The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Kubrow, Kavat or Helminth?

Vicsvinny

VIHsJjD.jpg

my baby Kyriah, i spent a whole month and a half recombining (before the incubator upgrade) gene imprints to obtain the perfect kubrow for me <3 plus 8 formas

she always is there to save my butt when im in trouble, (shes a raksa kubrow) giving me shields and scaring away enemies

This is an interesting thread, mostly because I don't see a lot of players talking about situational use of companions/sentinels.  

I have a great appreciation for the taxon...but not when I'm using Nidus.  I'd actually prefer the Dirga with Nidus because it has the highest available health and armor in my inventory (I don't have a Carrier Prime - parts are vaulted).  Or I'd take a Djinn for it's fatal attraction mod.  I prefer Wyrm Prime on my Nekros.

The Taxon is great for most of the star map and Syndicate missions, but struggles surviving T5 missions on the Plains and Stage II and III Sortie survivals.  

For everyone that answered Carrier in this thread...does that go for builds where you plan to melee the entire time?  What good are they really doing you?

Any load out with an ignis or other ammo eater gets my 5 forma'd Carrier (I'm from the days when vacuum ONLY came on carrier, which made every other sentinel worthless...and makes companions somewhat worthless in todays game if you really need to catch energy and health orbs, and let's face it, we all do).  

The Smeeta is a great pet for all the reasons listed above, but if my build is good enough, I don't really need her...I need energy orbs.  Critty Cat's awesome, but is it super needed for the majority of the game?

My bulky large Ruska, named Awesome...one day my team was jumped by the G3 in a Tier III mission...and he solo'd one of them.  Stood up on his hind legs and took him out.  He's a tank and I love him, But he doesn't have vacuum.  

I enjoy my Kubrows, my cats, and my Helminth...whom I bought the charger skin for and named Ellen Ripley (and I only use on infested mission to troll my PUG teammates).  But they just aren't as useful for the large majority of game content, and can actually be harmful to the mission...like missions with Kril as the boss.

That and it costs me 10k (which isn't much granted) to break them out of stasis, and it costs plat to maintain them.  If they were more accessible and cost effective, I'd probably run them far more often. 

But never with Ember Prime. 

Ever.  

I love my Kubrow. Even more now when Hunter mods. My Kubrow constantly heals me to full and attacks what I'm shooting at. 

In yesterday's interception sortie my Kubrow and mag held down a point as it was getting swarmed. He was constantly taking out heavy hitters and healing me to full. Not only was he helpful, it looked cool to have a dog kicking butt

I used to love my huras for cloaking me when reviving, but operators void mode has made that obsolete. 

I use all of my companions. Shade, deathcube and carrier are my least used.

Edited by Hypernaut1

Huras, This girl was always my goto pup for t2 and t3 spy missions. That dash attack knockihg down or destroying an entire row of enemies is just fun to watch.

Raksa, Good for high shield frames and name one other pet or sentinal who can save your &amp;#&#33; by making every enemy run for their lives when he growls

Sahasa, Ah my energy finder, ammo hunter, health recoverer. Also with the finisher bonus for taking down stunned enemies in a single shot.

Sunika, The combat hound. Grappling big guys leaving them vunerable for you can shoot, cut, stab, pound or blow them up without them fighting back. 

Chesa, Yea vacuume is better but it's so much neat to watch your pup run up to you with a whole lot of loot to give. Let's not forget that ignis user who is about to cook your &amp;#&#33; while you're occupied only to see it cut off with your pup running away with the grineer's weapon held in it's jaws. =3

Helmanith, Looks wise I'm not into infested but he does a nice job yanking enemies off their feet and if that's not enough it also can knock down or destroy a line of enemies in it's path.

Smeeta, Double drops, Red crits, 10s infinite energy, finding rare planet loot, Sending a decoy out to distract the enemy. Just lots of fun all over, especially when kuva mining. One time that little darling got me a 10k kuva drop. GOOD, GOOD, KITTY. I was crowing and a pug player said she deserved champagne. Heeee.

Adarza, The team crit and counter attack kitty. Definately set up for combat against heavy hitters. If you're frame gives it the stats needed.

I love and use them all. I run either Valkyr with max armor or Oberon with 138 Hps and almost 600 armor more. I had fun before the hunter mods came out... then they came out.

