The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Opinions on new GPU Particle Physics from DE

ALEKS_D_RAVEN

So Steve Sinclair showed on his twitter demo of upcoming custom GPU particle physics `cos Nvidia is droping their support for those via PhysX engine.

Whats your take on this. You want more those sweet particles in our beloved game?. Are they really that importan for Warframe visuals?.

Do we need this implementiation for FashionFrame and Captura?(YES WE DO:)

Whats your idea of using that upcoming tech in broarder context than soon-to-be older PhysX solution?.

1) For the game wise, it is important for it to have all the gimmicks to look good on paper.

2) This is also a boasting  showcase of what DE can do themselves if without support from Nvidia PhysX. Again this will look good on paper.

This thread is good survey so DE knows what they do are used by players or just simply to look good on paper.

Edited by kyori

Oooo I can smell my GPU already.
Unfortunately I disabled it, not because my GPU can't handle it (Warframe's PhysX is kinda lightweight on my GPU for some reason).
I disabled it because we have waaaay too many eye candy already, I mean like... Glare, Bloom, Motion Blur, DoF, etc.
You'll get epilepsy from all those fancy effects, especially when you're hunting Eidolon, and I disabled all of em while hunting.

Edited by NeoHEX31

I love how DE are making their own physics without support of Nvidia.

Also love shiny particles :3

4 minutes ago, lightdragon64 said:

I personally want to see more because i have such a god-tier pc that i want to show off every cool thing a game can do. so IMO the more the better.

^^^

21 minutes ago, NeoHEX31 said:

Unfortunately I disabled it, not because my GPU can't handle it (Warframe's PhysX is kinda lightweight on my GPU for some reason).
I disabled it because we have waaaay too many eye candy already, I mean like... Glare, Bloom, Motion Blur, DoF, etc.
You'll get epilepsy from all those fancy effects, especially when you're hunting Eidolon, and I disabled all of em while hunting.

Well this tech also shouldn`t be demanding for GPUs. Steve told that it works if PC isn`t a Potato. But i think it mostly refers to what tech on your GPU is enabled.

Those custom particles are probably running via Compute Shaders  so it would mean you need dx11 capable Graphic Card (or even dx10),

Their Flow Particles aren`t so demanding as NVidia turbulence effects so i don`t think that new tech will melt our GPUs.

24 minutes ago, lightdragon64 said:

I personally want to see more because i have such a god-tier pc that i want to show off every cool thing a game can do. so IMO the more the better.

Unitl DE won`t move to dx11 only I don`t think we will get such demanding particles.

Still that tech needs more polishing and tweaking. On this film particle collision on Saryn is diffrent depending on point of camera view. At the begining we see saryn is showered by those particles but when point of view changes we see her head is further than the point of particle spawn.

If it doesn't look worse in any aspect than Physx, I'm happy with it. If it's better and will be improved over time I'll be very happy.

51 minutes ago, AlendasNaro said:

I think they should consider just removing them completely. They hurt game play. I know it looks cool but... Good god does it hurt my eyes.

51 minutes ago, NeoHEX31 said:

There is and will be an option to turning it off, so the argument that "They hurt game play" is invalid.

What you have to understand is that people have different brains and eyes, therefore have a different capacity to process what they see. There are people who cannot distinguish between 30 fps and 60 fps. Also different people process images differently, so while one person has trouble doing so with all these "eye candy", others have no problem and actually enjoy the plus it gives. I'm actually kinda sad that we lost a lot of effects because there is a minority who cannot handle them and DE didn't make an option for them because it wouldn't have been cost effective to maintain.

tl;dr

Just because your brain/eyes can't handle the "eye candy" that doesn't mean others brain/eyes can't.

51 minutes ago, kyori said:

1) For the game wise, it is important for it to have all the gimmicks to look good on paper.

2) This is also a boasting  showcase of what DE can do themselves if without support from Nvidia PhysX. Again this will look good on paper.

This thread is good survey so DE knows what they do are used by players or just simply to look good on paper.

I'm pretty sure DE has data on Physx usage so there is no need for survey. Also they don't do it to look good on paper and boast, but because they know that there are a lot of players who actually enjoy these effects.

Edited by Gabe
Fixing typos

4 minutes ago, DxAdder said:

DE has time for this right  now ?

I think its not soo hard to make it, internet is full of ideas and papers about it. Still remember they needed to make new lightning system `cos Autodesk discontinued the middleware they were using. Thats almost the same situation. And still Particles, Physics based or not, always where, a part of warframe visuals.

6 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I'm pretty sure DE has data on Physx usage so there is no need for survey. Also they don't do it to look good on paper and boast, but because they know that there are a lot of player who actually enjoy these effects.

Yeah but you know that those data were kinda incomplete `cos.. you know.. that tech was nVidia only.

I think that sooner or later DE would create their own particle physics system `cos PhysX particles are to demanding and loocked to only one GPU vendor.

Still i think this new tech won`t be such accurate in collision detection as old one. But who knows.

52 minutes ago, lightdragon64 said:

If that's true then you definitely don't want to use Warframe since it can be maxed out with any half-decent PC from 2015. If you REALLY want to impress folks I recommend using a game that actually requires high-end hardware from 2017 or later and is definitely not accessible to potato PC's in the same way Warframe is.

3 minutes ago, Legion-Shields said:

The way the particles bounce off the ball underneath the cube looks weird.

I think thats just alfa stage of tech. Its using data from depth buffer which saing very simple is kinda set of data representing only visible "geometry". Its still needs some tweaking. Probably steve will say word or two about this tech on Devstream. But still they will need to adapt that tech to all Frames and their powers. And that needs time.

2 minutes ago, Legion-Shields said:

If that's true then you definitely don't want to use Warframe since it can be maxed out with any half-decent PC from 2015. If you REALLY want to impress folks I recommend using a game that actually requires high-end hardware from 2017 or later and is definitely not accessible to potato PC's in the same way Warframe is.

If any 2017 game had those requirements justified:). Ok maybe one or two.

4 hours ago, AlendasNaro said:

I think they should consider just removing them completely. They hurt game play. I know it looks cool but... Good god does it hurt my eyes.

What about people who absolutely love them? 

I think they should be available as an option. That means people like me who want the particle count upped by 100x can enjoy them, and then people like you can turn them off

2 minutes ago, Arniox said:

What about people who absolutely love them? 

I think they should be available as an option. That means people like me who want the particle count upped by 100x can enjoy them, and then people like you can turn them off

Sure. Yeah you can disable them but quite honestly... It would been nice if they had option to have it disabled from main game play but not on captura mode.

I was really disappointed back when DE removed most of the PhysX particle effect and replaced them with the "flow" particles. I have always loved how PhysX particles interacted with other physical objects, and the flow particles don't do that, which is boring.

These new particles look quite nice so far, even in their unfinished state, so I would bet they will be even nicer than even the PhysX ones were once fully implemented.

Now, if only I could figure out why bloom doesn't seem to work right for me, then Warframe would be THE PRETTIEST GAME IN THE UNIVERSE!!!!!