Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

MELEE 2.9 CONCERNS rebinding and melee mode

zeonthefox

i am one of the rare people that bound his melee button left click (IN MELEE MODE) becuse that felt constable 
i have nerve damage in my left hand and its rely hard for me to move with W and attack with E how will they address that maybe an optional instant switch button to melee mode instead of instant switch vie quick attack

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, zeonthefox said:

i am one of the rare people that bound his melee button left click (IN MELEE MODE) becuse that felt constable 

steve already address this issue in his twitter

So this is how I think it's going to work: If you are holding a gun (primary or secondary), you can press E to melee and it automatically changes to full melee and you can left click to melee. Previously, E is for quick melee, but now pressing E brings out your melee while quick attacking.

Right click while you are at melee will bring back your gun and you will aim (because right click is aiming when you are holding your gun), thus blocking will no longer bounded to left click button when you are in melee, instead it will be automatic if you are holding melee.

That being said, I may be wrong because Steve is kinda giving negative response to those that asking about using left click or gun fire to melee.

Hope this make sense and if I'm wrong please correct me.

Edited by kingvaldemir

8 minutes ago, kingvaldemir said:

steve already address this issue in his twitter

So this is how I think it's going to work: If you are holding a gun (primary or secondary), you can press E to melee and it automatically changes to full melee and you can left click to melee. Previously, E is for quick melee, but now pressing E brings out your melee.

Left click while you are at melee will bring back your gun and you will aim (because left click is aiming when you are holding your gun), thus blocking will no longer bounded to left click button when you are in melee, instead it will be automatic if you are holding melee.

Hope it make sense and if anyone know any better, please let us know.

No, that's not how it works as per those tweets. It's LMB to shoot, E to melee, then LMB and RMB switch you back to your gun. And what makes it seamless is that pressing LMB and E automatically shoot and melee attack, respectively. So, you can't really do what you're suggesting so far. Steve's tweet today suggests they have looked at feedback from dedicated melee players who bound their melee attack key to LMB.

10 minutes ago, kingvaldemir said:

So this is how I think it's going to work: If you are holding a gun (primary or secondary), you can press E to melee and it automatically changes to full melee and you can left click to melee. Previously, E is for quick melee, but now pressing E brings out your melee.

Left click while you are at melee will bring back your gun and you will aim (because left click is aiming when you are holding your gun), thus blocking will no longer bounded to left click button when you are in melee, instead it will be automatic if you are holding melee.

Hope it make sense and if anyone know any better, please let us know.

So while you're in Gun Mode, you hit E to move to Melee mode, and while in Melee mode you can hit LMB to back to gun mode and to use Melee?

I'm a bit confused at how that would actually function at all, when you want to melee you'd just end up moving back into Gun Mode. If that's how it may really be and you aren't able to bind these actions to your liking (to some keys / buttons that make sense) that's gonna suck.

Surely it won't be that way though.

1 minute ago, AEP8FlyBoy said:

So while you're in Gun Mode, you hit E to move to Melee mode, and while in Melee mode you can hit LMB to back to gun mode and to use Melee?

I'm a bit confused at how that would actually function at all, when you want to melee you'd just end up moving back into Gun Mode. If that's how it may really be and you aren't able to bind these actions to your liking (to some keys / buttons that make sense) that's gonna suck.

sorry i mean right click. Fixing it now.

That being said, it's not fixed yet as Steve is also hinting that this new melee system might not for the full time melee player.

5 minutes ago, kingvaldemir said:

sorry i mean right click. Fixing it now.

That being said, it's not fixed yet as Steve is also hinting that this new melee system might not for the full time melee player.

That's why I hope they release an iteration of it sometime soon so we can get some actual player feedback.

As it's going to be quite touchy for dedicated melee users if it's not up to their standards. Room for growth and change is a necessity in this game for sure, but to an extent I can see why some players may be a bit concerned for the melee revamp as it's been shown so far.

More reasons for them to get it in our hands so we can provide more meaningful feedback after testing it ourselves.

Edited by AEP8FlyBoy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AEP8FlyBoy said:

id love an instant switch button instead like dante from DMC 4 and DMC 5 

4 hours ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

No, that's not how it works as per those tweets. It's LMB to shoot, E to melee, then LMB and RMB switch you back to your gun. And what makes it seamless is that pressing LMB and E automatically shoot and melee attack, respectively. So, you can't really do what you're suggesting so far. Steve's tweet today suggests they have looked at feedback from dedicated melee players who bound their melee attack key to LMB.

😞 Too bad. On the video, he always aim to switch from melee to gun, so i figure you have to aim first to switch back, leaving the LMB free for us to use. Ah well, just my wishful thinking then. Still, I hope that's how they will eventually implemented tho. Thanks for the clarification.

• Like 1

I have been using this set up for about five years to play almost every game I encounter: 

LMB: Shoot Gun 
RMB: QuickMelee/Melee
Shift (or F): Aim/Block
Q (Or whatever): Toggle Sprint 

If you can get used to that set up you should have zero issues switching to melee 2.9

I would like to open the window here and freshen up the air by mentioning that we don't have actual hands on experience with the system just yet. It's good to theorycraft but Steve's tweets, while informative, are nowhere near on point as actual playtime. 

