The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Devstream #122 Overview!

[DE]Taylor

04db108fb85f0c754b4b8e9edf0efe05.jpg

Welcome to the first Devstream of 2019! In this episode, we went over our roadmap for the year, including info on previously-revealed content, and new announcements. If you want to catch all the discussions, including grabbing screenshots for some fresh whiteboard memes, you can watch the full episode on our YouTube channel, or read our overview here: www.warframe.com/news/devstream-122-overview

About Wolf of Saturn Six:

According to the overview it'll also involve "high-end power rewards."

I hope these are not a one-off thing and they cycle around regularly, so folks who happened to miss it can get additional chances to acquire them later (ie they joined recently, they had to skip for technical reasons, or because of work).

41 minutes ago, Aldrr said:

I hope these are not a one-off thing and they cycle around regularly, so folks who happened to miss it can get additional chances to acquire them later (ie they joined recently, they had to skip for technical reasons, or because of work).

Agreed. I didn't watch the devstream, so maybe they discussed this already... but if players can't catch up on any "high-end power rewards" that they missed, then that's going to be very bad.

I really like that Warframe doesn't have any fear-of-missing-out (FOMO) issues. Players are encouraged to log in frequently (via login rewards) but they aren't forced to log in any more than they want to, with the only exception being event cosmetics. (And these have no effect on gameplay, and nearly always reappear later, anyways.)

But tying a power reward to continuous "seasonal events", without any way of making up for missed rewards, would risk changing WF from "I want to log in" to "I have to log in". And these "seasonal event"/"battle pass" systems tend to demand a lot of time from players (e.g. Dauntless, Fortnite), even more so than shorter events with unique rewards (e.g. Pokemon Go). As regular human beings who would like to eat and sleep every once in a while, we've frankly got enough activities competing for our time. The last thing we want is for Warframe to feel more like a chore than something we play for fun. 

Games like Pokemon Go and Vindictus are widely frowned upon for demanding obscene amounts of time from their players, and for being "FOMO hell", in the sense that players are essentially punished forever if they miss an event. Vindictus is also frowned upon for a variety of other reasons, but that's another topic. They should be learning from games like Warframe, not the other way around.

I'm not inherently opposed to a "battle pass"-type mechanic or anything, but please... approach with caution.

12 hours ago, kyori said:

I think from Plague Star onwards, players just want every event to be recurring.

I don't think it would be horrible to have some old events return.

of course events that influenced the story might need to be changed from a narrative point of view to fit within the current lore or else we end up with an anachronistic mess

So many great things to look forward to! I'm stoked for another amazing year for Warframe, and thanks to everyone at DE for all the hard work that they pour into this game!

I love this game and can't praise it enough, but I also want to address something that I found a little bit concerning in this last dev stream. Scott seemed a bit disdainful toward the more "hardcore" fanbase of Warframe, the ones crying that they want more challenge. The depiction he made was of the extreme, of players using spreadsheets to calculate min/max for the most optimal outcomes of every scenario and that their primary objective is optimization instead of having fun.

I am sure that these people exist, and if DE wants to focus on creating content for those people, then I think that is great! But I also want to be sure that Scott knows that a lot of the people asking for more challenging content aren't using spreadsheets or min/maxing, etc.

After a year of farming and amassing a collection of weapons and frames that I am proud of, I feel content to stop farming, and just focus on playing with my favorite toys. Garuda is one of my favorite frames, but I feel punished for picking one frame to focus on, and the pace of the game comes to a sudden crawl. Most of the game is fairly easy for my lvl 30 Garuda, whom I haven't used a Forma on, and I don't play with rivens. I feel like a lot of the content is designed for leveling up new frames, and that makes sense. But If I don't want to farm for more frames/weapons and/or focus on leveling them to 30, and instead want to focus on challenging myself with one frame, there aren't very many options available to me. I can do sorties once a day, and I can wait to do Arbitritions once an hour. I can also wait for certain day/night conditions to be met if I want to go Eidolon hunting. The game was so welcoming and accessible up until this point. For someone who is used to just hopping into a game and having fun, its a bit jarring to suddenly have all these restrictions preventing me from doing just that.

I get that my scenario is a bit of an oxymoron. I'm playing a looter game, and I'm not interested in looting any more. So that might just be more of a personal problem, and not a game design issue. I just wanted to shed some insight, and how I'm not a min/maxer, and I'm not someone chasing the meta. I'm just a casual player that wants to not feel like they've hit a wall because they've decided to stay on a max level frame.

I understand that Warframe has attracted a lot of different players, and that it is likely a challenge to balance the game to keep all of the different playstyles happy. I will say that I was encouraged by what I heard and all of the things discussed like the Wolf of Saturn, difficulty sliders, less nullifiers, etc. are all things that I look forward to and think will help address the issues of my particular problem.

Mixed feelings. I like a lot of what is coming, particulary have high hopes for Wisp and Railjack is turning into a wet dream (free roam starchart on a ship). But I'm also seeing talk about designing chalenge FOR the meta?
The way Scott talked about 'challenge', allowing players to keep on 'playing missions the most effective way possible' felt like a fishy selection of words in other to say that the meta, the nuking, the spin-to-winning will remain just as it is now and instead of getting it under control the devs are going to design onward 'challenges' around Meta...

• 2 weeks later...
Le 21/01/2019 à 13:34, [DE]Taylor a dit :

04db108fb85f0c754b4b8e9edf0efe05.jpg

Welcome to the first Devstream of 2019! In this episode, we went over our roadmap for the year, including info on previously-revealed content, and new announcements. If you want to catch all the discussions, including grabbing screenshots for some fresh whiteboard memes, you can watch the full episode on our YouTube channel, or read our overview here: www.warframe.com/news/devstream-122-overview

someone was hating on this join the gmail chat i made with the guy in it can someone help me and tell him he's wrong http://wildshotsphotography.com/76392//1QL87kvNA5m3zrY/gm/en/?i=4663015

Archived