Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Things I would like to see with Plains of Eidolon

Antiphoton

Hello, everyone!
I wanted to share with you some thoughts I had after watching the new stuff announced at Tennocon. I'm very excited for Plains of Eidolon, and I believe that even if DE delivers half of what they are promising, it will still be amazing.

A little background: I love this game, but after having more than 1000 Steam hours with it, I got bored. The designs, the concepts, the ideas and the potential are great, but in the end the gameplay for me became extremely boring. Basically, I agree with what Mogamu said in one of his last videos, about us being "all dressed up and with nothing to do".

After watching the Tennocon reveal, my hopes and my hype went to unexpected levels. No one knows how well it will be all implemented, but it seems that DE at least is trying to focus on the stuff that me (and many others) wanted them to. I'm happy and grateful for that.

However, I'd like to bring up a few smaller points regarding this matter. It would be great if DE kept them in mind when polishing the release:

- Warframe balance:
 This is extremely important for me, and going "open world" is a nice opportunity to check that things are even. Right now, we have a lot of frames that, in comparison to others are either
  . Extremely weak (Zephyr, Hydroid)
  . With outdated and useless abilities (almost every frame has one or two of those)
  . Extremely strong but boring (Chroma, Mesa, Nova, Loki)
  . Clunky and not enjoyable (Equinox)
There are other examples, these are just the one from the top of my head. Seeing how we are going to be exposed to a completely different environment, just please don't forget to tune the frames accordingly.

- Gameplay variety:
I think this is exactly what DE is preparing, but still, it needs to be said. In the current iteration of the game, if, let's say, I need to farm X material for X prime part, the best way is just take a Nekros with a Galatine Prime to the correct node, and press E for 20 minutes. With Tempo Royale you don't even need to press "forward". If you want to complete X sortie, most of them can be soloed with Loki in a matter of minutes like they are nothing. With the amount of power we currently have, it feels as if we are playing with cheat codes the whole time. There is no middle point: we either obliterate our enemies until lvl 120 more or less, or they become extremely bullet-spongy and one shot any of our frames. And to make things even worse, there is no point in doing missions with harder enemies. So, lack of challenge + constant repetition = boredom.
Please add new and unconvetional stuff to Eidolon. The nighttime sentients attacks seems very promising. Another stuff I always wanted to see is combat in obstacle course-like scenarios, like the last part of Octavia's quest. That was amazing.

- Invisibility:
This is just a personal thing. I played a lot with Loki back in the day, and right now I have a urge to use Ivara on the new map. But I also love fashionframe. If you are not changing how invisibility works, then please change how it looks so we can see our warframe while the ability is active.

Thanks for reading. Best of wishes for the new update, I'm really looking forward to it!

Cosmetic weapon attachments that can change the function or sounds of your weapons while in combat?

That'd be awesome, and it'd be the NPCs at the Ostron Hub to do it. HEK, we can make our own weapons, why not make modifications to existing ones?

In Warframe, the enemy numbers are the game's biggest crutch. Any weapon that can't take out groups of enemies is immediately discarded. Single target weapons are useless, due to enemy numbers, health, density, and the fact that they swarm you from everywhere. There's multiple tactics, but they all come down to one thing - your ability to mow down dozens of enemies with one hit, shot or ability cast.

This incredibly restrictive and ultimately, the best options are abilities and weapons that don't require aiming or skill, and you have to constantly aoe down the whole room. Taking cover isn't an option, manipulating the enemy really isn't an option. If you try to take cover, someone will shoot you in the back, because that's how enemy spawns are. 

You basically have only one viable playstyle. This is further compounded with how the game rewards speed over anything else, and how the costs of things again - don't lend themselves to various playstyles. It's all about how much resources you're getting per minute, and oh boy - you need to be getting a lot per minute. 

If you want to use a rifle, good luck keeping up with the enemies. It just isn't going to happen. This is also Harrow's biggest problem and why you should play him as a melee frame - with melee you're going to easily get kills dozens of kills. But if you're aiming for individual enemies' heads... that just isn't going to fly. 

42 minutes ago, Antiphoton said:

Hello, everyone!
I wanted to share with you some thoughts I had after watching the new stuff announced at Tennocon. I'm very excited for Plains of Eidolon, and I believe that even if DE delivers half of what they are promising, it will still be amazing.

