Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So... what if Warframe shuts down?

Tellakey

Having dropped no small amount of time and dollars on Tennogen cosmetics, I've been growing increasingly agitated at the thought that, someday, somehow, for some reason or another, Warframe might just shut down. All the investments, both physical and mental, and the hours dedicated toward a sustained virtual reality, simply goes poof.

Have you ever had this thought? How do you feel about it?

Edited by Tellakey

7 minutes ago, JuicyButthurt said:

It's got to end some day, be it DE not willing or not being able to support the game anymore or the players getting ultimately tired of it.

Any psychological anxieties thereabout? I mean, not so much that a game you like has shut down, but that so much investment has gone to waste. Sure, you could say that the journey is the true reward of it all, that the fun and joy of playing was worth it.

It may be the majority's way of seeing it. I just can't. When I invest in something, I necessarily see it as a long-term contribution to my life. An online game is no difference. I hardly play anything, because I'd hate to waste time on something I'd ultimately ditch.

Warframe specifically is a game I feel I can linger about forever. I went so far as to stop video-gaming entirely to ensure that the little time I do dedicate to Warframe is an investment that will last me a lifetime, or however long I can sustain it.

Edited by Tellakey

1 minute ago, Tellakey said:

Any psychological anxieties thereabout? I mean, not so much that a game you like has shut down, but that so much investment has gone to waste. Sure, you could say that the journey is the true reward of it all, that the fun and joy of playing was worth it.

It may be the majority's way of seeing it. I just can't. When I invest in something, I necessarily see it as a long-term contribution to my life. An online game is no difference. I hardly play anything, because I'd hate to waste time on something I'd ultimately ditch.

Warframe specifically is a game I feel I can linger about forever. I went so far as to stop video-gaming entirely to ensure that the little time I do dedicate to Warframe is an investment that will last me a lifetime, or however long I can sustain it.

That seems like a personal issue for you then. Because at the end of the day, it's still just a game. If you can't enjoy it as a journey, then you should probably go do something else, because this is not what should be giving your life purpose and meaning.

1 minute ago, Tellakey said:

I might be the majority's way of seeing it. I just can't. When I invest in something, I necessarily see it as a long-term contribution to my life. An online game is no difference. I hardly play anything, because I'd hate to waste time on something I'd ultimately ditch.

But it isn't going to waste. The investments you've made into the game, you're benefiting from that now. You're making use of that now. So it's not going to waste. To expect any game to last a lifetime is an unrealistic expectation of a game. And if you have a history of playing games for 15-20+ years, then you kinda get used to games eventually dying. Thing is, there will always be more games that you can invest your time into. No game is going to last a lifetime.

Just now, Ryme said:

That seems like a personal issue for you then. Because at the end of the day, it's still just a game. If you can't enjoy it as a journey, then you should probably go do something else, because this is not what should be giving your life purpose and meaning.

Mmmm I think you misunderstood what I was saying. Warframe is not my life, it's not my psychological anchor to which I am bound and under which I will sink. Just saying, I'm not a typical gamer who drifts from game to game simply to play. I like to feel as if my time is well invested in something that can be carried with me wherever I go. In this case, it's a game you can always return to, and that you constantly grow within. 

Let's compare that to a fun ride. Let's say that Warframe is a cool car. Most players would pay for a temporary fun ride whereas I would prefer to not spend my time and money on it, seeing it as an ultimately temporary pleasure. I would rather buy me a permanent car which would last me much longer.

Makes sense?

4 minutes ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

But it isn't going to waste. The investments you've made into the game, you're benefiting from that now. You're making use of that now. So it's not going to waste. To expect any game to last a lifetime is an unrealistic expectation of a game. And if you have a history of playing games for 15-20+ years, then you kinda get used to games eventually dying. Thing is, there will always be more games that you can invest your time into. No game is going to last a lifetime.

Tell that to Maplestory :D

Well, I may have exaggerated by using the word 'lifetime'. Long-a$$-term is what I rather mean. 

But it's a funny thought, isn't it? That right now we all participate in this game and help it develop to (hopefully) something much, much larger than it is, knowing full well that all this work and involvement is going to lead to nothing.

I am sure that most if not all players. if being told that the game has only two more big updates in store and then it's gone, would rather quit it right now, save only to occasionally play out their goodbyes for nostalgia's sake. 

2 minutes ago, AngelicRhino said:

dont think warframe will ever end its to good and DE loving the game if they die from old age or something it will be taken over prehaps?

It's both plausible and utterly improbable. It's hard to conceive of the game as anything than the rapidly growing phenomenon that it is. I cannot imagine a time where DE submits a message informing all remaining players that due to a dearth in popularity the game must shut down. Either some crucial economic crisis will affect online gaming, or perhaps someone will forever jumpstart the standard for all video games to such a level that Warframe will look old-school in comparison, for anything like that to happen.

