Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Which sword is best to use against enemies above level 20 - 30?

(PSN)Okamibanshu22

Question

So, don't let this fool you, i'm not like, upset/angry, just annoyed 😄 I REALLY love sword style weapons but i just cannot find a good sword that goes past roughtly 20-30 without me standing there whacking a dude forever and a day.

Anyone got some good recomendations for swords that can be used past 60 level enemies with high damage?

I mean, i see peopel just whack stuff and it dies o.O i have little to no i forget the name >< the mods you have to do a quest to unlock. But othewrise i have a CRAP ton o fnormal/gold etc mods for use. So, any suggestions?

i'm not against building a zaw if i have to, but i try to avoid heavy 2 handed weapons, i feel like you have to upgrade the attack speed to much to make them useful. That being said, if i can use it and do damage, i'll well, use it 😄

21 answers to this question

Galatine(prime or the normal one, doesn't matter too much for the levels you point), gram, broken war, paracesis, prisma skana...just about every sword works for that level now that I think about it, even the normal skana.
Like you said, you have to have all the mods, (primed, bloodrushy, condition overkill etc) and use them correctly to dish out the damage.
For even more damage there is steel charge, naramon to get it even further and some arcanes can help immensely.
Combine all that and put a nice riven on top and you have a wonderfull melee cake.

My suggestion is if you want the most of your sword build a zaw or the galatine/gram prime and look for some builds for each of them.There are many many variations so try each and find what is best for your playstyle(more critty, hybrid, status monster or some meme build)

Edited by vegetosayajin

il y a 42 minutes, (PS4)Okamibanshu22 a dit :

So, don't let this fool you, i'm not like, upset/angry, just annoyed 😄 I REALLY love sword style weapons but i just cannot find a good sword that goes past roughtly 20-30 without me standing there whacking a dude forever and a day. Anyone got some good recomendations for swords that can be used past 60 level enemies with high damage? I mean, i see peopel just whack stuff and it dies o.O i have little to no i forget the name >< the mods you have to do a quest to unlock. But othewrise i have a CRAP ton o fnormal/gold etc mods for use. So, any suggestions? i'm not against building a zaw if i have to, but i try to avoid heavy 2 handed weapons, i feel like you have to upgrade the attack speed to much to make them useful. That being said, if i can use it and do damage, i'll well, use it 😄

If you can't kill lvl 30, stop looking at the weapon, it's not the problem.

Your mods are the problem, because any weapon should be able to roll over lvl 40 with just basic damage mods maxed. Don't even worry about the crit and status combos, only upgrade your pressure point and +90 elem mods. 

Don't build a zaw, it won't solve anything. Do it later, when you know what's important in a melee weapon.

And stay far away from the +90 (iirc) physical damage mods (+ impact damage), as it is not worth the mod space at all, never.

There, your mk1 bo can clear the starchart now !

• Like 2

2 hours ago, (PS4)Okamibanshu22 said:

i'm not against building a zaw if i have to, but i try to avoid heavy 2 handed weapons

What makes you think that's the only option?

I have a critical cyath build (it's a polearm) that's big but real fast and amazing damage. It's my favorite zaw.

But I also have a nikana style zaw I really like using that's great as well. I even use a rapier zaw on Elite Sanctuary Onslaught with my Equinox. It's not ideal, but works well enough.

Edit builds:

Polearm cyath shtung vargeet 2 jai

Nikana sepfahn korb vargeet 2 jai 

Rapier dehtat korb ekwana 2 jai

Edit 2: nikana not nirvana lol 

Edited by RodrigoMoretto

12 hours ago, (PS4)Okamibanshu22 said:

So, don't let this fool you, i'm not like, upset/angry, just annoyed 😄 I REALLY love sword style weapons but i just cannot find a good sword that goes past roughtly 20-30 without me standing there whacking a dude forever and a day.

