The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I wish DE would try harder on their skins like other people do

Savvii

4 hours ago, Hypernaut1 said:

I find a majority of tennogen, while great looking, not truly fitting the aesthetics of WF. I think some people just think its cool to crap on the devs

Agree. I find the majority to be a little too busy, and not really in the right style. Although amazing quality! The Graxx skins are my favourite by far, beautiful work that doesn't clash with the universe (if you don't spend too much time thinking about Grineer brand 'frames) IMO.

Edited by JCBeastie

while Op indeed lacks any substance to his argument, I do think that recently dev-released syandanas and helmets have been quite lackluster. Deluxe skins are fantastic, but recently i haven't had any desire to buy a single dev-made scarf or cloak to put on my frame unless it was on sale. some of them have an interesting concept, like the centuria syandana, but they look unsightly and way too small to be worth using. The kuva cloak is a prime example- i love the design but it's tiny! I wouldn't want to wear it over something like my nelumbo or pakal or solstice vanquished banner. Even the Ki'teer razza syandana feels like i have little diamond-shaped strings hanging off my back. I absolutely love the new repala syandada, but I'm not gonna go put money in my steam wallet just to buy it because i have over 1000 platinum sitting on my account. Besides size, quite a few syandanas are just blatant reskins. the samia, izvara, bombyx, nelumbo and the foxglove are all basically the same cape, yet they all cost varying amounts! 

Porqe no los dos?  Right...  I dunno Spanish but that sounds right *nod nod*.  That being said there are discrepancies here and there sure in terms of quality, but more options is never bad in my opinion.  

DE has some stellar designs and the community works off that creative energy to create other cool and awesome designs.  Like today for example with the Repla cape or whatever it is called, a real cape, the day has finally come, I couldn't throw money fast enough at the screen, it just looks amazing in my opinion.

Frost, Rhino, Oberon,Trinity, Ash, and Loki deluxe skins were not designed by DE (They paid an artist to do design for them, then when said artist was unhappy DE made modifications to his Ember deluxe design, they terminated the partnership)

If you liked any of those, congrats we're not getting anymore where those came from.

Edited by PrivateRiem

5 hours ago, Comrade said:

while Op indeed lacks any substance to his argument, I do think that recently dev-released syandanas and helmets have been quite lackluster. Deluxe skins are fantastic, but recently i haven't had any desire to buy a single dev-made scarf or cloak to put on my frame unless it was on sale. some of them have an interesting concept, like the centuria syandana, but they look unsightly and way too small to be worth using. The kuva cloak is a prime example- i love the design but it's tiny! I wouldn't want to wear it over something like my nelumbo or pakal or solstice vanquished banner. Even the Ki'teer razza syandana feels like i have little diamond-shaped strings hanging off my back. I absolutely love the new repala syandada, but I'm not gonna go put money in my steam wallet just to buy it because i have over 1000 platinum sitting on my account. Besides size, quite a few syandanas are just blatant reskins. the samia, izvara, bombyx, nelumbo and the foxglove are all basically the same cape, yet they all cost varying amounts! 

I will agree that DE capes aren't the greatest.  The only one I like is the torn grineer one. The others just look very clunky or rubbery to me. Some of those tennogen capes are must buys though.

10 hours ago, Midrib said:

I think its pretty obvious that he is talking about Tennogen skins in general compared to DE's designs.

In terms of cosmetics like Helmets and Syandanas, I completely agree, Tennogen has DE beat, Tennogen creators just give more desirable Syandanas & helmets, While DE just tries too hard to be weird and it just ends up looking bad in my opinion, You can see this when you compare something like Volt and Atlas base helm and alt helmets vs Tennogen stuff.

Deluxe skins is a 50/50 for me, In one hand some Deluxe skins bring a great model to the mix for an example Rhino & Trinity deluxe skins, But on the other, You have skins that don't have that big of a model change, yet are so great looking like the Graxx skins & the recent Ivara ones, its really tough to judge between them at least for me.

If DE just tries to dish out what is desirable instead of trying to be weird and quirky, then it would be much closer, but right now, I would rather have a Graxx Valkyr skin than a Gersemi one.

Whereas I think that Tennogen is technically well executed but mostly, awfully generic and in many cases completely missing the point of Warframe's aesthetic.

But many people don't seem to have any real sense of aesthetic consistency and think it's awesome to use something that is a better fit for power rangers than Warframe.

Edited by SilentMobius

5 minutes ago, SilentMobius said:

Whereas I think that Tennogen is technically well executed but mostly, awfully generic and in many cases completely missing the point of Warframe's aesthetic.

But many people don't seem to have any real sense of Aesthetic consistency and think it's awesome to use something that is a better fit for power rangers than Warframe.

This is my feeling too. Alot of the designs look too robotic with smooth panels and such. I wish more designers tried to for a WF theme like the graxx skins.

12 hours ago, Savvii said:

I would actually have something to use my plat on than slots or potatos

For the most part i agree however, few weeks ago i bought the new frost skin which looks amazing and tonight i just bought the chroma pack and he looks sexy asf

10 hours ago, JCperfect said:

You do realize you are talking about a company that employs a team of designers that is under an already very tight schedule to release cosmetics to the public VS enthusiasts who make cosmetics on their own free time and can easily exercise creative freedom, right?

Not 'white-knighting' here, but more like I know what the real world is. Maybe if you work in a corporate setting (or even work at all beyond fast food) maybe you'd understand a thing or two how things work.

lul

1 hour ago, Hypernaut1 said:

This is my feeling too. Alot of the designs look too robotic with smooth panels and such. I wish more designers tried to for a WF theme like the graxx skins.

