Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Who Should I Be Using For What?

(XBOX)DisloyalHyenna

Question

So I’m starting this thread because someone pointed out in my Volt explanation that comparing frames is something that shouldn’t be over looked. So of all the frames I currently own whom should I use for what? I have:

Ash, Banshee, Chroma, Frost P, Harrow, Gara, Hydroid P, Limbo, Loki, Mirage P, Nekros, Nova, Nyx, Oberon, Rhino, Saryn, Trinity, Volt P and Zephyr. Nezha and Wukong are in the works as well. So any advice?

i know Nekros is good at farming via desecrate, trinity is one the best support frames, rhino is a fantastic tank, nyx is great for late game cc but everyone else I’m pretty clueless on.

Edited by (XB1)DisloyalHyenna

21 answers to this question

Ash for Index farming, Banshee for focus in defensive missions, Chroma for boss killing, Harrow, Gara, Hydroid, Mirage, Oberon for fun, Zephyr...better wait for a rework, Volt just don't use it at all other than maybe for raids if you do those, Nezha is Nezha meh, maybe for (non scaling)Warding Halo, Wukong has some niche uses for its survivability i guess, Frost for armor stripping and slowing, Limbo for god mode. Nova for its great CC and damage, Trinity for life, Nyx for CC, Nekros for loot, Rhino for ez mod, Saryn for damage, Loki for master race, lol.

Frost/P is great for defence/mobile defence and any mission where you have to defend something. Loki is great for running stealth. Volt/P is great for speed runs and nezha is pretty fast too. Hydroid works similar to nekros if you have his pilfering swarm augment and can pair pretty well together. Don't have Chroma, but I hear he is a pretty good tank too. Oberon works like a paladin in an rpg game, proving healing, but not as powerful as trinity (in my opinion, others may like him more). Saryn and Nova can go cc pretty well, making enemies more squishy. Nova can also speedrun in the plains. I haven't tried the rest / don't have a good view on them to help much.

12 minutes ago, MaksymP said:

Frost/P is great for defence/mobile defence and any mission where you have to defend something. Loki is great for running stealth. Volt/P is great for speed runs and nezha is pretty fast too. Hydroid works similar to nekros if you have his pilfering swarm augment and can pair pretty well together. Don't have Chroma, but I hear he is a pretty good tank too. Oberon works like a paladin in an rpg game, proving healing, but not as powerful as trinity (in my opinion, others may like him more). Saryn and Nova can go cc pretty well, making enemies more squishy. Nova can also speedrun in the plains. I haven't tried the rest / don't have a good view on them to help much.

Thanks for your answer it helps a lot!

13 minutes ago, kgabor said:

Ash for Index farming, Banshee for focus in defensive missions, Chroma for boss killing, Harrow, Gara, Hydroid, Mirage, Oberon for fun, Zephyr...better wait for a rework, Volt just don't use it at all other than maybe for raids if you do those, Nezha is Nezha meh, maybe for (non scaling)Warding Halo, Wukong has some niche uses for its survivability i guess, Frost for armor stripping and slowing, Limbo for god mode. Nova for its great CC and damage, Trinity for life, Nyx for CC, Nekros for loot, Rhino for ez mod, Saryn for damage, Loki for master race, lol.

Thanks for your response! Helpful!

If you're looking into getting other frames, then you might want to get Mesa as a DPS frame. Titania excels at traversing the plains. Valkyr is a good berserker themed tank. Inaros and Nidus are both very powerful on their own and have great survivability. Octavia is currently flying under the nerf radar and is amazing a surviving and scaling into the higher level missions. Ivara is a good stealth frame that is comparable to loki. Ember and Equinox provide map-wide CC, although Ember doesn't far that well into the higher levels (Equinox scales nicely and is good for focus farming, if you. can stand the grind.) Mirage is up to you and can induce many different playstyles revolving around people's own favourite weapons (eg, ignis, and the synoid simulor back in the day)

1 minute ago, MaksymP said:

If you're looking into getting other frames, then you might want to get Mesa as a DPS frame. Titania excels at traversing the plains. Valkyr is a good berserker themed tank. Inaros and Nidus are both very powerful on their own and have great survivability. Octavia is currently flying under the nerf radar and is amazing a surviving and scaling into the higher level missions. Ivara is a good stealth frame that is comparable to loki. Ember and Equinox provide map-wide CC, although Ember doesn't far that well into the higher levels (Equinox scales nicely and is good for focus farming, if you. can stand the grind.) Mirage is up to you and can induce many different playstyles revolving around people's own favourite weapons (eg, ignis, and the synoid simulor back in the day)

Well looks like I’m gonna have to get more frames, gotta love the diversity of this game. Appreciate the answer!

