The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My thoughts on Peculiar Mods

Raspberry

7 minutes ago, Firetempest said:

Second sentence in and you're already wrong.

Fine. Some people want to gimp their builds for cosmetic silliness. The rest of us would rather not have to. Honestly I don't see why anyone would argue FOR losing a mod slot to a cosmetic. If they change it though, feel free to leave one empty. In fact, if you want a stupid challenge, just leave all your slots empty anytime you want. Wearing a Syandana? Empty a slot. Got an alt helmet? Drop a mod. You'd be freakin PISSED if you HAD to use mods for existing cosmetics. 

Edited by jsnforce
You edited to add more, so I have to edit to address it.

On 14/4/2018 at 2:11 PM, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

people seem to be missing the point of these mods. they aren't aimed at min-maxers, they aren't aimed at vets, they aren't aimed at the endurance crowd. they ARE aimed at anyone that doesn't take Warframe too seriously: people who want to have a laugh: the kind of people who love the Sonicor for it's Ragdolls, or Titania's Lantern for the way it makes enemies float. if you're someone who has to have ALL the damage and crit, you're not the kind of person who's gonna use these mods anyway. that's fine, because they aren't really aimed at you to begin with.

being, mods, they're also optional, so you're certainly not forced to sue them. if you get them from Sanctuary Onslaught but you don't want them, you could always trade them for plat, dissolve for Endo/Credits, or give them to friends. I know a couple people who'll actively grind for these mods just for the lulz, and that's all it's really about.

Problem is, they have been put in a endless mode that is specifically geared to vets or so they say. Vets who want to longrun said mode are most probably going to take their best equipment and teamcomp on that. 

Like good ol days of T4 Survival farming.

Mod like these are just thrash that pollute loot tables for anyone who wants to minmax. (If this whole thing isnt sortie 2.0)

Put those mods into a casual mode for casuals to enjoy and let the tryhards tryhard with the chance of getting something other than "Congrats! After 2 hours of this you can now place flowers on enemies with this 18D mod!"

vor 48 Minuten schrieb jsnforce:

Fine. Some people want to gimp their builds for cosmetic silliness. 

This is the very idea of the peculiar mods... sheesh...

The system is to show off, that you are so good, you don't  need to make use of all the mod-slot.

If you could just slap in peculiar effects onto anyhigh end build, then you are not showing of, that you are good, you are just another metagame-mouthbreather who looked up the most effective build for something online.

If you want to use peculiar mods, then get good, you scrubs!

Many people here seem to be missing the point. As I see it these are not mods meant for the very few "veterans" who have everything already but are aimed at the players who have very high powered kit but still have to visit low level planets for the "grind" or part farming.

I've been playing the game for a few years now and am looking forward to getting these mods in my setup for those lvl 5-10 nitain missions etc. The point that DE is trying to get across is that you dont need your maxed power stuff in every mission. It just ruins the game for the new guys.

Most on here arguing against it seems to only fall back on the slippery slope fallacy. "Oh oh but you would be angry if 'this' was to happen next, or 'this' was always one way but what it if wasn't" But its not. Its just not.

Its a weapon effect that is caused by the weapon when doing something. What else does that to weapons? Mods.

What is the only thing in game thats similar to cosmetic ammo. Eros Arrow Skin. Its a consumable. If the majority wont end up liking the mods for their intended purpose (fur' fun and that it wasn't for the majority anyway). then lets ask DE to make future limited consumable rewards. There is your cake and you can eat it too. Just only a few slices at a time.

"But but whhhaaaa it takes up a gear slot" it never ends.

Edited by Firetempest

3 hours ago, jsnforce said:

You'd be freakin PISSED if you HAD to use mods for existing cosmetics. 

I wouldn't be "freakin PISSED".

It's just a video game. If anything that happens in it makes you "freakin PISSSED" you are taking it waaaay to seriously. The only reason it is on your computer is for you to have fun and enjoy playing it. If it makes you mad, you should stop playing it, because it no longer serves its purpose.

3 hours ago, Firetempest said:

Most on here arguing against it seems to only fall back on the slippery slope fallacy. "Oh oh but you would be angry if 'this' was to happen next, or 'this' was always one way but what it if wasn't" But its not. Its just not.

Its a weapon effect that is caused by the weapon when doing something. What else does that to weapons? Mods.

