The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do player ideas for Warframes/ weapons ever get integrated into the game?

CorerMaximus

The title pretty much; players sometimes make suggestions or have ideas for new warframes and weapons, and go into great detail with their designs, abilities, looks, themes, etc. that I would assume take several hours, if not days of work. Do any of these materialize within the game itself though, and if so, would it be possible to provide links to the fan(s) ideas that got that started? 

Truth be told, I had a few ideas that I was in the process of fleshing out (another thread after I'm done), but am holding off since at least from what I've been following, fan ideas have just remained ideas and seem like a great discussion area, but never something that DE have used as a space to develop content directly from. 

You can post your ideas, but DE isn’t required to make them happen ingame, and you can’t know if they’ll see them or not, it’s as simple as that 

Regarding your Q, yes they did that many times, and I’m sure the guys commenting here will let you know 

From my experience, I made an AW feedback thread when AW was just launched, and it was using stats from the warframes (mainly hp, armor...etc) which made frames like valkyr and rhino the top used, so I made a suggestion to scrap that and make AW mods of these stats and stats for each AW, to which Reb replied and soon after, warframes had nothing to do with AW and you could bring what you like without worrying about stats.....I think you can still find the thread in my history 

13 minutes ago, Fishyflakes said:

Jat Kusar
Silva & Aegis
All Tennogen weapon skins

They have "contests" sometimes, which is how for sure the Jat Kusar was created.

So if I'm understanding this right, aside from Tennogen (different from changing mechanics of the game through integrating player suggested weapons/ frames), DE adds stuff to the game, but only through contests, and quite rarely by themselves; and even then- its only limited to weapons as opposed to something as complex as a new Warframe, is that right?

12 minutes ago, GinKenshin said:

You can post your ideas, but DE isn’t required to make them happen ingame, and you can’t know if they’ll see them or not, it’s as simple as that 

Haha, yep; I know 🙂 It's an idea at the end of the day, I don't expect anyone to really commit to integrating or even commenting on it. It's just that if there have been instances where freely submitted (not as contests) player ideas for things as entire Warframes have integrated themselves into the game, that'd be a huge boost to my drive, and I'd imagine others too to contribute in such a way to merely have the chance of having my idea integrated into the game; if there haven't been such instances in the past, you can see why some people, myself included, would be hesitant about spending a lot of time developing and iterating on an idea if it will result in nothing. Once again, I'm not saying anyone is obliged to integrate an idea into the game, but if done so, even once in several years, you can see how it would motivate people to submit ideas.

8 minutes ago, (XB1)Furious Kaiser said:

"Both the name and the abilities of this Warframe were chosen by submissions of Design Council being filtered by Digital Extremes then voting by the Design Council community."

That's pretty interesting to be honest, but aside from the DC being pretty exclusive and me hoping to find instances of forum/ community submitted ideas being integrated into the game, Nova seems more of the DC voting as opposed to someone laying the groundwork for nova from scratch within the community and DE integrating it into the game.

Edited by CorerMaximus

Nova is more or less the child of the Design Council; I vaguely remember the discussions from way back then, but her abilities and name were made there. Nova is probably the biggest contribution of the DC.

Nekros was actually the result of the close second winner for what the element/theme of the warframe would be. Antimatter came out on top (therefore starting Nova) and Necromancy came second. DE found that it was worth giving the theme a go since it was so close.

Zephyr was visually and thematically based off of a design posted in forums; Steve had stated this in a devstream some time back.

Mios, Silva and Aegis, Kronen, just some examples of weapons designed by players that got accepted, but they were formulated from a contest.

So, yes, there have been many instances of things players have posted that end up in the game. Hell, I indirectly named the Ictus sentinel accessories because it was the close second to the poll that named Helios. Does this sort of thing happen all the time? No, certainly not. Look up Typhus (I think that's the name?) and you'll see and example of a well designed frame that DE has never added. Regardless, DE still enjoys the ideas that the community puts out, and if they see something that they really like they have shown to incorporate it somehow. Plus their willingness to just say "Hey we would like ideas, send some out" is more than most devs would do.

Edited by R34LM

4 minutes ago, R34LM said:

Nova is more or less the child of the Design Council; I vaguely remember the discussions from way back then, but her abilities and name were made there. Nova is probably the biggest contribution of the DC.

Nekros was actually the result of the close second winner for what the element/theme of the warframe would be. Antimatter came out on top (therefore starting Nova) and Necromancy came second. DE found that it was worth giving the theme a go since it was so close.

Zephyr was visually and thematically based off of a design posted in forums; Steve had stated this in a devstream some time back.

