The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Best elemental damage for weapons?

Kowamix

Question

Depends on your enemies I'd say.

Grineer - mostly Corrosive to shred armor or radiation/viral for bombards

Corpus - Magnetic for Shields and/or Toxin to bypass shields and deal direct dmg to health

Infested - Gas/Heat fpr creeps, Corrosive for ancients (creeps die anyway, so better use Corrosive here too)

Stalker and some bosses - viral + radiation

If you are insecure on some enemy tpes, check wiki for further info

melee: Gas+electric, if the weapon can crit decently
secondary: normally radiation/viral (knocks out pesky infested healers auras due to linking) almost always on fast firing weapons..or burst type.
primary: normally corrosive and blast/heat

then again, i fight primarily infested so it works for me.

Edited by xcynderx

1 minute ago, lukinu_u said:

There is no "best damage type".

It's depending on :

• enemis you fight
  • level of the mission
  • the weapon itself
  • your allies weapons and elements
  • your warframe (not always but can be)
  • your play style
  • your mods
  • and maybe more...

^This, also, Wikia or the Codex is your best friend to find out which mod setup works best depending on what you're fighting.

Usually, I do:

Rad+Viral VS Grineer (Alloy plate is weak to radiation and Cloned flesh to viral, which means all grineer) Corrosive helps too.

Mag or Blast+Poison VS Corpus (Putting more into Poison to bypass whatever shield scaling)

Corrosive+Fire VS Infested (Corrosive for ancients which are the only durable targets, and all infested are susceptible to fire)

If the weapon has good status chance, I put Blast specially in high RoF weapons, for added CC/knockdowns.

As has been said, there's a pretty broad selection of "right" answers that vary most in what faction you're fighting. 

So there's not really "A Best" across the board per se, so much as better or worse against different Factions which is complicated to high Hek by the enemy variaiton within each Faction as well.

With Grineer there're Heavy Gunners (Corrosive) and Bombards (Radiation), each is very dangerous and has a different armor type.

With Corpus you get Nullifiers, Techs, and Robotics. There's Sheilds (Magnetic or Electric) and Flesh (Toxin) vs the Robotics (Radiation).

With Infested you get Big Un's (Corrosive) and Creeps (Fire).

With Corrupted you get a mix of Everything, more or less.

Also, it depends on if you want to shoot for Pure Damage (Corrosive, Viral) or mix in some Crowd Control (Cold, Fire, Blast).

There're several good videos on YouTube on the subject, if you're not opposed to watching them.

One of the most recent (by x3lp) covers it in pretty deep detail, with the intent to help make it all easier to remember.
- as a TL;DR for this one there is a really short extra lazy answer in the form of {Corrisive+Cold+Slash}.
 - now please note this disclaimer, he's not saying "this is best always only and ever" he's basically saying "if you don't want to ever swap your elements around, this is the "least wrong" way to go against the broadest spectrum of enemies currently in the game. 

If you're interested in some vids, I'll post some links here:
Warframe - Faction Modding  (by x3lp)
Warframe Damage Types Explained and Guide (by Neso and TP)

Also, the info is all found here, but it can be a lot to take in when you're not already familiar with how it all works - 
http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_2.0

Hope some of this helps.

Cheers and Happy Hunting, Tenno!
~R~

2 hours ago, Kowamix said:

I´ve been using gas damage but i some people say that viral is better others say that explosive is better blablabla what do you think, which is the most used elemental damage by the comunity?

I think the most used is likely corrosive damage due to it being very useful against all factions except for Corpus and its armor stripping capabilities.

Outstanding advice, everyone!

It does come down to the type of enemy and their level. This information can be found on the warframe wiki or in your codex (if you've been scanning like a mad person).

Regardless of my gear or the mission setup, I always bring a primary weapon modded with radiation. Why? CONFUSION! Every mission will have either mobs with alloy armor (Grineer), robots (Corpus), or sinew (Infested). So, why not have a little fun?

Find yourself behind a Grineer barricade? Shoot a scorcher or bombard in the butt, and let them open a hole for you!

Find yourself being trolled by three bursa? Snipe a few ospreys and moas for a buffer between them and you. Hack their console, and mop up the room!