What is the only thing in game thats similar to cosmetic ammo. Eros Arrow Skin. Its a consumable. If the majority wont end up liking the mods for their intended purpose (fur' fun and that it wasn't for the majority anyway). then lets ask DE to make future limited consumable rewards. There is your cake and you can eat it too. Just only a few slices at a time.

People have fun in this game in many many different ways.

Some people like fashion framing from the get go, after learning that they can pretty much make any part of this game their own, they set out to have the coolest looking frames and cosmetics.

Some people like trading, they set a goal for themselves to earn a specific amount of platinum, or buy rare and expensive items like Primed Chamber.

Some people like farming, the grind, the hard work. They pride themselves in opening relics day and night, and having more sets of something than they know what to do with.

Some love record runs, they love speeding through levels and bosses, or lasting an INCREDIBLE amount of time in an endless mission.

Some love min/maxing this game, trying hard to get the best of the best stuff, playing in a way that would rival even professionals.

This game as many edges, many viewpoints and this community proves it time and time again. So when you say S#&$ like;

3 hours ago, Firetempest said:

you're sounding like 1 person's personal fun is superior to another's, that we should consider only the fashion-framers and your opinion over people who enjoy throwing endless forma and making those builds.

None of it is even true, your opinion of these people, because what they complained about, what I complain about, is sound, and fair. We don't want to have to choose between a min/maxed build and a cosmetic. Some of us want to use it, some of us don't, but the point is that you shouldn't discredit our opinions as baseless crying before actually trying to understand our point of view. DE is telling us we can be min/maxing vets or we can be fashion vets, we can't be both.

Why must we accept this? Why do we have to agree that we can't be both, when up until this idea, we have been. I love min/maxing builds, I love fashion, but now you and everyone else is telling me that this is the next end-game content, and that I must choose 1 or the other?

Sounds silly doesn't it?

2 minutes ago, --Q--Phanini said:

Why must we accept this?

The people here cant except the possibility of these mods because it somehow alienated them. They cant wait for DE to expand on any idea because it currently doesn't fit a tilted view of how the game should and can only be. So instead of peculiar existing only as a mod for a indeterminate amount of time, it shouldn't exist at all unless I can do X, Y and Z with it.

2 minutes ago, Firetempest said:

The people here cant except the possibility of these mods because it somehow alienated them. They cant wait for DE to expand on any idea because it currently doesn't fit a tilted view of how the game should and can only be. So instead of peculiar existing only as a mod for a indeterminate amount of time, it shouldn't exist at all unless I can do X, Y and Z with it.

Sure, some people might not give this a chance, but that doesn't mean showboating and assuming that some of us don't have actual and proper concerns like OP does, we've voiced them nicely here and the few who choose to defend this peculiar mod idea does it in a way that seems, white-knighty.

I've been playing this game a long time, I am in no way saying that this is my reasoning, but these cosmetic ideas might not last very long. They will interest me, and a few other people, but when metas shift and a new content comes out, these mods will get left behind, just like lunaro, just like defection, not many will get the chance to enjoy this for the long run, and I'm sure that's what DE wants-- a way for us to enjoy these mods for the long run.

9 minutes ago, --Q--Phanini said:

Sure, some people might not give this a chance, but that doesn't mean showboating and assuming that some of us don't have actual and proper concerns like OP does, we've voiced them nicely here and the few who choose to defend this peculiar mod idea does it in a way that seems, white-knighty.

I've been playing this game a long time, I am in no way saying that this is my reasoning, but these cosmetic ideas might not last very long. They will interest me, and a few other people, but when metas shift and a new content comes out, these mods will get left behind, just like lunaro, just like defection, not many will get the chance to enjoy this for the long run, and I'm sure that's what DE wants-- a way for us to enjoy these mods for the long run.

I had already set a precedent to whom I had the problem with, The fallacy makers who argue "what if helms, pants boots etc where mods next Eh?!" The ones who attack the idea because they are simply greedy. I don't have to say "oh by the way I have problems with DE too so I'm not white knight" because I like something when you happen to have a problem with it.

Edited by Firetempest

2 minutes ago, Firetempest said:

I had already set a precedent to whom I had the problem with, The fallacy makers who argue "what if helms, pants boots etc where mods next Eh?!" 

This isn't a fallacy, its an example, and a good one at that. Slotting in cosmetics for utility is precisely what DE is currently suggesting when it comes to these mods.

4 minutes ago, Firetempest said:

The ones who attack the idea because they are simply greedy. I don't have to say "oh by the way I have problems with DE too so I'm not white knight" because I like something when you happen to have a problem with it.

