Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Deluxe Skin - Thoughts?

Tellakey

After playing around with it...it's actually pretty cool and goes really well with his Graxx helmet. It's only too bad that the helmet of the proto skin also has energy pulse over his body that also translates into the helmet of the skin, when swapping helmets it really shows how slightly awkward it looks but other than that, i dig the skin.

EDIT: Now i can make my Flash/Reverse Flash/Zoom/Godspeed cosplay

Edited by Shad0wWatcher

4 minutes ago, Tellakey said:

They are, but for all intents and purposes Proto=Deluxe. We won't get both. 

Probably. The skin's internal name is VoltDeluxeSkin so they probably did a last minute re-label on the thing.

Yes, I know, was just saying that initially they apparently intended to market this under the Deluxe label.

BTW, I saw the set's syandana in game now, still think it's bad. It would have been so easy to make something based on actual lighting effects rather than this branch-like thing. Oh well.

2 minutes ago, Snib said:

Yes, I know, was just saying that initially they apparently intended to market this under the Deluxe label.

BTW, I saw the set's syandana in game now, still think it's bad. It would have been so easy to make something based on actual lighting effects rather than this branch-like thing. Oh well.

Bummer.

Oh well, at least some people enjoy it. Still waiting for videos to decide whether I want it.

I actually dont hate the volt skin (take into consideration that I've only been able to look at YT videos and haven't seen it hands on). From my first assessment of the skin, it's not bad. I actually kinda like it. The hammer skin and syandana I'm not a fan of, but overall I think is a step up.

16 minutes ago, Trunks40 said:

I actually dont hate the volt skin (take into consideration that I've only been able to look at YT videos and haven't seen it hands on). From my first assessment of the skin, it's not bad. I actually kinda like it. The hammer skin and syandana I'm not a fan of, but overall I think is a step up.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's absolutely stunning! Love the asymmetrically, the coursing energy, and especially the Frankenstein monster vibe. It stays true to Warframe's artistic vision and I adore it, but not as a playable component.

When taking to mind player's intention to actually use your skin, you wanna make sure that it appeals to as many players as possible. One very crucial element thereof is individual customizability and stylistic adaptability.

In terms of colors, from what I've witnessed and heard, experimentation yields poor results. I've tried previewing the skin with different color schemes and none worked out for me. Atlas used to have the same issue until the recent arrival of his Graxx variant.

It's all about texture. Volt Proto and Atlas have plastic-looking textures that fit poorly with anything other than the default. Graxx Atlas comes with different textures that actually fit really well with other color schemes, hence issue solved.

Secondly, vanilla Volt's proportions are completely incongruous with Proto Volt. Proto is thin, vanilla is bulkier, therefore any non-proto helmet creates a grotesque image on a proto skin. This is untrue vice versa, however.

Edited by Tellakey

38 minutes ago, Tellakey said:

In terms of colors, from what I've witnessed and heard, experimentation yields poor results. I've tried previewing the skin with different color schemes and none worked out for me. Atlas used to have the same issue until the recent arrival of his Graxx variant.

It's all about texture. Volt Proto and Atlas have plastic-looking textures that fit poorly with anything other than the default. Graxx Atlas comes with different textures that actually fit really well with other color schemes, hence issue solved.

I have to disagree with that. The default Volt/Volt Prime skins look much more like plastic than the proto. In fact that and the still missing cloth physics for the default skins are one of the reasons I was happy to switch to this one (unfortunately tennogen skins still are not allowed to modify the base model themselves).

If anything, the proto has a very metallic look with some rubber-ish applications (with lighter colors they look more like heavy cloth since reflections are less noticeable):

QHWG6FM.jpg

I didn't have issues with the skin and any of my existing color schemes for volt, haven't tried any new ones yet. But you can't argue taste so ymmv.

Edited by Snib

Volt has been my favourite frame since I started warframe, I usually try to be optimistic about things I even saws the potential in Nova and Ember skin and like them but this same very blame, not great not terrible just meh. With the exception of Excalbur and Nyx I've bought all the deluxe skins because they have been completely different from the original like. This has been the first time every I've been disappointed in warframe I don't get why they made it a proto rather than a deluxe.  I sort of like the Hanmer Mace thing although as my friend pointed out it looks like a lacrosse stick. I think the problem lays in the helmet. I'll probably keep the tennogen head with this body. I can't tell if I'm disappointed because volts my favourite characters and have been waiting for this for a few years or because I hyped it up in my head. I just can't see what they're going for is it like a wielder or something 

2 hours ago, Snib said:

I have to disagree with that. The default Volt/Volt Prime skins look much more like plastic than the proto. In fact that and the still missing cloth physics for the default skins are one of the reasons I was happy to switch to this one (unfortunately tennogen skins still are not allowed to modify the base model themselves).