Ok let's start ash.... moving on

banshee the cc/buff frame  

note I will focus on the most extraordinary abilities 

her second ability which is 1 of the strongest buff abilities in the game 

her 4th ability that can be cc/DOT (depends on how u build and enemy lvl) 

chroma 1 of the strongest tank/DPS warframe in the game 

I suggest to build chroma on ice or fire 

he's second ability gives chroma armor or health (again depends on the elemental)

he's 3rd ability converte damage that dealt to chroma into a damage buff and u will get damage reduction 

frost the old icy frost 

I can happily say frost can be cc/defender/Damage dealer warframe 

he's second can be a good cc/damage deals ability 

he's 3rd is still a powerful ability for defense and mobile defense 

he's 4th can be cc/damage dealt ability and can remove enemies armor 

harrow the warframe that have op crit buff 

what I can say about harrow all of his abilities are pretty I suggest to watch distant observer for harrow 

I haven't touched gara yet soo I won't talk about her 

hydroid the warframe for framing he's 3rd ability can be deal a huge amount of damage 

he's 4th ability can help u provide to fram for loot if u equipped the argument 

limbo the cc/defender frame he's second ability stops enemies in time their in the rift

he's 4th ability puts enemies in the rift combined with he's second u can stop them forever if u want 

Loki can be cc warframe if u put the argument for disarm 

and he can amazing for speed runs on spy/rescue/sabotage missions

mirage the DPS/cc warframe

her's first ability can deal a big amount of damage and if u equipped the augment deals even more dmg 

her's 3rd ability depends on mirage place if the spot have light she gains damage buff and if it was dark damage reduction 

her's 4th can cc/DPS ability (depends on enemy lvl for DPS)

and I will stop here sry if my English was bad I hope I provided u with some information 

5 minutes ago, (PS4)s3d_sas said:

Ok let's start ash.... moving on

banshee the cc/buff frame  

note I will focus on the most extraordinary abilities 

her second ability which is 1 of the strongest buff abilities in the game 

her 4th ability that can be cc/DOT (depends on how u build and enemy lvl) 

chroma 1 of the strongest tank/DPS warframe in the game 

I suggest to build chroma on ice or fire 

he's second ability gives chroma armor or health (again depends on the elemental)

he's 3rd ability converte damage that dealt to chroma into a damage buff and u will get damage reduction 

frost the old icy frost 

I can happily say frost can be cc/defender/Damage dealer warframe 

he's second can be a good cc/damage deals ability 

he's 3rd is still a powerful ability for defense and mobile defense 

he's 4th can be cc/damage dealt ability and can remove enemies armor 

harrow the warframe that have op crit buff 

what I can say about harrow all of his abilities are pretty I suggest to watch distant observer for harrow 

I haven't touched gara yet soo I won't talk about her 

hydroid the warframe for framing he's 3rd ability can be deal a huge amount of damage 

he's 4th ability can help u provide to fram for loot if u equipped the argument 

limbo the cc/defender frame he's second ability stops enemies in time their in the rift

he's 4th ability puts enemies in the rift combined with he's second u can stop them forever if u want 

Loki can be cc warframe if u put the argument for disarm 

and he can amazing for speed runs on spy/rescue/sabotage missions

mirage the DPS/cc warframe

her's first ability can deal a big amount of damage and if u equipped the augment deals even more dmg 

her's 3rd ability depends on mirage place if the spot have light she gains damage buff and if it was dark damage reduction 

her's 4th can cc/DPS ability (depends on enemy lvl for DPS)

and I will stop here sry if my English was bad I hope I provided u with some information 

Yes thank you this was very informative! 

vor 2 Stunden schrieb (Xbox One)DisloyalHyenna:

Ash, Banshee, Chroma, Frost P, Harrow, Gara, Hydroid P, Limbo, Loki, Mirage P, Nekros, Nova, Nyx, Oberon, Rhino, Saryn, Trinity, Volt P and Zephyr. Nezha and Wukong are in the works as well. So any advice?

