Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma needs a rework

Aleksi134

Having just gotten him to 30 and Potatoed him and run him in a few hours worth of missions...

He's REALLY close to being fantastic.  REALLY close.  I love him a whole bunch, but he's missing just a tiiiiiny little something to set him apart.

I would LOVE a "world on Fire" style upgrade to his (1) where it ramps up in damage, but also in energy cost would solve the low damage problem while not making it a "set and forget".  Or it could let you use a weapon.  I don't care if if's secondary only or even melee only, or if there's some other situational limitation, I'd just like a little more oomph to it in some way.  This is really my only big issue with him.  He's a wonderful tanky spellcaster, but the damage on this ability kind of falls flat a little too quick in most missions.

So...Either a damage ramp up, or being able to charge it for higher damage but higher energy drain would be wonderful.

His (2) and (3) are pretty fine.

His (4)....I'm kinda torn on.  On one hand, it's cool as hek.  On the other hand, I don't know if it has enough oomph for the energy drain that it has.  I think I'd rather have it be a fixed duration that you can toggle off in case you need the extra tankyness immediately, or have it do the stun shockwave more frequently to act as CC, or just have greater aggro in general.  I'll be honest, I'm not sure what really needs to be done with it, but it's another ability that's really close to being perfect.  (Mind you, having ONE extra Mod Slot exclusively for Warframe Ability Mods would mostly solve my issues with this, and a lot of other frames)

And his passive, IMO, can be "fixed" if you guys want by just making it increase the damage of all allied matching elemental attacks in Affinity range by 5-10%..  I don't mind it mostly being there to change his element, personally, but I get the complaints

Edited by AegixDrakan

im still praying for that rework that makes chroma more actively fun, half his kit is meh, or outright terrible and actively hindering you when using it (press 1 to nerf your own dps)

i really wanna see him nearly completely overhauled, ive posted my ideas multiple times and i wont bother posting them again but i just built his prime after passively obtaining it, and its still such a boring frame to play for me, he could be so damn cool but meh, what a waste of a concept.

PLEASE REWORK CHROMA! can DE set up a go fund me for a chroma rework or something? i bet people would pay in!

Make Dragons Fun Again!

• Like 1

So Chroma obviously needs a 1 and 4 rework with 2 and 3 needing extra range added.

Ideas for the 1:-- So I think for Dragon philosophy sake a sort of shout, roar, and hell even a bloody kazoo whistle would be better than the current one. Now from Dragon lore I've studied, I've got a few ideas for what could be put instead. 

--Obnoxious Anger(name subject to change) "Chroma shouts so loud that he needs a rework, that he taunts all enemies to attack him because they don't want the rework to happen--basically a taunt shout would be cool, or whatever, you know some 8min38sec survival runner is gonna shoot this whole thread down.

--Ancient Vigor(I like this one) "Chroma roars with undeniable power causing increased stats(depends which elements he's in) Its a shout that buffs allies and himself. Fire=Increased Ability Power--Ice=Increased Efficiency or whatever--Poison= Increased Durations or could apply a debuff to enemies--Lightning= I really don't but I'm sure you fine people could help me out.

--Spectral Scream 2.0== Buff this damn shout and update the graphics for it cause going solo for 40min is only fun the first few times then you realise there more to life than going solo for 40min.

--Dragon Pulse== Like some elder scrolls dragon bourne shout that rag dolls the S#&$ out of enemies. FOS MO DON

Lets continue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 4 is obviously a good concept and I will give a giant orb to one who thought of it but that aside. 

First thing is I would keep the 4, but it needs serious upgrades and I know a guy who would work for DE and get paid stickers.

I think the 4 should follow you around and be way more active. Like if you use 4 then whenever Chroma uses an ability, the effigy uses it as well(hell it could cost energy every time the effigy uses an ability or like the longer its out it get more powerful and energy costly) And if you give this guy I know two stickers, he might able to make it to where the effigy does different things depending on the energy color). 

All in all it is a DE and community effort.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now the 2 and 3 are really good but need like a 20meter range to be really good. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So let me know what you peoples think, probably best we use our inside voices on this one.

--Dreamersclaw--Draconic Influence

Edited by Dreamersclaw
Pancakes
  • Like 2

On 2018-11-17 at 10:53 AM, Dark_Chroma_Prime said:

55 pages full of chroma reworks and feedback, still no answer from DE....

Has somebody of DE or even the forum mods read through this?

Sorry fellow tenno.  Not letting this thread fade away that easy.