Finding eximus and ancient healers to be annoying? Well, you can turn that passive crap off with your radiated weapon! (This doesn't work against cold powers, unless the shield is down).

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_2.0/Radiation_Damage

On 2/18/2017 at 1:39 PM, Tyrian3k said:

I think the most used is likely corrosive damage due to it being very useful against all factions except for Corpus and its armor stripping capabilities.

I found I like corrosive also, Im pretty new, took some testing but I like the impact on all enemies especially when in a corpus mission and a friggin bursa shows up. Night night 

5 hours ago, Kowamix said:

I think ill use corrosive in weapons and magnetic in melee

You should do what you want but since you were asking about "best" elemental damage I do want to point out that Magnetic is pretty much The Worst.

It's weak (-50% damage) against Alloy Armor (Bombards/Napalms, Elite Lancers) and its Bonus is against Shields which you could just bypass entirely by using Toxin. 

Hek, you'd probably be better off using only Heat than making the Magnetic combo. 

YMMV

It really depends on a lot of factors, one of which is: How much you're willing to optimize your loadout for the mission at hand.

Me? I'm lazy, and always run with a few pre-made set ups that aren't faction specific. I use mostly corrosive (on my primaries) because usually you meet two different kinds of enemies:
1. Enemies that doesn't have lots of armour, and those go down quickly, no matter what your damage type
2. Enemies that have lots of armour, and corrosive makes them more easier to kill.

If your weapon is dealing enough damage, damage type doesn't matter. If your weapon isn't dealing enough damage, the problem is usually enemy armour.

Everyone gave good answers.  They just left out one category that will also make a difference.  The Frame the weapon is being used with.  That one thing can completely change the performance of weapons/procs/elemental combos.  There are some frames (maybe I should say abilities or effects) that boost the damage of slash/bleed and Gas damage by margins that outclass all the other elemental combo choices. 

You have the two scaling hell stats to deal with in the game that can now be found on every faction. Health and armor. Combined, they make a giant wall of meat. As a standard, you should consider corrosive as it will make dealing with health a lot easier as well. So if you're going corrosive, your second dual option is blast at that point. Also very useful for the stun and knockdown proc. The two combined make for a very solid set. Even more so if you're talking about using it on something like the Pox.

Btw, good thing i stumbled across this again. Gas IS great, in a appropiate context.

What makes Gas unique is the fact that it does not only scale from basedamage, like most status types do, but rather takes all damage modifications AND multipliers into consideration. That's but medicore for primary and secondary weapons but pretty much unbeatable for melee. All those combo multipliers, stealth, even finishers(? i think)...it scales off ALL OF THEM, releasing a short ranged aoe.

Keep in mind tho that it's best fit on weapons with a elemental status base... Try the lacera and do a 99% status gas build. Paired with frames that hoard enemys together? (mag, vauban, nidus) - Best weapon.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

12 hours ago, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

Btw, good thing i stumbled across this again. Gas IS great, in a appropiate context.

What makes Gas unique is the fact that it does not only scale from basedamage, like most status types do, but rather takes all damage modifications AND multipliers into consideration. That's but medicore for primary and secondary weapons but pretty much unbeatable for melee. All those combo multipliers, stealth, even finishers(? i think)...it scales off ALL OF THEM, releasing a short ranged aoe.

Keep in mind tho that it's best fit on weapons with a elemental status base... Try the lacera and do a 99% status gas build. Paired with frames that hoard enemys together? (mag, vauban, nidus) - Best weapon.

dont get used to it...I heard that people have been..."complaining" about how OP it is...something about the x8 multiplier stacking like 3 times when invisible (through all sources) so it was getting up to something like x512, which is why its superior on a crit/status melee weapon, or even any melee weapon.

it'll likely get nerfed (FIXED) to x8 (which is FAR too low imo, should be x32 at minimum so its still somewhat viable)...personally i think Gas should do much higher damage compared to other elements as its just an AOE toxin....which sucks on anything that cant hit hard....particularly on primary and secondary weapons (lanka not withstanding as its the only one i know of that can actually give Gas a great time)

Edited by xcynderx