Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Problems with Nightwave and how they could be fixed. (Feel free to add)

Slenderminion

Let me start off by saying i really like the concept of this system. I really, really do.

As with anything that changes a fundamental element of any game however, Nightwave came with a few problems that need to be addressed and fixed quickly. So i won't beat around the bush and get right down to business.

Problem A: Tasks in the wrong category

Kill 500 enemies, capture 3 targets, do 9 invasions, 3 waves of sanctuary, 8 Plains missions? These are all part of the weekly challenges, despite the fact that they can easily be done in a day. I am absolutely certain that even newer players can do most of these and will likely do so through progression anyways.

Solution: These are tasks that should be moved to daily tasks, while the two dailies we ran into till now were a complete joke. Jokes still have their place though, so they can stay.

EDIT: A lot of you brought up a very good point i failed to take into consideration, and that is available playtime. I did not think about weekly challenges maybe not being there to take a week to do, but so that people that do not have a lot of time on their hands to play the game are able to do them and absolutely agree with you on that. I apologize for that.

This leads into...

Problem B: There are not enough daily tasks

I mentioned in A that most of the weekly challenges can be done in a day. Well, those that have done the challenges now have none to do, and need to wait a whole week for new challenges so they can progress.

Planting down a glyph and scanning 25 objects or enemies can both be done in a single mission.

Solution: Maybe raise the daily cap from 1 to 5-10?

A single one is waay too few.

What do you think? If you got problems with the Nightwave system, add them and how you think they could be fixed in the comments.

Edited by Slenderminion

1 minute ago, Slenderminion said:

Kill 500 enemies, capture 3 targets, do 9 invasions, 3 waves of sanctuary, 8 Plains missions. These are all part of the weekly challenges, despite the fact that they can easily be done in a day. I am absolutely certain that even newer player can do most of these and will likely do so through progression anyways

I disagree with you on this. You seem to completely forget that people have limited playtime. I have not even completed the five challenges you stated. They all take time, DE has to give the average player enough time to complete them. Yes, I could do all the challenges if I could play as much as I like, but I cannot do that.

3 minutes ago, Slenderminion said:

There are meant to be two per day.

• I agree, there are too few daily missions. I would be happier with maybe four per day (two per 12 hours). 
  • Like 1

I can kill 500 enemies in a few rounds of onslaught. I can do capture target missions generally in less then 90 seconds if I equip for it, and so on. Honestly most of them can be done real quickly. I got to just shy of rank three in maybe 60 to 90 minutes? I feel that a lot of those weekly objectives should be switched to daily.

Edited by Calthous

7 minutes ago, Slenderminion said:

Kill 500 enemies, capture 3 targets, do 9 invasions, 3 waves of sanctuary, 8 Plains missions? These are all part of the weekly challenges, despite the fact that they can easily be done in a day. I am absolutely certain that even newer players can do most of these and will likely do so through progression anyways.

Solution: These are tasks that should be moved to daily tasks, while the two dailies we ran into till now were a complete joke. Jokes still have their place though, so they can stay.

Some people have limited playtime. These were most likely designed with that in mind.

8 minutes ago, Slenderminion said:

I mentioned in A that most of the weekly challenges can be done in a day. Well, most players and i did just that and now we have none to do, and need to wait a whole week for new challenges so we can progress.

Planting down a glyph and scanning 25 objects or enemies can both be done in a single mission.

Solution: Maybe raise the daily cap from 1 to 5-10? Move those tasks from A into the daily category, but still have all of them active at the same time.

5-10 seems a bit much, but 3-5 might be better. 2 seems a bit low, I agree.

Also, Wolf Cred economy feels a bit off. Admittedly, less of an issue with those spicy rank-up rewards though.

1 minute ago, Calthous said:

I can kill 500 enemies in a few rounds of onslaught. I can do capture target missions generally in less then 90 seconds if I equip for it, and so on. Honestly most of them can be done real quickly. I got to just shy of rank three in maybe 60 to 90 minutes? I feel that a lot of those weekly objectives should be switched to daily.

Hell, most can be done together. Go grab a Simaris daily, run capture missions of the appropriate type. Make progress towards two at once.

Just now, Loza03 said:

Also, Wolf Cred economy feels a bit off. Admittedly, less of an issue with those spicy rank-up rewards though.

I am not fond on Wolf Cred's having a hard limit. Gives players, specially casuals, a hard choice between rare resources such as Nitain, and loosing out on rare stuff. I think the old resources should be shunted off to their own category or system.

I would defiantly like to see around 5 dailies a day as long as they stay pretty simple.

as for the weekly challenges, I don't feel like DE wants the weeklies to take a long time to complete. It just feels like they want them to be there for a week to make sure everyone gets a chance to get most of the rep for the week, and then the dailies are like smaller bonus challenges for more dedicated players to get ahead. 

1 minute ago, Calthous said:

I am not fond on Wolf Cred's having a hard limit. Gives players, specially casuals, a hard choice between rare resources such as Nitain, and loosing out on rare stuff. I think the old resources should be shunted off to their own category or system.

It's been confirmed that we can prestige to get more wolf creds. So it's not a hard limit

That said, I do agree it's a bit casual-unfriendly, which is why I suggested rebalancing the economy a bit.

From the looks of it there is a lot of concern about being pushed to run the content people do not like for some reason.

I believe I have a solution for that, but not sure on how eager DE would be to implement it.
Basically the issue here is variety. So , we need much more variety in the tasks for people to be able to complete those during regular gameplay.
So, my proposition is to give, for example, a choice from 10 to 15 different daily tasks. Same with goes with the weekly - give more choice, like 20 to 30 different ones.

