Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ember = trash?????????

Williamwaitunnaing

Question

Hi, I have been asking many people about ember builds and literally, everyone has said that ember is trash now. I am pretty sure DE is not that stupid to make certain characters unplayable but this is kind of proving the point that I might have been wrong about DE's sense of logic or DE just hates or punishes ember players for some reason. Can someone tell me what is happening in the world of nerfs and buffs?

On 2018-08-12 at 1:38 PM, SpacewalkerX said:

Mostly they say she is trash because they cant use her for afk farming as well anymore. 

I like to use her for buffing. She got two augments that boost allied damage, and her fireblast adds damage to all bullets going through.

you can set her up for running and ignoring enemies by maxing sprint and using firequake.

buliding for short duration and long range lets her stun a lot of enemies with accelerant.

the rage/flow/quick thinking/vitalitiy combo will work very well for her in just about any bulid, as long as you have some way to heal yourself. 

Not really. Ember did not commit afk farming, and actually she can't unless on the low level missions enough to kill everything even with Overextended - and is very inefficient as well and there are many better replacements. In such level why you bring Ember to do for Equinox does it much, much better and faster?

With only 22m radius at most, old Ember NEED TO advance constantly in order to affect WoF. It is essential, for 22m is still too short, and such pitiful radius was only accepted because Ember can activate it and move&shoot as well. Because the advantage was removed, and Fireball is good but worse launcher weapons, Ember lost her purpose.

Accelerant is good, but only good if her other abilities are functional and it can't do anything by its own.

Ember can cause some light CCs but if you ever need status effects you should go elsewhere. And you can have some launcher weapons and long-range melee weapons that would be superior than Ember's ability(because you can't do much other than move and recast WoF or simply got killed with her).

Il y a 2 heures, (PS4)aiptekfanboy a dit :

A better question is what is ember best at?

The results from this question was from my view that ember is not best at anything and thus in my view i hardly bother with ember due to other Warframe options that are better.

It could be hard for every frame being best at something since number of modes is limited, and number of frames is constantly increasing.

So it is more about % of top power. Like Netza is 80% Rhino which is still good.

There may be misdesign however. Like Ember passive may look hot on paper, but just doesnt happen or is unimportant (low values). So could be changed into something which does matter.

The second factor is how frame performs in important content. Which is Fissures, Plain, Sortiers, Kuva Flood.

Elite Onslaught and Teralyst hunt is specific mode, which favours specific frames.

So what is Ember good at:

• Stomping low level content hands free, which is not very important. Unless farming some lith relics.
  • Firefenzy combos with Banshee or similar
  • Buffing with Flash Accelerand, which is only +150% but adds up. And could be multiplied in some other ways.
  • Using pure fire weapon and accelerand them by x 7.5
  • Generally good against Infested, however most frames are ok against Infested. With high armour being main challenge. Corpus is neither bad enemy.
  • Soft CC with fire panic, which could happen a lot, but is very short, and if there is a serious CC soft CC does not add much. One heavy cc is enought.

There may be a problem that buffing is not what frame advertise. And some of advanatges (stomping starchart yay)  are not really important. Or all this panic or firequake could be obsolete with Loki or similar CC frame. Maybe Venus/Fortuna will change it. Corpus being easier target.

Edited by felixsylvaris

15 hours ago, Arcira said:

My tests included both. Neither of them is affected only 1 sec. In fact stun and knockdown duration are very similar if not equal. Same for humanoid enemies like heavy gunner (~ 5 sec). Actually after every knock down the gunner was always trying to reposition himself which wasn´t the case for the stun but that could be a random factor.

Accelerant cast (50) / WoF drain (3) = 16.67 ~ 17 (your calculation only works if you assume a constant 5 sec stun mine uses a 1sec base to be able to apply it on different scenarios like:

stun (5 sec) / knockdown (1 sec) = 5 => 16.67 / 5 = 3.33 ~ 3 times more costs

or stun (3 sec) / knockdown (1 sec) = 3 => 16.67 / 3 = 5.33 ~ 5 times more costs

The fact that it can work is not the point.

