Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Operator Ideas

Talonflight

I know that there's a lot of people who just dislike Operators. If you hate them, I'm sorry. You dont need to comment; I know you're out there. We know you're out there. 

This is just a small list of things that I think would be good additions to operators.

1. Operator-Warframe synergy - Designate a Warframe as a "personal" one, which gives your operator a small buff when using that frame and allows the Operator access to 1 of their abilities. In lore, each Warframe was designed for a specific person; there was no free "switching" of warframes like we do in gameplay. This "personalization" makes a small nod to that lore, while still retaining the ability to play with other frames without difficulty. Playing as Operator would be much more fun if you could (nyx) a single enemy to attack the enemy, or launch a psy-shuriken (ash), etc.

2. Secondary weapons - Most secondary weapons SHOULD be usable by the operator. There's no point in farming up weapons and  gear only to be suddenly unable to use them in one of the gameplay situations that already exist when you're forced into Operator Only mode. In addition, most people only use their primary and melee weapons; I almost never see any fellow party members whip out a secondary, unless its an odd loadout involving a sniper or launcher type of weapon. Allowing operators access to secondary weapons such as pistols would lessen the amount of hate for them, as well as  give players incentives to build and upgrade secondaries for reasons other than "muh mastery". SEE ITEM 5

3. Melee weapons - most warframe weapons would be unusable by operators. However, they're supposed to be powerful VOID-magic wielding people. A void-blade or something like that would just add to the cool factor, and make you a little less vulnerable. I'm just a fan of magic blades. Sue me. SEE ITEM 5

4. "Spectre Mode" - when an Operator exits his Warframe, another possibility COULD be to put the warframe into an "active" state where it still can move and fire, with Spectre AI.

5. Operator "Amp Mode" - it could be a simple quality of life to move the current "Stealth" "void-jump" "void blast" "void beam" combo to the 1 2 3 4 keys, like warframe powers. This synergizes well with the existing gameplay mechanics of Warframes. In the case of Item 1, Void Blast would be replaced by the power, as its arguably the most unused power. 

6. Operator Age-Slider - the ability to age up or down your character would be AMAZING. Warframe has been out for YEARS now; the premise that Defense missions are defending unwoken Tenno plays into that as well that some tenno woke up before others; perhaps years apart. This means that Tenno could age between their childlike state and a more adult state, though obviously not FULL adulthood to keep the narrative of the War Within intact. An age range from 10-18 ish could be performed. One of the BIGGEST complaints that many people had was that the Tenno were "small teeny-bopper whiny babies" (I MYSELF DO NOT SHARE THIS SENTIMENT, I HAPPEN TO LIKE OPERATORS!). Adding a slider with additional options means that people will be able to customize how they look and seem, yet maintaining youth still gives it lore correspondance. 

7. Parkour 1.0. - the Tenno have mentally been piloting hardcore ninja flesh-puppets that routinely jump, run, climb, and leap over things. SOME of this has to be leaking back into the Tenno. They SHOULD NOT have parkour 2.0; that sort of mobility and power should be RESERVED for Warframes. However, the basic old-school 1.0 "run up wall" and "run along wall" without any added stuff should be available.

22 minutes ago, Talonflight said:

4. "Spectre Mode" - when an Operator exits his Warframe, another possibility COULD be to put the warframe into an "active" state where it still can move and fire, with Spectre AI.

Yes

24 minutes ago, Talonflight said:

1. Operator-Warframe synergy - Designate a Warframe as a "personal" one, which gives your operator a small buff when using that frame and allows the Operator access to 1 of their abilities

If this is a thing I personally want an operator buff differentiate from frame to frame.

Additionally the current skill set/amp sees no problem. It's real fun with some focus nodes. Need more survivability more than anything.

