The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Does anyone Channel?

(PSN)drpunk-yo

3 hours ago, (PS4)drpunk-yo said:

Every so often, after a mission, I'll have picked up some channeling mod and I wonder how many different channeling mods I've got now and wonder what kind of builds might be possible and what kind of channeling shenanigans you could get up to in missions.

Then I get back to my ship, I start a new mission and I just melee stuff to death with my primary weapon equipped again. It's not broke (well, technically my War is but that's besides the point) so why bother fixing it?

But I wonder if I'm missing out on a part of the game I should be having fun with instead.

So, does anyone actually channel? Are there different builds to play with or is it "just stick this and that on and be done" even if you do channel? Or is it a total waste of time and not even worth pursuing?

I pretty much only channel with nekros since I use a desecrate build and use it to get rid of excess energy. Sometimes I do it to look cool or when I'm leveling a low melee weapon.

I am surprised by the opinions here on channeling.  I admit i know little about it, and didn't go near it to start with, but i use it quite often now.  It gives a speed boost to your attacks (at least it looks and feels that way)  the trails are awesome and it offers more damage.

If i have a large mob that im trying to cut through with melee, i use channeling and compared to not using it, it is a MUCH faster and more effective option.

My energy pool doesn't seem to be affected too much and as long as i use it in bursts, running out of energy rarely happens.

I do use energy siphon aura on my warframe, which admittedly, im not 100% sure how it works, but it does seem to make some sort of difference.

So yeah, it looks cool, adds speed and damage and lasts longer than it did at the start.  I am only using Excalibur and only occasionally use the blind skill. Sometimes i whip out an exalted blade but meh, I much rather use my energy on channeling, without any mods on my weapons that boost this mechanic.

Really cant understand why this isn't more common and i am starting to feel like i must be doing something wrong!

Here is a question, After putting the energy siphon mod on my warframe, i notice i go into a semi channeling state from time to time when my energy pool is full.  Can anyone explain this?

Thank you!

Edited by (PS4)brettles1983

I channel for 3 reasons:

1. Disintegrate bodies (For stealth or just awesomeness)

2. Have full energy so might as well, extra damage yo

3. Make glaives explode and come back to you

I don't use Life strike but that's valid too.

Well, I have a despoil Nekros build that includes equilibrium that I do almost nothing BUT channel with. Despoil uses health. Nekros desecrates health orbs and almost instantly picks them up. Equilibrium gains energy out of the health orbs. Basically a constant stream of energy, so channeling works well. And no life strike needed. Of course Naramon helps out. 

6 hours ago, (PS4)brettles1983 said:

Here is a question, After putting the energy siphon mod on my warframe, i notice i go into a semi channeling state from time to time when my energy pool is full.  Can anyone explain this?

Thank you!

No idea, sorry.

I'd imagine the average Excaliber player blinds more than you seem to. I know I blind quite a lot. But as long as you're getting stuff deaded and enjoying yourself then who cares how you're doing it.

The problem with channeling is that there is not enough incentive to build around it.  The damage channeling does is grossly overshadowed by combo counter, crit, and status builds.  The mod slots become very important when you are trying to reach for extreme high damage.  

7 hours ago, ThePhalanx said:

A nekros build with equilibrium/despoil can permanently channel (with lifestrike equipped) for infinite health - add that to shield of shadows and health conversion and, as long as things get killed around you, you are invincible.

5 hours ago, (PS4)Effrimal_ said:

Well, I have a despoil Nekros build that includes equilibrium that I do almost nothing BUT channel with. Despoil uses health. Nekros desecrates health orbs and almost instantly picks them up. Equilibrium gains energy out of the health orbs. Basically a constant stream of energy, so channeling works well. And no life strike needed. Of course Naramon helps out. 

Add a set of arcane grace and pulse for a truly meta build. :satisfied:

Edited by (XB1)FCastle74

It seems there's a bunch of people that don't know just how good channeling is.

While there are some situational, or just plain bad channeling mods, killing blow, reflex coil, and life strike are basically all you're going to use.

And to get an idea of some numbers, lets say you've got a furax wrath laying around. This thing has a +80% channeling multiplier, so its a good thing to put those mods on.

You throw together the basic blood rush build, because crit, and decide to drop life strike and put on a reflex coil, and killing blow, and use a focus strike instead of a shocking touch, to further lower the channeling cost. Now you've got an energy cost of 1, and your beginning non crit damage is now 639, up from 231.

So at the cost of 1 energy, you've more than doubled the damage. But it doesn't stop there.

Say you crit while channeling, that'd be 2,231 on a base combo counter. That's pretty huge.

Now say you've built up a 2x combo counter, which is actually pretty simple to do. At this point you will have a 107% crit chance thanks to blood rush, and your damage output will roughly be 2,333, you use up that whole 1 point of energy and channel, and suddenly that 2k is now 6k. 6,439 specifically.

I forgot to mention its also possible to channel boost the damage of redcrits, but that's for another post entirely.

So to tldr, channeling is good for you, and you should do it more often, because I am confident you can spare 1 point of energy.

15 minutes ago, Sakatchi said:

And to get an idea of some numbers, lets say you've got a furax wrath laying around. This thing has a +80% channeling multiplier, so its a good thing to put those mods on.

You raise some very interesting points, thanks for that.

But that one above stood out the most. That's a stat on a weapon that I've never even really noticed. I've never even considered that some weapons would be better for channeling than others when they obviously are.

Again, thanks.

Edited by (PS4)drpunk-yo

On 3/21/2017 at 10:36 AM, (PS4)drpunk-yo said:

Every so often, after a mission, I'll have picked up some channeling mod and I wonder how many different channeling mods I've got now and wonder what kind of builds might be possible and what kind of channeling shenanigans you could get up to in missions.

Then I get back to my ship, I start a new mission and I just melee stuff to death with my primary weapon equipped again. It's not broke (well, technically my War is but that's besides the point) so why bother fixing it?

But I wonder if I'm missing out on a part of the game I should be having fun with instead.

So, does anyone actually channel? Are there different builds to play with or is it "just stick this and that on and be done" even if you do channel? Or is it a total waste of time and not even worth pursuing?

actually i have a channeling nikana and orthos build.  Surprisingly stronger than both my crit and status builds for the blade. 

when I was new to the game, I channelled constantly because apparently to melee in this game you press the e button and not m1/m2 for quick/heavy attacks.

but throughout most of my adventures, I pretty much only channel to lifestrike.

oh and that one time I did this kooky guardian derision/ack & brunt tether link block "I am a tank" build that used the channeling mod that gave you 20% increased armour while channeling and a bunch of channeling mods and you stood around and tried to look useful (but you weren't actually useful)