Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Garuda's place

TheInternetGuy

I know classifying warframes by category can be tricky. Some are tanks but not really. Some were made for jack of all trades ends up being a nuke but I'm really trying to figure out Garuda.

I picked up Garuda since she appears to have a risky play style needing planning to be effective yet tanky while remaining flexibility but I found I've been stuck on casting her abilities to stay in the game and avoid bullets. I think she's a good support applying bleeds on tanky enemies but the setup for it seems to take a little too long for the game's pace to be consistent and dependent.

What do you think Garuda is good at?

Outside of Eso she doesn't really need to charge her Talons. Other than that, she's not pure caster.

I play her close in style to the Death Knight from WoW. Largely reliant on abilities for buff, debuff and defense, but damage comes from weapons mostly, apart from that one occasional ability (in this case Dread Heart). In essence I weave all of her 5 skills around her inbuilt talons and she's like a more interactive Valkyr.

Almost everyone who play her as a pure support/caster have said that her kit is either slow or is missing something.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ver1dian said:

Outside of Eso she doesn't really need to charge her Talons. Other than that, she's not pure caster.

I play her close in style to the Death Knight from WoW. Largely reliant on abilities for buff, debuff and defense, but damage comes from weapons mostly, apart from that one occasional ability (in this case Dread Heart). In essence I weave all of her 5 skills around her inbuilt talons and she's like a more interactive Valkyr.

Almost everyone who play her as a pure support/caster have said that her kit is either slow or is missing something.

Have not taken her to ESO yet.See if she's good at farming there.

Have not played WoW but that definitely sounds like Garuda. I did get to play with Valkyr on my girlfriend's account. In terms of speed and reliability, Valkyr definitely trumps her even without hysteria.

Garuda is definitely fun to play albeit with a wonky kit.

Just now, TheInternetGuy said:

Have not taken her to ESO yet.See if she's good at farming there.

Have not played WoW but that definitely sounds like Garuda. I did get to play with Valkyr on my girlfriend's account. In terms of speed and reliability, Valkyr definitely trumps her even without hysteria.

Garuda is definitely fun to play albeit with a wonky kit.

The difference is that Valkyr is a pure melee frame. She has that one thing and nothing else so naturally she's better at it. Garuda on the other hand has it all, but you also have to use it. The moment you manage to see her kit as a blend of a caster and a fighter, then she starts to shine. She feels like she's made to switch between different weapons and skills on the go and no other frame has left me with that feel of fluidity to such an extent.

52 minutes ago, Ver1dian said:

The difference is that Valkyr is a pure melee frame. She has that one thing and nothing else so naturally she's better at it. Garuda on the other hand has it all, but you also have to use it. The moment you manage to see her kit as a blend of a caster and a fighter, then she starts to shine. She feels like she's made to switch between different weapons and skills on the go and no other frame has left me with that feel of fluidity to such an extent.

Like a battle mage of sorts? Hmm... that's an interesting take on her. Thank you 🙂

1 minute ago, TheInternetGuy said:

Like a battle mage of sorts? Hmm... that's an interesting take on her. Thank you 🙂

Exactly.

For example, I myself use her with Rubico P and Staticor, so I jump around with 1 in melee most of the time, I see a big group, I use the Staticor, maybe snipe some high priority target far away and lets say I encounter a group of eximus (or a syndicate invasion), 4+1 and continue, all while using 2 and 3 when I feel I need to or I can help a team mate.

To me, she's in the same corner as Excalibur: mannequin.

Her skills are usually lagging behind the combat situation and are widely irrelevant. By the time she's set up her deadly abilities, the enemy's usually dead already.

For that reason, she probably is best for point defense missions as damage/heal support.

Role: Blood Battlemage with the bad habit of worse timing.

Garuda is a blood mage. To play Garuda, you need to understand that health and energy are the same pool. Health is energy, energy is health. You want to spend time on very low health to get as much bonus out of the passive as you can, or spam 3 inside a bunch of spikey bois (depending on the situation).

49 minutes ago, Iamabearlulz said:

Garuda is a blood mage. To play Garuda, you need to understand that health and energy are the same pool. Health is energy, energy is health. You want to spend time on very low health to get as much bonus out of the passive as you can, or spam 3 inside a bunch of spikey bois (depending on the situation).

The thing is its mandatory to have quick thinking or/and gladiator finesse on her to take advantage of her passive and while near spikey boys, the lower the health, the better the healing. Her passive is terrible imo. I hardly notice or even bother using it. I may not be as skilled on using her but having mods required to use her passive (unless I want to die trying without the mods) makes it a terrible passive. It would be a good ability but a terrible passive.

Like Ash, Banshee, Mag, Octavia, Irava and a few other frames, she's great against high level armored units. At low and mid levels, there are more efficient frames, but she shines brightly against high level content and during endless runs. And like Banshee, she requires a little skill to play well.

Edited by (PS4)Radehx
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Ver1dian said:

This sounds a lot like how I use her.  I slapped all the Umbra Mods on just for lulz, and play her like self healing melee killing machine.  She synergizes very well with both Healing Return and Condition Overload on her Claws. 

I've found that she works extremely well in Excavation and Defense type missions due to her Blood Altar.  She's still not my favorite frame, but she's getting close.  

5 hours ago, (PS4)Radehx said:

Like Ash, Banshee, Mag, Octavia, Irava and a few other frames, she's great against high level armored units. At low and mid levels, there are more efficient frames, but she shines brightly against high level content and during endless runs. And like Banshee, she requires a little skill to play well.

^^^

Even at very high levels

Edited by GPrime96
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

All I know is that her passive is severely overrated. It is simpler to just build her as a real tank with dread mirror and her altar as gap closers. #4 is useful on bosses or higher enemies where you need scaling damage.

I'm not even sure why they'd make a passive like hers. Sure she has an ability to take her to half health and an ability to block all frontal damage, but this is a horde shooter where you'll be getting shot from all sides, so actually trying to make use of her passive will just get you killed.