Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Discussion on Wukong Deluxe

SnoozecoopYT

• 2 weeks later...

Screenshot-20190726-174905-You-Tube.jpgScreenshot-20190726-174852-You-Tube.jpg

What happened to this look? It seems like the 3D model stayed true to the concept art in this first look, yet today's Wukong deluxe looks like he's made of stone, among other obvious aesthetic differences. He doesn't look terribly bad, but he definitely falls short of expectations, especially given that there did appear to be a fully realized sculpt of the concept art. I would understand taking liberties with the design if the intricacies of the concept proved to be too challenging to adapt to the game, but this just seemed like an artistic decision to deviate from the pre-established version. Creative freedom is nice, but not so much when you've already created hype/expectations.

I sincerely hope, and beg, that this doesn't happen with Excal's upcoming deluxe skin, as far off as that might be. Please stay true and consistent to the concept art, as was the case with recent releases; namely nidus deluxe, atlas deluxe.

Edited by Ryden
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ryden said:

Screenshot-20190726-174905-You-Tube.jpgScreenshot-20190726-174852-You-Tube.jpg

What happened to this look? It seems like the 3D model stayed true to the concept art in this first look, yet today's Wukong deluxe looks like he's made of stone, among other obvious aesthetic differences. He doesn't look terribly bad, but he definitely falls short of expectations, especially given that there did appear to be a fully realized sculpt of the concept art. I would understand taking liberties with the design if the intricacies of the concept proved to be too challenging to adapt to the game, but this just seemed like an artistic decision to deviate from the pre-established version. Creative freedom is nice, but not so much when you've already created hype/expectations.

I sincerely hope, and beg, that this doesn't happen with Excal's upcoming deluxe skin, as far off as that might be. Please stay true and consistent to the concept art, as was the case with recent releases; namely nidus deluxe, atlas deluxe.

So start rattling the cage!  My guess is that the pointy bits became an armor set.  We shall see.

Too bad his hair isn’t quite the same as the concept...I’d like that or flowing fire.

10 minutes ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

So start rattling the cage!  My guess is that the pointy bits became an armor set.  We shall see.

Too bad his hair isn’t quite the same as the concept...I’d like that or flowing fire.

Genuinely just inquiring for some insight on the decision and voicing some valid concern, I'd argue. Not trying to boycott deluxe skins or anything 😉 Though it might be possible that the removed bits might be an armor set, these sorts of things are usually showcased as 'the whole' and later revealed to be optional add-ons. Still does not explain the difference in bodysuit textures, either. Very curious

Edited by Ryden

There was a comment about not showing the armor with wukong so it's possible. 

Having said that I can't say I envisaged the 'body' being basically a 'rocky' texture or at best similar to nidus deluxe sort of texture...

Just now, SmilingMad said:

In the concept art it was already apparent his body was going to be made of stone, considering its roughly-hewn appearance.

The current rendition is considerably different from the implied stone-like textures of the concept art and early sculpt, that's undeniable 

I heard Geoff at 01:05:00 on the devstream say that Ray said "Rebecca is missing the shoulder armor on Wukong Deluxe" and that Ray is very upset.

So its likely it wasn't in the exact Dev build Rebecca was using on the devstream but will be in the final version that we get.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

There was a comment about not showing the armor with wukong so it's possible. 

Having said that I can't say I envisaged the 'body' being basically a 'rocky' texture or at best similar to nidus deluxe sort of texture...

My thoughts exactly; it's just a matter of expectations vs reality. There's controversy around this skin because this finalized rocky rendition is simply disappointing 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NovusNova said:

I heard Geoff at 01:05:00 on the devstream say that Ray said "Rebecca is missing the shoulder armor on Wukong Deluxe" and that Ray is very upset.

So its likely it wasn't in the exact Dev build Rebecca was using on the devstream but will be in the final version that we get.

I missed that bit, definitely good to know

21 minutes ago, Ryden said:

My thoughts exactly; it's just a matter of expectations vs reality. There's controversy around this skin because this finalized rocky rendition is simply disappointing 

I get to work with this type of concept art a fair bit so when I saw the original concept I was thinking the texture would be somewhere between a 'leather' and 'lava' type of texture, not this 'metallic rock' ala nidus deluxe. 

2 hours ago, Ryden said:

yet today's Wukong deluxe looks like he's made of stone

2 hours ago, LSG501 said:

Having said that I can't say I envisaged the 'body' being basically a 'rocky' texture

Wukong was literally made out of stone, the intention from the very beginning was, presumably, for the Deluxe to build on that.

Whilst I can understand the surprise, knowing this I was never under the impression he would look like anything different, and I don't believe DE intended to give off a different impression. The difference between the concept and the shown skin is not all that different.

4 hours ago, MacKerris said:

Al I know is that I was planning on buying it. But after what I saw today, I doubt I will.

Same. I was more hyped for that skin then I was for Nezha's deluxe skin, which I purchased immediately upon obtaining Nezha. But after what I saw today, if this is the final build, there is no way I'm buying it. The early sculpt looked like the coolest thing (aesthetically) I've ever seen in Warframe, but this more final rendition is completely hideous. It's just really ugly. Like, the complete opposite of what it was. I'm unbelievably disappointed.

Edited by (NSW)FlameDivinity