Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

please warn us about sizes of updates before hand

yilmazdurmaz

hi DEs,

let it either be slow networks or phone data, any new update means a panic for players in these categories.

slow networks takes really long to get the update so the fun is cut half and maybe the plans these players have at that time slot.

phone data users mostly get the updates fast, but the problem is the total quota they have.

instead of warning players just T-5 minutes, you may try to warn about possible outcomes towards the end of your fixing process. or even delay the updates like T-15 instead of T-5.

besides the timing, it would be really, reeeaaally, nice to know the size of total update (launcher, assets, and hidden/unnamed extras) before we hit that "quit" button, so that we may say "be back in a minute" or "farewell, see you next week/month" to our friends and clanmates etc.

27 minutes ago, Oreades said:

And knowing the size ahead of time will change anything? 

so, you know nothing about slow networks and phone data. or at least you didn't read the last sentence. please be sure to understand the topic before writing a comment

3 minutes ago, yilmazdurmaz said:

so, you know nothing about slow networks and phone data. or at least you didn't read the last sentence. 

Oh I'm very aware of how crappy ISPs and bad phone plans work. Maybe that's why I know that knowing the size of the update ahead of time doesn't change either of those things.

Either way you are going to be locked out of the game until you update and you only have two options and those are to restart your game or to restart your game. Cause you can't start any new missions and the game is going to kick you out in 15 minutes after the update anyhow. Knowing the size of the update doesn't change either of those things. 

As far as letting your friends know "hey brb" or "Hey my ISP is terrible and I'd exceed my data cap if I downloaded this patch", they're gonna know that when you try to load up the Launcher, >>>the launcehr tells you the size of the download<<< where in which you nope out and shoot them a message over discord. I'm also going to assume that your friends/clanmates know about your situation and are smart enough to put two and two together when they look at the size of their own download(s) even if you didn't tell them. 

Plus if you're not in the game, and you don't see the download "warning" that again doesn't change anything when you go to fire up the game when you get home and, whelp there was an update while you where away, which you can either handle or you can't based on what >>>the launcehr tells you the size of the download<<<.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Oreades said:

you satisfied? if not , go find somewhere else, because this post is not for you satisfaction.

or you can just stop acting. the sentence you quoted is still true, because otherwise you wouldn't try to tell me those things.

with phone data, I play solo with daily average of 3 hours ~20MB and every new update has at least that size of fixed download without the update itself. launcher itself updates first ~10MB and then "checking new content" eats ~30MB, only then update itself comes.

and more to that, in just 2 hours, I lost ~150MB of data to two updates. more than  a week's worth of play time lost only to updates. 

besides, I don't communicate anyone outside the game. try to think out-of-the-box before you even attempt to think to write an answer to posts.

29 minutes ago, yilmazdurmaz said:

you satisfied? if not , go find somewhere else, because this post is not for you satisfaction.

or you can just stop acting. the sentence you quoted is still true, because otherwise you wouldn't try to tell me those things.

with phone data, I play solo with daily average of 3 hours ~20MB and every new update has at least that size of fixed download without the update itself. launcher itself updates first ~10MB and then "checking new content" eats ~30MB, only then update itself comes.

and more to that, in just 2 hours, I lost ~150MB of data to two updates. more than  a week's worth of play time lost only to updates. 

besides, I don't communicate anyone outside the game. try to think out-of-the-box before you even attempt to think to write an answer to posts.

He gave a similar answer to what I would say.  Facts are facts and there are several ways to find out what the size will be and many ways of communicating why you wont be on for a certain amount of time or whatever else.  

You get a good answer you dont totally like but its the truth.  If you are offended thats your problem.

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, (PS4)boilerhogbc said:

there are several ways to find out what the size will be and many ways of communicating why you wont be on for a certain amount of time or whatever else.

I will tell you the same : "I don't communicate anyone outside the game. try to think out-of-the-box before you even attempt to think to write an answer to posts".

and by the first comment you wrote, you don't seem to play daily, nor I don't think PS4 gets updates so often as PC does. did you know we just get 2 updates within 2 hours with about 150MB in size?