2 hours ago, Talonflight said:

2. Secondary weapons - Most secondary weapons SHOULD be usable by the operator. There's no point in farming up weapons and  gear only to be suddenly unable to use them in one of the gameplay situations that already exist when you're forced into Operator Only mode. In addition, most people only use their primary and melee weapons; I almost never see any fellow party members whip out a secondary, unless its an odd loadout involving a sniper or launcher type of weapon. Allowing operators access to secondary weapons such as pistols would lessen the amount of hate for them, as well as  give players incentives to build and upgrade secondaries for reasons other than "muh mastery". SEE ITEM 5

The moment I see this, I imagine my operator wielding dual grakatas. 

OH YES please! 

8. Operator should be able to slide just like frames and void dash should retain momentum. Their current movement system is so damn clunky. No, the roll that uses sliding animation does not count.

9. There should a mature button like other pets have.

Would just like them to at-least know parkour 1.0. They dont need to bullet jump and whats the point of fall damage.

2 hours ago, Talonflight said:

In lore,

Dont bother worrying about "lore". its fluid and changes whenever they wish if its cool enough.

I would love to see more dynamic Operator movement.

3 hours ago, Talonflight said:

6. Operator Age-Slider - the ability to age up or down your character would be AMAZING. Warframe has been out for YEARS now; the premise that Defense missions are defending unwoken Tenno plays into that as well that some tenno woke up before others; perhaps years apart. This means that Tenno could age between their childlike state and a more adult state, though obviously not FULL adulthood to keep the narrative of the War Within intact. An age range from 10-18 ish could be performed. One of the BIGGEST complaints that many people had was that the Tenno were "small teeny-bopper whiny babies" (I MYSELF DO NOT SHARE THIS SENTIMENT, I HAPPEN TO LIKE OPERATORS!). Adding a slider with additional options means that people will be able to customize how they look and seem, yet maintaining youth still gives it lore correspondance. 

As I remember DE said in one of the devstreams that Operator aging is tied to the main story line. We will probably grow older through some kind of timeskip during a quest or something like that.

3 hours ago, Talonflight said:

1. Operator-Warframe synergy - Designate a Warframe as a "personal" one, which gives your operator a small buff when using that frame and allows the Operator access to 1 of their abilities. In lore, each Warframe was designed for a specific person; there was no free "switching" of warframes like we do in gameplay. This "personalization" makes a small nod to that lore, while still retaining the ability to play with other frames without difficulty. Playing as Operator would be much more fun if you could (nyx) a single enemy to attack the enemy, or launch a psy-shuriken (ash), etc.

Speaking of the lore and creating warframes I would kind of like there to be an end game quest where you gather parts to craft your own custom Warframe similar to the Zaw system, but with more parts, less simplified, and more quest based than merchant based. Personally I think something like the Riven system where the parts can have random stats would be good as new abilities could be added to the pool of possible one to get in the future without much issue so the system could expand over time. If you made the questline for this extremely high level it would be great end game content.

Operator can probably use all those items (though we don't know how Warframes actually function, what is possible and what is not within the universe) but we do know that our Operators are extremely vulnerable and once they die in the physical form, they die for good. That is the reason they'll only project themselves to their Warframes trough the transference process but they never actually leave the Orbiter because of this vulnerability of theirs (Mirage lore for example).

On 4/25/2018 at 9:05 AM, Selpar said:

Speaking of the lore and creating warframes I would kind of like there to be an end game quest where you gather parts to craft your own custom Warframe similar to the Zaw system, but with more parts, less simplified, and more quest based than merchant based. Personally I think something like the Riven system where the parts can have random stats would be good as new abilities could be added to the pool of possible one to get in the future without much issue so the system could expand over time. If you made the questline for this extremely high level it would be great end game content.

As cool as this could be, this would never happen. Its a fun idea, but balancing would be a nightmare and just IMAGIINE how irritating it would be to run into someones "Mirage CLones" "Ember WoF" "Volt Speed" "Hydroid Puddle" build.

On 4/25/2018 at 5:40 AM, elcion said:

Yes

If this is a thing I personally want an operator buff differentiate from frame to frame.