I think you don´t get the point still. You could chain cast Acclerant in order to improve your defense capabilities but no one would consider this effort worth it. WoF provides passive sustain/tankiness or whatever you want to call it. Accelerant is not a reliable form of defense and you can die very quickly as Ember if you don´t pay attention for a second no matter what build you have. I´m running a QT build with more than 2000 ehp and if I get staggered 1 time it can cost me a revive. Enemies are very inconsistant in damage output. Sometimes they dont hit you at all sometimes they kill you instantly. More layer of defense means more survivability. There was no need to reduce survivability in any way. Ember wasn´t considered too tanky or something it´s simply a side effect of the rework which could have been prevented.

"Improved experience" can mean anything but the fact is you don´t kill sortie enemies with your WoF damage especially not with augmented armor/shields or eximus conditions. What´s left is a energy and range nerf which actually does affect my "experience".

PoE requires you to hug enemies who can snipe you from huge distances not exactly the perfect scenario for a squishy caster. If there is any reason to build for range it´s an open world area. However range builds for Ember are never benefical after the rework because the range nerf affects base and modded range. If you think 4 modslots are worth a 20m radius I can´t help you.

I not talking about other warframes capabilities nor do I care wheter it´s hard for you or not. The changes are a disadvantage for Ember in these gamemodes.

I guess only chargers get up that quick from kd now.  MOAs used to get back up pretty fast, too.

I see what you're doing with the math there, now.  

I activate WoF for that additional layer of defense when I feel it's appropriate, and I re-cast it to maintain its radius if I really feel like that's necessary.  I also do not run QT or any defensive mods at all.  Using WoF as a defensive tool is the exception rather than the rule for me.  I don't see how something that reliably stuns everything in a wider radius is less reliable than something that randomly stuns a few enemies at a time in a smaller radius.  We must be on different wavelengths, or something.

28k DPS is similar to the burst DPS of many Sortie-viable weapons.  You can certainly kill heavy units solely with WoF as long as armor (un-bandaided) or Eximus auras aren't in play.  The energy nerf was warranted and doesn't even matter if you abuse Zenurik or other energy bandaids.

I might slot OE on PoE but mainly I just put more effort into scanning the area and moving around more.  You can also equip some defensive mods if you're worried about snipers or w/e.  

Maybe in ESO?  I don't really play ESO so I can't comment on that.  But in the other two nodes, it's been only more fun for me.  

7 hours ago, ShortCat said:

Actually, Sonar also will not increase slash procs, as apparently WF diffirentiates between increased recieved damage and amplified damage, whereby the later one is at disadvantage. It has nothing to do with fire damage. This is a wholly different discussion. 

I have no idea why you are so eager to trash on this playstyle. Nobody forces you to play like this. Just a freindly reminder that Firequake is a niche for CC oriented builds. There is no magic and no new synergy, it works like it did before and is just a workaround for the unreasonable range nerf. The only thing that changed is, that this set up makes sense now, which is sad on its own. Nobody is promoting it and nobody is glorifying it, however, I understand everyone who uses it today. https://imgur.com/hN3RyPZ

This is my go to build: https://imgur.com/NQK4mmH Now share yours with us. 

Yea, right. Previous Spore-Molt combo and current Spore mechanic are totally the same as Miasma spam from 4 years ago.

Everything else was said by @Arcira

I see that now.  I wonder how long that has been the case.  I remember a while back there was a fad where people would spam Sonar and use it to massively boost Maim's Slash procs and cheese endless missions.  Is this the result of a bandaid solution to that cheese?

People unironically use a minimum strength build?  What's even the point of Ember then, except to cheese Interceptions and the like by chain-casting Accelerant?  There's even Handspring and Vitality in there.  

Seems like a good build to me.  Pretty similar to mine except for the defensive mods.  This is what I use: http://warframe-builder.com/Warframes/Builder/Ember_prime/t_30_4333220030_4-3-5-5-2-5-12-7-2-34-8-5-55-1-5-411-5-10-479-4-10-615-9-4-777-0-3-873-6-10_777-11-55-6-5-5-4-5-479-7-411-8-873-16-12-8-34-14-615-8_11/en/1-0-4/

With the addition of Umbral Intensify I may end up getting another Ember Prime so that I can have more build flexibility.

