The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gauss is not a better Volt. He's a better Valkyr (From a former Valkyr main)

Jarriaga

11 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

Gauss is one of the better frames to build for melee. Good attack speed, nice extra melee damage, great CC and he is very durable versus the right factions. If he faces the wrong faction he can always freeze them. My only gripe with him that kinda makes me not play him is the need for Mach Rush to build redline effectively.

I still prefer Frost, Wukong, Hildryn, Oberon, Inaros and Revenant as my melee heavy frames.

hmm.....i would dare to say Wisp is a really good meele frame aswell, run a heal build on her, and shes near immortal, got cc and can teleport aswell. Wukong is really good option aswell

7 hours ago, Jarriaga said:

Some frames have similar abilities. You can compare Frost globe to Gara wall for example. But what about the rest of their kits? 

Very well let's do a comparison 

7 hours ago, Jarriaga said:

Does Frost have a Shattered Lash equivalent or a Splinter Storm Equivalent? 

Lets see frosts 1 shoots a single projectile in front of him, his 2 makes a wave that covers an area in front of him, not dissimilar from shattered Lash. 

His icy Avalanche augment give coating that absorbs damage, not exactly the same as damage reduction, but a damage mitigation ability nonetheless. 

8 hours ago, Jarriaga said:

Does Gara have an Avalanche equivalent as a wide-area nuke? 

Her 4+1 is a wide area nuke,

Garas 4 provides damage increase against enemies engulfed and holds them in place, 

Frosts 4 freezes enemies and reduces their armor.

Essentially providing the same effects not just as a nuke but also as utility. 

They are not comparable as whole kits because the similarities between Frost and Gara begin and end with Mass Vitrify and Snow Globe as area defense and nothing more. 

not sure you thought this though as an example of dissimilarities, the similarities are more than just the globe and walls. 

Gauss on the other hand overlaps with Valkyr so much that he feels like a straight upgrade.

That is probably more for your own specific playstyle that you find an improvement, as Valkyr is kinda in a "good enough but not great" place,

I'm pleasantly surprised, a well thought out thread with supporting arguments. A proverbial needle in the haystack indeed.

I haven't had a chance to test Gauss since his latest changes, but from what I've seen I might enjoy using him a great deal more.

14 hours ago, Xenox_Ilz-ot said:

Gauss is Gauss

Soon we'll have a "Gauss is a better Limbo" if this keeps going

Let's be real here what exactly is Limbos niche beyond being an unkillable solo god who has a few rules to follow? 

Any other frame that fits into a party setting does just as well as him if not better because players and team mates dont need to understand other CC frames kits to not rage at you. 

so the build for your valkyr happens to feel like the build you used for Gauss. That doesn't make the frames the same it makes you the same since you're doing the same thing. give you volt you'd likely focus on the speed buff for melee berserking again.

Also everything wanting duration doesn't make for a well balanced frame it makes a frame with less build options. just do the one build that works because any other choice is just plain stupid where Valkyr has a few options for building her not just Eternal War.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Yes-Man-Kablaam said:

so the build for your valkyr happens to feel like the build you used for Gauss. That doesn't make the frames the same it makes you the same since you're doing the same thing. give you volt you'd likely focus on the speed buff for melee berserking again.

Also everything wanting duration doesn't make for a well balanced frame it makes a frame with less build options. just do the one build that works because any other choice is just plain stupid where Valkyr has a few options for building her not just Eternal War.

I'm kind of curious, what would you say the various Valkyr builds are? I've never played her out of complete lack of interest, because from looking at her kit, it seems like the only real playstyles her kit encourages are "mash into the enemy with melee while not dying because of armor" and "mash into the enemy with exalted melee while not dying because of hysteria". From a non-player's perspective, it just feels like her build variety would still all revolve around pretty similar playstyles.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, makaloff95 said:

hmm.....i would dare to say Wisp is a really good meele frame aswell, run a heal build on her, and shes near immortal, got cc and can teleport aswell. Wukong is really good option aswell

Only thing that drives me away from Wisp is the need to revisit her motes and that you can only cast one at a time. If that mechanic was more smooth I'd play her alot more outside of defense missions. That is why I tend to go with Obe instead in most cases where I wanna fill a supporting role.