The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Octavia

W00FR

I'm actually surprised this hasn't come up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octavia_the_Younger

Predating MLP for over 2000 years.

Not directly to do with music, more with being the eight child it seems. Which merely means Octave and Octavia (and the male form Octavian) share a common root, the number eight. None of this has any relation to the bardframe AFAICS, just thought I'd place this here for completion's sake.

There IS one overlap though: the sheer lack of creativity from the people coming up with the name. 

I really dislike it.

As a name, it sounds quite ugly in my opinion. It's up there with something like 'Helga' or some kind of barbarian sounding name. As far as the musical relationship goes, I get it, obviously. 'Octave'. However, that's just an interval. It doesn't really have anything to do with melody, harmony, or musical structure. There is such an abundance of great names for a musically-themed Warframe, and I think they picked a really weak one.

The name was drawn from the Design Council thread. It was one of the first submissions and had a lot of upvotes. I remember thinking it was odd because it's such an awful name in my opinion. At the time though, I was unaware of the MLP reference. The submission was probably a joke, and the people upvoting probably were doing so out of amusement. I find it hilarious to imagine that DE selected the name thinking that it was something the community was really behind, when it was just an elaborate troll.

2 hours ago, AM-Bunny said:

~snip~

Posts on the first page of a thread are far more likely to get upvoted than those on later pages, so there's an unfortunate bias. I'd like to see DE picking maybe 10 names they like from the thread and putting them in a strawpoll or something.

That way there's no first page bias, and people would have to pick their favourite rather than just upvoting any that look good.

As for the name, I don't think Octavia is a good fit. From the name alone I know Excalibur is a Swordframe, Rhino is a Rhinoframe and Mag is a magnetic frame.

Octavia is what... an ancient Roman female frame? Kay.

Just a bit of an fyi Octavia in MLP first appeared in only a couple frames of the last episode of season 1, it was a background character with no name.  That particular fandom gave names to those that didn't have ones stated.  Octavia got her name in this manner and later got some additional air time.  Moreover fans also did fanamations of quite high quality and gave her a voice that was so good it was also later copied by the show itself

Just as fans named it on mlp then such is true now with the bard frame.

Point of reference this is entirely fan made its quite funny it actually lead to her further appearances In the show, even if you hate the show this is an enjoyable parody

26 minutes ago, hazerddex said:

i guess you could say shes one Octav higher then banshee :P 

im just going to use Nonon  for a color pallete 

that or this NieR-Boss-Battle_06-16-16.jpg

I'll be honest. I am surprised people are still replying on this post lol

On 3/13/2017 at 4:43 AM, Filly90 said:

Very nice name for sure but one thing... Every pony fan collectively sighed at that name revile for the Bard frame.

Expect Octavia colored Octavias all over warframe. You have been warned

Yep. I have been so f:cking hyped for this frame. Before Nidus came out,  (and I got to input some names for him in council chat),  I was more hyped for bard. I didn't even care about Nidus. He seemed boring to me. Same thing happened with Titania. And now she's soooo close. I'm totally colouring her like Octavia from MLP (side note,  they guy that thought of Octavia had another. Name in mind that was completely disregarded for Octavia :P he didn't really want octavia himself :P

P. S . Sorry for the weird word formatting. I have a really fu:king annoying glitch with forums. On my phone where the text will join to previous written. Words and screw my entire sentences up. @[DE]Steve plz fix. Only way to fix it is put random. Fullstops in my sentences :(

Edited by Arniox

7 minutes ago, Arniox said:

Yep. I have been so f:cking hyped for this frame. Before Nidus came out,  (and I got to input some names for him in council chat),  I was more hyped for bard. I didn't even care about Nidus. He seemed boring to me. Same thing happened with Titania. And now she's soooo close. I'm totally colouring her like Octavia from MLP (side note,  they guy that thought of Octavia had another. Name in mind that was completely disregarded for Octavia :P he didn't really want octavia himself :P

P. S . Sorry for the weird word formatting. I have a really fu:king annoying glitch with forums. On my phone where the text will join to previous written. Words and screw my entire sentences up. @[DE]Steve plz fix. Only way to fix it is put random. Fullstops in my sentences :(

Oh yeah. I am totally doing that too. Seeing how many people got triggered by this post is making a great argument for me to actually paint her that way.

1 minute ago, Filly90 said:

Oh yeah. I am totally doing that too. Seeing how many people got triggered by this post is making a great argument for me to actually paint her that way.

Lols, I just want. To colour her that way cause I watch MLP. but that works as well :P

2 minutes ago, TheChaotic1 said:

It was put to a vote tho, so people clearly like this name? I dont understand how there is even a thread to complain about the name. Warframe has such a wonderful community

Let's he honest here. The only people that are complaining are the ones who are still mad over the fact they didn't get an Ignis Wraith. I don't see why you could hate Octavia as a name. 

1 minute ago, Filly90 said:

Let's he honest here. The only people that are complaining are the ones who are still mad over the fact they didn't get an Ignis Wraith. I don't see why you could hate Octavia as a name. 

You are underestimating the salt level of the average user. But this post does prove my point of the community being wonderful

Just now, TheChaotic1 said:

You are underestimating the salt level of the average user. But this post does prove my point of the community being wonderful

It just proves to me that people can't take a joke. Either way, it's better than the CS:GO  and Overwatch community