Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why do people get so salty at leeching?

4thBro

Hrm, usually when I jump into Bhere or Hydroid I tell the people ahead of time if they want this to be a focus farm, cause I usually bring Banshee or Saryn depending on my mood, if they say yes then I expect they know how to do their part, if they say no then I gracefully step out, its as simple as that, but If people agree and still try and leech then yes I see that as a problem.  Though its pretty good with Bhere, people usually bring 1 out of the 4 required frame types to the mission.

3 minutes ago, krc473 said:

This strikes me as almost a threat.

This thread is fine. If anyone ignores OP in game, then I doubt they would have been people worth playing with.

Apologies, didn't mean it as a threat, just speaking for a clanmates experience with a similar instance.

Just now, 4thBro said:

It more so sounds like you're trying to make sure you can hate me.

I like carrying. It makes me feel useful. It gives me a sense of paying my dues. And, frankly, it's the best way to Focus farm.

I have zero problems with the subject. I made this thread to try to extend this ease of mind. But it seems people don't want it. It seems people want to hate it.

I'm speaking from experience. Just to give you an example: one Hydron I went as an Inaros that could only pocket sand all day. But i brought a S#&$ty weapon to level. Another person brought a decent weapon but a S#&$ty frame. Up till 5 it was fine. But as soon as 6 started. The other 2 jumped in the rafters and afk'd. They thought afk'ing on us was funny. What ensued was literally 5 of the most annoying rounds of my entire Hydron experience.

An experience that was supposed to be easy because 2 people chose not to do literally anything. And as rough as it sounds, it would have been basically the same experience if the other two were too weak to do anything. The only difference would be they weren't choosing to be jerks.

If you like carrying, great. So do I. I don't enter a mission with anyone else that I can't do myself. But that shouldn't be the expectation. If they need your help, and you can't out of choice to not bring anything useful, you have failed your squad. You can say all day about give and take. That doesn't make leeching any less of a garbage move.

I dislike people leeching.  I don't do it, I don't want people to do it when I'm playing.

I play the game to have fun and enjoy playing the game.  Having someone dancing on the cryopod or doing some other lame b.s. kinda kills that for me.

Of course, I also tend to dislike people taking those "nuker" frames like ember or a maim equinox or saryn.  It just makes the game boring and pointless.

1 minute ago, Knight_Ex said:

I mean OP you take a huge risk making a post like this, its basically painting a target on your back for an in game ignore, you really shouldn't leech but coming out and questioning the reasons why people get upset with you might have not been the best idea :/  ,  If I were you Id get a mod to take this thread down, but this is entirely a suggestion, you can do what you like its your thread afterall.

You made this post like I should be afraid of repercussions. Is that the forum community? Punishing of one whom speaks their mind, regardless of popular opinion?

4 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

1) That's a problem in and of itself and imo shouldn't be possible.

2) You'd be an arse if you did. Whilst I compared the game to my job earlier, the game still remains a hobby. By doing this you're removing peoples ability to enjoy their hobby, and then criticising them for not being able to do anything.

You're a bad person in situation 2. Don't be that guy.

I feel like you really just applied your own beliefs as facts here. Why am I a bad person because I chose to farm on Ember, my fastest farmer? It's not my fault it inadvertently impairs the fun others get to have. I'm just playing Ember.

But additionally in this scenario, there's a legitimate leech and a guy who unwillingly became one. And my point is that REGARDLESS of intentions, both people are effectively the same thing. THE THING IS, it's not like Ember is the only one who does this. MANY frames do this. You'd be burying your head in the sand to disagree with that statement. And so, in a world where all these runs get dominated by 1 person SO often... Why not bring low level S#&$ that you need leveled up??? Legitimately, why not??? I keep sarcastically saying Earth Earth Earth. But I want a serious answer from the majority of you. Where is one seriously expected to level the HORDES of trash items that you need 30'd for Mastery Ranks?

Just now, 4thBro said:

You made this post like I should be afraid of repercussions. Is that the forum community? Punishing of one whom speaks their mind, regardless of popular opinion?

See below.

3 minutes ago, Knight_Ex said:

Apologies, didn't mean it as a threat, just speaking for a clanmates experience with a similar instance.

2 minutes ago, 4thBro said:

Where is one seriously expected to level the HORDES of trash items that you need 30'd for Mastery Ranks?

You level it by actually using it.  Throw some mods onto it and make a contribution to the mission.

It's really not that hard.

Edited by Cifrer
removal of inappropriate language

1 minute ago, 4thBro said:

Where is one seriously expected to level the HORDES of trash items that you need 30'd for Mastery Ranks?

