Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Exergis Is.....Gimmicky.

Hexecution

Alright, so here's a little backstory. I've tried out quite a lot of rivens for every single type of shotguns that has ever existed in this game. I then came across the Exergis, and using it was quite an. . . .interesting experience.

Before actually crafting the weapon, I came across a mildly amusing Exergis riven with Multishot, Damage, Electricity, and negative Status Duration. As always, I prioritize in maximizing DPS within my riven so I can relax and stop worrying about how much damage I dealt when I slap on a few QoL mods onto my weapon.

//The first test run / Leveling Up stage

My very first impression of this quirky Corpus shotgun is its magazine size, as well as a heart-clutching 1.6 reload speed base. Without any reload mods, this weapon is a high-risk high reward shotgun that either rewards you very much so for landing your shots, or punishes you quite dearly if you miss your shot. With one or more reload mods, this weapon is still a high-risk high reward shotgun. In this case, I felt that the Tigris was much better not only in term of higher DPs due to its higher magazine + duplex mechanic (I might be wrong, someone might have to verify this), but also has that secondary fire sort of like a safety net in case your first shot somehow didn't finished off the target, or more has flooded to the scene.

The second thing that I've noticed is its spread. Now, I might be a bit crazy for thinking like this, but I feel like that Vicious Spread perfectly compliments the Exergis' tight, "single-target" spread, especially when combining with punch through, it opens up more opportunity for the Exergis to become a dangerously powerful room clearer (although arguably not as good as, say, Arca Plasmor).

<>

//Comparison within its Shotgun family

The closest shotgun family memeber that the Exergis resembles isn't Arca Plasmor (lacks room-clearing capability), or the Tigris Prime (no safety net if you misses your shot), or the Astilla (doesn't have built-in mechanic of AoE, as well as being a pellets-based shotgun). What this Exergis really resembles, in my opinion, is the Drakgoon. 

First off, preparation time in-between shots. To maximize damage output, you'll have to charge up the Drakgoon, aim at the enemy, and hope for the best that your bullets will fly in a tight arc that makes enough contact with the target to kill them in one go. This is also quite similar to the Exergis, the fact that every time you are about to blast your enemy, there is that lurking fear of not being able to kill them in one succession and buying enough time to fire the next shot (although the same problem might apply more to the Drakgoon than the Exergis, since the Exergis when modded correctly, will be able to shred virtually any ordinary enemies that you would encounter in the majority of your lifetime. But I'm not you, so who can I say). But what I'm saying is that moment of scurrying for your safety after pulling the trigger, that window of vulnerability after firing such a clumped shot, is what makes the Exergis essentially a bigger, better, badder version of the Drakgoon in a way.

<>

//My Personal Riven Evaluation / Extras / My neck hurts

Like I mentioned in the beginning, my MS/DMG/Elec/-SD riven can bring together enough damage to basically shred any kind of corrupted, heavy enemies level 200 or whatever that I can think of and/or encounter. But how does this riven complements my build? Well, let's break it down (in logical order):

Damage: Pretty self-explanatory here. +140% additional damage, shreds. What more can I say?

Electricity: Not only does it provide an already astounding amount of additional electricity damage coming from my Primed Charged Shell, but it also increases the higher chance to proc Corrosive. Amazing. Something that the Arca Plasmor and other slug-based shotguns lack, is the ability to proc tons of Corrosive/elemental status simultaneously.

Multishot: Like I previously mentioned above, more procs. And just overall more damage already on top of tons of damage.

-Status Duration: "But wait! Isn't the Exergis a slash-based shotgun? What are you doing?! That riven is worth less because of-" Alright, shut. First off, Exergis CAN be built into a slash proc machine (48% slash IPS), but that does NOT mean that it have to be built like that, and especially so in my case with its complementary +Electricity riven. For evaluation purpose, I have only Toxic Barrage, Shell Shock, Primed Charged Shell, , Contagious Spread, Chilling Reload, and the riven equipped, I am hitting around 40,000 Corrosive, 5,200 Cold, 2,200 Radiation, and only 6,500 IPS damage. With IPS weight considered, the chance for each bullet to proc Corrosive status would be 40/(40+5.2+2.2+6.5*4) = 54.5%. We can safely say that slash is a nice addition to proc, but the real slice of cake here is the Corrosive proc that shreds through enemies health instantaneously. Alright, I'm heading off to sleep. I want to hear what you guys think about this whole deal.

Hey, I heard you keep using that Vectis up close. Sooo... what about the same thing, but as a shotgun?

Truth be told, the Exergis is a lot of fun to be used. It's not the most comfortable thing to use, but I learned by now that "comfort" and "fun" do not always sit on the same couch together.

EDIT: I'm a bit of a madman and I use Vicious Spread on everything I can put it on, and I too found it perfectly fitting on the Exergis.

Edited by CyberMane

With chilling reload(reload at 1.1) and ammo stock(to make it  2 shots) plus shred for punch thro(personal preference just makes me smile.

Sure this setup cant go to lvl 200, but its fine up to 80~100 and I actually enjoy using it that way.

Seeking Fury, Ammo Stock, Chilling Reload, three status/damage mods of your choice, primed point blank, hell's chamber.

It has the highest base damage in the game.  The key is to exploit that.  Double your magazine, double your pellet count, double the amount of punchthrough it has,with a fast reload you boost its effective DPS. Unless a riven can effectively replace any of the above mods its honestly not worth it to me.

• 1 month later...

I'm having fun with mine, so far. Only up to Rank 26 and no rivens or any fancy mods, but its putting out 10.5k radiation damage, which seems to get rid of most things in my way in just 1 or  2 shots.

Will finally get to try out the Amprex & Arca Plasmor tomorrow. Be fun to see how they compare.

Edited by FlusteredFerret

1 hour ago, FlusteredFerret said:

Or you can just move, or find cover during reloads.

Not sure what moving or finding cover has to do with it feeling a better weapon for having a shorter reload ~ prior to getting my riven with its massive reload bonus Chilling reload, seeking fury and tactical pump were barely keeping it tolerable