Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why do Sub Weapon Rivens like Dragon Nikana Exist?

ElocFreidon

Its really sad picking up a "Nikana" Riven that you can't even use on all weapons of that name that work the exact same way. Prime is a literal upgrade to Dragon so why do these sub weapon Rivens exist at all? Its very limiting for a system that is already heavy RNG. Its understandable if the sub weapon works very differently (Mutalist Cernos or Mutalist Quanta) but in cases like this, it doesn't.

Edited by ElocFreidon

The Nikana weapons are a class of weapon. It just happens to share a name with one of the weapons itself. Dragon Nikana is a different weapon entirely to the regular Nikana because "Dragon" is not simply a prefix. 

Different weapons in the same class, as it were. The names are just too similar.

It's more like why did the class of nikana get created, when they have no different mechanics from each other. And also more like why was nikana prime released when there was already a straight upgrade of the nikana? Unless they create a unique nikana, that weapon class is stuck

I'm up for a rename to the Nikanas overall. 

It's weird, the Dragon Nikana has a unique variant indicator like the Mara Detron BUT is also a different weapon to its standard version unlike the Mara Detron.  That's fine, that's how Mutalist weapons are after all.  But 'Dragon' weapons only has one weapon in its class, and has no noteworthy variations like the Mutalist variants.  You can understand why Mutalist Cernos is different from Cernos, Rakta and Prime, because it behaves totally differently and has a uniquely infested aesthetic.

Why is the weapon class and every weapon within the class named Nikana?  I get that there's Machete(and Wraith) in the Machete class, but it's also not the only weapon of its kind and doesn't have a Hunter Machete that is inexplicably a different weapon.

Alternatively, if they could rework 'Dragon' Nikana into a variant type like the Mutalist, that would be much cooler!  Some sort of Tenno-aftermarket modifications on w/e weapons with Dragon/Serpent-themed visuals, maybe always give the weapon a new elemental effect to fit the name? :3

i wouldnt mind if the weapons were actually properly different like gazal machete compared to other machetes or whatever. also cant you use cernos riven on considerably different variations like mutalist, rakta and prime?

dragon nikana was overlooked. that is the only logical conclusion, idk why would anyone assume its not

11 minutes ago, fartloud said:

i wouldnt mind if the weapons were actually properly different like gazal machete compared to other machetes or whatever. also cant you use cernos riven on considerably different variations like mutalist, rakta and prime?

dragon nikana was overlooked. that is the only logical conclusion, idk why would anyone assume its not

Yes Cernos, Rakta, and Prime. Mutalist is Separate and would require a different riven.

Skana Prime had to intentionally be fixed to use a Skana riven.

In conclusion Dragon Nikana may serve a alternate purpose in the future, Prisma Dragon Nikana, Dragon Nikana Prime, ect it's codex depiction is those that Only a Master may weild it.

And while melee hasn't been properly mastery ranked yet, Dragon Nikana requires MR 8 While Prime is 0. I do hope Dragon Nikana Prime eventually is going to be a thing maybe the first Mastery Rank 20-25 weapon.

Edited by (XB1)Evilpricetag

Yeah, it's just strange, but the "Nikana" is a melee weapon "Type" and the name. So as weird as it sounds, the Dragon Nikana compared to the Nikana/Nikana Prime is actually like the Galatine/Galatine Prime compared to the Zenistar, which are both "Heavy Blades". The problem is DE just didn't make the name unique enough. It's still strange to me when people want to buy Nikana Rivens. I straight up traded my Nikana Riven for a Dragon Nikana Riven. 

I think in the future DE should create unique names for Nikana type weapons. The name shouldn't be the weapon type. Imagine a gun called "Rifle" or "Rifle Prime". Nikana sounds much cooler, but it's still the same idea. The weapon type is the weapon's name.

19 hours ago, ElocFreidon said:

Its really sad picking up a "Nikana" Riven that you can't even use on all weapons of that name that work the exact same way. Prime is a literal upgrade to Dragon so why do these sub weapon Rivens exist at all? Its very limiting for a system that is already heavy RNG. Its understandable if the sub weapon works very differently (Mutalist Cernos or Mutalist Quanta) but in cases like this, it doesn't.

Because the Dragon Nikana needs a stat buff to reflect it’s lore description and craftsmanship (Crit buff vs status for most Orokin weapons)...and it’s just plain cooler and cooler looking.

It’s a stat upgrade but is forged by Tenno, not Orokin.

The stronger Riven balanced it out for now.  I’m sorry your expectations of compatability were wrong.

I’m the opposite.  For 2 years, before rivens, I was bent that the cooler DNIK got the stat-shaft.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

• 3 weeks later...