Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

This new melee thing makes me not want to play warframe.

uAir

Another annoying issue as I'm trying to complete this event on my day off.
If I have scanner open, and I press E to melee a container or an enemy, I don't want to stay in melee mode, I want to just melee to kill or break the container, and then immediately go right into scanner again.

Not so with this new system. Super annoying. I'm scanning, see a container, E.
Then I'm in melee mode now and I have to press to activate my scanner again.

It's really annoying and really detracts from the gameplay to where I now have to be pressing E and 1(my scanner bind) over and over as I'm just trying to parkour through the map. Instead of before where I only have to press E once and move around quickly.

Lastly, those of you who think you can just E to do your combos now, I question how you really play the game because whenever I melee I like to also press WASD and move my mouse around to reposition and redirect my melee attacks. I get much more control of the game this way. If you do your combos with E then you're losing a finger on WASD so you're losing full fluid movement of your character as you melee. It's really dumb. I hate it so much. Even checking that option to bind attacks to the left mouse button after pressing E still does not fix all of the other issues I have stated above.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, uAir said:

Not so with this new system. Super annoying. I'm scanning, see a container, E.
Then I'm in melee mode now and I have to press to activate my scanner again.

Hitting right click will bring the scanner back up, and the scanner is useless if you don't zoom in anyways.

1 minute ago, Deadoon said:

Hitting right click will bring the scanner back up, and the scanner is useless if you don't zoom in anyways.

I don't want to have to press anything to bring the scanner back up. I just want one melee attack and automatically go back to my scanner.
Like the old system.

3 minutes ago, uAir said:

I don't want to have to press anything to bring the scanner back up. I just want one melee attack and automatically go back to my scanner.
Like the old system.

If you meleed in the old system it brought you out of zoom anyways, you had to left or right click to go back to scanning. Or you had to hold it.

New system does the exact same thing. You melee it brings out your melee weapon, you right or left click and you go back to the thing you had in your hand before. Holding it will still bring it back as soon as the attack is done.

Edited by Deadoon

Just encountered another annoyance.

I want to stay in melee mode because I want to use my melee weapon as I run around and kill things. Melee only. No guns.
I press E to equip melee weapon.

As I run around I will press right click to increase my parkour speed in the air. This swaps me back to guns without me wanting to do that.
Now instead of just continuing to attack with left click when I land I have to press E again to switch to melee.

Really clunky gameplay. I don't want melee + guns active all the time. Sometimes I want only my melee active, forever, until such a time as when I press F and equip my gun again.

============

I've been thinking about this. A rather simple solution, I think as everything is tied to that damned E button.
At this point I'm willing to have two different melee modes. One is the old one and one is the new one. And give us the option to hold down F and go back to equipping our melee weapon via the old system.

I will unbind the new one on E and bind the old one to E.
I'll rebind the new melee system to some other button instead, one that I'll never use.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, uAir said:

I want to stay in melee mode because I want to use my melee weapon as I run around and kill things. Melee only. No guns.

As I run around I will press right click to increase my parkour speed in the air. This swaps me back to guns without me wanting to do that.
Now instead of just continuing to attack with left click when I land I have to press E again to switch to melee.

Left click to attack is a legacy feature, you chose to make it a button that works as either shooting or melee attacking. That feature was never default or standard and you had to activate manually for a long time. Now it is specifically stated as a way to "preserve one aspect of the older melee system". 

You did something that you are now complaining about.

Edited by Deadoon
Focusing response

Uhh everything you mentioned are... Invalid? Instead of swap then swing you literally just wing right into combo. Tatsu and Redeemer does their rmb combo just fine, we have combo resume now. You dont holster melee anymore so u are literally always using both your gun and your melee effectively. 

You just didn't even bother trying did you?

21 minutes ago, Firemyst said:

But not everyone wants manual block. Some people like to have it block by itself.

So give players the option instead of forcing everyone to do one or the other. That's all most of us melee players are asking for. But DE wants to force only one way of playing the game by removing our ability to bind block.

Edited by A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n

This update was certainly jarring as a new player that was loving melee 2.0, and doesn't know what was wrong with it. I hate fps games, because my pixel hunting aim is terrible. I quickly picked up a polearm and giddily murdered everything with it. Each mission would have a quick tap of 'C' to get me into melee mode and off I went. If I needed a gun, I was fine to tap it again to switch modes and fire at a camera. I controlled my mode manually, and never had to question what weapon a left click would use.

My issue is that there is no melee mode now, and the game thinks it knows what I want to use more than I do. I'm still getting used to the loss of melee glide. I constantly have to check if my weapons swapped because I turned in a power cell, or glided, or any other random thing that seems to swap now.

I get it, most people don't like locking modes and think it's clunky to be required to press a key before weapons change. I find it clunky to memorize what specific actions swap to what now, and hit extra keys to stay using the weapon I already was using.

My biggest fear is when the legacy tagged option to left click melee gets removed. I feel it won't stick around forever since modes are a thing of the past and keybinds already don't overlap anymore.

Edit: Forgot about channeling. I have to rely on the sound difference since it's a toggle now instead of optional hold. I used it to burn priority targets in a few hits, and toggle always felt clunky to me. I make sure to spend extra time now whenever I touch channeling so it turns off properly. The glow is so nearly unnoticeable, and no UI prompt says it's on. Thankfully I'm not deaf and the sound changes drastically.