You can still press4towin with Saryn, but most people settle for just pressing 1 now and waiting, just as they would spam 1 on Molt in gen 2.  The removal of the spore Toxin proc spread mechanic from gen 2 Saryn is probably the biggest change, for the minority who used it.  

1 hour ago, RealPandemonium said:

People unironically use a minimum strength build?  What's even the point of Ember then, except to cheese Interceptions and the like by chain-casting Accelerant?  There's even Handspring and Vitality in there.  

With the addition of Umbral Intensify I may end up getting another Ember Prime so that I can have more build flexibility.

You answered your own question in a way right there. 

Secondly, you've been told the answer to your question many times by people in other threads. And then again in this thread. 

Edited by (PS4)Kairu_Aname
Spelling edits

8 hours ago, felixsylvaris said:

It could be hard for every frame being best at something since number of modes is limited, and number of frames is constantly increasing.

So it is more about % of top power. Like Netza is 80% Rhino which is still good.

There may be misdesign however. Like Ember passive may look hot on paper, but just doesnt happen or is unimportant (low values). So could be changed into something which does matter.

The second factor is how frame performs in important content. Which is Fissures, Plain, Sortiers, Kuva Flood.

Elite Onslaught and Teralyst hunt is specific mode, which favours specific frames.

So what is Ember good at:

• Stomping low level content hands free, which is not very important. Unless farming some lith relics.
  • Firefenzy combos with Banshee or similar
  • Buffing with Flash Accelerand, which is only +150% but adds up. And could be multiplied in some other ways.
  • Using pure fire weapon and accelerand them by x 7.5
  • Generally good against Infested, however most frames are ok against Infested. With high armour being main challenge. Corpus is neither bad enemy.
  • Soft CC with fire panic, which could happen a lot, but is very short, and if there is a serious CC soft CC does not add much. One heavy cc is enought.

There may be a problem that buffing is not what frame advertise. And some of advanatges (stomping starchart yay)  are not really important. Or all this panic or firequake could be obsolete with Loki or similar CC frame. Maybe Venus/Fortuna will change it. Corpus being easier target.

Low level content ? I rather run a fast ivara ignis and most times in Low level content its drop controller get soda and sweeper prime killed many enemy lol.

Ember is a new player frame that gets abandoned when better frames become available to the new player.

Ember needs a better passive and four new powers to regain any relevance when compared to better warframes.

6 hours ago, RealPandemonium said:

I see that now.  I wonder how long that has been the case.  I remember a while back there was a fad where people would spam Sonar and use it to massively boost Maim's Slash procs and cheese endless missions.  Is this the result of a bandaid solution to that cheese?

Seems like a good build to me.  Pretty similar to mine except for the defensive mods.  This is what I use: http://warframe-builder.com/Warframes/Builder/Ember_prime/t_30_4333220030_4-3-5-5-2-5-12-7-2-34-8-5-55-1-5-411-5-10-479-4-10-615-9-4-777-0-3-873-6-10_777-11-55-6-5-5-4-5-479-7-411-8-873-16-12-8-34-14-615-8_11/en/1-0-4/

You can still press4towin with Saryn, but most people settle for just pressing 1 now and waiting, just as they would spam 1 on Molt in gen 2.  The removal of the spore Toxin proc spread mechanic from gen 2 Saryn is probably the biggest change, for the minority who used it.  

Dude the meme build that was posted is build purely around WoF and Fire quake killing enemies in as big a radius around you with as little effort as possible at low levels. When the enemies get killed with a 400 damage heat proc WoF eats tons of enemies quickly. This build was the whole reason she got "nerfed" was the people crying over the "kill stealing" of this build. Yes it was completely useless at damaging stuff like over 40 but it wasn't needed in the areana's it was employed. Why are you so stuck on accelerant? meme build Ember doesn't use Accelerant, accelerant doesn't do any damage like WoF.  If you can kill with 40% str WoF procs you don't need to stun dead stuff.

4 hours ago, Andaius said:

Dude the meme build that was posted is build purely around WoF and Fire quake killing enemies in as big a radius around you with as little effort as possible at low levels. When the enemies get killed with a 400 damage heat proc WoF eats tons of enemies quickly. This build was the whole reason she got "nerfed" was the people crying over the "kill stealing" of this build. Yes it was completely useless at damaging stuff like over 40 but it wasn't needed in the areana's it was employed. Why are you so stuck on accelerant? meme build Ember doesn't use Accelerant, accelerant doesn't do any damage like WoF.  If you can kill with 40% str WoF procs you don't need to stun dead stuff.

