The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should Warframe be more sci fi or fantasy?

What I mean is before the Operators were introduced everything was good old sci-fi with fighting clones, greedy corporates or the infested, but after they were added most of the quests we see now have a supernatural or fantasy feel to them, Chains of Harrow and Second Dream are examples of what I mean.

Edited by (PS4)zeratul____12

The game's not sci-fi and never really was. It's future fantasy. The difference is one is a genuine look at a possible future outcome using predictions of scientific development, and the other is space wizards and/or vaguely defined tech that can do whatever, screw physics. So, I'd say fantasy elements. That's not to knock one or the other mind you, it's just a genuine observation of the Genre Warframe fits in.

7 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

Could you at least vaguely expand on what you mean with the title?

The game is sci-fi with fantasy elements.

What I mean is before the Operators were introduced everything was good old sci-fi with fighting clones, greedy corporates or the infested, but after they were added most of the quests we see now have a supernatural or fantasy feel to them, Chains of Harrow and Second Dream are examples of what I mean.

There's a reason "Sci-Fi/Fantasy" tends to be a compound genre, enough in either direction and you get functionally identical stories.  Fancy enough technology, and you're capable of feats that might as well be magic.  Sufficiently analyze magic, and you get what is essentially just technology that glows.  "Hard" Science Fiction is almost a completely different genre, though.

Right now, I'd say Warframe is a fantasy with aspects of soft Sci-Fi.  Like, it's supposed to just all be really really advanced technology, but most of the "magic" stuff relies on the existence of ~THE VOID~, a decidedly fantastic element.  In addition, there's never really an explanation for anything, though admittedly "Mass Effect fields" and "Nanomachines (son)" are just as much BS answers as "~VOID MAGIC OOOO~" for how things work.

That said, I'd be all for more Fantasy, I think Warframe lends itself well to that sort of thing.

13 minutes ago, (PS4)zeratul____12 said:

Except for the always present sentient dimension of horrors that is the Void. That has been known about since before the Operators. What branch of science does that fall under?

The Infested, a hive mind that is capable of infecting man and machine. Weapons that project microwaves and make enemies grow in size. Frames that stomp so hard they stop time.

Operators are when you saw this stuff appear?

1 minute ago, peterc3 said:

Except for the always present sentient dimension of horrors that is the Void. That has been known about since before the Operators. What branch of science does that fall under?

The Infested, a hive mind that is capable of infecting man and machine. Weapons that project microwaves and make enemies grow in size. Frames that stomp so hard they stop time.

Operators are when you saw this stuff appear?

Ok you got me there but the fantasy element just became more obvious the further you went

I want it to be more sci-fi when it comes to the story, factions, who we fight, and even the tools that we use (weapons, ships, archwings, etc) but more fantasy when it comes to the Warframes.

Edited by A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n

Warframe has always been a combination of sci-fi and fantasy.

We have many bizarre things in Warframe. Such as mythical ancient warriors running around, cutting enemies in half with swords. They also have powers that can barely be explained, almost like magic.

Actually, I'd say Warframe is a fantasy game with sci-fi elements.

Edited by yles9056

I'm kinda hoping for fantasy, as it usually leads to a better, and more beautiful, open world experience. With sci-fi you can rocket around maps in seconds. Especially with all the lore we have, I would like more fantasy, with sci-fi to give it some validity

I think both are amazing. I want more of all of it cuz all of it is real tbh. Science and Supernatural type stuff. Science has been proven and studyed but Supernatural is supposedly not able to be studyed but it's more of a feeling. But anything can be studyed and somewhat understood. So yup.