Edited by Rabbio
Channeling
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Soup2504 said:

this like, isn't really true. if you START by holding right click then yes, you will go into gun aim, but if you melee attack, hold right click (preferably while the animation is happening and you're still spamming that melee button), then continue meleeing while holding right click, you can still spam your hold right click combo. If they didn't work after the changes, DE wouldn't have kept right click combos in the game. You just have to attack before you hold right click, that's it.

You don’t even have to. If you press E after aiming down sights you begin the melee combo just as well. You don’t need to be cautious with it at all.

Edited by Shadedraxe

Alright the reason people complain about the new system is because its being compared to a COMPLETE old system. Its like comparing a old car that's been complete to a new car that's still in its early test phases. Both function and do what's its suppose to do, but one has already been fine tuned while the other is still going through it

1 hour ago, uAir said:

Just encountered another annoyance.

Really clunky gameplay. I don't want melee + guns active all the time. Sometimes I want only my melee active, forever, until such a time as when I press F and equip my gun again.

============

I've been thinking about this. A rather simple solution, I think as everything is tied to that damned E button.
At this point I'm willing to have two different melee modes. One is the old one and one is the new one. And give us the option to hold down F and go back to equipping our melee weapon via the old system.

I will unbind the new one on E and bind the old one to E.
I'll rebind the new melee system to some other button instead, one that I'll never use.

If you only want to use a melee weapon... then only equip a melee weapon. You’re gonna miss out on all of those instant condition overload set ups. Melee striking to apply multiple procs is a lot slower than a shot from a status shotgun. It even makes full crit weapons condition overload viable, and that’s including exalted weapons. I welcome this change.

I have to agree with dragnhuntr666 here. I really feel that the new system is an improvement. Before this i used melee exclusively now i mostly melee but i pop a shot or two every now and then, go back to my combo, pop another shot, etc. This system basically sais "you allways have melle out" if you treat it that way you can get used to it faster. Now, the only gripe i have with it is the channelling, i never know when the damn thing is on. Otherwise love the new (half?) system. Don't use legacy controls though, might not work so well with those.

40 minutes ago, Rabbio said:

This update was certainly jarring as a new player that was loving melee 2.0, and doesn't know what was wrong with it. I hate fps games, because my pixel hunting aim is terrible. I quickly picked up a polearm and giddily murdered everything with it. Each mission would have a quick tap of 'C' to get me into melee mode and off I went. If I needed a gun, I was fine to tap it again to switch modes and fire at a camera. I controlled my mode manually, and never had to question what weapon a left click would use.

My issue is that there is no melee mode now, and the game thinks it knows what I want to use more than I do. I'm still getting used to the loss of melee glide. I constantly have to check if my weapons swapped because I turned in a power cell, or glided, or any other random thing that seems to swap now.

I get it, most people don't like locking modes and think it's clunky to be required to press a key before weapons change. I find it clunky to memorize what specific actions swap to what now, and hit extra keys to stay using the weapon I already was using.

My biggest fear is when the legacy tagged option to left click melee gets removed. I feel it won't stick around forever since modes are a thing of the past and keybinds already don't overlap anymore.

Edit: Forgot about channeling. I have to rely on the sound difference since it's a toggle now instead of optional hold. I used it to burn priority targets in a few hits, and toggle always felt clunky to me. I make sure to spend extra time now whenever I touch channeling so it turns off properly. The glow is so nearly unnoticeable, and no UI prompt says it's on. Thankfully I'm not deaf and the sound changes drastically.

If they completely remove the ability to choose how to play the game (by removing our ability to assign specific keybinds to specific melee actions like attack, block, etc.), then I'm done with the game. I don't play this game for it's guns. I think the gunplay in Warframe is awful. If they attempt to force guns on players by making sure we can't use melee outside of how they want us to use it, then I'll no longer give DE my money or my time, because at that point, WF won't be worth playing to me.

Edited by A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n

7 hours ago, uAir said:

If I want to swap into melee I have to press a different button than my "swap weapons" button. And it couples that swap with an attack which eats up animation frames and just makes it clunky. I'm trying to pull out my redeemer, not fire it at some random point on the screen when I'm not even aiming at anything.

So basically... you just want the aesthetic option to manually switch to melee... 

7 hours ago, uAir said:

Please have an option to go back to the old system.

This is something I can agree with.  I want for them to have an option in gameplay settings to enable a hold-swap-button-to-equip-melee.

38 minutes ago, dragnhuntr666 said:

For those that are complaining about making the game EASIER, I say SHUT UP! The devs have gone OUT OF THEIR WAY to make the game faster and more seamless to play FOR EVERYONE and all you want to do is complain that now you just hit one button instead of pressing 3 buttons.

If you want to glide with a melee weapon, then just do it. then when you want to melee again, just do it. It's that damn simple. 

You want to melee only? THEN JUST MELEE!

You want to use scanner then defend yourself with melee, then use the scanner, then melee, then go right back to the scanner. SEAMLESS.

You want to go the entire mission in only melee with a pistol as a back up? Then just do it!

What point in this update does SEAMLESS mean? It means just that. LESS BUTTON PRESSES TO DO THE SAME DAMN THING YOU WERE ALREADY DOING.

Be fortunate that DE isn't some other BS game company like PWE, or EA where they would charge you to change your settings.

Melee is broken friend, no block, no glide not even exclusive selection on the fly, there is no melee. we CAN'T even if we wanted to.

Edited by SilviaS12
addendum
  • Like 1