19 minutes ago, yilmazdurmaz said:

I will tell you the same : "I don't communicate anyone outside the game. try to think out-of-the-box before you even attempt to think to write an answer to posts".

and by the first comment you wrote, you don't seem to play daily, nor I don't think PS4 gets updates so often as PC does. did you know we just get 2 updates within 2 hours with about 150MB in size?

And we're looking at a third because it doesn't sound like that update fixed the issue with Arcanes that the first update caused. Or maybe it did, my Arcanes seem to be fine, Who knows. 

The issue here is that you are dealing with an ISP/Dataplan that has you fretting over pre-patch validation files that skyrocket into the tens of megs. For a game that regularly has updates that on the low end push into the hundreds if not outright gigs, on a platform that regularly has multiple iterative hotfixes following those updates like aftershocks. 

Your solution for which is that they should redtext the upcoming patch size. Which only covers people who are currently in the game and does not alter your situation, which is why they don't do it. Even then it would be best guess because they don't know what hotfixes might be following. Where as the launcher telling you how big the patch is going to cover everyone because everyone needs to run the launcher. Most people probably don't even see RedText on a regular basis outside of reading the patch notes in the event that someone screenshotted the redtext and posted it. 

So the logical course of action would be to suggest that they make changes to the launcher. Tho it is always going to update the validation files because it needs to know what files you have that need updating and what files you just don't have. 

Changes like an option for metered internet so it will first display the current download size and give you a prompt so you can tell the game if you can continue. As well as built in download throttling cause not everyone wants to/can dedicate the whole of their bandwidth to the launcher. 

When it comes to your Warframe friends/clanmates, either explain your situation to them in game so they know if you ever don't come back after a patch that you've most likely hit your cap and or find alternative methods of communication in the event that you find yourself unable to patch for cap/tier reasons. Tho if you don't communicate outside of the game I can't imagine a slightly protracted absence would be of high importance, course if a patch hits and no ones on you aren't telling anyone in game anyhow.

Or you can keep being super aggro to everyone about your internet.

On 2019-08-03 at 3:51 AM, (PS4)boilerhogbc said:

Already did scrubby mcscrub pants.  
When you see this image you can either keep downloading or Alt F4 it instantly

still the same, the difference is you just lie yourself this time. what part did you not understand of this sentence: "before we hit that "quit" button" ??

On 2019-08-03 at 4:31 AM, Oreades said:

Or you can keep being super aggro to everyone about your internet.

at least you got some meaning until this line. If you don't agree to a post, either be meaningful, or don't mock the OP. if you choose to mock, then expect reaction.

I clearly stated about having a knowledge of the size of update BEFORE quitting the game in the 15 minutes of after-update interval, with a decision tree example. If you don't agree with a suggestion in a post, then leave your opinions in clear sentences, or just leave it alone.

first off....everyone whos commented on your post has been trying to be kind to you but for some reason the moment a sensible sentence comes up; what help will knowing the download sizes of updates do for you? you go ballistic as if youre being bullied....

If youre using mobile data to download updates, dont have too much of it to even download updates, then why are you treating it as if DE and everyone else whos commenting is at fault? if anything you brought this on yourself for not checking beforehand....you dont have to make friends or even DM someone personally to get information...and it only takes kilobytes of data to get what youre looking for...and theres the QUIT or Alt+F4 function...its saved many peoples ass before....and for download sizes being stated the game already tells you that...you see the full size before the update begins...its standard for most MMO's with a launcher, they tell you the size before updating so the least you can do with Warframe is pay attention for one second when the update finishes loading before it downloads...

Really you start this thread "to make a point" but youre sounding like an over-aggressive &#036;&amp;*^ at this point....why did you even feel the need to do this?

• Like 4

All updates for Warframe are realease as-and-when they are able to update. This is due to it needing to span multiple countries and time zones.

DE have a literal global service to update you to, somebody like you will be put out no matter what time they update, so it doesn't matter when they drop the update, it's convenient for some time zones and inconvenient for others. Many times there may be bugs that are on an older build that will cause worse problems if you try to play games with players on a newer build, so they can't let you actually continue playing in case somebody else has updated and your version of the game is incompatible.

Because of that, regardless of the size of the update, in most cases DE actively block you from starting new missions once an update has been deployed and force you to log out after 15 minutes once you've finished the latest mission you were in.