@Dark_Chroma_Prime I was wondering the same thing myself.  Seems like Chroma got swept under the rug again.  *drags him back out*

Spoiler

not on my watch  >8|

DE,
Would someone possibly have a moment to fill in the community on why Chroma is acceptable and functional in his current state as to warrant zero reworks/adjustments/qol changes in the future?  We have quite the thread from your passionate player base that's taken the time to give a plethora of feedback and some frankly amazing and well thought out ideas.  Even a small bit of clarity on the matter would go a long way if nothing else. 
Thank you for your consideration
-Passionate Player

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Conflux59 said:

Sorry fellow tenno.  Not letting this thread fade away that easy.

@Dark_Chroma_Prime I was wondering the same thing myself.  Seems like Chroma got swept under the rug again.  *drags him back out*

Hide contents

not on my watch  >8|

DE,
Would someone possibly have a moment to fill in the community on why Chroma is acceptable and functional in his current state as to warrant zero reworks/adjustments/qol changes in the future?  We have quite the thread from your passionate player base that's taken the time to give a plethora of feedback and some frankly amazing and well thought out ideas.  Even a small bit of clarity on the matter would go a long way if nothing else. 
Thank you for your consideration
-Passionate Player

well its mostly due to them looking at that chart that shows how much a frame is frequently used in warframe as their focuses are at the lest used frames. and most of these fedbacks are mostly focused on wanting one particular thing that i was beginning to think of a way to properly work into my rework ideas. and that has to do with color change. 

i will tell way color change is needed for chroma's kit but first an example. what is the first thing you do when you pop in a insistence of a team or conclave ? you attempt you figure out how to fight or work with your your teammate or foe. so the first thing you do is try to get a glimpse  as to what your ally is using. your primary focus is "ok i joined a public instance of a mission so what am i partnered with?" so what helps a player tell what their teammates are using? that explains why each frame is so visibly different as since nidus and saryn looks so different since on is female and the other is male.

so now tell me what do you think when looking at chroma? since as many players have said before he is essentially 4 frames in 1 with his element of choice changing how most of his abilities work. so how do you tell if chroma is set for ice or fire? thats where i am guessing DE had to work the color gimmick for chroma rather then just having him have the ability to switch elements  or the ability to choose which element without an outward indicator at all. so in other words chroma is just frame that is both complex and simple at the same time. he has  a pelt that acts like a turret for his fourth, his buff increases his armor and damage based on damage to his health and shields, he has elemental ward that either boosts his health, shields, armor, and reload depending on which element he uses. so in a sense he has a lot more options in play style he has but something need to give in order for his kit to work. 

so in a sense wanting elemental swapping or the freedom to choose which element separate of energy color is like saying you want to eat your cake and have it too.

Edited by maddragonmaster

Well first of all you need to organize the post, its a little confusing to understand what your trying to say and were to changes should go.

I do like the idea of the dragon skin following you around. tough i would prefer it to stay the way it is but give us more control over it like prssing the 4 Key orders the dragon to fly were your aiming? something like that.

Well the thing is, DE said they were planning new AI programming. I do side work for DE as a consultant and my in game account has special privileges to test curtain parts of the game whether to implement to other players or to make testing live in game easier. Now I've been working on AI behavior and have given a few notes on game play for veterans and playtest the weapons and frames. Now from what I hear, DE is having some internal issues with some staff(not everyone, just a few people there who don't take this job seriously and slowing and weakening moral values of the company which is what is causing all these crazy changes, adding new things, and not focusing on systems already there and fixing them) and because of a back-log system they are using of mine, they found out who has not been giving Warframe the respect is deserves. 

Now usually I'm not one to talk the company staff and the company. But I am seeing all across youtube that warframe is getting better, but theres no content to veterans. So, I personally talked to some of the staff and gave my opinion on what to do. But I'm off topic, were in Warframe forums. But to Biz.

Yeah, the Effigy seem ok for now. I'd much rather focus on the 1. Like it could give different buffs depending on the chosen element(Invigoring shout). but the taunt shout seems good to.

But the effigy which I really want to keep, just needs some AI changes and a graphics update. 

Edited by Dreamersclaw
That trifullying, really-I'm trying to get back to the dream.

23 hours ago, XenMaster said:

So 4th just make Effigy a pet? One problem, AI Pathing problem. Atleast make the effigy invulnerable since its CC is irregular.

The effigy really need AI improvement and graphics update. Should be able to do different things depending on your element choice.

On ‎2018‎-‎11‎-‎22 at 10:34 PM, The_Sharp_Demonologist said:

Well first of all you need to organize the post, its a little confusing to understand what your trying to say and were to changes should go.

I do like the idea of the dragon skin following you around. tough i would prefer it to stay the way it is but give us more control over it like prssing the 4 Key orders the dragon to fly were your aiming? something like that.

