Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Valkyr really needs a rework

Traumtulpe

I'll keep this as short as possible; I really like Valkyr and her Gersemi skin, but there are severe problems with her abilities. Some of the recent reworks were great, and Valkyr seems all the more substandard by comparison.

Ripline is cool but does nothing. It might as well deal 0 damage and you might as well bullet jump.

Warcry is good but cumbersome. While Warcry is active, you are unable to use it again - thus you cannot slow fresh enemies or buff allies passing by. This would only make sense if Warcry was a constant aura, affecting everyone around Valkyr for it's duration. It's animation is also unpleasantly long.

Additionally, it has close to no effect on most allies - the only Warframe you really want to buff, apart from yourself, is Excalibur.

Paralysis would be good to enable finisher attacks if it were reliable. This is a very narrow use and even then, unlike other abilities that serve this purpose, it frequently does not work (caused by enemies animations).

Hysteria is powerful and looks awesome, but it's combos are undesirable yet trigger accidentally, and it would be far more balanced if it used it's own resource.

Call it Fury, for example; You get Fury by taking damage to health, and Hysteria consumes it while active. "Fury" is of course inspired by Baruuk's "Restraint", but also by the mod "Rage" which works very well in combination with Hysteria.

Another problem with Hysteria is the very fast attack speed in combination with Warcry. Just make it an "automatic weapon" - hold the button to attack continuously, this also removes the unwanted combos.

I believe it is relatively easy to rework Valkyr, as she doesn't do anything crazy - she should be durable, fast paced, good at fighting in melee and able to buff/debuff decently. A mix between Chroma, Nova and Baruuk (Chroma and Nova are more specialized, and Baruuks abilities are better designed). Thank you for reading and let's hope for a rework by 2020!

• Like 1

A basic suggestion to replace Ripline or Paralysis:

Prowl - Become invisible until your next attack, drains energy and increases movement speed. Cast again to end the effect and jump into the direction you are aiming, or pounce on an enemy you are targeting.

This would fit with her feline theme and give more mobility than Ripline. Should be an instant cast like Molt.

12 minutes ago, Traumtulpe said:

Prowl - Become invisible until your next attack, drains energy and increases movement speed. Cast again to end the effect and jump into the direction you are aiming, or pounce on an enemy you are targeting.

This would fit with her feline theme and give more mobility than Ripline. Should be an instant cast like Molt.

you just replaced them with ivaras stealth. also valkyr is a berserker, berserkers don't sneak they smash. it doesn't work with her overall theme. i do like the warcry aura idea though.

37 minutes ago, Wrum said:

you just replaced them with ivaras stealth. also valkyr is a berserker, berserkers don't sneak they smash. it doesn't work with her overall theme. i do like the warcry aura idea though.

Ivara can attack while invisible (for increased damage), becomes slower instead of faster, and steals items. Quite different I would say. Regardless, I don't really care what would replace those two abilities - anything would be better.

I am pleased to hear you agree on Warcry though. It actually feels like this ability was supposed to be an aura at some point, otherwise I can't really imagine how it ended up the way it is.

Another suggestion: Frenzy - Your next attack deals 100% more damage and increases your movement and reload speed by 15% for 10 seconds. The speed buff stacks up to 3 times and movement speed is not affected by power strength. This would also be an instant cast and work with both guns and melee, giving Valkyr some versatility.

Edited by Traumtulpe

3 hours ago, Traumtulpe said:

Nothing in any media with a berserker type character do they shy away from fight and go invisible. Her visual theme is cat. Has nothing to really do with her abilities, that of berserkers/valkyries.

8 hours ago, peterc3 said:

Nothing in any media with a berserker type character do they shy away from fight and go invisible. Her visual theme is cat. Has nothing to really do with her abilities, that of berserkers/valkyries. 

She only became a berserker after being tortured. Originally she was some sort of sentient animal if I am not mistaken.

9 hours ago, Traumtulpe said:

She only became a berserker after being tortured. Originally she was some sort of sentient animal if I am not mistaken.

Considering her prime trailer, no, she was always a rage-fueled murderkitty. It's something people use to try and prove she breaks lore.

Edited by Atsia

29 minutes ago, Traumtulpe said:

Well, these suggestions were really only food for thought anyway. I assume you agree with my main post.

You have some points, but i don't agree with everything. I don't see a need to fully replace Ripline, and your suggestion to cahnge it makes less sense in her kit than it. Ripline fits her main Viking/Valkyrie/Berserker theme (harpoons and such). Cats are only he visual theme (and her passive) and shouldn't have too much of an influence on their actual kit (Revenant suffers from this). I'd prefer it just brought enemies to your feet instead of sending them flying behind you, like the Scorpion/Ancient hook.