And as a final point, when the update drops, the game itself would need to Update in order to tell you, in game, what the size of the new update is. Which is a problem, because for most cases you would need to log out to actually update it in order for the update about the size to register. The closest form of a warning that you would get on the size of the update is the News post they put on the site, which does register in game after they post it and after the game has had time to check for it (which it doesn't always do because you're receiving warnings that you need to update) up to an hour after the update has released. And they don't do News posts for the incremental updates to a larger up date unless they contain something more important.

Knowing these, all combined, it literally makes no difference to your convenience what the size of the update is or when it is dropped. You wouldn't be able to receive an in-game notification of the update size, because that in itself is often an update the game might not be able to give you until you actually update, you would still need to log out, start the Launcher again and then be given the size of the update by the Launcher. Or you would need to wait, in a state of not being able to play the game, until somebody else logged out, updated, and told you the size of it themselves.

DE do everything they can to make updating as easy as possible for the vast majority of people their game reaches.

You are inconvenienced by it due to your circumstances, and that is regrettable, I do honestly feel bad for you.

However, your request is both difficult to accomplish due to the basic way that a global live game has to be updated, and also not going to actually make anything different for you. You will still have to log out at an inconvenient time for you, and you will still have to download an arbitrary amount of data based on how much is being updated this time.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Even when I talked with numbers here, people comes with argues and objections instead of arguable discussions. That only shows how difficult and speculative it is to find an information around. 

Everyone talks about "launcher shows the size" but none of them mentions about the extras I wrote in the first post. I say "Even 1Kb update can cost 50MB download" and they continue saying "launcher shows". I also asked for a better way before leaving the game, all I got back is "you learn when you leave". Is it not the time to stop blind-replying posts and start reading a bit mindful?

DEs are the gods of this game, and it is all natural to ask on such a topic that has this many speculation on it. Instead of speculating the sizes, they can "estimate" that and can easily "reflect" it in-game. This is not as hard as trying to fix the game.

On 2019-08-02 at 3:11 PM, yilmazdurmaz said:

besides the timing, it would be really, reeeaaally, nice to know the size of total update (launcher, assets, and hidden/unnamed extras) before we hit that "quit" button, so that we may say "be back in a minute" or "farewell, see you next week/month" to our friends and clanmates etc

Lol it doesn't matter the update size. Just to say see you in a month? 

Whether or not you know the size won't affect anything. (But nooo you'll totally get kicked from your clan from not informing them of your few hour disappearance for #&$! internet...

No you don't need to know update sizes. But if you knew how to use steam, you'd be able to figure it out on the update launch if you are even ingame... 

Also who tha fack uses data to update?

what happens if they do tell you in advance by some means what the data required is? 

Do you purchase that much data on your plan?

Just inform your friends that you won't be able to play? 

Stop playing until magically the data is made available? 

I am sorry I do not see how these changes would benefit you, could you elaborate on it in detail. 

10 hours ago, yilmazdurmaz said:

Even when I talked with numbers here, people comes with argues and objections instead of arguable discussions.

Well, there's your problem, you're not reading the longer comments. Because I know, I checked, that I left a long comment discussing the fact that your request won't actually solve anything for you.

It's not an objection, it's an objective set of points on how you knowing the size of the download before hand won't change the size of the download.

You knowing it beforehand won't change the fact that you have to log out at a bad time, because DE still make you log out within 15 minutes and don't let you start new missions after you've finished the one you're in once the update is deployed.

You knowing it beforehand won't, in any way, make your internet better.

So your request, from an objective and factual point of view, will not solve any of your problems. Try something else.

I'm locking this thread because the discussion appears to be running in circles.

I would like to point out that in our requirements for the game we do have the following:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo e6400 or AMD Athlon x64 4000+ (~2.2Ghz dual core CPU)
Video: DirectX 10+ capable Graphics Card.
Memory: 4 GB RAM.
Storage: 30 GB available HD space.
Internet: Broadband Internet Connection.

I bolded the part I feel is relevant.

Not everyone has access to readily available broadband, I understand that. Some people may even have data plan limits. We do our very best to keep download sizes to as small as we can manage, especially for those on console markets, but ultimately that does not change when the final build is ready. Knowing how big an update is will not change the fact that it is a required download to play the game and eventually you will end up having to pay data charges if that is what your ISP provides.

• Like 1