Yeah I was battling a mesmerist/median while trying to type that and that type of speech pisses him off. Anyway, the 1 ability has a LOT of potential and I stated some ideas. I really like different buffs chroma could give but also the taunt is really. MAYBE the taunt could be the ice ability(thanks Asian lady).

I need a raise. 

Chroma is still one of the only frames that hasn't been touched, besides the poe vex adjustment which was only fixing a mistake.  If he's not on the list of reworks currently, which I have yet to see his name come up in anything official, it's pretty obvious they're not going to touch him anytime soon.  DE wont even bother commenting on the 55 page mega thread.  They haven't mentioned him other than "being aware of the desire for reworks, and nothing is planned" from a while back.  Apparently he's in an acceptable place to them.
...which is madness

I've pretty much given up on Chroma getting any qol changes.  They barely showed his prime off (it was about 90% K-drives and 5% black syandana)
As far as DE is concerned, "Chroma" is the forbidden word.  We don't speak his name

Edited by Conflux59

12 hours ago, Conflux59 said:

Chroma is still one of the only frames that hasn't been touched, besides the poe vex adjustment which was only fixing a mistake.  If he's not on the list of reworks currently, which I have yet to see his name come up in anything official, it's pretty obvious they're not going to touch him anytime soon.  DE wont even bother commenting on the 55 page mega thread.  They haven't mentioned him other than "being aware of the desire for reworks, and nothing is planned" from a while back.  Apparently he's in an acceptable place to them.
...which is madness

I've pretty much given up on Chroma getting any qol changes.  They barely showed his prime off (it was about 90% K-drives and 5% black syandana)
As far as DE is concerned, "Chroma" is the forbidden word.  We don't speak his name

I mean they're not going to fix something right away, they are a small team and a LOT of people are asking for changes in so many different things. Patients is a virtue and I give DE mine. As I said I do consulting work for them and my account test new updates in the game on live servers, so I help when I can, they are ultimately the ones who implement those changes to the rest of the player base. I test as much as possible when I can. 

I've been working on testing how to add new tilesets in current maps because players asked for new zones to fight in. Everything is working 100% from my end. I've been updating the warframes as best as I can and giving feedback on there abilities and how stats scale. Also asking veterans what their ideas are. So progress is being made and DE is showing me some love for what I'm doing to help. 

Also CHROMA CHROMA CHROMA!!!!! The JRAGON PRINCESS!!!!

My problem with Chroma is really just how boring his gameplay always is.  Like you basically just play him to get benefits.  As the best parts of his kit come from being shot.  And you can't maintain these abilities either which hurts.  Not to mention his 4 is basically just for credit farming.  I think he needs a new passive entirely.  As he'd be a lot better being able to bring all effects in a mission.  But trying to build that in without quiver style ability seems difficult.  Not to mention I don't really want another quiver ability.

His 1 is "ok" now that it's basically just stream of power while you move.  But it's still boring imo.  I've never been a fan of his 4 conceptually either.  like the attractive thing about Chroma is that he's a dragon.  So what does his 4 do?  remove the dragon and takes half of your defenses with him for your troubles.  Personally I just want a new kit all together around the dragon theme.  If they don't want to do that with chroma then another frame.  This current kit isn't salvagable.  it's boring.  It's non interactive.  it's not good.

4 hours ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

My problem with Chroma is really just how boring his gameplay always is.  Like you basically just play him to get benefits.  As the best parts of his kit come from being shot.  And you can't maintain these abilities either which hurts.  Not to mention his 4 is basically just for credit farming.  I think he needs a new passive entirely.  As he'd be a lot better being able to bring all effects in a mission.  But trying to build that in without quiver style ability seems difficult.  Not to mention I don't really want another quiver ability.

His 1 is "ok" now that it's basically just stream of power while you move.  But it's still boring imo.  I've never been a fan of his 4 conceptually either.  like the attractive thing about Chroma is that he's a dragon.  So what does his 4 do?  remove the dragon and takes half of your defenses with him for your troubles.  Personally I just want a new kit all together around the dragon theme.  If they don't want to do that with chroma then another frame.  This current kit isn't salvagable.  it's boring.  It's non interactive.  it's not good.

Well they changed it so the vex armor can be recast while still up, idk, maybe he could be like a buff your teammates frame. Hmm, yes I do agree he could be doing a lot better.

13 hours ago, Dreamersclaw said:

Well they changed it so the vex armor can be recast while still up, idk, maybe he could be like a buff your teammates frame. Hmm, yes I do agree he could be doing a lot better.

I forgot they did that.  Though I think his other ability still can't be refreshed.  Anyway my over arching point still stands imo.  He's boring and his kit doesn't really inspire "dragon" to me.  I am sorry that my reply is not very helpful.  I'm not super well versed with chroma.  So i'm not entirely sure what would make him work.  That's why I made my feedback generalistic.