Kubrows now have 116% crit, Kavats 161% if I recall right. I tested them on level 110 bombards. Both were able to solo the heavy armored grineer. Kavat took about 6 hits, no slash proc. Kubrow 2 shots. The added range of swipe makes it easy for our Kavats but the Kubrows miss because of how short their range is. I used to do almost all the melee kills but now.. HAH! I have to race my pets to the enemies or bodyparts go flying when their ripped to pieces in front of me.

Soon Khora.. two pets. One a Metal Kavat the other one of my darlings. Bind them in place with slash. Hunter command and a 3 press and they will be torn utterly to shreds. It's going to be so much fun... if only their range was increased.

Btw I bet Swipe will work on Venari.. Bind, 3 skill, AoE mutilation. How about kubrow lockdown with Suniuka while Venari rips him to shrrrrreds. Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait.

It depends.

Getting the fact that I dont have a Kavat yet out of the way (120k alloy is killing me, keep using it for other things) its all situational.  

My Helminth I use often with Inaros for survivability, giving it an effective health pool of 15k. Plus it regulalrly crits for over 6k. Not bad. 

For stealth missions a Huras is awesome. Better than Shade in every way, nearly. More than double the distance to pop invisibility, but only lasts 2 minutes, which is still much longer than Loki can manage.

For every day missions though I run Wyrm Prime. His health pool is second only to carrier I believe, and his CC is both effective (outside the PoE) and very reliable. If I feel like taking an Amprex or Brrrraton P I take Carrier, but honestly I dont know why everyone wigs out about Carrier anymore. For most missions and guns Carrier isnt necessary. I want my sentinel to do more than feed me ammo. Vacuum can handle the majority of that, and I often dont even use vacuum. Keep me alive. Guardian, Sanctuary (acknowledging that kubrows have access to this shield) and Medi-Ray. This on top of not getting swarmed makes my day. If Im using the Opticor, Tigris Prime, Zarr or anything similar I have little use for Carrier or even Vacuum.

8 minutes ago, (PS4)MajorRags said:

I

For every day missions though I run Wyrm Prime. His health pool is second only to carrier I believe, and his CC is both effective (outside the PoE) and very reliable.

Have you noticed that wyrm CC has been broken lately? He flings enemies much further than he used to. It used to be just a ragdoll, now enemies get tossed.

21 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Have you noticed that wyrm CC has been broken lately? He flings enemies much further than he used to. It used to be just a ragdoll, now enemies get tossed.

Yeah, I wasnt sure if the extreme ragdoll was intentional. One of the reasons I mentioned its not a great tool on the Plains. He will send your target flying off a clifftop.

9 minutes ago, (PS4)MajorRags said:

Yeah, I wasnt sure if the extreme ragdoll was intentional. One of the reasons I mentioned its not a great tool on the Plains. He will send your target flying off a clifftop.

It's kind of funny, but can get in the way. I'm not sure if I want them to fix it or not

That’s weird about the Wrym Hyp I thought that was a glitch!  And yeah Smeeta kavat for me with “charm” makes it possible to get up to 20k kuva on a syphon run or crit damage and double resource makes it a great farming companion, also my kavat runs with 90% CC 4.8X DM w/500 slash makes taking down enemies that I fire on  help full, but each companion has its own unique ability making them useful for a variety of missions, but for me Kavat/Wrym Prime for endgame playing. 

On 1/17/2018 at 2:27 AM, (PS4)BattleCry1791 said:

This is an interesting thread, mostly because I don't see a lot of players talking about situational use of companions/sentinels.  

That and it costs me 10k (which isn't much granted) to break them out of stasis, and it costs plat to maintain them.  If they were more accessible and cost effective, I'd probably run them far more often. 

What? Boosters cost credits, not plat. And get the incubator segment from your clan to reduce costs.

41 minutes ago, Cryptix123 said:

What? Boosters cost credits, not plat. And get the incubator segment from your clan to reduce costs.

As an indicator as to how often I take my companions out....I have a stack of 18 DNA stabilizers left over from over a year ago, when they cost plat to purchase (and it cost plat to rush recovery)...I was completely unaware that they are now sold for credits.  Thanks for the enlightenment.

1 hour ago, (PS4)BattleCry1791 said:

As an indicator as to how often I take my companions out....I have a stack of 18 DNA stabilizers left over from over a year ago, when they cost plat to purchase (and it cost plat to rush recovery)...I was completely unaware that they are now sold for credits.  Thanks for the enlightenment.

Stabilizers never cost plat