7 minutes ago, Wesgile said:

Personal rule of thumb is to try to stick to around 15%-40% contribution. Bring a damaging frame if you want to level your weapon and use said frame ability once in a while to keep the contribution up, conversely bring a good weapon if you want to level a frame and use it to actually gain affinity faster than you would if you just let others kill. Bringing whole undergeared loadouts aren't necessarily faster especially when people will leave as soon as possible once they saw an afk leecher.

Give and take turns won't work, because the way it is people would leech more than they would carry, and that leads to a carry deficit. And generally people don't like freeloaders.

Anyway this really isn't going anywhere, Leechers are bad, that opinion won't change no matter how much you try to defend it, many games have them and many have systems in place to deal with them, we have a somewhat AFK system that handles things like that as well as a report button, if people suspect that your teammate is leeching and being otherwise "unsportsmanlike" then you can report them, likewise if leechers are getting offended that people are getting upset with them then there is always the option to not play on public, however this will not change the way the majority of the community feels about leeching in games in general.

8 minutes ago, Xion said:

laughing-hysterically-gif-13.gif

Oh man, you're so cool with your endgame knowledge that a new player doesn't have yet.

It's not like I made a thread saying, "leeching in Sorties is Ok in my opinion."

I'm talking about easy horse sh** like Hydron. Namely Hydron, really.

14 minutes ago, FuriousOni said:

Wait until you get into a Hydron group with all 4 players using unranked Frames and weapons.

Yeah, we leave. Next game. A Mesa and a Saryn. Or maybe a Gara. Or maybe an Ember. Who cares, some competent, random guy who can handle solo'ing the waves quickly. Because it's not hard.

That's what happens.

Most people do not like folks sitting around doing nothing, reaping the benefits of other people's effort. Its pretty much a given throughout life. Now perhaps you dont mind, and thats fine, but you're the minority. Its the principle of the matter: You want something? You help get it. Its really just that simple.

I routinely run into Banshees who just wreck Hydron - theres almost no need for the rest of the team to do anything but stand there - but I still run around and kill what I can. Why? Because Im here to play a game, not to let someone else play it for me. 

1 minute ago, Mavor said:

Most people do not like folks sitting around doing nothing, reaping the benefits of other people's effort. Its pretty much a given throughout life. Now perhaps you dont mind, and thats fine, but you're the minority. Its the principle of the matter: You want something? You help get it. Its really just that simple.

I routinely run into Banshees who just wreck Hydron - theres almost no need for the rest of the team to do anything but stand there - but I still run around and kill what I can. Why? Because Im here to play a game, not to let someone else play it for me. 

We need you to kill those pesky Nox's that are out of range, likewise dropping an energy pad really helps out :), Treat your Banshee's well and you reap the focus exp rewards.

8 minutes ago, Cifrer said:

I dislike people leeching.  I don't do it, I don't want people to do it when I'm playing.

I play the game to have fun and enjoy playing the game.  Having someone dancing on the cryopod or doing some other lame b.s. kinda kills that for me.

Of course, I also tend to dislike people taking those "nuker" frames like ember or a maim equinox or saryn.  It just makes the game boring and pointless.

You seem to only like it when people play a very specific way that you expect/want them to.

Call me crazy, but that appears to be way less flexible & reasonable than my stance.

Just now, Knight_Ex said:

We need you to kill those pesky Nox's that are out of range, likewise dropping an energy pad really helps out :), Treat your Banshee's well and you reap the focus exp rewards.

Always happy to oblige =)

4 minutes ago, Knight_Ex said:

Anyway this really isn't going anywhere

On the contrary. I've decided to meet halfway on the matter because of this thread and its replies.

I'll pack one of my big d**k guns along with things I need to leech with. If the group needs help, I can jump down and tear things apart. But if not, I'll opt to have that exp spread by means of not being the killer.

Just now, 4thBro said:

On the contrary. I've decided to meet halfway on the matter because of this thread and its replies.

I'll pack one of my big d**k guns along with things I need to leech with. If the group needs help, I can jump down and tear things apart. But if not, I'll opt to have that exp spread by means of not being the killer.

uhh,,,I don't think you understand how exp works...and wait jump down? Are you one of those people that hide in the rafters in Hydron?

1 minute ago, 4thBro said:

You seem to only like it when people play a very specific way that you expect/want them to.

Call me crazy, but that appears to be way less flexible & reasonable than my stance.

I can see how you take it that way.  I don't really see it that way myself.

I think that the broken frames should get fixed.  If a frame can just wipe everything around it with absolutely minimal interaction, it's broken.  Ember is the perfect example of broken in that she wipes everything low level and ends up being almost useless at high level unless you build her and use her in very specific ways.

I also think that people should play the game instead of just letting it run in the background while other people play and basically do everything for them.

Just now, 4thBro said:

I feel like you really just applied your own beliefs as facts here. Why am I a bad person because I chose to farm on Ember, my fastest farmer? It's not my fault it inadvertently impairs the fun others get to have. I'm just playing Ember.