Consistency isn't greed my friend. If DE has been letting us be fashionframers and min/maxers without 1 costing the other, why start now? 

You seem to have a problem with people having problems with this, rather than suggesting that this idea might not be fully fleshed out, and hoping that everyone gets to enjoy it as a community you repeatedly choose to attack people who seem to want something differently done with this.

All in all none of this matters. DE will ship it, without much question to the community, and 50% of us will be happy with that, 50% of won't

On 13/04/2018 at 8:37 PM, BrazilianJoe said:

"Peculiar mods being absurd or downright awful" may be fun, but I think there should be always some upside for it. 

One idea I have is that peculiar mods could give indirect bonuses only, instead of gameplay bonuses. 

Peculiar mods should be related in part or whooly to a ... Peculiar Cephalon, not Cuda, not Simaris, not Ordis. 

There could be jokes about it being a cousin or sibling of Ordis.

Indirect bonuses of Peculiar mods could be increased XP gain, and peculiar mods granting mod points instead of costing mod points. 

Also, all Peculiar mods could be exilus, since it's the "low value" mod slot.

Peculiar mod ideas: 

Low-hanging fruit: randomizes the colors of the weapon/frame on each shot or kill.

Morphs the corpse into a valueless prop, - opened crest, broken container, rock, tree.

ALLOW PERMANENT EQUIPPING OF LEPUS HEADGEASR AND MUSTACHEFRAME BY EQUIPPING A PECULIAR MOD.

Customize frame and weapon with permanent trail FX. Of the ludicrous type: 

• Greedy Milk sword oozing milk on the ground permanently.
  • Grineer-shaped pixies which follow the player squealing "Tenno Scum!"
  • Hearth-shaped trail FX with love song.
  • Rainbow trail with my little pony-style song.
  • Prophet of profit indoctrination trail with soothing messages of the void prophet.

Ultimade Peculiar mod ideas: 

Super Sentai / Magical Girl / Mecha Morphin Ultimate Power:

Remember Sailor Moon?

JUST IMAGINE YOUR OPERATOR FLOATING AND ROTATING IN THE AIR, WHILE DRAPES OF LIGHT WRAP AROUND HER, TRANSFORMING THE OPERATOR INTO A GLORIOUS MIRAGE. AT THE END, MIRAGE STRIKES A POSE. 

Let that idea sink in for a moment.

Switching to and from Operator / Warframe mode takes a loooong time, and makes a super transformation animation. 

The transformation will have a long animation where the character will go through  a magical girl or magical boy or super sentai or mecha morphin animation.

THe skybox fades into a magical background, colorful  effects and sprites take over, and magical energy cloth-like drapes fold around the character to transform it from one shape to another. At the very end, the character strikes a pose as is typical in such shows.

Visual FX galore all around.

To make the playe not die, two things could be done: 

1) invulnerability during transformation.

2) A temporal field would form around the player. the closest an enemy or bullet is to the  transforming player, the slowest it goes. hitscan coming in from outside would transform into traveling bullets if the get into the effect sphere of the transformation. Slowdowns would affect friend and foe, except if friend starts a transformation as well. In other words, transformations are the only thing not slowed down.

3) Warframe/operator energy will be drained per each enemy slowed down.

There should be more than one Peculiar mod of this style, with custom background music and transformation animation.
Those mods should all have 10 levels, with each mod level unlocking approximately one second of animation or more. 

I propose as a release order for peculiar ultimate transformations: 

1) Magical Girl - Sailor Moon Style
2) Super Sentai - Power Rangers Style
3) Mecha Morphin - As if several robot parts join together for a ultimate giant robot
4) Dragon Form - One character breaks out from within the other, as if it was transforming into a dragon
5) Pokeframe, I choose you! - One form throws a ball, square, whatever and announces the abilities of the other, ending with a cutscene silhouette and announcement. Which one is this warframe? It's Zephyr!

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I'm a relative newbie and probably won't even be doing the missions to get these, but I do know I don't like the idea of sacrificing capability for what amounts to decoration.

If they're going to serve no practical purpose, rather than Peculiar Mods, these should be Peculiar Accessories that don't require frame slots. Why not make them new skins, syandanas, orbiter decorations or simply amusing visual effects, as described in the above post?

