Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Not much hype for a hype site

Hypernaut1

While PoE has a ton of content coming with it, let's not forget that the Plains are the first in what seems to be a long line of world additions. As such, most of the work for this update went into the "under the hood" section. As such, there isn't as much to hype in terms of raw content. Not to mention that the tech itself is being hyped.

1 hour ago, aligatorno said:

You can't really blame the community when DE themselves hype the game constantly. 

I certainly can! Community is supposed to be made up of adults, with functioning faculties of critical thought, and the multi-layered ability to be excited about something and yet hold that excitement in the theatre of one’s own mind and coolly examine it from outside for the flaws. Uncritical hype is for children.

DE are all that they need to be, and we know them. 

2 hours ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Is it just me, or does the PoE hype site seem to have much less hype than previous? Don't they usually do something cool thematically with their hype sites? There's no countdown, riddles, animations, promos etc. For such a big update, you'd think they wouldn't go all out.... Unless I'm missing something?

Most of us are vets here.  We're used to the BS that follows up behind a update.

3 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

I certainly can! Community is supposed to be made up of adults, with functioning faculties of critical thought, and the multi-layered ability to be excited about something and yet hold that excitement in the theatre of one’s own mind and coolly examine it from outside for the flaws. Uncritical hype is for children.

DE are all that they need to be, and we know them. 

Supposed to and reality are two completely different things. Everyone knows that, especially the adults who grew up gaming. ESRB ratings are there to protect the companies from backlash, but we all know that they are not followed 99% of the time. 

Edited by aligatorno

Just now, aligatorno said:

Supposed to and reality are two completely different things. Everyone knows that, especially the adults who grew up gaming. 

Pretty much yep. I'm not even an adult yet and I grew up gaming. But I'm going to guess that a lot of the community is probably grown ups.

6 minutes ago, aligatorno said:

Supposed to and reality are two completely different things. Everyone knows that, especially the adults who grew up gaming. 

That’s true, but we should still encourage people to hold themselves to a decent standard.

Check it:

I am looking forward the PoE release, it looks like it will be fun! I am particularly looking forward to interacting with the Ostron people, finding their Stone Fish lore fragments, that is the kind of thing which DE have in the past been very good at, as with the Synthesis lore and the Cephalon fragments. The setting’s background information tends to be quite interesting and well written, sometimes noticeably more than the core Quest material!

I am concerned about the mechanical balancing and depth of the Focus rework, however, as while it looks not to be as bad as initially presented, it still appears far from perfect. We’ll have to hope that DE are more open to feedback then they have been for the past while.

On the whole, I am cautiously optimistic. If nothing else, sweeping engagements over the hills should be fun!

Edited by BornWithTeeth

3 minutes ago, AcceI said:

Most of us are vets here.  We're used to the BS that follows up behind a update.

im not talking about our hype, im talking about the hype site itself. It seems pretty basic compared to what they've done in the past. Its not even a site this time....its just a page on the regular website.

ah well, was looking forward to something cool.

I am sorry for tuning it for a second time in this topic, but this starts to nag me. 

PoE is already hyper hyped with weeks upon weeks of streams, Twitch players showing stuff, the cross promo, the event that concluded a week ago, the additional information given for focus, the mod sets and so on.

At this point hearing about PoE (outside of Focus and mod sets) makes me go :

b7juZ_.gif

2 hours ago, phoenix1992 said:

You don't need to have Warning points in order to be considered a black sheep.

Shall I remind you of a certain 60+ pages topic that was mostly populated by 4-5 persons?

I have obeyed the rules, and my feedback has come in the form of clear, coherent explanation. 

Anyway, in a return to topic!

There is precisely one thing which DE could announce which would incite me to hype, and that is Operator voice packs. I swear to Canadian Lumberjack Jesus, I would pay five hundred Platinum for an Operator voice pack called ‘Calmly Murderous Space Samurai Gundam Pilot’. Let me deck my Orbiter’s command center with delicate paper screens on the bulkheads, a soft rug epoxied to the decking, and an incense burner. Let me plot the deaths of my enemies using a voice which doesn’t sound like it’s having a tantrum that today’s school lunch isn’t what it wanted.

Give me a voice pack you’d expect to hear from this: 

mech pilot

Edited by BornWithTeeth

13 minutes ago, Mr.ToastForPresident said:

I would say DE is hyping PoE more than the War Within considering the huge advert in Times Square.

Certainly a lot more in terms of quantity, but it seems less aggressive and over promising, which really doesn't seem to have the same effect as the War Within (at least on me).

2 hours ago, Gabbynaru said:

Certainly a lot more in terms of quantity, but it seems less aggressive and over promising, which really doesn't seem to have the same effect as the War Within (at least on me).

It's more like Warframe has been advertising more to a mainstream audience this time rather than hyping it's already existing playerbase like they did with the War Within

2 minutes ago, Mr.ToastForPresident said:

It's more like Warframe has been advertising more to a mainstream audience this time rather than hyping it's already existing playerbase like they did with the War Within

Hence why this thread is here and why it feels so much tamer to us.

35 minutes ago, Mr.ToastForPresident said:

Yeah, i guess the hype felt more "personal" before.  There were lore tidbits, promo codes (really liked that stalker noggle) countdowns, etc. 

I'm not mad at DE though, it is what it is.