of gun and blade" cause of the sentients and such...so it would be some fancy smancy high tech gun that spits out just energy, toxin, ect.

And this is very possible for DE to do because, well, they have shown us they can just add new stuff in new relics that they hide away and release only once in a while with the whole Axi A2 thing being exclusive to baro. Baro could come back with more exclusive relics, or DE could put the relics elsewhere, like syndicates or *shudder* sorties...

I think that new unique prime weapons would be neat, I really do...

But balance team at DE tends to make wrong decisions, new primes sound interesting but they also sound scary (to me).

I'd rather DE made riven disposition different for regular weapons and their variants first.

I wouldnt mind either way.

51 minutes ago, Zepp_ said:

I think you are missing the point of a Primed Weapon.

Weapon + changes = Primed Weapon.

You can't have one before the other.  Your example is not how Warframe works today, so there is no precedent as you claim.

Its the other way around. You have prime, its too expensive to mass produce. You change it to be cheaper. Thats your weapon, a simplified version of a prime. From the lore standpoint.

Edited by Xardis

Dakra Prime is known as cronus prime in game files. Reaper Prime could be based on the same model Hate is based on. Its not implicit but the connection could be made.

All the tech of the major two factions in market or labs or drop from enemies are usually derivatives of old orokin tech. Unique stuff like the kuva staff would be things we would never see basic models of that were orokin era. So a prime without a standard variant would be relics of such specific nature a standardized version would serve no purpose. These traditionally should be specifically boss weapons and would likely never need the Prime tag. Seer is somewhat like this.

I think DEs focus on new toys are the sentient arm cannons. Which will likely be similar to primes in that they will be pieces that will require eternal farming. The time to dig into the past for unique Primes I feel has been passed. Unless our conflict with sentients bring about a new void war with some suddenly exposed shoehorned secret Orokin sites. The ancient race that keeps on giving secrets.

11 minutes ago, Xardis said:

I wouldnt mind either way.

Its the other way around. You have prime, its too expensive to mass produce. You change it to be cheaper. Thats your weapon, a simplified version of a prime. From the lore standpoint.

This.

From a Player standpoint we see a weapon and it "gets primed", which means "blinged up with stat boosts".

From a Lore standpoint, Prime weapons are those original items crafted to Orokin specifications.

So I think still speaking along the lines of Lore it's entirely reasonable to have weapons each of Orokin and Tenno origin.  

Like let's say that the Ak/Lex, Ak/Vasto and Akstiletto's are all Orokin weapons where it could be that the Ak/Magnus and Furis could be weapons purely of Tenno design.

I don't know how accurate to the lore this but from the wiki is but:
 " ... The Tenno have created a huge amount of "home grown" weaponry and equipment – much of it descended from Orokin counterparts, but some of it original. ... "

Anyhow, I don't think All Prime Weapons should be something totally new, but I think it'd be cool to see some more that are while allowing for some of our Tenno Weapons to remain strictly as such. 

Maybe this would make it easier or more acceptable for DE to keep adding in Prime weapons that have "special features" without ruffling anyone's feathers. 

Like if the Cernos Prime had been a totally unique Bow-of-a-different-name with that multi-arrow spread, rather of course than the "Prime version" of the Cernos which we already have a Base, Syndicate and Infested versions of, none of which do that.

Instead it could have been the  Ichaival Prime.

Spoiler

"Ichaival, a bow possessed by Odin. Another source said it came from Ydalir, the home of the god Ullr. It possessed the power of each pull of just one arrow will release ten arrows."

2 minutes ago, Firetempest said:

So a prime without a standard variant would be relics of such specific nature a standardized version would serve no purpose.

But wouldn't this mean that DE should no longer put out any new "baseline" weapons and later give us a "Prime" version then?

I mean yeah with them focusing on new Infested and Sentient weapons maybe we won't see any new Baseline<>Prime weapons at all, but I kinda doubt that.

Cheers>
~R~

I wouldn't mind seeing it, but I must ask "Why?"

the thing with the reaper and Dakra primes are that they are basically based off of weapons already in game, the hate/ether reaper and chronus, respectively. 

Others have already stated this, so I won't just rehash what was said. What I will say, is that while I wouldn't mind seeing it, it would be making said weapon a completely unique weapon, and would make the prime suffix pointless flavor text. 

Though this could open the door for a new faction of weapons, instead of grineer/corpus/infested/tenno/prime/miscellaneous, we would have pure or orokin weapons.

Edited by Schregger
Stupid smartphone autocorrect

4 minutes ago, Rolunde said:

But wouldn't this mean that DE should no longer put out any new "baseline" weapons and later give us a "Prime" version then?

I mean yeah with them focusing on new Infested and Sentient weapons maybe we won't see any new Baseline<>Prime weapons at all, but I kinda doubt that.

Cheers>
~R~

We can easily see new tech unique to the current factions that don't rely on orokin tech. And upgrades to those are clan tech or two weapon combos we have been seeing more commonly in the past year. While DE can easily spin around and change Primes' to some other moniker for sentient upgrades to baseline weapons, basically the reverse of Prime lore.

But 'Prime' is kinda stuck as warframes premium content name so we will likely never see a stop to supposed normal equipment which will later have a orokin original.

Well using the Dakra Prime and Reaper Prime as examples for completely original Primes is a bit problematic, since the Dakra Prime was original meant to be the Cronos Prime and DE can always retro-active introduce a regular Dakra. 

As for the Reaper Prime, it might actualy be the prime version of the Ether Reaper. Since we have yet to see if Prime weapons can aesthetically use ether blades. Both weapons are of the same type and named Reaper which could justify them being connected.