Additionally the current skill set/amp sees no problem. It's real fun with some focus nodes. Need more survivability more than anything.

Ideally, you could keep the current skillset/amp mode as a second weapon, making when you play as Operator Amp=Primary, Secondary=secondary, and COOL VOID SWORDZ as Melee

On 4/25/2018 at 7:59 AM, Renseiryuu said:

The moment I see this, I imagine my operator wielding dual grakatas. 

OH YES please! 

There would have to be some sort of balance to it. Our pod-children wouldn't be able to hold a single Grakata most likely, unless they make some gains real quick. Certain weapons would have to be off the table due to size, sadly, Dual Grakata among them.

Hmm, they are 'Child' and they not even train to be a soldier... Not to mention they're 'Sleep' until recently. So, no... Their body cannot bear the kicking of the guns or lift any melee weapon on that regard... But in the future?? If they're older like about 5 years older. That would be possible.

But, the Warframe-Buff-Operator is a good idea. Also, the Operator can grap onto something and jump up. They don't even need Parkour 1.0 when you can just Void dash all the way... They can even reach the ceiling where Warframe 'Bullet Jump' cannot reach.

Spectre Mode - However... would be very exciting. But who gonna control the Warframe... Maybe the man on the wall?? 

There's a risk that comes with giving control of your Warframe to the AI though.

If they still made it invincible, it would basically a somewhat abusable deployable turret, especially if it takes control of the weapon you're holding. Potentially creating ridiculous situations where you have it sit and camp a chokepoint with a Lenz or Supra. They'll have to get rid of its invincibility or damage reduction to stop it from becoming the ultimate decoy. For people who use Transference to get out of sticky situations by dropping an invincible shell and dashing off into the distance, this would completely kill that escape strategy.

The other being, does it consume resources to still fire its weapon. Since it will be firing the weapon that you were holding, and will be getting back, it would be really odd if it consumed its own ammo during the duration. Ammo has to be drained else, it opens up a ridiculous situation of having a full fire rate weapon to create a minigun turret, working around weapons with low ammo reserves and high fire rate.

Equinox's Duality is a good comparison and gauge to this. It splits off from you and just does its own thing and expires when its duration is up, because of that, it losing health or wasting ammo is of no consequence to you. This is of course, offset by the fact that you're paying modding power and 25 Energy for a really short duration. If it's going to be an automatic thing, it should not be allowed to be stronger than Equinox's Duality and if it's going to be something that you have to pay some resource for, Energy, Void Energy, etc, then it would somewhat overlap with the value of the Augment.

18 minutes ago, Flandyrll said:

If they still made it invincible, it would basically a somewhat abusable deployable turret, especially if it takes control of the weapon you're holding. Potentially creating ridiculous situations where you have it sit and camp a chokepoint with a Lenz or Supra. They'll have to get rid of its invincibility or damage reduction to stop it from becoming the ultimate decoy. For people who use Transference to get out of sticky situations by dropping an invincible shell and dashing off into the distance, this would completely kill that escape strategy.

Remember the time where transference did not make your warframe invincible? You take control of your operator and... that's it... The Operator have no purpose. It's just a added lore. You don't even want to use Operator in the fighting.

But when PoE hit and Operator can fight. The Warframe were made invincible so the Operator can fight without worries about their Warframe being destroyed. But what if Spectre Mode take control when Operator where out of Warframe for a fixed time? Let's say 30 seconds. The Warframe invincibility will be cancel and the Warframe will fight on their own. Make this a way or a New Focus shcool where you can disable this. This way the problem won't happen. Or just make it the Operator ability, right now Operator have Transference (5) ability only when they're fighting... I mean the 1 to 4 ability like Warframe. Where you can control the Warframe and fight on the field.

5 hours ago, (PS4)OvalNova said:

OPERATOR WITH GALATINE WHEN?!