Lol wut?  Some people are claiming that they unironically use Ember in Sorties and the like, soley for Firequake's lazy CC and, apparently, nothing else since they run a min str build with negligible damage potential.  

Low level nuking isn't even part of this conversation.  

12 minutes ago, RealPandemonium said:

Lol wut?  Some people are claiming that they unironically use Ember in Sorties and the like, soley for Firequake's lazy CC and, apparently, nothing else since they run a min str build with negligible damage potential.  

Ok. That's the main issue you have with it. 

Just figured it out. You think that using Ember's 4 for something other than damage is lazy. 

Just now, (PS4)Kairu_Aname said:

Ok. That's the main issue you have with it. 

Just figured it out. You think that using Ember's 4 for something other than damage is lazy. 

The power is "lazy" by design, but I'm not saying that someone is lazy just because they use it.  They can be lazy, or AFK, or w/e, but when I say "lazy CC,"  I mean that the main draw is that it's hands-free.  

Just now, RealPandemonium said:

The power is "lazy" by design, but I'm not saying that someone is lazy just because they use it.  They can be lazy, or AFK, or w/e, but when I say "lazy CC,"  I mean that the main draw is that it's hands-free.  

Doesn't matter. You, yourself, think it's lazy overall. 

Dude, suggest changes to it. That's even more lazy if you don't. If you don't like the way something works, give that feedback

vor 3 Stunden schrieb RealPandemonium:

I honestly doubt that many people really do it since a damage focused build is quite a lot better to the same end but it ain't false eather that this is Fire Quakes current nieche.

I mean between ember and fully Cc focused stationary frames, ember is definitly the more flexible, rather then lazy choice. Even the way she currently is.

vor 18 Stunden schrieb (PS4)aiptekfanboy:

The results from this question was from my view that ember is not best at anything and thus in my view i hardly bother with ember due to other Warframe options that are better.

And to cover that one as well, she's best at mobile Cc on a max range build and best at a damage/Cc/buff ratio on a mixed build. There just ain't no other frames that can Cc that well with theyr hands free, that can transit into stunlock Cc that makes damage burst, that are at the same time able to fully sustain it the way she can due to the nature of WoF.

Like everything in this game gotta be 100% focused on one thing to begin with. Jack-of-all- trades is a legitimate role too and there's hardly anything that comes even close to her in that sector.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

4 hours ago, (PS4)Kairu_Aname said:

Doesn't matter. You, yourself, think it's lazy overall. 

Dude, suggest changes to it. That's even more lazy if you don't. If you don't like the way something works, give that feedback

AFK farming or macroing is lazy. Using WoF to augment an active playstyle is not lazy.  

I think WoF needs more than just a simple range <---> damage continuum for players to think about.  Maybe a bonus effect for toggling off, with a bigger payoff the longer you channel, but the energy cost keeps going up until you do.  The aim should be to eliminate WoF as a passive ability and give players multiple ways to play with it.  

3 hours ago, RealPandemonium said:

AFK farming or macroing is lazy. Using WoF to augment an active playstyle is not lazy.  

I think WoF needs more than just a simple range <---> damage continuum for players to think about.  Maybe a bonus effect for toggling off, with a bigger payoff the longer you channel, but the energy cost keeps going up until you do.  The aim should be to eliminate WoF as a passive ability and give players multiple ways to play with it.  

Giving it more cost reduces ways to play with it. That's just a fact and should never be suggested because that's lazy changes and does nothing for the frame other than hurt it directly. 

Turning it off for an added effect. That's a good idea. That should have been what they did

On 2018-08-15 at 10:23 PM, (PS4)aiptekfanboy said:

If you can't afford any other frames, but it can't be happen.

What she is better at... perhaps, if you can't afford Equinox, but want to go Neptune and need to play melee only. But even at that time I think that you can play Volt and spamming 4 or something similar(Excalibur 3, for example).

