Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oberon "Finvarra" Revised (Potential Round 15 Submission)

Embarrassingly, I took so long to get back to this that my original topic got archived. It's here for reference: (removed)

However, the Sketchfab link in that has been updated, and the images got removed from the host site, so I've included them again at the end of this post.

Besides being really busy, I couldn't articulate what I was getting wrong with the design due to personal inexperience, so I took a break on this until last month and was able to rework it thanks to some great feedback on this AND my "Weshiggan" piece (which I do hope to return to if I manage to get this accepted - it's just that it's authored much more poorly than this and vastly more difficult to iterate on).

I haven't uploaded it to Steam yet because I'd prefer a nearly-final version before anyone starts voting on it, but I intend to upload soon so that I can try to make it into Round 15.

Check it out in 3D here: (removed)

Earlier version (the missing images from the original post): (removed)

Main changes are to the details: I got rid of just about all floating bevels which broke the larger forms down into smaller ones, helping it match the Tennogen style guidelines. then improved materials, made stylistic changes to support the primary changes, removed parts of, and reworked the Channel 3 "paint" channel to make it work better with the new surface details.

The biggest "macro" change was to the lower side rib area where the main design didn't flow very well.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by SpiderMonkeylord
removing broken links which contained pii
  • Like 2

It looks as if he is wearing a crown made out of antlers... loving it! The patterns and design give off a celtic sort of vibe, like tattoos I think? I can't put my finger on it but it gives him a more 'wild' appearance along with the metal parts, which I like very much. Keep up the good work! ^^

@Elanair I'm so glad you see it as celtic! That was a major point of inspiration; I was trying to channel a bit of that without being really on the nose about it. Finvarra is from Irish legend, a king of the Daoine Sidhe, a race of fairy-ish people, just like Oberon is king of the fairies in Shakespeare and other renaissance literature. Elements of the characters may even have influenced each other.

Edited by SpiderMonkeylord

50 minutes ago, SpiderMonkeylord said:

@Elanair I'm so glad you see it as celtic! That was a major point of inspiration; I was trying to channel a bit of that without being really on the nose about it. Finvarra is from Irish legend, a king of the Daoine Sidhe, a race of fairy-ish people, just like Oberon is king of the fairies in Shakespeare and other renaissance literature. Elements of the characters may even have influenced each other.

Awesome! Loving it! Keep up the good work! ^^

Your attention to detail is fantastic.  A true labor of love.  Here’s my feedback:

1.  Before going any further, make sure the metal accents don’t violate the “Primed” art directive per DE.

An alternative to the “brassy” metals is to find other spectacular stone textures in nature to apply to them if DE wants a change.

2.  I would wrap the two main horns on the head down and around the chin and tie them into the face for flow purposes.

That simple little change will make the metal parts feel much more a part of the body as opposed to jewelry and differentiate your design a bit further from regular Oberon.

Thanks!

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...