35 minutes ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

I forgot they did that.  Though I think his other ability still can't be refreshed.  Anyway my over arching point still stands imo.  He's boring and his kit doesn't really inspire "dragon" to me.  I am sorry that my reply is not very helpful.  I'm not super well versed with chroma.  So i'm not entirely sure what would make him work.  That's why I made my feedback generalistic.

I agree, I've only used him for solo and to solo the eidilons, I mean he's boring in team fights because others just one shot everything around him, BUT I did get a fack ton of arcane relics doing like 10 eidilons run every night cycle before the nerf, my girl friend saw what I was doing and made me stream the solo kills and send the footage to DE. O WELL FACKL TON OF ARCANES WERE WORTH IT!!!!

But yes, that's why I made this post because. You see...you say hes boring...but he was the solo king...see...a solo style warframe and hes a dragon, I think he fits the "dragon" pretty well, at least old lore of them.

But yes he needs a rework.

Hi guys!

I can't say I'm entirely new to the game because I played Warframe back in 2014 and I just didn't really get as invested as I am right now. Everything's been great so far apart from 1 thing, Chroma. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who sees his gameplay as "boring". He's visually and audibly amazing but his ability effects and passive ability are quite disappointing. I think 2 & 4 are the only abilities I'd want him to keep if he were to get a rework.

I thought I'd also take a swing at it knowing full well it will probably never happen.😁  

Changes:

Passive (Revised)

Exhaust - Expending energy below 15% of his total energy provides Chroma with a substantial Armour increase for a duration.

Spectral Scream (Revised)

Chroma unleashes an elemental blast of energy that inflicts 300 elemental damage on impact. Depending on the element selected, different effects are applied.   

• Fire Blast explodes on impact dealing 120 splash damage with a 5m blast radius and knocks back targets. Targets take additional burn damage. 
  • Ice Blast creates an area of ice on impact that slows and eventually freezes enemies. 
  • Electric blast passes through enemies, stunning them as it passes.
  • Toxin Blast explodes on impact, casting toxin on all enemies within 8m of the target for a duration. Targets take 50 toxin damage every 3s. 

Vex Armor (Revised)

Vex Armor allows Chroma to absorb damage as energy. When energy is full whilst Vex armor is active, Chroma takes damage normally but is also given a weapon damage boost of 300% 

Effigy (Revised)

Activating Elemental ward whilst Effigy is active causes Chroma's pelt to use the ability instead with a radius of 10m.

19 minutes ago, Vandal-Vortex said:

Hi guys!

I can't say I'm entirely new to the game because I played Warframe back in 2014 and I just didn't really get as invested as I am right now. Everything's been great so far apart from 1 thing, Chroma. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who sees his gameplay as "boring". He's visually and audibly amazing but his ability effects and passive ability are quite disappointing. I think 2 & 4 are the only abilities I'd want him to keep if he were to get a rework.

I thought I'd also take a swing at it knowing full well it will probably never happen.😁  

Changes:

Passive (Revised)

Exhaust - Expending energy below 15% of his total energy provides Chroma with a substantial Armour increase for a duration.

Spectral Scream (Revised)

Chroma unleashes an elemental blast of energy that inflicts 300 elemental damage on impact. Depending on the element selected, different effects are applied.   

• Fire Blast explodes on impact dealing 120 splash damage with a 5m blast radius and knocks back targets. Targets take additional burn damage. 
  • Ice Blast creates an area of ice on impact that slows and eventually freezes enemies. 
  • Electric blast passes through enemies, stunning them as it passes.
  • Toxin Blast explodes on impact, casting toxin on all enemies within 8m of the target for a duration. Targets take 50 toxin damage every 3s. 

Vex Armor (Revised)

Vex Armor allows Chroma to absorb damage as energy. When energy is full whilst Vex armor is active, Chroma takes damage normally but is also given a weapon damage boost of 300% 

Effigy (Revised)

Activating Elemental ward whilst Effigy is active causes Chroma's pelt to use the ability instead with a radius of 10m.

I love the vex armor and passive change you have, but (my opinion) I like effigy the way it is, just needs graphic and tech update, like it could taunt enemies or something. The way you could use vex armor and spam the 1 would be really cool. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dreamersclaw said:

I love the vex armor and passive change you have, but (my opinion) I like effigy the way it is, just needs graphic and tech update, like it could taunt enemies or something. The way you could use vex armor and spam the 1 would be really cool. 

effigy has high threat prioity. it doesnt need to taunt. using it is like using molt or decoy. for me effigy costs too much energy. it already has a health bar so either they should remove the drain or make it duration based. spectral scream can be made into sort of an opticor blast beam (no charge mechanic i hate them).