Edited by FlusteredFerret

1 hour ago, --Q--Phanini said:

This isn't a fallacy, its an example, and a good one at that. Slotting in cosmetics for utility is precisely what DE is currently suggesting when it comes to these mods.

It's not a good one at all. A helmet is a helmet so it goes in the helmet slot. A syandana is a syandana so it goes in the syandana slot. A mod is a mod so it goes in a mod slot.

Peculiar mods are mods. It is implied by their name. So they go in the mod slot. Saying "But what if a helmet took up a mod slot?" is like saying "But what if a melee weapon took up a Primary Weapon slot?" or "What if a sentinel took up a syndana slot?" It's a pointless comparison because that's not how the game mechanics work.

1 hour ago, --Q--Phanini said:

You seem to have a problem with people having problems with this, rather than suggesting that this idea might not be fully fleshed out, and hoping that everyone gets to enjoy it as a community you repeatedly choose to attack people who seem to want something differently done with this.

Because calling people who don't share your opinions "white-knighty" is not an attack on "people who seem to want something differently" than what you want?

3 minutes ago, rune_me said:

It's not a good one at all. A helmet is a helmet so it goes in the helmet slot. A syandana is a syandana so it goes in the syandana slot. A mod is a mod so it goes in a mod slot.

Peculiar mods are mods. It is implied by their name. So they go in the mod slot. Saying "But what if a helmet took up a mod slot?" is like saying "But what if a melee weapon took up a Primary Weapon slot?" or "What if a sentinel took up a syndana slot?" It's a pointless comparison because that's not how the game mechanics work.

Because calling people who don't share your opinions "white-knighty" is not an attack on "people who seem to want something differently" than what you want?

a cosmetic is a cosmetic no matter what you call it, mod or not. What I'm saying is don't make a mod that's a cosmetic and call it end-game

Just now, --Q--Phanini said:

a cosmetic is a cosmetic no matter what you call it, mod or not. What I'm saying is don't make a mod that's a cosmetic and call it end-game

It's not really a cosmetic though. It grows flowers on enemies. Plus we have only seen this one. Who knows what the others do yet. I say we wait and see. We only have a few more days

1 minute ago, --Q--Phanini said:

But it is a mod. It has already been decided. They are called peculiar mods.

Again, saying it should not be a mod, is like saying that the Pandero should have been a primary weapon instead of a secondary. Or that exilus mods should have been helmets. 

There is nothing wrong with you saying these things, if you want to, but it just seems pointless to me. I can say I want the Pandero to be a primary all I want, but I don't see what I would hope to accomplish by this. The Pandero will remain a secondary weapon. And peculiar mods will remain mods. 

2 hours ago, --Q--Phanini said:

I wrote this earlier, but once again, I agree with the above.

I'm also curious if the mods will be obtainable only via Onslaughts or would they be sold as cosmetics in the market as well.

1 hour ago, (XB1)Shodian said:

It's not really a cosmetic though. It grows flowers on enemies. Plus we have only seen this one. Who knows what the others do yet. I say we wait and see. We only have a few more days

1 hour ago, rune_me said:

But it is a mod. It has already been decided. They are called peculiar mods.

Again, saying it should not be a mod, is like saying that the Pandero should have been a primary weapon instead of a secondary. Or that exilus mods should have been helmets. 

There is nothing wrong with you saying these things, if you want to, but it just seems pointless to me. I can say I want the Pandero to be a primary all I want, but I don't see what I would hope to accomplish by this. The Pandero will remain a secondary weapon. And peculiar mods will remain mods. 

you guys are missing the point....

If it serves no purpose other than to give visual effects, its a cosmetic...That's simple to understand, right?

So why is there cosmetics in my mod slots?

1 minute ago, --Q--Phanini said:

you guys are missing the point....

If it serves no purpose other than to give visual effects, its a cosmetic...That's simple to understand, right?

So why is there cosmetics in my mod slots?

Because it's a mod. Mods goes in the mod slot. This shouldn't be so hard to understand. 

Just because a mod doesn't do what you want a mod to do, doesn't somehow make it something else than a mod. It's a mod. You will find it in your mod collection a long with all your other mods. You won't find it in your weapons collection. You won't find it in your arcane collection.

So why? Because it's a mod.

Just now, rune_me said:

Because it's a mod. Mods goes in the mod slot. This shouldn't be so hard to understand. 

Just because a mod doesn't do what you want a mod to do, doesn't somehow make it something else than a mod. It's a mod. You will find it in your mod collection a long with all your other mods. You won't find it in your weapons collection. You won't find it in your arcane collection.

