Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Grenades?

CombatantFrost4

Ah, yes good ol' grenades. But hear me out.

Maybe they can be a whole new weapon category? We have Primary, Secondary, Melee, Companion, and we can probably fit grenade into some 'Utility' slot or something. My idea is that these grenades can be modded like a normal weapon. The Grineer and Corpus have their own grenades, and I was wondering whether we can use them like a weapon. 

Could be game-breaking, but if anyone got any objections, suggestions, ideas and criticism, feel free to slap some of those here.

• Like 2

A thrown secondary that is basically a grenade could work actually. We already have remotely detonable traps, but no real grenades for secondaries for now.

Just now, George_PPS said:

There are already some weapons with grenades and such mechanics. Tonkor and Castanas work this way. But yes there can be more and maybe new mechanics that are derivatives of how grenades work. 

Gonna add something to that post : the niche Tonkor used to fill (basically a grenade that really acts like one) actually doesn't exist anymore since the Tonkor now explodes on contact with any surface. This means that the niche of having bouncing projectiles exploding after a short fuse (like the Demoman's pipe launcher in TF2 or the Quake Grenade Launcher) is available (Penta doesn't count since projectiles are remotely detonated).

I might be wrong, but I remember someone brought up this topic during one of the earlier devstreams. Scott replied by saying something along the lines of "Well we have grenades as abilities of Vauban", he wasn't enthusiastic about the idea of adding legit grenades as a weapon type.

But as other users mentioned, we have stuff like Castanas already, so anything can happen. And they were never mentioned ever since.

16 minutes ago, Stonehenge said:

When ??

Way, waaay back, like, single-digit devstreams. Essentially, the question was "should grenades be gear items" and the answer was a firm no. Further, warframe powers already filled the role grenades do as a way of supplementing your gunplay.

Nowadays, they'd make a nice secondary option (we don't have any Grineer throwing weapons and they'd be a perfect fit for that niche, serving as a counterpart to the Staticor, in the same fashion the Kulstar does to the Angstrum). Oh, and they should absolutely self-damage.

I want grenades and throwables. Block an area with a pop up ice wall or create ur own shield to hide from. Different types of damage grenades like electricity fire and toxic sludge. Would be fun to add some more strategy into the game. Give frames with lower survivability a chance to compete in different modes. It’s a way to give powers from one frame to another like volts shields to zephyr.  Have a game mode that rewards skill intelligence and quickness over killing (don’t get me wrong I love killing but mix it up). See what builds and uses people can come up with. 

I would say if we were to get Grenades, they'd have to be part of Vauban's rework.

Change his 1 to have four types of grenades (Tesla would need a rework in itself to be more effective, perhaps zapping X enemies within Y meters of the Tesla?), such as a Frag (Blast and Slash damage with high proc chances for both), Gas (Obviously a lingering gas cloud that can cause gas procs on enemies), Mini-Nuke (High damage with a lingering Radiation zone with guaranteed radiation procs on enemies that enter).

As far as actual weapons/gear, I'd say we could use more explosive primaries and secondaries, but not hand grenades. Possibly a cut-down Tonkor and/or a pair of sawed-off Tonkor as a secondary. Perhaps a rocket/missile launcher Arch-gun with a lock-on based alternate mode. Maybe a gyrojet/mini-rocket rifle with a low magazine size and moderate rate of fire even?