Now, this raises one more problem - inequality in available playtime. Implemented as-is proposed system will give an advantage for players with more playtime being able to rush through all the ranks in a day or two. So, the counterweight is needed.
Cap system can be such a counterweight. For example, dailies can be capped at 5, weeklies at 10.

So, what we get in the end?
You have a choice of 15 daily missions, from which only first 5 will count towards the standing and 30 weekly ones where only first 10 will count that week.
All numbers are subject do discussion ofc

42 minutes ago, krc473 said:

I disagree with you on this. You seem to completely forget that people have limited playtime. I have not even completed the five challenges you stated. They all take time, DE has to give the average player enough time to complete them. Yes, I could do all the challenges if I could play as much as I like, but I cannot do that.

"Limited time" I hate people who want to get the same rewards as the people who grind their a$$ off. Maybe you want an equal working salary,cause you don't have the time ? I mean hey, you could earn the same amount for a week, while the other works for a month.

As for the Nightwave, yeah it needs some tweaks. The "kill 500 enemies" can be done in like 3 void exterminate missions, which takes ~10 minutes. Since it's a weekly, it should be at least like 2k and still it would be very low, since this is a horde shooter.

Edited by Fellas92

4 minutes ago, Fellas92 said:

"Limited time" I hate people who want to get the same rewards as the people who grind their a$$ off. Maybe you want an equal working salary,cause you don't have the time ? I mean hey, you could earn the same amount for a week, while the other works for a month.

Yeah, that's exactly how it works now , you know )

vor 17 Minuten schrieb Slenderminion:

These are all part of the weekly challenges, despite the fact that they can easily be done in a day.

If you don't have a job, yes, you can grind all afternoon to get the things done.

vor 19 Minuten schrieb Slenderminion:

weekly challenges can be done in a day. Well, most players and i did just that and now we have none to do, and need to wait a whole week for new challenges so we can progress.

You could do your homework if you are bored.

vor 20 Minuten schrieb Slenderminion:

Well, most players and i did just that

I whould like o see where you got those statistics, if you think they are a valid point instead of a made up fairytale.

vor 21 Minuten schrieb Slenderminion:

What do you think?

i think you should stop playing videogames all day and go play outside.

49 minutes ago, HerpDerpy said:

I would defiantly like to see around 5 dailies a day as long as they stay pretty simple.

as for the weekly challenges, I don't feel like DE wants the weeklies to take a long time to complete. It just feels like they want them to be there for a week to make sure everyone gets a chance to get most of the rep for the week, and then the dailies are like smaller bonus challenges for more dedicated players to get ahead. 

That is a very good point actually. I don't know how, but i did not think of it that way.

56 minutes ago, Loza03 said:
1 hour ago, Slenderminion said:

Some people have limited playtime. These were most likely designed with that in mind.

You are absolutely right. I apologize.

20 minutes ago, Walkampf said:
1 hour ago, Slenderminion said:

These are all part of the weekly challenges, despite the fact that they can easily be done in a day.

If you don't have a job, yes, you can grind all afternoon to get the things done.

I did them in an evening. I have a life too. You are still right though.

1 hour ago, krc473 said:

As with everyone else, you are absolutely correct. Sorry.

My thoughts would be to have a couple of daily mission type that could be similar to sorties in a way where there are multi-stage types (not necessarily as high level though). For example it can work kinda like a treasure hunt where if you do a spy mission successfully without setting off any alarms it will give you a second stage mission where you will have to do a mobile defense/survival mission where you pick up another clue that leads to an excavation. Complete enough of these and you can maybe get a hard cap of wolf creds at the end of the week or something. Obviously not the most well thought out idea but maybe something to work with.

Edited by Cuchullin

4 hours ago, Fellas92 said:

“Limited time" I hate people who want to get the same rewards as the people who grind their a$$ off. Maybe you want an equal working salary,cause you don't have the time ? I mean hey, you could earn the same amount for a week, while the other works for a month.

The issue is that people want to get the stuff. If DE sets it up so a reasonable amount of people cannot get everything there will be problems. Are people going to spend money and support DE if they are deliberately shut out of newer content? It is in DE’s best interests not to annoy the player base.

• Does it not make sense to give a more efficient person a better salary than a less efficient one? If I only have 6 hours a day but get 95% of the stuff done, surely that’s better than someone that gets 100% done in 16 hours. (We are assuming the workload is the same, because it is with Nightwave). 

14 hours ago, Fellas92 said:

Hearing this from a guy who has 2.5k in game hours....

just saying game hours are not a good indicator.

I have many game hours too, but alot of afking in orbiter

sometimes, i even leave my comp on and fell asleep, too tired from work

next time, when you have to work for a living, to support your family and kids, to pay for bills etc..., you will understand 😂

Edited by Im_a_fat_boy2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Im_a_fat_boy2 said:

just saying game hours are not a good indicator.

I have many game hours too, but alot of afking in orbiter

Sitting in orbiter doesn't add anything towards the ingame hours, only steam hours.

12 hours ago, Im_a_fat_boy2 said:

next time, when you have to work for a living, to support your family and kids, to pay for bills etc..., you will understand

I've been working for 8 years, you're not the "special snowflake" who's the only one with a job.

On 2019-02-28 at 7:18 AM, Calthous said:

Like say Alerts?

They should have kept alerts for resources.