Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Nidus good?

BERNT3

Question

I just randomly got his parts BP After doing a few runs on Ostreus when i unlocked the eris, I've seen people say that he's bad with armored enemies, Ancients and nullifier enemies, Doesn't that mean that he's kinda bad on every enemy factions?, I currently use inaros and a random unranked ceramic dagger with only Covert lethality and nothing else, Works pretty fine for me, They say that Grineers can be easily killed if you had a Corrosive Ranged weapon, But i'm a melee person, Completely ignoring Mods for rifles/pistols/Shotguns, Is nidus as effective and good with melee? and is he worth Selling nezha?

12 answers to this question

Nidus is extremely strong if you manage to cultivate his playstyle. Basically, if you are using Nidus you want to spam his powers as much as you can - by using his first powers you accumulate "evolution stacks" (or whatever they're called) - which make you stronger and allow you to cast his other powers (which consume stacks).

Is he bad against nullifiers? Well, Nidus works by spamming powers. Bring a weapon to burst nullifier bubbles.

Is he bad against Ancients? He's fine. Nidus' powers are very CC in nature, and Ancients will prevent CC. Bring a weapon with Radiation - whatever enemy you hit, the Ancient will absorb the Radiation proc, and his aura will stop being effective on the nearby enemies. At that point you can murder them happily with your powers.

Is he bad against armor? No, although he doesn't have any particular bonus.

Is he good with melee? Not particularly. Nidus works best without weapons.

Is he worth selling Nezha? Nidus is worth the 20 plats for a slot, like any warframe.

Edited by Dhrekr
As noted, it is 20 plats and not 12.

if u want a melee only warframe, switch ur inaros for a defy wukong ( arcane grace optional  for qol) stick to ur covert lethality, but with the stiging thorn stance and a lot of attack speed. 

btw, with the rework, nezha is a great support off tank warframe with a lot of synergy .

Edited by affropiaf

23 minutes ago, LarryYourWaiter said:

You’re melee only using a dagger with covert lethality and Inaros?  How long does it take you to do missions?!

No, I mean, For survival missions and exterminations, Any missions that i can't do without getting too much damaged, I use other frames like, Limbo for spy missions, Octavia for Defense and sometimes survival, I also have a Lesion and i need more ostron standing to build a Plague Bokwin + Kripath zaw with Ekwana II Jai (Which btw, I'm probably too early to build and use), I use lesion or broken war for Any missions against infested since it's not possible for me to do finishers on them except the leaper and the orange human shaped infested enemy

I said i currently use Dagger + Covert lethality since i don't have anything else to do so i run survival missions 

I’m never a fan of this type of question for one main reason, we all have our own definition of good and fun. My thought with all warframes are, get them, try them in multiple situations and then make an educated opinion on them. While this community is largely helpful, questions as vague as the OP can inadvertently steer a player away from a play style they might actually enjoy.

That being said, Nidus is totally worth the 20p slot. Nezha and Nidus both have different play styles. Nidus is great for defense and survival as he offers a lot of crowd control and stacking damage. I have used him on just about every type of mission besides spy and found him fun to use. 

Edited by (PS4)Kamranos

Nidus is a very versatile warframe.

All of his abilities is useful and provide him with damage, buff himself/others, CC and heal. And 15 stacks make him death-proof.

What else ? 🙂

He need time to build up stacks so he shine in long run missions.

But not only. He dont have shield and have a innate regen.

No shields= more slots for mods and some cool builds. You can stuff a entire gladiator set on him and his melee weapon without problem.

It's a nice melee boost.

Oh, a nighmare noshield mission. No problemo !

He is energy autonomous with a hunter adrenaline and all mods and arcane with trigger-on-damage-to-health work fine with him.

That make some builds very tanky.

Honestly, i love my Nidus.

Primary i focus on 2 builds : one maxing his abilities for long missions and one based on max survivability and using weapons to deal damage.

It's a fun to play warframe, well balanced with good abilities synergies and usefull in most missions.

