Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Good 'Melee frames'?

mosaickle

Question

I know guns are a thing in warframe (lol) but I feel like 80% of my gameplay right now is basically melee.

What frames are good at being upfront melee combat?

Out of the 'probably popular contenders' I have Saryn, Valkyr, Inaros and Wukong who I'm loving right now. All my other frames are moreso ranged (or Loki but he's too squishy and I don't like his permastealth mechanic but that's just personal preference)

rhino, chroma, = armor

valkyr, wukong, excalibur = 4th skill melee dudes

ash, loki = melee stealth dudes

octavia = buffer ( tested with ODS 40th mins hp wont go down as long all d buff are up and u keep hitting)

basically, you can get the armor dudes and the skill dudes and use naramon to make it more stealthy xd

13 minutes ago, rudman88 said:

rhino, chroma, = armor

valkyr, wukong, excalibur = 4th skill melee dudes

ash, loki = melee stealth dudes

octavia = buffer ( tested with ODS 40th mins hp wont go down as long all d buff are up and u keep hitting)

basically, you can get the armor dudes and the skill dudes and use naramon to make it more stealthy xd

That exactly, nothing much more to add.

Maybe one more... Volt!

With his speed boost he can run and swing any heavy weapon like it's made of paper... same goes to Valkyr, when she activate her 2nd skill (use it with augment mod and you have perma speed boost, and not only).

Hey guys, thanks for the answers, I really REALLY don't like Rhino, he has nothing special about his kit and that is entirely a personal preference, I'm pree close to building Chroma anyway. I'll look more into Octavia though that's for sure

Chroma's practically a god at melee since he can facetank practically anything without breaking a sweat. Loki is practically a god at melee since he has amazing crowd control and permanent stealth multipliers, and can avoid all damage without breaking a sweat.

Inaros is definitely up there as well, since he's pretty darn good at tanking, relatively decent at CC (approaching "pretty-darn-good" territory with a max-Range build), and also able to make liberal use of stealth multipliers.

For other frames, the usual suggestions are the usual: ExcaliBlade/Wukong/Valkyr (for their ults), ExcaliBlind (for amazing CC + consistent stealth multipliers + god-tier mobility, at the cost of survivability), and maybe Ash (for decent invisibility, at the cost of CC). Along with a large smattering of other frames with good melee synergy (e.g. Rhino, Octavia, Volt, etc). Probably a bunch of other good examples that I forgot as well.

Just note that virtually any frame can become amazing at melee if you've got Naramon.

Edited by SortaRandom

5 minutes ago, rudman88 said:

Rhino is actually the msot convinient of them all.

you can armor yourself with skill 2 unlimited time till it break

3rd skill up ur damage

4th skill is AOE cc

it looks lame but is damn convienient xd

The braindead simplicity of Rhino's moveset is part of why I love playing him so much. He's basically just a heavy all-rounder in high-leveled missions, but if he has one aspect that truly "stands out" compared to other options, it's that he's amazingly reliable despite his lack of depth.

Not to mention that he's got bloody fantastic mobility if you have half-decent Range, which is crucial for melee (yet is something that most frames lack).

Edited by SortaRandom

Equinox with Augment'd Pacify works pretty nicely at Melee range
as the closer you are to enemies, the stronger the slow down and weaken effects.

Trinity can tank somewhat proficiently with the stacking damage reduction from Link + Blessing
(plus of course Blessing insta-heals), you can use Quick Thinking as a further safety net.

Nekros with Shield of Shadows isn't too shabby, either. (Yay Slash-heavy Melee for Desecrate.)

Zephyr and Mesa are pretty much bullet proof so closing the distance into Melee range is no biggie.

Chroma               : For weapon-specific melee, survivability and high damage. (Bonus: You get to make basically any melee weapon viable)

Valkyr                  : You want to melee, but don't mind using Valkyr's preset Hysteria attacks (Bonus: Invincible)

Inaros/Ash/Loki   : You want to melee, but don't mind using dagger-oneshot (Bonus: Inaros survivabily|Ash/Loki stealth)

Wukong               : You want to melee, but don't mind using Wukong's preset Primal Fury attacks. (Bonus: Near invincible with Defy)

Excalibur             : You want to melee, but don't mind using Excalibur's preset Exalted Blade attacks. (Bonus: High damage, high efficiency, decent survivability)

Mirage                 : You want to melee, but don't mind using whips/Orthos Prime (High damage and range)

Any other Warframe is viable obviously, but these are just specific examples of what the "Melee based Warframes" are and what they excel at.

21 minutes ago, junyynyyn said:

I love how everybody has forgotten about Atlas.

To be fair, I thought of mentioning him, but really,
he doesn't have anything specifically Melee-enhancing
(Armor helps against everything and an ability that scales off Melee Mods is a different matter in my book).

Sure, One-Punch Man action aka Landslide is fun and potentially stupid strong
... if you mod your Melee a specific way, actually lessening the Melee fun / variety you can have in regular use :(

Then again, with him not relying on buffs to be tuffs,
he certainly is a solid (get it?) enough choice for e.g. popping Nullifier bubbles from the inside.
And I guess Rumblers (especially Augment'd) can divert some enemies' attention while you charge towards heavies.

Okay, now I feel like dusting off ol' bacon apron Brawlerframe and taking him for a spin. You happy? :D

I personally love to use volt prime with melee, I've built him with a lot of power efficiency and duration together with primed flow, so i can cast "speed" as many times as i want that in combination with primed fury, primed reach and berserker makes it faster than the eye can see. gelatine clears out rooms faster than a tigris prime. and if you acquip cleaving whirlwind. the EE pause EEE attack spins the mofo around so fast that basically anything would die. 

Any frame with even melee supporting abilitys can be considered a melee frame with naramon in the game :p

In therms of damage there's banshee and chroma (both can make use of naramon, chromas naramon build is kinda special tho.)

Ash and wukong can prolong the combo counter (ash not so much but he can prolong it from afar.)

Valkyr and Volt got quite the nice speed buff too..

I can highly recommend Ash, Valk, Volt (prime, definitly Prime.) and chroma. Those 4 are probably the most flexible choices while still supporting melee.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

I use volt prime, and one thing it looks like most people forgot (unless i scrolled past it), is that first you need to get into melee range.

So sure, take your slow tanky builds in, get there with some damage already. 

Oooor use volt's speed to not only bullet jump/roll/parkour to an enemy nearly as fast as a bow shot, but then tear them up with the remaining speed buff.

Besides, if you happen to get into trouble, you can get out just as quickly as you came in, which works especially well with a high shields build. (Jump in, do damage until sheilds get low/break, jump out, regen shields, repeat)

Yeah Melee Volt is fun, though funnily enough, I often don't even use Speed :P

Like, I simply stunlock the entire tile with 235% Range Discharge
(which also fills up Overshields for me & my buddies near instantly, huzzah)
and then leasurely red crit Orthos Prime spin to win through everything :D