Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Discussion on Wukong Deluxe

SnoozecoopYT

Why do i get the feeling after seeing the Dev stream Wukongs delux skin is gonna be another overly shiny/metal and hard to color nightmare again... like Nidus Delux, Ocatavia, Mag, Atlas, Mesa, Vauban etc

Its got that metalic under trim to it that was on Nidus Delux and the Helminth skin and frankly it was impossible to get that to work well. Can we have more Nekros, Ne Zha, Nova, Nyx Delux skins where it isnt all metal chrome and impossible to color right or match with your attachments and syandana because the color slots are all over the place and not matched up to have cohesion between them.

The guy that does the metallic fetish delux skins has to realize they need to be made to work with more than just the colors in his concept art.

Edited by ColPresumptuous

On 2019-07-07 at 9:45 PM, SnoozecoopYT said:

Hello just wanted to ask when will the Wukong Deluxe Skin be released. They showed some Concept Art on Tennocon but no Wukong Deluxe Skin. Maybe next week? Thanks.

--------------------

https://www.warframe.com/news/devstream-129-overview

I think they literally said in the devstream that they where wanting to release it next week. So hold your horses. It'll be here imminently 

27 minutes ago, Xepthrichros said:

And you are going to tell the Chinese they are wrong in their understanding of their own culture?

Oh grow up.

You know full well I didn't suggest that, but you want to strawman anyway and make a big deal about this.

35 minutes ago, Xepthrichros said:

And you are going to tell the Chinese they are wrong in their understanding of their own culture?

Anyone can adapt/reimagine anyone/thing/deity as any shape/form. It's an important part of storytelling, to add interesting and new perspectives that otherwise could not be depicted. Though you've completely derailed that topic of discussion by fault of misunderstanding the word "adaptation"

44 minutes ago, Ryden said:

Anyone can adapt/reimagine anyone/thing/deity as any shape/form. It's an important part of storytelling, to add interesting and new perspectives that otherwise could not be depicted. Though you've completely derailed that topic of discussion by fault of misunderstanding the word "adaptation"

Yeah, anyone in Hollywood can make a crappy adaptation of Dragon Ball, and look at it. Flop. Didn't respect source material. There. I derailed it further for you. And yet relevant to this topic, if you have any basic understanding of context.

There's nothing wrong with my understanding of adaptation. I'd rather refer to an adaptation of a story based on the culture it is from, i.e. Chinese film makers and artists on Chinese character Wukong. Than some people who just read the word "rock" and decided to go literal. And it might have been fine if what they presented at the devstream looked nice but it is clearly inferior to what the Chinese adaptations have done with it and even their previous non-prime and prime skin. Plus that texture is going to be fashion frame unfriendly as that rock texture looks bad with many armor sets, like the Atlas Deluxe who came before it.

4 minutes ago, Xepthrichros said:

Yeah, anyone in Hollywood can make a crappy adaptation of Dragon Ball, and look at it. 

You know Dragon Ball is an adaptation of Journey to the West, right?

Absolutely doesn't respect the source material either, given Goku isn't a Monkey, but it's still loosely based on it.

1 hour ago, Ryden said:

Agree. Just look at how Japan adapts/re-imagines their own culture stuff. Kappa

Edited by yles9056

6 minutes ago, Ryden said:

They do, though. I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not

Partially sarcastic, and partially serious.

Sorry about the confusion. 😛

But I think it's totally fine to adapt or re-imagine how Wukong looks because he is just a fictional character from a novel.

Edited by yles9056

2 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

You know Dragon Ball is an adaptation of Journey to the West, right?

Absolutely doesn't respect the source material either, given Goku isn't a Monkey, but it's still loosely based on it.

Thanks for stating the obvious.

The point here is some adaptations are better than others, and this deluxe skin is not in the better category. Dragon ball manga? Good. Dragon ball Hollywood movie? Not good. Wukong original and prime skin? Good (coincidentally both of these were more faithful to the Chinese presentation). Wukong deluxe. Not so much - in particular the devstream build of it. The hand drawn concept looked better.

But sure. I know you will buy it when it comes. Make some amazing fashion frame of this wukong deluxe skin paired with armor sets that are not part of the wukong deluxe skin bundle and share it. If you find something tasteful, I may change my mind. If not, this remains in the bad category. With those asymmetric rock textures that don't mesh well with the aesthetic of the other armor sets in the game

41 minutes ago, Xepthrichros said:

The point here is some adaptations are better than others, and this deluxe skin is not in the better category

Nice try, but no, the point here is this.

14 hours ago, Xepthrichros said:

I've watched Chinese adaptations of Wukong and they don't depict rock literally. He's covered in hair or skin. They also show him wearing armor (that looks much like his non-prime). Armor is metal. He doesn't fight his wars naked and furless and as a skinny Ben Grimm - which is basically what the new deluxe skin is. A naked skinny Ben Grimm monkey, or Atlas' cousin. 

You stated here that adaptations you have seen don't depict the rock literally in response to the statement that Wukong was actually a stone monkey. Thereby suggesting, "it doesn't matter what the book says, the adaptations I have seen don't show rock".

In response to this I quoted the bit where you said "i've seen adaptations" and pointed out to you that those are adaptations, not literal translations of the book in video form. Adaptations do not have to be true to the source material, so the fact that you haven't seen an adaptation in which Wukong is actually made of stone is irrelevant.

The value of an adaptation is not something we have been arguing here.