Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dear DE... Why defense and not defence?

(PSN)KingGuy420

3 hours ago, FlusteredFerret said:

Thought this might help those struggling with British and US English differences... 

https://www.thoughtco.com/american-english-to-british-english-4010264

When you go through the whole list, its almost like they're different languages! :laugh:

I’m from Georgia (USA state), and we actually use quite a bit of some of those “British” terms interchangeably with the “American” terms.  For example, while I’ve heard “someplace” often, I’m quite sure we use “somewhere” more often than that.  Also, we say “taxi,” not “cab” generally, and I’ve heard “curtain,” “condom,” “graduate,” and “luggage” far more commonly than the alternatives.

Il y a 21 heures, (XB1)motionROTATION a dit :

The English language has assimilated many foreign words

To be correct, english is only made of foreign words. As almost all the languages in the world except very very few examples (Euskara/basque, Korean and some local languages).

So defense or defence are both correct as they are deformation of older words that were used before. And english is a bloody mess of a language so all spelling are true as they are all false.

5 minutes ago, Ouinpis said:

anglo VS franc

Frenglish or Englais? :laugh:

The truth is that all languages evolve over time, to reflect the needs of those who speak them, encompassing cultural, social, political and technological developments. So there's no point being too precious or snobbish about spellings or pronunciations.

And English, being one of, if not THE, most widely-spoken language (also being the de facto language for international business and air traffic control), is obviously going to be subject to more changes than most.

The other reason they may use the American spelling is because our population is double that of Canada, Great Britain and France combined. So more people may actually spell it, “defense” irregardless or its origins. More people means more sales, cater to your biggest audience is always a good business model.

2 hours ago, (PS4)Herrwann69 said:

Far from true.

Globish is spoken a lot, english not so much.

That makes no sense.

Globish is really just English with some minor changes and idiosyncrasies depending on who is speaking it and where it is spoken.

There are, in my opinion, 4 (maybe 5) truly global, world languages. 

They are;

English (obvious, and takes account of regional accents, U.S, Aus/NZ etc...as well as British isles)

Cantonese/Mandarin (over a billion Chinese)

Arabic (spread by Islam and retained because of the belief it is best when learning the Qu'ran to use Arabic)

with

Spanish (Latin America and Spain itself)

or

French (Many African countries, parts of Canada, and of course, France)

as the 4th or 5th.

I feel this is fairly accurate.

Edited by (PS4)RhinoCharging00

13 minutes ago, (PS4)Kamranos said:

The other reason they may use the American spelling is because our population is double that of Canada, Great Britain and France combined. So more people may actually spell it, “defense” irregardless or its origins. More people means more sales, cater to your biggest audience is always a good business model.

If things continue as they are America will effectively become a bi-lingual society in the next 25 years, such is the growth of the Hispanic population and their preference for the use of Spanish.

I understand many government agencies have bi-lingual phone operators, use both for internal documents etc...

Just now, (PS4)RhinoCharging00 said:

If things continue as they are America will effectively become a bi-lingual society in the next 25 years, such is the growth of the Hispanic population and their preference for the use of Spanish.

I understand many government agencies have bi-lingual phone operators, use both for internal documents etc...

The Spanish speaking population is nowhere near as large and some would think. Yes we have multi language options on phones and on products simply because we understand that some people speak other languages and want to be able to communicate. Because what are we, animals...or Quebecois? 

Having delt with the government in many settings, I can tell you the US government operates in English and naturalized citizenship requires at least basic English competence.

18 hours ago, FlusteredFerret said:

Thought this might help those struggling with British and US English differences... 

https://www.thoughtco.com/american-english-to-british-english-4010264

When you go through the whole list, its almost like they're different languages! :laugh:

We lived in the US for a few years. My then young son cracked-up his class when he asked his teacher whether she had a rubber he could use - how was he to know he should have asked for an eraser...? I also got strange looks when I told him to make sure he stayed walking on the pavement (in the UK that's the sidewalk, not the road as it is in the US).

