Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

suggestion: require using a weapon to get higher ranks

xX-Kuro-Xx

I love this game. It's amazing... 

However, one thing that bothers me, is how easy it is to rank a weapon to 30 without ever using it.

I just equip junk weapons in slots i'm not using, go into group +XP missions, nuke things, and my junk weapons get leveled without ever selecting them.

I would much prefer it if I was forced to actually experience a weapon to master it... at least at the higher ranks. Even if the weapon is crap... playing with constraints is part of the fun of the game. 

I honestly think any system would be fine as long as a weapon would *never* reach mastery without me actually using it, and the mission results screen has some visuals to help me track what is going on with the weapon XP. 

Here are some ideas about how a different system could work:

1) at unranked a weapon could earn 100% of passive leech XP it qualified for. At rank 29 it would not earn any leech XP. (so all the XP to master it would have to come from kills using that weapon)

2) the amount of leech XP a weapon earns could be capped as a multiple of the direct XP it earns.. this multiple would start out very large and decrease at higher weapon ranks.

1 hour ago, xX-Kuro-Xx said:

I would much prefer it if I was forced to actually experience a weapon to master it... at least at the higher ranks. Even if the weapon is crap... playing with constraints is part of the fun of the game. 

Just no, nope and no thank you. I actually level most weapons by using them, but I don't want to be forced into doing so if I don't actually enjoy playing with that weapon. Maybe DE could add a bigger affinity bonus than there already is for using a weapon or maybe add a mod that would give extra affinity with kills on that weapon to encourage pepole to try the weapons.

On 2018-12-03 at 1:38 AM, xX-Kuro-Xx said:

I love this game. It's amazing... 

However, one thing that bothers me, is how easy it is to rank a weapon to 30 without ever using it.

I just equip junk weapons in slots i'm not using, go into group +XP missions, nuke things, and my junk weapons get leveled without ever selecting them.

I honestly think any system would be fine as long as a weapon would *never* reach mastery without me actually using it, and the mission results screen has some visuals to help me track what is going on with the weapon XP. 

Here are some ideas about how a different system could work:

1) at unranked a weapon could earn 100% of passive leech XP it qualified for. At rank 29 it would not earn any leech XP. (so all the XP to master it would have to come from kills using that weapon)

2) the amount of leech XP a weapon earns could be capped as a multiple of the direct XP it earns.. this multiple would start out very large and decrease at higher weapon ranks.

Thats a horrible idea. Try using an aklato or some other MR fodder gun and getting kills with it. Those guns are designed to be tossed when something more powerful is available. Rivens and reworks are made to couner this but its a bandage on a huge wound as certain guns a better than others. If you wanna play with constraints, force yourself to do it. Dont impose those on people who wont have it. The MR grind is rough as it is. 

Maybe put that as conditions to unveil the riven, is to actually use the weapon and kill a said quantity of enemies.
This might make more sense, you can level max a weapon, but leeching XP will get you punished when you never used it to kill anything
and lock down the riven for you.

Also, instead of having generic veiled rivens, just make them weapon specific but the stats will need to be unveiled.

What is the point of this "weapon content" if players just put it in a slot, ignore it, then vendor it when it hits mastery? Just to sell weapon slots to collectors for plat? If we don't have to use the weapons ever, I don't see why they are there.

Do you feel like other things the game makes you do like those pesky "objectives" and "riven unlocks" and everything else are just in the way too? In the way of what?

A game is about creating fun. And even though you all seem to want to get something for nothing, being forced to use a weapon to master it (even if it was just for lvl 29 to 30) would be a fun and worthwhile effort. Maybe it would require running some lower level content, instead of just going into a high level +XP grind and leeching. Buck up.

Edited by xX-Kuro-Xx

21 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

Hey, if you have good reasons why someone should use Stug over other weapons, I'd love to hear those.

Theres a difference between something being trash vs something has better alternatives.

The stug in itself can handle atleast sortie 2 but try to do the same without relying on frame powers and other tricks with the lato, tysis or the twin rogga.

4 hours ago, Ada_Wong_SG said:

Maybe put that as conditions to unveil the riven, is to actually use the weapon and kill a said quantity of enemies.
This might make more sense, you can level max a weapon, but leeching XP will get you punished when you never used it to kill anything
and lock down the riven for you.

Also, instead of having generic veiled rivens, just make them weapon specific but the stats will need to be unveiled.

Tysis riven "Kill 6 targets with headshots while wall latching."

Purely impossible to do.

1 minute ago, Fallen_Echo said:

Tysis riven "Kill 6 targets with headshots while wall latching."

Purely impossible to do.

I suppose the "kill challenge" currently might be more of a gag and could led to anything from
"easily done" to "next to impossible" depending on weapon type.

