Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Vulbjorn's Infested Shenanigans - Ivara complete, Gauss postponed

Vulbjorn

52 minutes ago, Valiant said:

Very impressive but admittedly some areas look a little blurry/distorted/fuzzy.

That's probably due to shading. I didn't balance it out properly yet, so he has some real thick mud in places, which can look like low-res sploshes.

3 hours ago, Vulbjorn said:

Hey, Vsauce, Vulbjorn here. Loki is finished. Here he is. Will ready promo shots, renders and upload to Steam today-tomorrow. 

Reveal hidden contents

000eee6f66.jpg8dc69d25e6.jpg0c4f498248.jpg56185829fe.jpg370531bef0.jpg554359f086.jpg

P.S. Tentacles should be swooshey. The "brainsac", hopefully, will be pulsating. If I manage to ask DE.

This looks badass 😊👏👏👌

39 minutes ago, Vulbjorn said:

Those blurry/fuzzy areas, though. Where are they? The "exposed" half of the torso?

Yeah, which I think is the exposed half?

56185829fe.jpg

It's mainly the grey areas and places with the dark shadowing. It looks fuzzy (at least to me) where it could potentially be a lot more finer and distinct?

554359f086.jpg

And on the right side here, the shadowing and again the details like curves, it just seems more blurred than what I would expect. The helmet seems to be generally okay, but it's just the torso areas and arms. In fact I'd go as far as to say not just the shadow/dark areas either, the detail on other areas (again the upper torso for example) looks a little smudged/stretched. Maybe it needs some sharpening and refining.

Making these images smaller really refines the detail and lessens what you see when closer up, if it had this sort of detail I'd say it would be okay. Though I don't know how much the shaders improve this.

Ah, yeah, that's just unbalanced shading. Should be pretty easy to fix and shaders DO improve details a whole lot. In game should look good one way or another, players very rarely look at their frames closer than from a meter-two distance.  Thanks for feedback. 

4 hours ago, Vulbjorn said:

Ah, yeah, that's just unbalanced shading. Should be pretty easy to fix and shaders DO improve details a whole lot. In game should look good one way or another, players very rarely look at their frames closer than from a meter-two distance.  Thanks for feedback. 

No worries, looking forward to the end product and I hope you can make that helmet pulsate. As for looking at stuff closer, Frost Graxx has had fuzzy camo lines ever since his release, as we're playing over the shoulder you'd be surprised how annoying something like that is once you notice it especially considering the perspective. On the flipside I'd also noticed the great detail Hitsu put into the leather texture for Frost.

I'm getting more requests for asymmetric helmet.Should I, I wonder? That'll be pretty big chunk of work and I still need to revisit my Volt.

P.S. Sorry, but Saryn is for now off the table. She has metric tonne of skins and I'll probably go for Equinox and syandana in the next round. 

3 hours ago, Vulbjorn said:

I'm getting more requests for asymmetric helmet.Should I, I wonder? That'll be pretty big chunk of work and I still need to revisit my Volt.

P.S. Sorry, but Saryn is for now off the table. She has metric tonne of skins and I'll probably go for Equinox and syandana in the next round. 

For me loki helmet looks ok,but if you create asymmetric helmet then that is even better. But you can start with something new and see in the end is it good to change something on him or not.... 

5 hours ago, Vulbjorn said:

Just be yourself mate, do what you wanna do, follow your heart, your design is wonderful, don't let others influence your inner mind. I'm ready to buy all your works, c:

My heart tells me to go and order twenty pizzas, so I probably also should periodically use whatever's left from my brain. I... don't think that I want to work on Loki's helmet more, it's fine as is. It is very detailed and has some very weird shapes, so adding more asymmetry to it would probably turn him into inhabitant of tenth dimension, i.e. something hard to look at for long. 

I do, however, think that my Volt is a bit more... mmm, safer than it should've been, so I'm revisiting his helmet and probably some aspects of his body in order to make him look more... unique. Thinking about giving him Alien Queen inspired head dress of some sort. It's just really a shame that we can't resculpt bodies too. Confining to sleek lines of original meshes can sometimes really limit where overall design or helmet can go.

Great job, Vulbjorn! Everything on Loki looks fantastic! I love the head in the way the centipede pincers fit perfectly into his design. Especially, the eye sacs nested on the top of his head and a few others scattered over his body! 

Really good work on the under armor/Infested flesh and the detail you brought to the character! The other part I really like is the unique flesh design around the asymmetrical parts around his thighs and hips!

Lastly, you really tied the whole piece together with the design of his carapace and not overdoing it with the patterning on it! 

59 minutes ago, Vulbjorn said:

My heart tells me to go and order twenty pizzas, so I probably also should periodically use whatever's left from my brain. I... don't think that I want to work on Loki's helmet more, it's fine as is. It is very detailed and has some very weird shapes, so adding more asymmetry to it would probably turn him into inhabitant of tenth dimension, i.e. something hard to look at for long. 

I do, however, think that my Volt is a bit more... mmm, safer than it should've been, so I'm revisiting his helmet and probably some aspects of his body in order to make him look more... unique. Thinking about giving him Alien Queen inspired head dress of some sort. It's just really a shame that we can't resculpt bodies too. Confining to sleek lines of original meshes can sometimes really limit where overall design or helmet can go.

This is my old photoshop mix art for future deluxe volt,but helmet that i create can be amazing for your infested Volt look....so maybe this idea can help you 22HB3cv.png 

And for Loki you can see and decided... Pc5vUj5.jpg

Here's his default colourscheme, if someone is interested. A bit of a crappy render with this lighting setup, but eh, will re-render some time later. I don't think I'll redo his helmet (except for some texture changes) but I'll probably check out his arms.

T8wKmGm.jpg

P.S. send help, getting Switch and Breath of the Wild destroyed my productivity this week.

P.P.S. thanks for concepts and suggestions, but I already have a focused idea in mind for my Volt. 

12 hours ago, Vulbjorn said:

That's understandable. In fact, I am personally a bit glad you made that decision, since the amount of skins she has may give incentive in being even more creative with her (even though you already are with your skins).

As for asymmetry, I say do it only if you feel it will actually GIVE something to the design. Going for it simply for "rule of cool" is usually a bad idea IMO, from an artistic standpoint, and many requests may simply be from impulsive "rule of cool" feeling from the idea of asymmetry. For instance, I'm happy that you didn't go asymmetric for Loki, since his body already is. It creates a nice contrast and allows for the head to create less "detail noise", since the symmetry makes our eyes rest easier among the depth of details you put.

I'll officially ask DE to add some animations to the helmet, but I can promise nothing myself. For now I'm trying to learn how to pose my characters and properly light them, so they don't have such, frankly, shameful display screenshots they do right now.

Archived