1 hour ago, (PS4)Kamranos said:

The Spanish speaking population is nowhere near as large and some would think. Yes we have multi language options on phones and on products simply because we understand that some people speak other languages and want to be able to communicate. Because what are we, animals...or Quebecois? 

Having delt with the government in many settings, I can tell you the US government operates in English and naturalized citizenship requires at least basic English competence.

Oh, I know it's not there yet.

That's why I said "if" things continue as they are, and the relaxed acceptance of Spanish (instead of requiring English: no exceptions) is allowed to continue, then it may well be a bi-lingual society in another 20-30 years.

Who knows, with the way language evolves we may see, if not widely used in written form, a genuine "Spanglish" which sees the two fuse.

Or maybe the English speakers will introduce increasing numbers of Spanish words into their daily vocabulary, and the Spanish speakers will do the same with English, but it won't go as far as becoming a distinct language...and may actually end up creating two new dialects. 

2 hours ago, (PS4)Herrwann69 said:

Far from true.

Globish is spoken a lot, english not so much.

Never heard of it.

1 hour ago, (PS4)RhinoCharging00 said:

That makes no sense.

Globish is really just English with some minor changes and idiosyncrasies depending on who is speaking it and where it is spoken.

There are, in my opinion, 4 (maybe 5) truly global, world languages. 

They are;

English (obvious, and takes account of regional accents, U.S, Aus/NZ etc...as well as British isles)

Cantonese/Mandarin (over a billion Chinese)

Arabic (spread by Islam and retained because of the belief it is best when learning the Qu'ran to use Arabic)

with

Spanish (Latin America and Spain itself)

or

French (Many African countries, parts of Canada, and of course, France)

as the 4th or 5th.

I feel this is fairly accurate.

This is more or less what I was getting at.

Also taking into account that English is also widely used in the global business community...as I said before, one of the most-spoken languages (if not THE most widely used).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dorieclark/2012/10/26/english-the-language-of-global-business/#7fab1390b57e

English is also the standard language for airline pilots and air traffic control.

http://www.aviation-esl.com/ICAO_English.htm

20 minutes ago, Am0rph15 said:

We lived in the US for a few years. My then young son cracked-up his class when he asked his teacher whether she had a rubber he could use - how was he to know he should have asked for an eraser...? I also got strange looks when I told him to make sure he stayed walking on the pavement (in the UK that's the sidewalk, not the road as it is in the US).

Imagine if he said he his Dad sneaks out of the house at night to enjoy a "word it won't let my put which is what we Brits call a cigarette".

4 minutes ago, (PS4)RhinoCharging00 said:

Imagine if he said he his Dad sneaks out of the house at night to enjoy a %&^?

6 minutes ago, FlusteredFerret said:

Never heard of it.

This is more or less what I was getting at.

Also taking into account that English is also widely used in the global business community...as I said before, one of the most-spoken languages (if not THE most widely used).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dorieclark/2012/10/26/english-the-language-of-global-business/#7fab1390b57e

English is also the standard language for airline pilots and air traffic control.

http://www.aviation-esl.com/ICAO_English.htm

Isn't English used in maritime situations as well as air travel?

You are right that the global language of business is English, as it is in a cultural sense.

American movies, British and American pop bands, and both countries sports, have spread to every corner of the globe too.

Defense is now the American spelling, it is not American in origin. The OED and Google Books reveal examples of the spelling from as long ago as the 1300s, many centuries before the United States existed

Personaly, being from Romania so not native english speaker, I always used 'defense' 'defensive' same as 'ofense' 'ofensive', simply because with 'fence' having the meaning it has, it didn't sound right. 'defence' a fence + de in front didn't sound right, I dunnno. :)

1 hour ago, Arniox said:

That's not a good thing...

Losing, or lacking proper spelling across an entire country is pretty bad...

When the major of English speakers spell it “defense” that becomes its proper spelling. US doesn’t spell it improperly, just other countries haven’t caught up yet. Come talk about who is doing it wrong when the US doesn’t have double the population of Great Britain, Canada and France combined.

Edited by (PS4)Kamranos