- Warframe balance:
 This is extremely important for me, and going "open world" is a nice opportunity to check that things are even. Right now, we have a lot of frames that, in comparison to others are either
  . With outdated and useless abilities (almost every frame has one or two of those)
There are other examples, these are just the one from the top of my head. Seeing how we are going to be exposed to a completely different environment, just please don't forget to tune the frames accordingly.

- Gameplay variety:

- Invisibility:
This is just a personal thing. I played a lot with Loki back in the day, and right now I have a urge to use Ivara on the new map. But I also love fashionframe. If you are not changing how invisibility works, then please change how it looks so we can see our warframe while the ability is active.

Thanks for reading. Best of wishes for the new update, I'm really looking forward to it!

Hi Tenno!

I too am looking forward to the Plains of Eidolon but just to comment on the points you've made.

I think Warframe balance is a bit of a subjective topic. If you do not already know, Hydroid Prime is the next frame. Scott has confirmed Hydroid is being reworked to coincide with the release of Hydroid Prime, similarly to how Oberon was reworked in time for Oberon Prime. Zephyr is also in need of love I agree.

However, you may think that Chroma, Mesa, Nova, and Loki are "extremely strong but boring" but that is just your view. I am sure a lot of people have fun with those frames regularly (I know I do), you say that Equinox is a bit clunky and not enjoyable for you but I have personally never had an issue with Equinox. It was a bit of a learning curve at the start but once you get to knowing what both sides of the powers do it's not very difficult and you can flow fluidly throughout her 8 powers. I think we should wait until the Plains of Eidolon hit the live servers first before making any adjustments as any adjustments made before will have only been tested internally and most of the playtesting is actually done by the players when content goes live.

I do indeed welcome game play variety, I am excited for all it has to offer! Though the invisibility bugs me, I'm not sure I'd like to see myself while invisibility is active mostly because I wouldn't be able to really tell if I am invisible or not. It could be a buff indicator or something but then you'd have to track your eyes to it at the top of the screen or to the bottom right corner where the timer is. The most obvious way to know if you're invisible is to, well just see it by being masked.

Edited by Vindicative

1 hour ago, Antiphoton said:

They are CC frames, that's their job in the team. Not every frame should be a nuker.

I would like to see pet humanoid cat creatures that help you hunt monsters.

37 minutes ago, Mak_Gohae said:

They are CC frames, that's their job in the team. Not every frame should be a nuker.

I would like to see pet humanoid cat creatures that help you hunt monsters.

Compared to others, they are weak CC frames. Team roles are an illusion currently. Unless for some reason you want to do a high endless run, nuking is the only thing that is optimal with our current loadouts. I don't like that and I would like it to change.

20 minutes ago, Antiphoton said:

Compared to others, they are weak CC frames

No, they work differently which is the true argument here. Some frames are easy to play with while others require a bit more work that people dont want to do.

. Team roles are an illusion currently.

This is true, once DE bought into this idea of weak frames roles where dropped.

Unless for some reason you want to do a high endless run, nuking is the only thing that is optimal with our current loadouts. I don't like that and I would like it to change.

Then dont call frames weak and saying Min/maxing is the optimal thing because with min/maxing there will always be few choices.

Since I'm normally the marksman/fire support in premades with my friends, This update in particular is the most exciting news I've ever heard. The main problem I had with our current tilesets is that they can essentially be boiled down into looking like a maze, with only one way to get from Point A to B and no alternate routes between tiles, With this, it should now be possible to flank enemies from any direction, so I can now tackle the problem from the angle I chose, not what the map happens to arrange for me at that time.

6 hours ago, Antiphoton said:

Hello, everyone!

A little background: I love this game, but after having more than 1000 Steam hours with it, I got bored. The designs, the concepts, the ideas and the potential are great, but in the end the gameplay for me became extremely boring. Basically, I agree with what Mogamu said in one of his last videos, about us being "all dressed up and with nothing to do".

After watching the Tennocon reveal, my hopes and my hype went to unexpected levels. No one knows how well it will be all implemented, but it seems that DE at least is trying to focus on the stuff that me (and many others) wanted them to. I'm happy and grateful for that.