Mios, Silva and Aegis, Kronen, just some examples of weapons designed by players that got accepted, but they were formulated from a contest.

So, yes, there have been many instances of things players have posted that end up in the game. Hell, I indirectly named the Ictus sentinel accessories because it was the close second to the poll that named Helios. Does this sort of thing happen all the time? No, certainly not. Look up Typhus (I think that's the name?) and you'll see and example of a well designed frame that DE has never added. Regardless, DE still enjoys the ideas that the community puts out, and if they see something that they really like they have shown to incorporate it somehow. Plus their willingness to just say "Hey we would like ideas, send some out" is more than most devs would do.

Interesting; I'm noticing a lot of these changes and integrations are based on submissions in the DC which while is a bit disheartening to me as someone not on it, it definitely gives me something to strive towards. Thanks a lot for taking the time to aggregate that information, I really appreciate it! 🙂

Depends on the type of integration you have in mind.

If you're talking about the devs taking an idea and copy/pasting it into the game exactly as it was described then I don't think that happens. The devs have expressed in the past that they like to leave their mark on whatever they're adding to the game. So they seem to use player ideas more as a source of inspiration or guidance instead of just selecting one specific idea and integrating it in a straightforward manner. So that's something you should keep in mind if you plan on submitting ideas.

Also, try to keep it short. Devs are always very busy and they can't afford to spend a lot of time checking out a single idea.

49 minutes ago, CorerMaximus said:

Interesting; I'm noticing a lot of these changes and integrations are based on submissions in the DC which while is a bit disheartening to me as someone not on it, it definitely gives me something to strive towards. Thanks a lot for taking the time to aggregate that information, I really appreciate it! 🙂

If you're a really good boy on the forums, and in game (I don't actually know the rules) you get invited to the DC. 

Mod, this is correct right? 

Nova was made by the Design Council, Jat Kusar and Silva & Aegis are both contest winners by the same artist, name of SilverBones. it's very rare that DE launch these contests though, so unless you can get your idea in Feedback, have a lot of people backing AND get DE's attention, only then might it be considered, and even then there's no guarantee it can be put into the game, depending on what it is. for weapons, Tennogen is the best chance of getting a weapon design into the game, albeit as a skin for already existing weapons of the same type.

as for frames, there's tons of frame concepts on here, and many on YouTube and probably Reddit too. none of them ever really gain any traction though, or if they do, DE hasn't noticed.

3 hours ago, CorerMaximus said:

The title pretty much; players sometimes make suggestions or have ideas for new warframes and weapons, and go into great detail with their designs, abilities, looks, themes, etc. that I would assume take several hours, if not days of work. Do any of these materialize within the game itself though, and if so, would it be possible to provide links to the fan(s) ideas that got that started? 

Truth be told, I had a few ideas that I was in the process of fleshing out (another thread after I'm done), but am holding off since at least from what I've been following, fan ideas have just remained ideas and seem like a great discussion area, but never something that DE have used as a space to develop content directly from. 

Practically never.

Equinox was also a Design Council competition frame.

Sometimes concepts similar to player suggestions can come up but it's uncertain if DE were actually inspired by the forums or if it's coincidence.  For example I spent some time in various threads about Forma reworks and Mastery benefit reworks suggesting that using Forma should only reset the item to your Mastery Rank and I'd like to think that might have helped inspire Steve to give us the minimum mod points based on Mastery that we later got.  I have no idea if it did or if it was coincidence though.

One thing I'm pretty sure I influenced was Animal Instinct as it was from a Design Council thread brainstorming about new Nightmare mods.  I suggested a mod that gave both enemy radar and loot radar and someone else suggested radar mods for companions.  The two suggestions were combined to make Animal Instinct.

When it comes to whole frames and weapons it's unlikely to see it in game unless part of a competition.  Some ideas can inspire DE but it'll probably end up not being exactly as you imagined it as DE will put there own twist on the concept and do what they want to with it, Zephyr is an example of this.

If you are wanting to be part of the Design Council and contribute to the stuff we are sometimes asked about then posting ideas and showing that you have both enthusiam and imagination may well get you an invite.

When it comes to reworks, they never take complete player designs but it looks like they take inspiration every once in a while. I've seen limbo's stasis ability and the dash into rift thing in player threads. Currently, I think they're looking at possible vauban improvements from the community. 

It's alot of work to word a post so perfectly that it gets enough likes to be noticed, and the chances of anything major making it into the game are slim. However, if so much as one tiny aspect of a player idea makes it in, I'd count it as a win. If you have some free time on your hands and a master's degree in not offending anyone (very difficult on this site), it can't hurt to try. I doubt that they'd ignore something really high quality with hundreds of likes.