• Like 2

On 2019-02-26 at 1:57 PM, Traumtulpe said:

*looks at Ivara* Very creative and original idea.

paralysis is basically worthless considering that you have a way to force finishers while in hysteria (charge attack) and its damage is based on your shields which is an absolute waste of mod capacity

both warcry and paralysis have absolute trash ranges on most builds due to the popularity of Narrow Minded

just changing the warcry slow to a friendly movespeed buff would be a huge help

I can agree that Valkyr needs a retune, rework or whatever we call it these days, i guess that is based more on how much they decided to change.

But a lot of things do not need a major overhaul.

Hysteria is ok, and soon it will be getting a small indirect buff. Or at least it looked like it during the devstream about the new melee system, so it is a bit hard to judge it yet.

Paralysis should defenetly get a buff and changed, i would say the stunned duration should be increased slightly, sadly this may be hard to do as it is tied to the animation affected foes do instead of a duration on the skill, also i think the damage formulea should be changed. Currently it deals damage based on current shield and i think it should be changed to deal damage based on missing health, and further amplified by missing shield. Health should be based on actual numbers while the shield should be % based.

Warcry Two major changes i would love to see, and a small nerf i would suppose. 
First change it into a Aura around Valkyr instead that persist for a short time on allies and foes that leaves it, and quite a big base range on the aura.
Second change the armor Allies gain are based on Valkyr's Armor instead, she is already the Frame with the most base armor, and giving allies some of that will benefit everyone, it is important to note here that she should still give herself the current armor buff.

The Nerf, since Warcry is a Aura it may be nessecary to nerf the slow enemies get since not only will it be a lot easier to apply, but even if hostile foes would leave the aura it would still persist for a while( This would ofcourse not be a super long time but still a few seconds).

Ripline Honestly, i have no idea what to do with this one, it is ok for traversal if you have a lot of range. But other than that i find it really bad.

At least these are my toughts on what they should change / rework. Well except Ripline as i have no idea what they should do with it

• Like 1

All her skills are good, 1 just suffers from reverse momentum (underpulls you/you are just flung 1/3rd of the way unless you bullet jump before which nulls the point of it, while it also overpulls enemies thus making it moot to pull enemies) and 4 has the old patchwork nerf instead of something that makes for smooth gameplay (like damage taken damages your hp over time and increases energy cost over which you then need to lifesteal back down, you store 100% instead of 30% damage but its influenced by armor and are otherwise invul with no LOS/toggle every 2 rooms gameplay disruption bullS#&$).

Think Nier Automata A2 berserk mode with good chipset, only having "damage stored/denied" causes the health (and energy in this case) degen instead of it being default part of it.

Ripline - Valkyr leaps to an enemy dealing downed melee weapon damage.

Scalable with your melee weapon mods and allows her to close the distance to boot. Probably change the name but you get the idea.

Casting Ripline when in Hysteria will essentially do what the augment for it does now. The augment would do something else like reduce the energy drain of Hysteria for each kill made during.

I like Paralysis it is right now, although I don’t use it for the damage component as much as I do for the stun component with its augment. I do agree that the damage is really lackluster considering that no one builds shields on her. I rather them increase the base stun duration and remove the damage component altogether.

Having Warcry be an aura would seem strange to me though I like your idea of giving other warframes armor based on a percentage of your own.

On 2019-03-02 at 1:53 AM, Hellmaker2004 said:

Warcry Two major changes i would love to see, and a small nerf i would suppose. 
First change it into a Aura around Valkyr instead [...] Second change the armor Allies gain are based on Valkyr's Armor instead, she is already the Frame with the most base armor, and giving allies some of that will benefit everyone, it is important to note here that she should still give herself the current armor buff.

The Nerf, since Warcry is a Aura it may be nessecary to nerf the slow enemies get since not only will it be a lot easier to apply

I like this. You could restrict the aura by line of sight - enemies get paralysed in fear, while allies get inspired from the sight of a raging Valkyr. Even at 10% - 15% the slow would be useful with a lot of ability strength.

Since Ripline may be too iconic to replace, it could be improved by pulling enemies into melee range - and when targeting terrain, have Valkyr pull herself until the button is released or the terrain is reached. It could also remove some armor/shield from the target, instead of dealing insignificant damage.

Paralysis, though, seems to me beyond help. The only thing good about it is that it's very cheap. If this ability was replaced, would anyone miss it at all?

Edited by Traumtulpe