Too big for them to use. At best they'd be using whips, longswords, machetes, maybe fists if it's void-infused output. However, I'd like to see "exalted" weapons for the Operator melee.

The void breaks down all logical science, who's to say they can't learn to make their own weapons (energy drain excluded cause it'll never be as strong as a warframe's version) with void energy if they can already shoot lasers from their hands?

On 4/27/2018 at 4:55 AM, NocheLuz said:

Hmm, they are 'Child' and they not even train to be a soldier... Not to mention they're 'Sleep' until recently. So, no... Their body cannot bear the kicking of the guns or lift any melee weapon on that regard... But in the future?? If they're older like about 5 years older. That would be possible.

But, the Warframe-Buff-Operator is a good idea. Also, the Operator can grap onto something and jump up. They don't even need Parkour 1.0 when you can just Void dash all the way... They can even reach the ceiling where Warframe 'Bullet Jump' cannot reach.

Spectre Mode - However... would be very exciting. But who gonna control the Warframe... Maybe the man on the wall?? 

Considering that modern-day children are physically able to hold and fire firearms, I would say that the operator is fully capable of wielding basic non-dual-wielding secondaries like Semi-Auto pistols, throwing knives, revolver, SOME submachine guns like Furis. Something like GRAKATA would be out of the question. Same thing for Melee; daggers, dual daggers, single longswords, machete, glaive, and staff would likely be the only ones they physically could use. ANything two handed (except daggers) would be too much. 

23 hours ago, (PS4)Foxkid_8 said:

Too big for them to use. At best they'd be using whips, longswords, machetes, maybe fists if it's void-infused output. However, I'd like to see "exalted" weapons for the Operator melee.

The void breaks down all logical science, who's to say they can't learn to make their own weapons (energy drain excluded cause it'll never be as strong as a warframe's version) with void energy if they can already shoot lasers from their hands?

Hand-lightsabers WHEN

About aging the operator: I hoped that the upcoming "Sacrifice"-Story was about growing up...

As for powers or mechanics:

A) "Bring back" Transcendence. I just loved the idea of the unstable Kids trapped inside their containment, unleashed/screaming at the world and wreaking havok upon it. However, once the War Within is won, this is gone. I kinda want it back.
What about, instead of pressing 5 short to activate transference, hold 5 while in the WarFrame to activate the old Transcendence mode (perhaps requires full operator energy and cripples regeneration of that energy for a minute or disables Operator Mode for a while after this).

B) Switch back to the Frame willingly: Upon losing health, the operator vanishes and is back in control of the frame where ever it was left standing. I would like to do this without losing all health. For example: Dash stealth forward as the operator, hack something and get back to the point where you left the frame.
Again what about instead of pressing 5 short to leave operator-mode(and port the frame over), press it longer to get back to the position where you left the frame behind.

C) In the "War Within" we trained so hard to shock and control the Golden Maw, let's do something like this in the real world. For example: Let the operators take over Walkers, and use this as a "stealth mode" to walk around unnoticed on corpus ships.  Use it to highjack the vehicle in the highjack missions, or let's take over huge ass robots to battle Eidolon-like monsters [cough]Pacific Rim[/cough]...

D) Oh, yeah, while we're at it: Give us Missions that make (more) use of the operator. Perhaps the "lone tenno operative" we always fight in "Survival" for, could be played as the operator. Or perhaps there's some parts of the level the Warframes can't enter ("In an effort to halt the infestation the Corpus scientists created a forcefield, that has a side-effect which could also disable WarFrames, sneak in [as Operator] and sabotage/alter their designs before they get an idea about what they have at hand...").

Am 25.4.2018 um 17:06 schrieb BETAOPTICS:

That is the reason they'll only project themselves to their Warframes trough the transference process but they never actually leave the Orbiter because of this vulnerability of theirs (Mirage lore for example).