Ash:damage, high level content. 

Ash on a seeking shuriken build can not only drain armor but also provide viable finisher damage trough his Bladestorm, which is per numbers among the stronger (but slower) aoe abilitys in the game. It needs some setup (marking enemys) and got it's animations (lowered by attack speed mods, prime fury and arcane strike and you're set. Add a riven for allmost instant strikes) but it pays. The shown damage is 1/4 of what it does and it's beein multiplied by combo, what gives it the potential to do up to ~330k finisher damage/enemy with nothing but a transient fortitude for the shuriken.

Banshee: viable aoe/support

Sonars/resonance damage buff is unrivaled support. Combined with resonating quakeund makes her the strongest actuall aoe frame. Still provides weapon support, on light cc should the aoe fall off.

Chroma is THE tank and buffs his damage according to the damage you get (or cause yourself) Great for sorties, kuva , eidolon hunts and the likes when you fancy weapon play.

Nova is for tactical slowing/fastening enemys.

Nyx divine Cc,

Oberon is a pretty good caster tank that combines self heal with light Cc (compared to nyx), support, aoe and dbuffs. Pretty nice for any content, performs best on a high stength build (use smite on eximus units)

Necros as you mentioned, can also be pretty tanky Cc on an adequate build if you wish to (equibrium+despoil+health conversion with eather focus on shield of shadows or creeping terrify. Both builds are awesome.)

Nezha is good mobile Cc and wukong i mentioned in your other thread...the other frames i won't comment to since DE isn't quite donet with them yet (gara, great Cc/damage frame despise his latest nerf,), i haven't found a good use for or i consider broken/unbalanced on the current state of the game. For detailed build recommendations and the likes, feel free to pm me.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

19 minutes ago, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

Ash:damage, high level content. 

Ash on a seeking shuriken build can not only drain armor but also provide viable finisher damage trough his Bladestorm, which is per numbers among the stronger (but slower) aoe abilitys in the game. It needs some setup (marking enemys) and got it's animations (lowered by attack speed mods, prime fury and arcane strike and you're set. Add a riven for allmost instant strikes) but it pays. The shown damage is 1/4 of what it does and it's beein multiplied by combo, what gives it the potential to do up to ~330k finisher damage/enemy with nothing but a transient fortitude for the shuriken.

Banshee: viable aoe/support

Sonars/resonance damage buff is unrivaled support. Combined with resonating quakeund makes her the strongest actuall aoe frame. Still provides weapon support, on light cc should the aoe fall off.

Chroma is THE tank and buffs his damage according to the damage you get (or cause yourself) Great for sorties, kuva , eidolon hunts and the likes when you fancy weapon play.

Nova is for tactical slowing/fastening enemys.

Nyx divine Cc,

Oberon is a pretty good caster tank that combines self heal with light Cc (compared to nyx), support, aoe and dbuffs. Pretty nice for any content, performs best on a high stength build (use smite on eximus units)

Necros as you mentioned, can also be pretty tanky Cc on an adequate build if you wish to (equibrium+despoil+health conversion with eather focus on shield of shadows or creeping terrify. Both builds are awesome.)

Nezha is good mobile Cc and wukong i mentioned in your other thread...the other frames i won't comment to since DE isn't quite donet with them yet (gara, great Cc/damage frame despise his latest nerf,), i haven't found a good use for or i consider broken/unbalanced on the current state of the game. For detailed build recommendations and the likes, feel free to pm me.

Ty for that thorough response!

Saryn on rad sortie, everyone will love you.