The kill count does not have any special conditions like gliding, latching etc, simply using the weapon
to kill is the requirement, it might be steeper though. 

100 - 500 enemies kill would be the average, nothing special, you need to get the kill count registered
and checking profile on weapon usage would reflect this number.

the number required to unveil a riven need to be obtained newly, meaning if you have 100,000 kills with a weapon before obtaining a riven, 
you will need to kill 100 - 500 more to unveil the riven.

57 minutes ago, Ada_Wong_SG said:

I suppose the "kill challenge" currently might be more of a gag and could led to anything from
"easily done" to "next to impossible" depending on weapon type.

The kill count does not have any special conditions like gliding, latching etc, simply using the weapon
to kill is the requirement, it might be steeper though. 

100 - 500 enemies kill would be the average, nothing special, you need to get the kill count registered
and checking profile on weapon usage would reflect this number.

the number required to unveil a riven need to be obtained newly, meaning if you have 100,000 kills with a weapon before obtaining a riven, 
you will need to kill 100 - 500 more to unveil the riven.

Ah nevermind i forgot that its damage was increased recently, anyway the reason i suggested this weapon specifically was because it was one of the weakest secondary weapon you could get. Despite its high as hell status chance this thing falled off quite quickly because of the low damage, coupling this with a riven challange what requies kills is a great recipe for frustration.

2 hours ago, xX-Kuro-Xx said:

What is the point of this "weapon content" if players just put it in a slot, ignore it, then vendor it when it hits mastery? Just to sell weapon slots to collectors for plat? If we don't have to use the weapons ever, I don't see why they are there.

Do you feel like other things the game makes you do like those pesky "objectives" and "riven unlocks" and everything else are just in the way too? In the way of what?

A game is about creating fun. And even though you all seem to want to get something for nothing, being forced to use a weapon to master it (even if it was just for lvl 29 to 30) would be a fun and worthwhile effort. Maybe it would require running some lower level content, instead of just going into a high level +XP grind and leeching. Buck up.

The point its that theres A LOT of options for every mastery level. I never ever used the standard boltor till I was mastery 14, and at that point using it was painfull, specially since I already had the boltor prime and telos boltor.

Having to use weapons you dont like or are plain terrible because they where meant to low level content to gain mastery rank its not fun.

Its like saying to you that in order to play a specific game on a theme park you first need to play another one that you dont like.

The system its ok as it is. You like it, you use it, you dislike it, you dont use it. I have a gigantic arsenal atm and a lot of weapons I leveled ended up being fun (I always thinker arround with them before selling them), but a lot other was actually terrible to use.

I understand why players might want this not to be too much of a chore.. but it's not like it's totally crazy. It's basically the same thing as leveling warframes for mastery. You have to actually play them... and even when they are not that generally useful (vauban!?), we still play them and enjoy learning about them. 

2 hours ago, KittySkin said:

The system its ok as it is. You like it, you use it, you dislike it, you dont use it. I have a gigantic arsenal atm and a lot of weapons I leveled ended up being fun (I always thinker arround with them before selling them), but a lot other was actually terrible to use.

Exactly... some of them are terrible, and experiencing the terrible ones makes the good ones feel good. Even if we had to kill just *five* enemies with a weapon to max it, that would be a big improvement IMO. 

I got the boar prime and vectis prime with twitch prime, and I built the orthos, and those weapons are 99.9% of my usage for 156 hours of gameplay -- because they are so much better than anything else I've fired a few shots from.  I'm sure at some point I'll find some better weapons to upgrade to. But it feels so weird to "master" 30-40 different weapons that I literally never fired/used. 

I just put the other weapons in a slot and don't ever use them while they passively level. I don't even put mods on them, because it's a waste of time. That seems really really lame to me. Maybe it's because I'm a severe optimizer/achiever player (on the Bartle MMO spectrum), so I can't bring myself to waste time with a sub optimal weapon if I don't have to. Yet I feel that makes this part of the game feel really flat. There are so many interesting weapons... for sure they are sub-optimal, but still interesting to learn if I was given a reason to. Right now there is no reason I can see. 

The result is that I think the weapon progression leveling would feel much better if I was forced to use the weapons at least for a short while in order to max them... I'm not looking to create pain, but just something modest....

Extremely low impact would be requiring 25 to 100 kills to get from lvl 29 to mastered. 

Slightly more impact would be requiring 5 kills for each rank, which would be 150 kills total, but would force you to experience the weapon at all power levels, which would be good at first but would probably become tedius. Maybe it could require 5 kills for every rank over 15, which would only be 75 kills. 

Edited by xX-Kuro-Xx