So, the operators on the field are just some kind of psychic projections as well? In that case it kinda makes sense, that the operator in the orbiter stands up, instead of just projecting out whrerever the frame is.

5 hours ago, thor_sten said:

About aging the operator: I hoped that the upcoming "Sacrifice"-Story was about growing up...

As for powers or mechanics:

A) "Bring back" Transcendence. I just loved the idea of the unstable Kids trapped inside their containment, unleashed/screaming at the world and wreaking havok upon it. However, once the War Within is won, this is gone. I kinda want it back.
What about, instead of pressing 5 short to activate transference, hold 5 while in the WarFrame to activate the old Transcendence mode (perhaps requires full operator energy and cripples regeneration of that energy for a minute or disables Operator Mode for a while after this).

B) Switch back to the Frame willingly: Upon losing health, the operator vanishes and is back in control of the frame where ever it was left standing. I would like to do this without losing all health. For example: Dash stealth forward as the operator, hack something and get back to the point where you left the frame.
Again what about instead of pressing 5 short to leave operator-mode(and port the frame over), press it longer to get back to the position where you left the frame behind.

C) In the "War Within" we trained so hard to shock and control the Golden Maw, let's do something like this in the real world. For example: Let the operators take over Walkers, and use this as a "stealth mode" to walk around unnoticed on corpus ships.  Use it to highjack the vehicle in the highjack missions, or let's take over huge ass robots to battle Eidolon-like monsters [cough]Pacific Rim[/cough]...

D) Oh, yeah, while we're at it: Give us Missions that make (more) use of the operator. Perhaps the "lone tenno operative" we always fight in "Survival" for, could be played as the operator. Or perhaps there's some parts of the level the Warframes can't enter ("In an effort to halt the infestation the Corpus scientists created a forcefield, that has a side-effect which could also disable WarFrames, sneak in [as Operator] and sabotage/alter their designs before they get an idea about what they have at hand...").

So, the operators on the field are just some kind of psychic projections as well? In that case it kinda makes sense, that the operator in the orbiter stands up, instead of just projecting out whrerever the frame is.

Of some sort. Hard to say how that works exactly, but something akin to that I suppose.

6 hours ago, Talonflight said:

Considering that modern-day children are physically able to hold and fire firearms, I would say that the operator is fully capable of wielding basic non-dual-wielding secondaries like Semi-Auto pistols, throwing knives, revolver, SOME submachine guns like Furis. Something like GRAKATA would be out of the question. Same thing for Melee; daggers, dual daggers, single longswords, machete, glaive, and staff would likely be the only ones they physically could use. ANything two handed (except daggers) would be too much.

Yes, they are capable... But I said they cannot bear the kicking of the gun. Which still mean it is useless for them anyway. Thowing knives may be possible but even with Warframe strength... it's still hard. For melee weapon like dagger also still the same as Thowing knives. They can lift it but didn't mean they can use it. Even Warframe find it hard to use daggers to attack the enemies. Operator using dagger would not even deal 10% of what Warframes can deal to enemies.

But we do saw them atleast handle 'Broken Scepter' which count as 'Staff' in the story. I would say they do have physical ability to use some melee weapon. But when they think that the Warframes were more capable... I think they discard the idea of using it themself... or atleast that is what I think.

However, I do support the idea of Operator using Warframes weaponry... it's just... our present Operator's physical condition seem not capable of using them 'yet'. Also, it's seem like useless feature consider that using Warframe to fight is more effective. But if the Operator have to fight where they cannot use their Warframes. It's might be a good idea to use Warframe's Weaponry instend of Void power that Armor can reduce their damage (lol).

Eh, they could simply explain it as "void power" to perform tactile Telekinesis, hence granting Operators superhuman strength that perhaps even exceeds a Warframe's.

Right now we don't even know what void power does, other than the fact it can be used to blast people, dash large distances and become ethereal. Any excuse for an older operator, though. Like an actual 18 - 20 year old who can use the weapons as an adult can.

Edited by Guest