Memes (bad memes) aside:

1. Nova can cover most defensive oriented missions, but you should not bring slow nova on missions under level 40.
2. Ivara for anything Sabotage, Spy and Rescue.
3. Rhino for index.
4. Loki/Ivara for whenever you just don't want to deal with crap.
5. Saryn for your casual afternoon genocide.
6. Chroma for the power fantasy.

Of course there are frames that perform better in various situations, but a lot better question is "What loadout should I bring with various frames".

7 minutes ago, phoenix1992 said:

Saryn on rad sortie, everyone will love you.

Memes (bad memes) aside:

1. Nova can cover most defensive oriented missions, but you should not bring slow nova on missions under level 40.
2. Ivara for anything Sabotage, Spy and Rescue.
3. Rhino for index.
4. Loki/Ivara for whenever you just don't want to deal with crap.
5. Saryn for your casual afternoon genocide.
6. Chroma for the power fantasy.

Of course there are frames that perform better in various situations, but a lot better question is "What loadout should I bring with various frames".

Asking about loadouts is a better question, you are correct but at the moment I’m more focused on gaining knowledge on frames so I can put out more guides like my Volt one for newer players. Hopefully this will help everyone in the long run if people actually know what all their different abilities do, which I’ve run into a lot of people below MR10, who simply don’t and just spam whatever power is available. 

Out of nekros, rhino, nyx and trinity;

loki is good at everything but not always the most efficient. Easy choice for spy/sabotage/rescue/capture  especialy for solo. Invsiblity is both good for defense and offense.

Nova is good at dropping huge damage in small areas. Pack killer/nuker.

Frost is best stationary defense frame. Best at defending specific points like defense pods or excavators. His value rises in team play 

Gara is a variant to frost. Mostly good for stationary fights.

Limbo again is another great defensive frame but not every pug will like him because of his unique rift mechanic.

Others have a bit personal choice imho. Both chroma, volt, horrow and saryn are great frames but not everyone likes the playstyle of them and they don't have very specific uses. Most of the time people use volt to run fast in speed runs. I rarely see him as a main frame for his entire skill set. Horrow is a weird support and people prefer trinity mostly because her abilities are straight forward.

Oberon is meh. Hydroid is also meh. They are both kinda usefull as a stationary defense for team but not as good as other defensive frames.

Nezha is fun. He is actually Rhino Light. Good for avoiding "noob rhino" "l2p" "git gut" spams :P

Zephyr is in a weird spot. After the parkour 2.0 I couldn't find a good use for her. I use her to unlock "x headshots while gliding" rivens :) Also some MR tests are easier with her. But I think she is even less useful after the release of titania.

Mirage is one-man army. Good for overpowering enemy. Makes some unpopular weapons hilarious.

Ash spams 4 and everyone hates him :P

Banshee on the other hand good for both low and high level stuff. At low levels her 4 can kill enemies at range. At high levels she keeps enemies away or marks their body parts for extreme damage multipliers. Her passive makes all her equiped weapons silent. 

29 minutes ago, rushari said:

Out of nekros, rhino, nyx and trinity;

loki is good at everything but not always the most efficient. Easy choice for spy/sabotage/rescue/capture  especialy for solo. Invsiblity is both good for defense and offense.

Nova is good at dropping huge damage in small areas. Pack killer/nuker.

Frost is best stationary defense frame. Best at defending specific points like defense pods or excavators. His value rises in team play 

Gara is a variant to frost. Mostly good for stationary fights.

Limbo again is another great defensive frame but not every pug will like him because of his unique rift mechanic.

Others have a bit personal choice imho. Both chroma, volt, horrow and saryn are great frames but not everyone likes the playstyle of them and they don't have very specific uses. Most of the time people use volt to run fast in speed runs. I rarely see him as a main frame for his entire skill set. Horrow is a weird support and people prefer trinity mostly because her abilities are straight forward.

Oberon is meh. Hydroid is also meh. They are both kinda usefull as a stationary defense for team but not as good as other defensive frames.

Nezha is fun. He is actually Rhino Light. Good for avoiding "noob rhino" "l2p" "git gut" spams :P

Zephyr is in a weird spot. After the parkour 2.0 I couldn't find a good use for her. I use her to unlock "x headshots while gliding" rivens :) Also some MR tests are easier with her. But I think she is even less useful after the release of titania.

