Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should the motto of "Ninjas Play Free" be dropped?

I believe the term Ninja in this game is the Ninjutsu or Ninpo discipline. 

Ninjutsu  /ninˈjo͝otso͞o/  ---

The traditional Japanese art of stealth, camouflage, and sabotage, developed in feudal times for espionage and now practiced as a martial art.

I think that fits the Tenno way easily.

Then again the ninja probably refers to the parkour 

5 minutes ago, (PS4)Neon-Psychosis said:

But what if I'm not a ninja, and still played the game for free??

Maybe they should have said "only" ninjas play for free...

So damn vague!!

Well, then you are technically a thief and I think thiefs used to loose a hand. /jk

Warframes are puppets. Not ninjas. They are collectable toys that operators use to play Space Ninjas just as kids used to play with G.I.Joe toys and say "I'm a soldier with a kung-fu grip." 

We were Ninjas until we started to bunny hop walls, wear bunny ears, and flop to the floor when the kids stepped out to do no Parkouring or flips or any if the Ninja we had prior. 

"Where ninjas roamed free" would be a better one nowadays. 

8 hours ago, (Xbox One)Rey Za BurreI said:

I was just thinking about this the other day after someone mentioned it in a discussion. Looking at Warframe, we have more than just space ninjas. We have dragons, fairies, mummies, aliens, etc.So the question is, should there be a motto change?

Ninjas play free; we (the players), are the ninjas.

Warframes are just warframes.

or did the game started playing us lately, and we are on a simulator of a simulator?

2 hours ago, JalakBali said:

The most popular mainstream anime with ninjas as their theme has: ninjas that can breathe black fire that cannot be extinguished. Ninjas that can travel to a pocket dimension. Ninjas that can summon giant magic animals. Ninjas that can control plants. Ninjas that can turn into water. Ninjas that can create giant magic mecha. Ninjas that look like punk kids, plants, dogs, snakes, sharks, strippers, bugs, nurses and robots.

I think you underestimated what the modern entertainment has done to ninjas.

To be fair though, at least in regards to that particular anime, the magical aspects of it actually originate from ancient japanese legends about Ninjas where they did that sort of thing.

I say keep it. sure, the Ninja theme is pretty loose, but compared to the characters you play as in games like Call of Duty, Battlefield and other shooters, we're far more ninja-like: we have Parkour, martial arts and we sneak into enemy bases to kill them and sabotage their stuff. I believe Tenno are more like the perfect killing machine. magic, weapon mastery, mobility, strength, we have it all.

the Ninja thing is just to entice people, because people who haven't seen Warframe will think "ooh, ninjas!"

A ninja (忍者?) or shinobi (忍び?) was a covert agent or mercenary in feudal Japan. The functions of the ninja included espionage, sabotage, infiltration, assassination and guerrilla warfare. Their covert methods of waging irregular warfare were deemed "dishonorable" and "beneath" the samurai-caste, who observed strict rules about honor and combat.

You are thinking of the folktale version of the term "Ninja".

8 hours ago, Kaotyke said:

You are thinking of the folktale version of the term "Ninja".

What he posted is the true meaning and history of the term "ninja/shinobi".  That wasn't a folktale but real true life history.  The magical aspects to ninja are the folktales. 

edit:  After re-reading the post, I realize what you were actually saying.  :D

Edited by DatDarkOne
spelling

13 hours ago, (Xbox One)Rey Za BurreI said:

I was just thinking about this the other day after someone mentioned it in a discussion. Looking at Warframe, we have more than just space ninjas. We have dragons, fairies, mummies, aliens, etc.So the question is, should there be a motto change?

I think it should be changed to "Teenage Mutant Cyborg Space Ninja Super Heroes play for free!" ;-)

5 hours ago, Kaotyke said:

A ninja (忍者?) or shinobi (忍び?) was a covert agent or mercenary in feudal Japan. The functions of the ninja included espionage, sabotage, infiltration, assassination and guerrilla warfare. Their covert methods of waging irregular warfare were deemed "dishonorable" and "beneath" the samurai-caste, who observed strict rules about honor and combat.

So that's where the mission types came from. Tenno really are futuristic ninjas.

Edited by (PS4)Lowk721

Nah, it's fine, and it's close enough to the truth in the early to mid game for it to ring true for most players up to that point.  In fact, since Parkour 2.0 it's been more true than it was at any time in the past, really.

Edited by Omnimorph