23 hours ago, Hypernaut1 said:

The exaggeration is hilarious. If you thought ember was "God-tier" before rework, how is she not good now? Her ONLY Nerf is that you need to recast WoF. Other than that, she got at least 2 buffs.  

That removes her viability, actually. Old Ember's only advantage was she can move and shoot while keep WoF on(and also casting Accelerant). Since she need to recast it constantly(about every 6 to 8 seconds!), and she needs to pay more energy to do, all she can do is advance and cast/recast WoF, nothing more. Increased energy spent means you can't access for Accelerant more as well.

She was already an inferior Equinox/Octavia, but the change even removes her niche. Since she need to recaste WoF all the times, why not to use many other warframe's ability that damages large area instead?

As I said above, Volt's 4 seems much superior than that, although its casting time is horrible but Ember is also suffered by it, covers as much radius or more than WoF, and also stalls the enemy. And Volt can also cast Speed and Electrical Shield as well, while Ember got nothing more than damage stuffs that is inferior than the weapons.

And you know, Volt is not the top frame in the game.

Edited by DroopingPuppy

1 hour ago, DroopingPuppy said:

If you can't afford any other frames, but it can't be happen.

What she is better at... perhaps, if you can't afford Equinox, but want to go Neptune and need to play melee only. But even at that time I think that you can play Volt and spamming 4 or something similar(Excalibur 3, for example).

That removes her viability, actually. Old Ember's only advantage was she can move and shoot while keep WoF on(and also casting Accelerant). Since she need to recast it constantly(about every 6 to 8 seconds!), and she needs to pay more energy to do, all she can do is advance and cast/recast WoF, nothing more. Increased energy spent means you can't access for Accelerant more as well.

She was already an inferior Equinox/Octavia, but the change even removes her niche. Since she need to recaste WoF all the times, why not to use many other warframe's ability that damages large area instead?

As I said above, Volt's 4 seems much superior than that, although its casting time is horrible but Ember is also suffered by it, covers as much radius or more than WoF, and also stalls the enemy. And Volt can also cast Speed and Electrical Shield as well, while Ember got nothing more than damage stuffs that is inferior than the weapons.

And you know, Volt is not the top frame in the game.

WoF CC has reached mythical status now that it's gone. You would have new players believing that it was like a mobile banshee quake x10. It wasnt nearly that reliable. It hit ONE random enemy every second. Now that I think about it, shouldn't recasting increase it's effectiveness since that's the ONLY time it hits more than one enemey (5) per blast?

Anyone that did good with Ember before can do practically the same exact thing with her now. Energy isn't even that much of an issue. You simply recast. SIMPLY. RECAST.

I find it rather peculiar that Ember's ice counterpart (frost) got the treatment he deserved and she didn't. (probably because the number of angry nerf herders complaining a 4-5 forma ember clearing out a low level alert....)

fireball is still basically in the same state that ice wave was long ago (1 narrow wave vs the large cone ice wave is now.)
Fireball needs to at max level default fire 3 fireballs in front of her, and maybe even add the option of charging the shot, making it consume additional energy for a larger aoe with knockdown + proc. Fireball is just very underwhelming and dated compared to how most other frames her age got their 1st reworked. (Rhino, Frost, Excal, etc)

Fireblast is kinda ok... However I feel the ring that lingers after the initial cast should be larger, and scale with Range. 

Accelerant is one ability that drastically needs to be reworked. Saryn's toxic lash comes to mind...  Perhaps add fire damage to all of Ember's weapons/abilities, and enemies hit by weapons/powers explode. 

WoF is nothing resembling "World" on fire... considering it shrinks smaller and smaller over time.... Miasma feels like a better WoF then this ability does.... WoF would be better even if it just made the whole tile set damaged and on fire-- akin to grineer and corpus invasions against each other.

Too many people complaining about her, and the resulting band-aids to appease them just made her a very unfun and weak frame. Takes the Cannon OUT of Glass Cannon. 
She's pretty to look at like glass, squishy as such, but without anything to back it up. Saryn is substantially tankier, with an escape option- speed boost decoy, and does much more damage in a larger range using less energy. Ember can hardly compete with any other dps frame... let alone the cc frames... Unless you are so determined to fix her, you use her as a dps support frame with every augment to make her mildly usable.