If anything, the proto has a very metallic look with some rubber-ish applications (with lighter colors they look more like heavy cloth since reflections are less noticeable):

QHWG6FM.jpg

I didn't have issues with the skin and any of my existing color schemes for volt, haven't tried any new ones yet. But you can't argue taste so ymmv.

Welp, taste is taste :D others can corroborate my opinion but so can they yours.

On 12/1/2017 at 8:49 PM, Tellakey said:

Don't get me wrong, I think it's absolutely stunning! Love the asymmetrically, the coursing energy, and especially the Frankenstein monster vibe. It stays true to Warframe's artistic vision and I adore it, but not as a playable component.

When taking to mind player's intention to actually use your skin, you wanna make sure that it appeals to as many players as possible. One very crucial element thereof is individual customizability and stylistic adaptability.

Secondly, vanilla Volt's proportions are completely incongruous with Proto Volt. Proto is thin, vanilla is bulkier, therefore any non-proto helmet creates a grotesque image on a proto skin. This is untrue vice versa, however.

what do you think of this color scheme? I'm surprised people are having trouble coloring him. i have two that i cant decide on cause i feel like they're both too good.

xmC5qkv.jpg

43 minutes ago, goatwin said:

what do you think of this color scheme? I'm surprised people are having trouble coloring him. i have two that i cant decide on cause i feel like they're both too good.

xmC5qkv.jpg

Good job there :D

This is the only color scheme I ever saw on him that fits. Even here I think the yellow is a bit weird due to texture quality, but nice overall!

Do keep in mind, however, that black and white + third color is one of the easiest to put together and works on almost any frame, so even when you got you an honestly cool combo there, it's despite and not because of the adaptability of the skin.

I said before that the metallic parts look weird. You made them almost invisible with black, but I suspect that any other color would fall short. Using black is almost a way to hide how gaudy the metallic textures are.

You could prove me wrong, though ;) 

Edited by Tellakey

22 minutes ago, Tellakey said:

Good job there :D

This is the only color scheme I ever saw on him that fits. Even here I think the yellow is a bit weird due to texture quality, but nice overall!

Do keep in mind, however, that black and white + third color is one of the easiest to put together and works on almost any frame, so even when you got you an honestly cool combo there, it's despite and not because of the adaptability of the skin.

I said before that the metallic parts look weird. You made them almost invisible with black, but I suspect that any other color would fall short. Using black is almost a way to hide how gaudy the metallic textures are.

You could prove me wrong, though ;) 

Yeah your points are perfectly valid. Colors that i find fitting for the metallic parts are dark Merlot , mahogany (my favorite), Bermuda blue etc. Generally dark tones of any color works only cause I feel like the games' way of rendering most of the metallic shades makes them look too shinny with light, saturated tones.

The Majority of warframe skins are designed in a way that makes the parts between joints and spines to only work with dark colors for me. (Mainly caused by the textures having an outward facing, linear gradient) This proto skin however, have sharp transitions between all parts. A plus, but still not easy to experiment with. 

I have a setup where I only made the flashing lines stand out, and one using only two main colors. Can't post any other screenshots yet as I am away from my PC. :D

13 minutes ago, goatwin said:

Yeah your points are perfectly valid. Colors that i find fitting for the metallic parts are dark Merlot , mahogany (my favorite), Bermuda blue etc. Generally dark tones of any color works only cause I feel like the games' way of rendering most of the metallic shades makes them look too shinny with light, saturated tones.

The Majority of warframe skins are designed in a way that makes the parts between joints and spines to only work with dark colors for me. (Mainly caused by the textures having an outward facing, linear gradient) This proto skin however, have sharp transitions between all parts. A plus, but still not easy to experiment with. 

I have a setup where I only made the flashing lines stand out, and one using only two main colors. Can't post any other screenshots yet as I am away from my PC. :D

You just gave me an amazing idea!

Gonna open a thread in general discussion: Show us your Proto Volt! Let's see what people can come up with :D

16 hours ago, Tellakey said:

You just gave me an amazing idea!

Gonna open a thread in general discussion: Show us your Proto Volt! Let's see what people can come up with :D

Sounds good :D here's the rest of my setups

BN4MZFd.jpgf8FZUiJ.jpgyyk3dDp.jpg

Edited by goatwin

59 minutes ago, goatwin said:

Sounds good :D here's the rest of my setups

BN4MZFd.jpgf8FZUiJ.jpgyyk3dDp.jpg

The upper one is not much to my liking strongly due to the metallic red. As I said, it works poorly with colors other than black/white.

The lower one is rad as FK! Really loved it, using a similar color scheme on my Oberon. Notice that here, too, you've used black + sickly white + third color.