While I appreciate the asymmetric design of the Frost Graxx skin, I'd generally lump them in with "Not getting it". The whole point of the Grineer design aesthetic is "broken down, retrograde industrial". Sure the Kuva-themed stuff works, because that is just a variant on the Orokin theme, But Grineer themed Warframe? It's kind like Zulu themed 1870's British Soldiers: all the design languages come from a specific battlefield but the combination doesn't make a lick of sense  and just makes the setting less coherent.

Edited by SilentMobius

The skins DE make are good. Some, Amazing. I think the whole point of Tenno gen is because DE understands there's more creative talent in the world then just them. Everyone has different styles and that's a big reason I started playing warframe. Warframe has set a bar and is easier to add on to it then completely make something new. So whether you like it or not, if it wasn't for DEs design in the first place there wouldn't be this amazing set of creative work inspired be DEs original design.                                      On a side note: DE has chosen to stick with the "warframe"style and Tenno gen has more freedom with the theme i.e."Graxx" yes it looks great and that's why is in the game. But from a lore point of view...nope.

Edited by (XB1)JoshxCarmine

16 hours ago, Ryme said:

DE appreciates inner beauty more than the superficial appearances that you seem to be so fixated on. 

That's why they create deluxe skins and allow players to create their own skins. I mean its about inner beauty before $$, right?

Sorry, but this time I agree with OP, DE doesn't seem to put too much effort in deluxe skins nowadays. I have low hopes for Mag deluxe and Ember as DE tend to ruin, for the lack of the better word, the initial concept for the skin. I don't wanna re-ignite this IgnusDei controversy, but DE's art team needs to step up in their game.

Orphid and Gersemi were both amazing skins

Strega, Palatine, that Ash deluxe skin and Feyarch had this plastic texture problem despite being good skins, and DE ruined Strega for me with those weird legs. Why can't they stick to its original concept art?

Loki Knave was meh, not too bad but they shouldn't have applied this stupid plastic texture.

Nova Asuri skin is trash, enough said.

Tennogen artists do skins for the sake of making them cool and appealing, yes, everyone knows that yet most of them don't fit the theme of Warframe that much however, that doesn't mean the art team should not step up to their game.

For now I will support tennogen artists by buying their skins until DE stops making plastic looking skins and stick to their original concept art, then I can support them both.

Edited by heskaroid

13 minutes ago, heskaroid said:

Sorry, but this time I agree with OP, DE doesn't seem to put too much effort in deluxe skins nowadays. I have low hopes for Mag deluxe and Ember as DE tend to ruin, for the lack of the better word, the initial concept for the skin. I don't wanna re-ignite this IgnusDei controversy, but DE's art team needs to step up in their game.

Strega, Palatine, that Ash deluxe skin and Feyarch had this plastic texture problem despite being good skins, and DE ruined Strega for me with those weird legs. Why can't they stick to its original concept art?

Loki Knave was meh, not too bad but they shouldn't have applied this stupid plastic texture.

Tennogen artists do skins for the sake of making them cool and appealing, yes, everyone knows that yet most of them don't fit the theme of Warframe that much however, that doesn't mean the art team should not step up to their game.

For now I will support tennogen artists by buying their skins until DE stops making plastic looking skins and stick to their original concept art, then I can support them both.

This should be the post in the OP of the thread. Explaining the vague positioning of the original poster in actual detail, with feedback on what particularly you were disappointed about, what you do tend to like/not like, etc. 

There's some good feedback here. Too bad the OP didn't consult you for some tips on writing feedback before starting this thread. ; P 

6 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

This should be the post in the OP of the thread. Explaining the vague positioning of the original poster in actual detail, with feedback on what particularly you were disappointed about, what you do tend to like/not like, etc. 

There's some good feedback here. Too bad the OP didn't consult you for some tips on writing feedback before starting this thread. ; P 

Well I would be bad at giving tips since...

I was never soft with DE to begin with.

Just now, heskaroid said:

Well I would be bad at giving tips since...

I was never soft with DE to begin with.

It's not about being soft imo, it's about knowing how to articulate your feedback. I am sometimes very critical of them, and sometimes nice, it depends on what they do. 

But always, like your post, I try to detail what I like or dislike, so they know what could be improved specifically. OP's post unfortunately lacks detail, your post has lots of it. 

They designed the world, enemies, NPCs, bosses, warframes and more; from scratch. And they look amazing. With tennogen you have just a fraction of that, worked on by a ton of people from that model, even more people votes for the most popular, and then the DE art team takes it into the game. The effort is on DE's side by miles.

Think before posting. 

15 hours ago, OGodKing said:

all the white knights came through 

Yep lol & I agree with the OP all of the recent synadanas made by DE aren't so hot . They're bland and weird . I think they are trying to keep to a certain asthetic then actually make sales . I'm glad somebody said it 😂 . 

I pretty heavily disagree, though there's bound to be a good amount of cosmetics you don't like through sheer volume I heavily prefer warframe's typically unconventional artstyle. I like most of the alt helmets, all of the deluxe skins, though I think armour and syandanas are pretty hit and miss. Tennogen provides more backpacks though, I'm pretty much done with capes and the like, I need more stuff like jattuk and raiji.
There are far too many items I see people call ugly that I just don't understand why, asuri was the only one that made sense and it really only looked bad because of the default colours.

2 hours ago, heskaroid said:

I'm going to have to slightly disagree here, because if any skin had a 'plastic' texture, it was Saryn Orphid. Obviously, this is our personal tastes (I thought all of the aforementioned skins, except Asuri, were great), but I don't think that DE is really 'going down' in terms of quality. I like some of the Tennogen. I hate some of them. Same with DE-cosmetics. I love some, I hate some.