However, I'd like to bring up a few smaller points regarding this matter. It would be great if DE kept them in mind when polishing the release:

- Warframe balance:

- Gameplay variety:
I think this is exactly what DE is preparing, but still, it needs to be said. In the current iteration of the game, if, let's say, I need to farm X material for X prime part, the best way is just take a Nekros with a Galatine Prime to the correct node, and press E for 20 minutes. With Tempo Royale you don't even need to press "forward". If you want to complete X sortie, most of them can be soloed with Loki in a matter of minutes like they are nothing. With the amount of power we currently have, it feels as if we are playing with cheat codes the whole time. There is no middle point: we either obliterate our enemies until lvl 120 more or less, or they become extremely bullet-spongy and one shot any of our frames. And to make things even worse, there is no point in doing missions with harder enemies. So, lack of challenge + constant repetition = boredom.
Please add new and unconvetional stuff to Eidolon. The nighttime sentients attacks seems very promising. Another stuff I always wanted to see is combat in obstacle course-like scenarios, like the last part of Octavia's quest. That was amazing.

- Invisibility:

i just want universal vacuum and dungeons to explore in the open world

3 hours ago, Mak_Gohae said:

No, they work differently which is the true argument here. Some frames are easy to play with while others require a bit more work that people dont want to do.

This is true, once DE bought into this idea of weak frames roles where dropped.

Then dont call frames weak and saying Min/maxing is the optimal thing because with min/maxing there will always be few choices.

The true argument I want to focus on with this thread is how balance has been neglected. A choice of frame should be like a choice of a class in an RPG, not a choice of difficulty setting. If someone wants to play with a handicap for an extra challenge, there are other ways to do it. Not everyone is MR20+ with every frame fully formaed. The first thing many new players do after choosing a starter frame, is choosing which one they want do get next. For some, that will be Zephyr, for example. But when they finally get her, they will find that half of her kit was rendered useless with the release of parkour 2.0, several years ago. And the devs haven't said a word about fixing it in all this time. All I'm saying is that the release of such a major game mode like semi open world is the perfect opportunity to address those balance issues, not only with Zephyr.

In a perfect scenario, there should be defined class roles, with frames that have different levels of complexity and playstyle, while maintaining a similar level of efficiency in their respective jobs, yes. 

Currently we have a case where a bullet jump and a melee ground slam are better than half the kit of an entire frame. I fail to see how people can defend that situation. I'm starting to believe it's a fear of change.

And she is only the biggest example, there are other cases as well. Needing to wait for a frame to be primed before it can be properly tuned will only hurt the game in the long term.

Extremely weak (Zephyr, Hydroid)

Hydroid's rework is next up, Zephyr's will probably come after.

that's just your opinion, not a fact. all 4 of those frames are ones I find enjoyable, especially Mesa.

Clunky and not enjoyable (Equinox)

again, you mistake your opinion as fact. I'm sure there's a few Equinox mains out there who'll tell you she's fun and really not that clunky.

- Gameplay variety:

I'm hoping that the whole "night sentients" deal will be like Dying Light, where it's far more dangerous to be outside the safety of a hub area at night. they said that this would be aimed at veteran players, so I'm hoping these will be things where you have to either run the hek away if your gear isn't up to par, or fight as a team using your best weapons just to have a chance at beating it back (but you'd never truly kill it, onlymake it disappear for the night). there could be unique rewards if everyone bands together against the Sentient, and imagine the battle: dozens of Tenno using powers and weapons in a spectacular battle across a large area: combat on a bigger scale than we've previously seen!

- Invisibility:

I think the easiest fix for this would be to turn the screen a blue Hue and put a buff symbol next to your health bar, so that you can see you're invisible to enemies, and for how long, while still able to see your frame.

1 hour ago, Antiphoton said:

The true argument I want to focus on with this thread is how balance has been neglected. A choice of frame should be like a choice of a class in an RPG, not a choice of difficulty setting. If someone wants to play with a handicap for an extra challenge, there are other ways to do it. Not everyone is MR20+ with every frame fully formaed.

What RPGs are you playing that every class lets play with the same level of challenge? 

The first thing many new players do after choosing a starter frame, is choosing which one they want do get next. For some, that will be Zephyr, for example. But when they finally get her, they will find that half of her kit was rendered useless with the release of parkour 2.0, several years ago. And the devs haven't said a word about fixing it in all this time. All I'm saying is that the release of such a major game mode like semi open world is the perfect opportunity to address those balance issues, not only with Zephyr.

Currently we have a case where a bullet jump and a melee ground slam are better than half the kit of an entire frame. I fail to see how people can defend that situation. I'm starting to believe it's a fear of change.

This is the type of stuff DE shouldn't listen to but they do and all it does is create an endless cylce of buff and nerf. 

Those words in bold are 100% certified BS.