Very Ironic to me that a damage dps frame is used for her weak cc over her damage now. I've been arguing the point of nerfs for quite some time now. 
(Hey Panda, nice to see you again.) 

4 hours ago, Hypernaut1 said:

WoF CC has reached mythical status now that it's gone. You would have new players believing that it was like a mobile banshee quake x10. It wasnt nearly that reliable. It hit ONE random enemy every second. Now that I think about it, shouldn't recasting increase it's effectiveness since that's the ONLY time it hits more than one enemey (5) per blast?

Anyone that did good with Ember before can do practically the same exact thing with her now. Energy isn't even that much of an issue. You simply recast. SIMPLY. RECAST.

It hits 2.5 enemies per second.  The instant 5 ticks on cast does cover you when re-casting, though.

It is true that you can just recast, but people are complaining that it costs too much energy to do so.  If you use zenurik and other energy bandaids this is a non-issue, then, but if you try not to be slimy like that then the energy cost nerfs are there.  I personally don't rely on energy bandaids and have no problems, but the prevailing wisdom is that Ember should have WoF all the time since people got used to it being a passive ability that cost practically no energy.  DE **** the bed just like with Miasma on that one. 

Apparently the damage contribution of WoF is also irrelevant; if I try to claim otherwise I get attacked for trying to use "paper DPS," even though detractors are oversimplifying things to "because enemy levels scale up, flat damage abilities are irrelevant."

1 hour ago, (PS4)UltraKardas said:

(Hey Panda, nice to see you again.) 

Wsup, dude.

7 hours ago, (PS4)Kairu_Aname said:

Giving it more cost reduces ways to play with it. That's just a fact and should never be suggested because that's lazy changes and does nothing for the frame other than hurt it directly. 

Turning it off for an added effect. That's a good idea. That should have been what they did

If the cost doesn't increase over time, people will just leave it on indefinitely and ignore the "end effect," or toggle off very occasionally.  That would defeat the purpose of trying to make it a more interactive ability.  

My idea is to make it get stronger over time but with more energy cost like we have now, but to reward the player for putting up with that with a big explosion or something at the end, maybe with some buff effects (also possibly an energy refund from each enemy killed by the explosion?)  A new passive that plays well with these effects is also essential, IMO.  

Edited by RealPandemonium

On 2018-08-15 at 3:49 PM, Hypernaut1 said:

Her ONLY Nerf is that you need to recast WoF. Other than that, she got at least 2 buffs. 

That is the impression you get after reading patchnotes, it is not that simple in reality though.

7 hours ago, Hypernaut1 said:

It never was godly CC, it was enough to keep her alive and was better at doing so in the past. Where did you get your info on just one enemy?

7 hours ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Energy isn't even that much of an issue. You simply recast. SIMPLY. RECAST.

In addition to already doubled channeling costs, with repeated casts you are also taxed with reoccuring activation costs, which will add up. It is not that simple.

12 hours ago, RealPandemonium said:

The aim should be to eliminate WoF as a passive ability and give players multiple ways to play with it.

I understand your demands, but why this ability. There are plenty of "press and forgett" skills in the game

18 hours ago, RealPandemonium said:

Still works decently at sortie level. With accelerant it can still kill off mooks decently and keep most enemies within 20m on there butts. When combined with powerful weapons to kill the heavy armor guys you hardly get shot at most of the time. I tried it to see if it could work at sortie level and yeah it did work. I never really liked it much I used the more balanced 145% range 150% or so str and eff. I found it to be the perfect balance between range damage and CC distance. Like everyone has been saying Firequake is much cheaper CC then spamming accelerant every 2 -3 seconds. Not only because it kills people too along with your weapon.

On 2018-08-15 at 5:19 AM, felixsylvaris said:

I used some heavy ironny. You can still run with Overextend Ember,

Of course you can run the cheesebuold thtough overextended but that doesnt fix the nerf, it just acts as a bandaid to a wound which has not healed.

vor 29 Minuten schrieb Aegni:

Of course you can run the cheesebuold thtough overextended but that doesnt fix the nerf, it just acts as a bandaid to a wound which has not healed.

Except that the nerf was actually balancing cause nothing in this game stunlock Cc's on the range, efficiency, utility and damage it did.