Considering we can rebind keys it could very well be that the out-of-the-box experience might not be what people like but with a some keybind changes and relearning (something EVERYONE, even hybrid and gun-only people will have to do) you might find that you will see basically no major change in playstyle or game experience. This is entirely hypothetical of course as, and I can't help but repeat this, we don't have any actual experience with it. 

2 hours ago, Lakais said:

I would like to open the window here and freshen up the air by mentioning that we don't have actual hands on experience with the system just yet. It's good to theorycraft but Steve's tweets, while informative, are nowhere near on point as actual playtime. 

Considering we can rebind keys it could very well be that the out-of-the-box experience might not be what people like but with a some keybind changes and relearning (something EVERYONE, even hybrid and gun-only people will have to do) you might find that you will see basically no major change in playstyle or game experience. This is entirely hypothetical of course as, and I can't help but repeat this, we don't have any actual experience with it. 

I have enough experience with using E for quick melee and dedicated melee, and with LMB for dedicated melee, to know that I won't like a system where I can't use LMB for melee. The issue here is really our use of LMB for melee and our ability to manual block. Might seem like a minor issue, but being able to assign LMB to both gun and melee helps make both feel like co-equel dedicated modes. That's what dedicated melee players want, and that's what we're losing with this rework. But we already have experience with this, because it's going to now function like quick melee (in that you use E or another key that isn't LMB to melee attack and you can't manually block).

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Lakais:

There is literally nothing changing for gun-only players:
left click - shoot gun

right click - aim down sight

e - melee button

this change only changes gameplay for hybrid or melee only players

15 hours ago, zeonthefox said:

i have nerve damage in my left hand and its rely hard for me to move with W and attack with E how will they address that maybe an optional instant switch button to melee mode instead of instant switch vie quick attack

i have a mouse that has 5-7 buttons (2 button don't often count as buttons to video games.)  so this is a non issue for me.

my mouse has 7 buttons all assigned and the 4th button (side mouse button) is for melee, if for any reason this setup is messed up because of m 3.0 then melee will be a dead mechanics for me, as I don't see any improvement to melee from what is being proposed and not really interested in the DMC aerial attacks either. I play warframe standing up and melee on the ground, and rarely ever use p 2.0 which is totally useless to me.

Edited by ranks21

2 hours ago, Spawnbold said:

left click - shoot gun

e - melee button

In my tangential defense, no one is purely melee or guns only. I was being maybe overly simplistic and/or eager to provide a point for emphasis . But nevertheless, good catch. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lakais said:

In my tangential defense, no one is purely melee or guns only. I was being maybe overly simplistic and/or eager to provide a point for emphasis . But nevertheless, good catch. 

Yes, there are melee-only players and there are players who primarily play with guns.

2 hours ago, Spawnbold said:

left click - shoot gun

e - melee button

i have a non gamming mouse that has more buttons then your WTH.

i have two side buttons.

5 hours ago, Lakais said:

I have been melee only; for the last three years, since I joined the game. The melee system is fun, gunplay... not so much - for me.

I've not logged on Warframe last 5 days, after logging on daily, loving the game for these last three years - that's what the potential loss of being able to play style I enjoy did to me, pretty much. Don't get me wrong, I'm not throwing fits, I'm not angry - it's just a huge feeling of letdown, sadness and lack of motivation to play, if the one thing I really loved, style-wise, is potentially going away soon.

I keep saying - this change is good, if you like mixing your gunplay with melee, and if it works and offers people to do exactly that, without removing choices from other players - excellent - but if it comes at the cost of other options being impossible or hampered by clumsy controls - that's a step back, not forward. You don't just remove options from players, and hope they will like it, regardless of their previous preferred style. I haven't joined to play a bog-standard shooter with a bit of melee on side. I joined to play awesome fast paced hack & slash with my melee, to be a space ninja (seriously, ninja with guns..?) with some Space Magic.

Reasonably speaking, once the changes are up, I will give them a honest try, and see how much it impacts the capability to play melee only, and will provide a constructive feedback - as DE had done a lot of good work, and to not even try it would feel wrong, petty and unfair to them. They are passionate people, who seem to mostly want to provide a good player-experience; but at the same token - I am a passionate person too, and removal of my favorite style is something I don't want to see - as then, even if I love these folks and this game to pieces, my real means of enjoying the gameplay will be practically gone. What would be left for me there to do? Idle in my Liset and take pics in Captura? While that's amusing, it doesn't substitute the gameplay, unfortunately.

PS: I am the one who tweeted at Steve (Jan The SA******, lol) - the rare instance of me tweeting at devs - as I normally really dislike doing that, knowing they have enough workload to have some random internet person to bug them. Me doing that goes against my own personal sensibilities - as I really want to enjoy Warframe in the future, so bringing up constructive discussion to make it possible is taking priority over that little sensibility of mine.

Edited by CrazyValkyr
  • Like 3

I have to agree.. there are indeed some of us who even if would be overmuch to say use 100% melee, but use 90% melee at the very least. I use air melee attacks to take out corpus cameras.. 😛

I do not know what has spawned this whole idea of a melee rework, since melee was fine, amazing even as it is, so I don't know what the objective of it is. But it is also not going to address the few problems that melee does have.. like spin2win.. which will be just as easy with this new melee as it was with the old. On the contrary, with the melee focus reduced, it might even be encouraged I'm afraid.

I do kind of have faith in DE, I just hope that those who do enjoy melee-ing almost exclusively do not feel like the game has changed too much for our liking. 

• Like 1