You can stand by yourself in most situations and you can support others without annoying them.

Maybe not the best in all domains but a good jack-of-all trades for me.

So a solid warframe without being OP or nobrain.

One minor issue is his speed but you can be used to it or compensate with Armored Agility mod.

All this is just my opinion...

Révélation

Whispers....take the Nidus..... Nidus is good..... You need Nidus....Whispers...

Nidus is by far my second best frame (first is my Saryn with a beast modding) you can mod him for all the missions (not stealth though) he can do a polymer bundle farm or whatever with very good but you need his 2 low duration high range build and no need damage I pulled them for 2 sec and a long range and they fall into the tentacles by hydroid and it was flawless

He is good at hijack cause instead of using shields it use your health and you have a 120 HP regen (if I'm not mistaken) and with his four not yet modded I think is a 20-40 HP regen and it is very strong cause it also generates minions (I forgot what they are called) and they help you kill and you get stacks for them

And Nidus is the best at survival cause his two pulls enemies to the place you place and you use his one to get stacks and you have a I think 70% damage reduction (90% max after modding) and you only need one stack and also his fourth heals your team and summons minnions to distract enemies and kill them and also the more stacks you have the more damage your 1 do and it reaches a very very very high damage number and his passive is when your health is at 0 it will consume 15 stacks and your back to half hp and invulnerable for a time which is very helpful

And also one tip use umbra mods for him when you want survivability and also use rage it is a mod that give you energy big time cause you don't have shields and so you get energy every time you take damage

Nidus is great. Though I may be biased, as he's easily my favorite frame.

First thing first: Nidus is at his absolute best in longer missions where he can hunker down and hold a specific position. At no point will I ever deny that. However, the (apparently common) belief that this makes him worse at faster missions like Exterminate and Capture is just wrong. His high Health and Armor, as well as his built-in Health Regen, actually make him great at these missions, as he can blitz through them with much less worry about his survival than most other Frames.

As for his Stack mechanic, if you hit (not kill; just hit) an enemy with one of his abilities, you get a point. Two enemies hit with one ability gets you two points. Five points gets you 1 Mutation Stack. The damage of Nidus' damaging abilities is multiplied by the number of Stacks he has plus 1. One Stack doubles his damage, two triples it, etc.

Stacks are also great defensively: when you have at least 15 Stacks and take fatal damage, you are instead healed to half Health and become invulnerable for 5 seconds. However, you lose those 15 Stacks, so you lose a lot of damage.

Important to know: never, ever hoard Stacks to try to get Undying. I've done far better using 4 Stacks as soon as I get them than I ever have waiting for 15. Undying is something that happens to build up as you play, not something you specifically work towards.

Virulence deals damage in a straight line in front of Nidus, and extends forward until it either hits it's max range, or something it can't go through. It cannot be recast until it hits that max range,  though, so it's got a bit of a love/hate relationship with Power Range.

Virulence also refunds 25% of the Energy used to cast it per enemy hit. Some people will say that you shouldn't boost Efficiency to take advantage of this, but that's wrong. While the actual amount of Energy decreases with higher Efficiency, the cost of his abilities decreases as well, so it doesn't matter how much Efficiency you actually have.

Larva is a hard CC, which makes it awesome. It's only drawback is that it can't be cast again while it's still active, but the Augment gives that functionality if you're willing to give up the slot. Oh, and the Augment inflicts damage, too, which is a nice bonus.

Parasitic Link costs one stack, and allows you to link to another target. Linking to an ally gives you and that ally more Power Strength, and because your ally can still move while it's active, you can use it in quicker missions. Linking to an enemy is a hard CC on that enemy, and a portion of the damage Nidus receives is redirected to the linked enemy. At 180% Power Strength (if I remember correctly), the amount of damage transferred to the linked enemy becomes 90%, so linking to an enemy effectively gives Nidus 90% damage reduction. However, the Enemy can't move, so you're stuck within a certain range of them if you want to keep the effect active.