11 minutes ago, Tellakey said:

Mmmm I think you misunderstood what I was saying. Warframe is not my life, it's not my psychological anchor to which I am bound and under which I will sink. Just saying, I'm not a typical gamer who drifts from game to game simply to play. I like to feel as if my time is well invested in something that can be carried with me wherever I go. In this case, it's a game you can always return to, and that you constantly grow within. 

Let's compare that to a fun ride. Let's say that Warframe is a cool car. Most players would pay for a temporary fun ride whereas I would prefer to not spend my time and money on it, seeing it as an ultimately temporary pleasure. I would rather buy me a permanent car which would last me much longer.

Makes sense?

I think your view of games is a faulty one, quite frankly. Games are temporary. All of them are. The fact that you are worrying about what happens if Warframe shuts down kinda suggests some psychological anchor to the game, because it's causing you to worry. It is good to not become too attached to a video game that you worry about your investment. It's a game. Be a typical gamer. You don't have to drift from game to game just to play it. You can stick with a game during its lifetime, and then you can move on after to something else. Because if you keep treating Warframe like you do now, if it ends, then what? What do you do? Are you depressed because the thing you invested in, the thing that was never promised to be eternal, is gone? You shouldn't even be attached to a vehicle like that. This just my advice, but if you find yourself so attached to a game that you're worried about feeling like your time spent on the game will be wasted if it shuts down, then take a step back from the game. And if that's how you view you your time, such that you don't want to waste it, then it would be better to actually put some of that time into something that is more long-lasting.

6 minutes ago, Tellakey said:

Tell that to Maplestory :D

Well, I may have exaggerated by using the word 'lifetime'. Long-a$$-term is what I rather mean. 

But it's a funny thought, isn't it? That right now we all participate in this game and help it develop to (hopefully) something much, much larger than it is, knowing full well that all this work and involvement is going to lead to nothing.

I am sure that most if not all players. if being told that the game has only two more big updates in store and then it's gone, would rather quit it right now, save only to occasionally play out their goodbyes for nostalgia's sake. 

You're wrong. First of all, it's not leading to nothing. It's a source of your enjoyment right now. That's not nothing. That's a whole lot of something.

Second, most players would not quit right now knowing that the game would end in two months. They'd probably play the game more, knowing that they have a finite time to enjoy it. Most gamers know full well that games are temporary. If you're like this about games, I can't imagine that you've ever watched and enjoyed a film or television series. Because just watching films and TV, you understand the temporary nature of media. This is not an odd situation. It's not some life crisis. This is the situation for every single game out there. Get used to it! Seriously. Make peace with the temporary nature of games. And yes, play some more games! Become a typical gamer. You will actually end up enjoying them more. For your own sake, please, do this.

Edited by A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n

2 minutes ago, ShadowWalker013 said:

If you want some peace of mind, Divide all money spent over hour played (use IG counter not steam) and then compare that to a cinema ticket. Then you'll see you've probably spent more money on movies :)

If only I was a movie-goer. Would rather watch at home to save money/analyze the movie from the comfort of my room.

Honestly, I haven't spent that much money... 50$ or thereabout overall. It's more about the hours at the risk of becoming 'wasted' rather than 'spent'. It all depends on whether this investment lasts. So long as this game exists, it's been worth it. The moment it stops, it's all gone to waste. Funny logic, I know.

Edited by Tellakey

Just now, Tellakey said:

If only I was a movie-goer. Would rather watch at home to save money/analyze the movie at the comfort of my room.

Honestly, I haven't spent that much money... 50$ or thereabout overall. It's more about the hours at the risk of becoming 'wasted' rather than 'spent'. It all depends on whether this investment lasts. So long as this game exists, it's been worth it. The moment it stops, it's all gone to waste. Funny logic, I know.

So if you have, say, 200 hours. You spent 50$ when you reached hour 100. so 50$ for 100 hours of game time which is 0.50$ per hour. A movie costs, we'll say 10$ and last 2.5 hrs. thats 4$ an hour. The problem is that people look upon gaming with a stigma, even though the people that go to the movies every week spend more than we do.

25 minutes ago, Tellakey said:

There was a quote about the time you enjoyed wasting being ultimately not wasted though that's a hit and miss in my case, as I have somewhat of a love/hate relationship with this game, community or even DE.

I've also kept my investments besides money to an absolute minimum, over 4000 hours of gameplay for $20 is great value.

Thing is, even if Warframe is unique now doesn't mean it will remain like this forever, there might be numerous competitors by the time Warframe reaches its dawn.

Edited by JuicyButthurt

Just now, Ksaero said:

Then we'll get Warframe 2 with all our thingies transferred.

We can safely say Warframe 2 will never exist. Why? Because thats Warframe. Nothing is permanent. Systems can change. Laws of physics can be altered. Thats the reason behind Warframe's success. It's always new.

Just now, ShadowWalker013 said:

We can safely say Warframe 2 will never exist. Why? Because thats Warframe. Nothing is permanent. Systems can change. Laws of physics can be altered. Thats the reason behind Warframe's success. It's always new.

Grind, grind never changes ;)