Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Really? Gara?

ShiraHagane

Of all the names you could have chosen for the glass frame, you chose to go with a butchered form of the word glass?

Context for those who don't know, in the most recent devstream, it was revealed that the design council chose the name Gara for the upcoming glass-themed warframe.

The name comes from the Japanese Garasu, which is literally just the word glass but written in Japanese Katakana.

This is the equivalent of naming frost Is, or naming Ember Fer.  You're just taking the last letter off of what the frame is themed off of, and changing it around so it looks different.

Let's look at some of the latest warframes and where their names come from.

Harrow: let's pretend for a moment that his name isn't just the Katakana form of Hallow, the word harrow means to traumatize or torment, which I don't even really see as being fitting but you do you, at least it's more creative than pries.

Octavia: this name comes from the word octave, which is a full scale of notes, and has been stylized to sound more like a name, more creative than musi.

Nidus: from the latin word meaning nest, it means the site of origin for a disease, and is more creative than infeste

I could go on about how every frame up to this point is named somewhat more creatively than just what their theme is minus a few letters, but this post is already getting a little ranty.

I have been informed that of the 8 page long list of suggested names submitted by the design council, it was DE's desicion to call the glass frame Gara, which was not even a suggestion.

Edited by ShiraHagane

Just now, AdunSaveMe said:

There's also Ivara, and Mesa, and Limbo. Thematic names that aren't just the frame's theme word in another language, or something the frame is made of, like 'silicon'. Come on, we can be way more creative than that.

That's a great point stated here... mesa = table in portuguese... so... not really thematic I'd say.. xD

4 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

There's also Ivara, and Mesa, and Limbo. Thematic names that aren't just the frame's theme word in another language, or something the frame is made of, like 'silicon'. Come on, we can be way more creative than that.

wait, I thought you were criticizing me, sorry

Edited by ShiraHagane

Just now, Sanxxieh said:

That's a great point stated here... mesa = table in portuguese... so... not really thematic I'd say.. xD

Mesa: an isolated flat-topped hill with steep sides, found in landscapes with horizontal strata.

which is what is common in western north america, where the gunslinger phenomena is most often protrayed

2 minutes ago, ShiraHagane said:

even though I'm not criticizing the devs but the design council (that was a criticism of the forum admins, not Digital Extremes).

You know nothing.

Design Council members are not Forum Admins.

Also, Design Council came up with a 8-page-long thread of possible names. I could make you a list of all the names that were suggested, which varied from geographical locations to mythological people to ancient gods to scientific concepts, but the list would be very long and very pointless.

The name Gara is one of the many names. It was selected by DE without further contribution from the Design Council. DE read 8 pages of names, choose "Garasu", and truncated it.

We did not choose Gara. We did not even suggest "Gara" (although one DC member did suggest "Garasu").

Please get your facts straight.

1 minute ago, Dhrekr said:

You know nothing.

Design Council members are not Forum Admins.

Also, Design Council came up with a 8-page-long thread of possible names. I could make you a list of all the names that were suggested, which varied from geographical locations to mythological people to ancient gods to scientific concepts, but the list would be very long and very pointless.

The name Gara is one of the many names. It was selected by DE without further contribution from the Design Council. DE read 8 pages of names, choose "Garasu", and truncated it.

We did not choose Gara. We did not even suggest "Gara" (although one DC member did suggest "Garasu").

Please get your facts straight.

I'm sorry, that's what they made it sound like on the devstream, I'll edit the OP

also, I wasn't saying the design council and forum admins were the same

Edited by ShiraHagane

11 minutes ago, Sanxxieh said:

Mesa's name is referring to the tabletop plateaus you'd find in the West, what with her being a gunslinger and all.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

Gara = Glass people go ape S#&$ Ember = literally fire people don't care Frost = ice people don't care 
so because the frame is named after its theme is bad so why are people complaining now? Really we have so many frames named like this so why is it just NOW a problem? What's the big deal, like really...

Edited by KarltheStabber

5 minutes ago, KarltheStabber said:

Gara = Glass people go ape S#&$ Ember = literally fire people don't care Frost = ice people don't care 
so because the frame is named after its theme is bad so why are people complaining now? Really we have so many frames named like this so why is it just NOW a problem? What's the big deal, like really...

If she was named Crystal, I wouldn't have a problem. If her name was Hari, which is Japanese for glass or crystal, it would be ok. The problem here is not that her name equals her theme, but that they both bastardized a language and then bastardized the result to come up with said name.

Edited by -AoN-CanoLathra-

2 minutes ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

If she was named Crystal, I wouldn't have a problem. If her name was Hari, which is Japanese for glass or crystal, it would be ok. The problem here is not that her name equals her theme, but that they both bastardized a language and then bastardized the result to come up with said name.

Her theme is glass not crystals one of her ablates literally uses molten glass, and its not really bastardized its just shortened which again isn't really a problem that people are making a problem because the forums ran out of things to *@##$ about.