Mirage is one-man army. Good for overpowering enemy. Makes some unpopular weapons hilarious.

Ash spams 4 and everyone hates him :P

Banshee on the other hand good for both low and high level stuff. At low levels her 4 can kill enemies at range. At high levels she keeps enemies away or marks their body parts for extreme damage multipliers. Her passive makes all her equiped weapons silent. 

I run Volt survival mostly because I don’t use him for his speed but rather all four abilities in sequence. Get in room with one entrance and just mow enemies down

51 minutes ago, (Xbox One)DisloyalHyenna said:

I run Volt survival mostly because I don’t use him for his speed but rather all four abilities in sequence. Get in room with one entrance and just mow enemies down

Try Frost with max range and 2nd ability augment, he is much better. I run with him once with Lanka holding Assur for 30 min likes nothing (with random teammates).

Can't tell you what you are supposed to do. Do as you like, pick whatever you find fun and useful for certain mission type, conditions, squad requirements. Can only tell you what I like to pick (from the frames you have mentioned) in particular circumstances.

Banshee - contrary to popular belief she has more than one ability. Press 4 and go afk seriously hurts her reputation. Meanwhile Resonance enhanced Sonar is the best shared damage multiplier in the game, hitting up almost 15x with full strength. |Usually not worth sacrificing other stats for that much, 9-12x with decent range and duration is easier to build and maintain during mission. With that kind of buff as long as you can hit the weakspots, you can take Hind or MK-1 Braton in Sortie Kuva Fortress enhanced armor survival. 

Chroma - whenever I want to precisely oneshot very tough targets, bosses (Teralyst, Razorback, Mutalist Alad or any weakspot type of bad guy).

Frost P - protecting stationary targets in defense, exavation

Gara - used to be amazing in Kuva missions, now ... decent at what Frost does better, except for her awesome 90% damage reduction

Hydroid P - farming, whenever there is Nekros already in the squad

Limbo - soloing mobile defenses, cheesing some riven challenges

Loki - all around stealth stuff, whenever I don't feel like slowly creeping with queen Ivara, mining in Plains, disarming hordes.

Nekros - farming resources, survival camping, helps a lot in quick fissures (capture, sabotage). I like him for melee play as well, because he's very tanky with Health Conversion and optionally Shield of Shadows.

Nova - 1. Defending something without killing much (slow build: mobile defense, interception, kuva farming). 2. Killing tough and extremely dangerous enemies (slow build: augmented exterminate). 3. Speeding up defenses, survivals (negative strength build).

Oberon - whenever most basic roles are covered, he's great allrounder: almost immortal (Quick Thinking + Rage/HunterAdrenaline), with good healing and armor buff, half-decent CC, and some dps support. Also when I miss old times and playing as restoration druid (Feyarch skin), because contrary to popular yet ignorant belief he doesn't fit a paladin archetype at all (poncey selfrighteous knight in a shiny armor), but a druid (the one with nature and protector of the balance between good and evil) and his abilities reflect that very well: combining healing, cc and damage.

Rhino - he might be tanky for low level content, but at high level Iron Skin gets oneshotted, so don't rely on that too much. I mostly like him for good damage buff and immobilizing annoying targets with long duration Stomp (Lephantis, Hyena Pack, Sortie Phorid).

Saryn - leveling friend's weapons by wiping the entire map of low-mid level enemies.

Trinity - 1. Hybrid EV/Bless (basically duration Bless build with slightly enhanced strength and decent 106% range) - useful pretty much anywhere: counters energy drains, great at defection missions (who needs med boosters?), Teralyst hunts (Lures), protecting operative and your squad (even though they often don't realize how many times they'd be dead if not for you), when someone else picks energy hungry dps or for facetanking boss so the others could shoot in his back (hi, Sargas Ruk). 2. EV - mindless exp farms, hijack missions (Vampire Leech).

Wukong - smashing kavats with Heliocor for genetic codes.

Edited by saradonin