Don't be ridiculous. I said you're a bad person if you deliberately prevent people playing from the game, and then criticise them for not playing the game. Don't twist my words.

Also, I prefaced my opinion earlier with 'imo', I applied my opinion as opinion, nothing more.

Regardless of my comment above, I do in fact think you're a bad player if you pick Ember knowing you're going to be impairing the fun of others. And yes, of course it's your fault. The game doesn't force you to pick Ember, you make a conscious decision to use her knowing you're affecting the enjoyment of others. Scummy.

We get it though, you have a differing opinion to other people. Why exactly should we care though? We're all entitled to our own opinions. Yours is no more or less special than anyone elses. You don't need to try and what did you call it... ''extend this ease of mind''. No, we don't have to agree with you.

1 hour ago, 4thBro said:

Let's put it this way. On the flip side, I could jump into the game on, say... Ember. Now I'm auto-clearing the map as it spawns. This is doing two things:

1) Now you're not even really able to fight enemies. There's nothing for you to do. Now you're just bored.

2) Additionally, now I could pretend like you're leeching. Even if you're not intending to. Even if you're able & willing to contribute, it doesn't matter. Because you're not. Now you're a leech, just as much as the level 0 guy hiding in the corner. You are now both the same. And the POINT in this one, in case you're not immediately seeing it... is that that's PRECISELY why it doesn't MATTER if someone is being an intentional leech. I don't need that leech to participate just like I don't need YOU to participate. So why NOT be using that opportunity to level your low stuff, rather than come in packing your max level heat for no reason? It's a huge waste.

A game does not need four people playing at their maximum effort & gear just because some people get uptight about a guy who intentionally leeches. Imagine this game if we were expected to backtrack to lowbie missions throughout the entire duration of our MR farming.

Is that really what you want??? You gotta think far down the road before you complain about things.

1. Never seen anyone pretend someones a leech when they KNOW they're nuking the map and no one can get kills
  2. Its also a matter of principle (among all the other reasons people went into). Why are you even logged in if you are going to not play the game? Whats the point? Sure most of us can carry leeches, but that doesn't make it any less irritating and playing with others is part of the fun.

The main point being, just because you can do something, it doesn't mean it's right or that you should have too.

Edited by StinkyPygmy

1 hour ago, Wesgile said:

Give and take turns won't work, because the way it is people would leech more than they would carry, and that leads to a carry deficit. And generally people don't like freeloaders.

Well technically, you only need 1 carry per 3 leechers, so... that argument doesn't work out.

1 hour ago, Cifrer said:

You level it by actually using it.  Throw some mods onto it and make a contribution to the mission.

It's really not that hard.

If you think some 8/8 gun is gonna pull any sort of weight, you're sorely mistaken.

1 hour ago, Knight_Ex said:

uhh,,,I don't think you understand how exp works...and wait jump down? Are you one of those people that hide in the rafters in Hydron?

1 hour ago, Knight_Ex said:

Wait, your new, you've been playing for a few days....how are you even getting access to Hydron? Is a clanmate taxi'ing you?  If so then part of the responsibility falls on that guy.

Whoa whoa WHOA, holy sh**, calm that sh** down. You're on a mad flurry of random assumptions. You're trying way too hard to still hate me.

First of all... I do know how exp works. Maybe you don't?

If I don't kill something but I'm within 50m, that exp gets split to all my sh**. However, if I kill it, then it goes to whatever killed it. Maybe my specific weapon that killed it. Or maybe my frame that killed it with an ability. But generally speaking, I would rather have that get split, rather than having to dictate the distribution manually. Maybe my frame doesn't kill things, like an Oberon or something. Or maybe some of my weapons struggle to kill. Maybe they're some super crappy throwing dagger set. Frame abilities won't have that exp go to it, and so I can either SOMEHOW kill things with these throwing daggers, or I can leech to them.

Secondly... When the flying f*** did I say I've been playing for 2 days? Yes I'm new. But new doesn't mean 2 days; why did your brain automatically assume that extreme and like... LOCK it in, and then continue the same thought accordingly? That's some serious... ... condition you got... I can tell any further discussion with you won't be very fruitful... I meet halfway and you can't even do anything besides twist & stretch things to try to attack me further.

Pretty revealing.

Oh well.

GL to everyone out there, lmao. I tried to spread understanding. People don't wanna understand. (Generally speaking, even. Not just right here.)

To reiterate... I said I'll bring a weapon to be ready to contribute if the team is struggling. But otherwise and alas, the game's exp system encourages me to leech.

Wondering when someone, somewhere, might post something along the line of... "yeah, I haven't thought of a point or two that you've brought up. I will think about that the next time I may have otherwise been inclined to rage at a leecher."

Oh well.