No matter who you Link to, casting Virulence while you're Linked causes a second Virulence to spawn from the other member of the Link towards your crosshairs. If both of them hit the same enemy, you get two points towards a Mutation Stack instead of one.

Ravenous costs 3 Stacks, and creates a zone (unaffected by Range) which causes allies to heal constantly while in the area. It also starts spawning maggots that seek out enemies and hard CC them. In addition, hitting these maggots with Virulence causes them to explode, dealing damage in an area. This also generates Stacks for both the maggots exploding and the hit(s) from Virulence, so it helps accelerate Stack generation.

Nidus' biggest weakness is Armor. At Starchart levels he does fine, but you'll see a definite drop in damage output in Sortie-level content and beyond. This is because his main damage dealer (Virulence) is just damage (the wiki doesn't list a type for it). Because of this, it doesn't receive any bonuses to counter the massive damage reduction Armor provides in higher level content. Having a weapon on hand that can strip Armor for tougher content will be a big help.

Overall, I find Nidus is a great Caster Frame, but if I had to pick the thing I like the most, it's that he's also naturally tanky. I'm not as good about watching cooldowns as I should be, so it's nice to be able to take a hit or two without evaporating because I forgot about my cooldowns.

Is it worth?
Short anwsers: Yes

Long  answers: Hell yeah! 😄

I love my Nidus, probably the funniest warframe i ever played; someone told me on this forum to build for range and a bit strenght, keep efficiency low and use remaining slots for upping armor and health. And hell yeah that's funny and worth.
I bought it on market with platinum last easter because i hade a 75% discount, and still i don't regret anything about it.

You need to be  accostumed to his playstyle, that is  using his 2 to CC a lot of people in a tight space and spam 1 to damage/destroy them while upping mutation stack that makes him invincible and exponentially increase damage from his 1. And if you feel there are too many people shooting in the area, his 3 make him almost invulnerable (up to 90% reduction on top of his armor-related reduction) and his 4 to regenerate and also accumulate faster mutation stack

I found him really good where you need CC like defense, mobile defense, interception; really good on survival too because is real tanky but for first stages (until you got 30+ mutation stack) you can found it's easier to camp around a life support. Not really good for exterminate and rescue or capture mission just because you need to collect mutation stacks before being effective and those missions are too quick-and-run to get enough of them.

I rarely use a weapon when i use Nidus and so i probably i'm just leveling them 🙂 i would advice to bring a weapon to fast destroy nullifier bubble, his worst enemy (because it remove mutation stacks and destroy umbilical link) In my build i use him with Orvius+Zakti dual wield and Ignis Wraith for primary; i build them with corrosive to remove armor from higher armor targets. Also having an AoE weapon is really good because with his 2 you CC many enemies on a tight space.

I found on the forum a build that use Umbral mods (and around 5-6 forma) to give him more than 80k equivalent HP (linked to an enemy and within his tentacle-grass-field) and i whanna try that too 🙂

As for many things in this game, it's a matter of liking. Many people like their oberon, i trashed it as soon as i hit lvl 30, just for you to know; i don't have Inaros and i trashed  my Nezha before rework so dunno if now is funnier or not. But sure Nidus is worth a warframe slot...

Edited by Kelpie77

He's a good melee only frame but you will need to mod him with adequate Power Range to allow yourself tether room with his 3rd ability. The reason he's good for melee is not because he's tanky however. It's because his 2nd ability can clump many enemies into one spot allowing each melee strike to hit the entire clump at once. He is a campy frame though so if you're looking for something to run through missions flailing swords you might want to pick something else.

You will also need to stick with weapons that have high reach both for striking distance and to knock down nullifier bubbles safety.

I would not say melee is his strongest loadout but it works better than most frames. One of his strongest loadouts is using Pox / Torrid to easily strip enemy armor with a Viral + Heat Zenistar to half enemy HP and add extra CC allowing his Virulence to do full damage to armor-less, half health enemies. I've pushed past lvl 400 Solo Grineer with this. He's quite strong either way, unless you're in a hurry.