So why? Because it's a mod.

the whole point of this discussion is that it SHOULDN'T be a mod, it should have the same effects, but used in a different location, like the cosmetic it is.

How is this so hard to understand? Why do I have to repeat myself on the internet because you clearly can't comprehend the difference between what it is and what it should be?

If you could bring some actual talking points, suggestions or even your own personal ideas maybe people might actually take you seriously, but repeating that it is a mod therefore it is a mod is by far the biggest fallacy I've seen to date.

4 minutes ago, --Q--Phanini said:

the whole point of this discussion is that it SHOULDN'T be a mod, it should have the same effects, but used in a different location, like the cosmetic it is.

How is this so hard to understand? Why do I have to repeat myself on the internet because you clearly can't comprehend the difference between what it is and what it should be?

If you could bring some actual talking points, suggestions or even your own personal ideas maybe people might actually take you seriously, but repeating that it is a mod therefore it is a mod is by far the biggest fallacy I've seen to date.

I get your point just fine, I just don't agree with it.

Or rather, I think it's a pointless argument. You are upset that an apple isn't an orange, because it looks more like an orange to you. But no matter what you think it should be or what it looks like, at the end of the day it is still an apple and arguing anything else is kind of a waste of everyone's time. 

You don't get to define what a mod should or shouldn't be. I don't think that a mod should have both a positive and a negative stat modifier. I feel that goes against what mods are. So should corrupted mods have their own slots as well? Because they don't do what I want mods to do?

33 minutes ago, rune_me said:

Or rather, I think it's a pointless argument. You are upset that an apple isn't an orange, because it looks more like an orange to you. But no matter what you think it should be or what it looks like, at the end of the day it is still an apple and arguing anything else is kind of a waste of everyone's time. 

You don't get to define what a mod should or shouldn't be. I don't think that a mod should have both a positive and a negative stat modifier. I feel that goes against what mods are. So should corrupted mods have their own slots as well? Because they don't do what I want mods to do?

I have never, and will never define what is or isn't a mod, however when you look at 5 years of trends and data, this peculiar mod system is the outlier in what was an already crowded system. 

Also your last statement was purely opinion based, whether you want there to be corrupted mods or not, they've been there since day one, there's no debate about what they are because they define mods.

By definition these so called mods are cosmetics, based on the way they work and feel, and therefore by definition, is in the wrong basket.

5 minutes ago, --Q--Phanini said:

I have never, and will never define what is or isn't a mod

What is this then:

5 minutes ago, --Q--Phanini said:

By definition these so called mods are cosmetics, based on the way they work and feel, and therefore by definition, is in the wrong basket.

That is you defining what a mod is or isn't.

You don't get to do that. As with corrupted mods, I don't get to do that. Only the game developers can define what is what in their game. And they have clearly defined that these a mods and they fit within their definition of what a mod is.

Everything else is just opinion.

Edited by rune_me

50 minutes ago, rune_me said:

@--Q--Phanini

Better to agree to disagree.

You're both offering your opinion, but just happen to be missing each other's point. Doesn't invalidate either.

It's a cosmetic mod (both), let's just stick to feedback; there is validity in both sides.

I know that it means nothing until I feel the mods firsthand, but I have a question pounding in my head:
How many people currently use the bullet jump mods?

I can't remember the last time I've seen or used one. I enjoy the way they look and they have a pretty decent bonus to mobility.

To me these peculiar mods rehash the problem arcane helmets and arcane enhancements have/had (really hate history repeating), such that players are again being forced to make a choice between appearance and power... which DE have said they don't want far too many times to keep doing it.

I'm fine if I'm handicapped by a modifier to add "challenge," but not if I'm handicapped in order to add some flair. 

Edited by Synpai

22 minutes ago, Synpai said:

Better to agree to disagree.

You're both offering your opinion, but just happen to be missing each other's point. Doesn't invalidate either.

It's a cosmetic mod (both), let's just stick to feedback; there is validity in both sides.

Look at you being all diplomatic :crylaugh:

You are right of course. 

Let me also just point out, that I am not at all advocating that these new effects absolutely have to be mods. As I said earlier, I would have no problem at all with them having their own unique slot. It's just that I also have no problem with them being mods and taking up a mod slot. I guess I just don't see what all the fuss is about. There seem to be a lot of strong feelings about something so ultimately unimportant.