While i don't see a real in lore argument against DE creating entirely original prime weapons, i don't think they would do this. As far as it looks to me, prime weapons being based on existing weapons is one of their selling points.

So until they run out of Tenno weapons to prime, they will make them based on existing Tenno weapons.

3 hours ago, Rolunde said:

Like let's say that the Ak/Lex, Ak/Vasto and Akstiletto's are all Orokin weapons where it could be that the Ak/Magnus and Furis could be weapons purely of Tenno design.

Thats where the line starts to blur. Remember, Tenno and Orokin were almost the same. Untill we killed most of them. We still dont know the timeline, how much time has pased since the Sentients were defeated to the murder of Orokin and how much time passed since then to the time we went into cryosleep. Noting suggests that it all happened very slowly. The war might have taken many years. But what I mean is that after it, at least IMHO, it couldnt have happened slowly, there was no need for Tenno, Orokin used Tenno only as a weapon, a corrupted thing that you use when you must, and then lock it away or even throw it out. That war couldnt have taken long, Orokin were formidable, look at Teshin, he is an example of Orokin warrior. But they were not as adaptive as Sentients. And after that war, the system was a ruin, slaves and low class Orokin citizens were at the place. There was not much to do.

That leaves a small window a time for new weapons. Orokin and Tenno weapons untill we killed them were the same. They didnt need conventional weapons, they had defence systems more powerfull than us. They needed us coz Sentients could take control of those advanced weapons. They needed more primitive weapon to fight them, us. Their army was powerfull, but they needed stronger one, Tenno. Their army was ceremonial. We needed practical. So all weapons from that time are Orokin and Tenno. We were their army, so they gave us suitable weapons. Then there was a small window, from the time we killed them to the cryosleep. I dont think that any new weapons were made then, there was no need, no enemies to fight on mass. So we went to cryosleep. And then there is another period for new weapons. Now.

I belive that all Tenno weapon from the old war were Orokin/Tenno. Those after were made only after Tenno came back from cryo. And the lesser versions too. The access to old versions is limited by Void.

So thats my take on it but I can be wrong.

3 hours ago, Schregger said:

I wouldn't mind seeing it, but I must ask "Why?"

The shortest simplest answer is:  "variety"

Rather than just seeing "blinged up power creep" versions of weapons we already have I think it'd be cool to see some that represent weapons that never had knock-off production models made while also allowing for things like "Tenno weapons" by lore and then we could still see "Prisma" and/or "Dex" versions as upgrades to them.

I'm not opposing the idea that the Reaper Prime is the original Orokin crafted Prime version of the Ether Reaper, but I do think it'd be cool if the Reaper Prime never had a "just Reaper" knock-off version and that all the "Ether" weapons are of "Tenno" craftsmanship.

So the thing there mechanically being that the boosted stat version of Ether Reaper/Dagger/Sword could simply be a Prisma Ether Sword.

Or like the Anku, rather than get an Anku Prime we could get a Dex Anku and then DE could still put out another Prime Scythe but give it a wholly different look, something much longer and more like a "fantasy" scythe,  and named something else like Charon Prime and maybe give it innate Viral or Lifesteal or something.

Spoiler

gw901.jpg

Now I totally get that this is basically just fantasizing and a sort of wish listing, but still, could be neat.

;-)

~R~

12 hours ago, Firetempest said:

Dakra Prime is known as cronus prime in game files. Reaper Prime could be based on the same model Hate is based on. Its not implicit but the connection could be made.

All the tech of the major two factions in market or labs or drop from enemies are usually derivatives of old orokin tech. Unique stuff like the kuva staff would be things we would never see basic models of that were orokin era. So a prime without a standard variant would be relics of such specific nature a standardized version would serve no purpose. These traditionally should be specifically boss weapons and would likely never need the Prime tag. Seer is somewhat like this.

I think DEs focus on new toys are the sentient arm cannons. Which will likely be similar to primes in that they will be pieces that will require eternal farming. The time to dig into the past for unique Primes I feel has been passed. Unless our conflict with sentients bring about a new void war with some suddenly exposed shoehorned secret Orokin sites. The ancient race that keeps on giving secrets.

reaper prime is technicly the primed version of the either reaper... notice the same word in both names...  its odd i know, they look nothing alike... my ocd bugs me about it every time i pull out my nekros prime...

16 hours ago, Rolunde said:

Not only would this mean not having to "rebalance" Rivens based on them getting Primed

Them being forced to look at weapon balance is a good thing, not a bad thing. Rivens are the epitome of band aid, anyway, but at least they're another factor DE now has to consider when releasing a new weapon variant, which increases the likelihood of them noticing some completely azz stats on weapon such as the spectra.

21 hours ago, Zepp_ said:

I think you are missing the point of a Primed Weapon.

Weapon + changes = Primed Weapon.

You can't have one before the other.  Your example is not how Warframe works today, so there is no precedent as you claim.

This is the ppoint and shows you don´t know what Primes are supposed to be.

Prime is the original and our non prime are just "ripoffs", so you actually can´t have the "ripoffs" before the prime.

1 hour ago, Kuestenjung said:

This is the ppoint and shows you don´t know what Primes are supposed to be.

Prime is the original and our non prime are just "ripoffs", so you actually can´t have the "ripoffs" before the prime.

Well, you can. And we have. You're think from the lore prospective, not from the game (play?) perspective. Warframe like vauban and nekros came before their prime variants, because that's how we assume DE operates, otherwise I want them to show off what the new bard frame prime looks like. 

From a lore prospective, yeah primes first, mass production warframe & weapons second.