Anyone got some good recomendations for swords that can be used past 60 level enemies with high damage?

I mean, i see peopel just whack stuff and it dies o.O i have little to no i forget the name >< the mods you have to do a quest to unlock. But othewrise i have a CRAP ton o fnormal/gold etc mods for use. So, any suggestions?

i'm not against building a zaw if i have to, but i try to avoid heavy 2 handed weapons, i feel like you have to upgrade the attack speed to much to make them useful. That being said, if i can use it and do damage, i'll well, use it 😄

I am going to take a different approach to answer. Why not post a picture of the current build you have on your favorite sword and we can help you with the build. My guess is you are missing some mods, and probably an Orokin Catalyst and a forma or two.

In the meantime make sure you have Pressure Point, an Electric mod and a Toxin mod on the weapon and it should do fine.

Really though I level all sorts of weapons (including swords from rank 0 with just the very basic mods on it) in Hydron (Sedna) which has level 30-50 mobs in it and kill them no problem. Well Nox does take a few hits but everything else dies fast. The only weapons that really have problems here are some of the really crappy sidearms.

It would also be helpful if you would tell us your Mastery Rank so we can know what weapons you have access to.

Edited by No1NParticular31

12 hours ago, vegetosayajin said:

Galatine(prime or the normal one, doesn't matter too much for the levels you point), gram, broken war, paracesis, prisma skana...just about every sword works for that level now that I think about it, even the normal skana.
Like you said, you have to have all the mods, (primed, bloodrushy, condition overkill etc) and use them correctly to dish out the damage.
For even more damage there is steel charge, naramon to get it even further and some arcanes can help immensely.
Combine all that and put a nice riven on top and you have a wonderfull melee cake.

A couple of points.

First, Galatine, Gram, and Paracesis are not technically swords. They are "Heavy Blades" and will not behave the way the OP is probably expecting. They will likely feel slow and clunky if he is used how "swords" work.

Second, while I agree with the rest, if the OP is struggling to kill level 20 mobs, I doubt he has access to focus schools, arcanes, or rivens, and he is probably missing quite a bit of the more rare mods (bloodrush, condition overload, and probably most/all of the 60/60 mods). The good news is he shouldn't need them to clear the star chart. I really think we should see what he does have and how it's built to make solid recommendations.

12 hours ago, (PS4)Okamibanshu22 said:

Mods are your problem, not the weapon. I can kill lvl200 enemies with a Nikana and I don't need more than 12 hits for it...

... Or 3 hits, with Hate.

... Also, no Rivens.

i hear what yall are saying, but my damage doesn't play out the same. my weapons around level 30 just start being a hash fest. If i do the special attacks like slide or wall attack i can one shot teh basic minions but i just have to wail on people to kill anything above it gets old. I have decent mods on them, but i still can't figure out how to get arcanes. supposedly i have ot kill the big dudes on the plains? still can't kill one even with the 'build' for it sadly. Otherwise im doing the best i can. But my preferred weapon is the broken war, or the prime nikanda. if someone can suggest a build for either of those that would help a lot ^_^. i normaly just use damgae mods, and then increase puncture/slash/impact depending on whats highest so *shrugs* i just kinda suck at building peeps. Also, if anyone has a good build for Wisp, i'm not against that either 😄 I'm trying to get her to 200+ power with as high as i can get duration lol.

If you're looking for a good one-handed sword then best options per category are:

• Cyath Machette Zaw
  • NIkana Prime / Skiajati
  • Krohkur 1h Sword

There are conditions to each choice much like others have said requiring mods but further than that Machetes are worthless without the Cyclone Kraken stance, Condition Overload is a global improvement for most builds however you can build all these weapons as pure physical Bleed weapons but requires the Weeping Wound mod. So in most cases for an optimal build you'll need either Weeping Wounds or Condition Overload but for now I can show you a fairly low cost Nikana Prime build that should perform well.

http://warframe-builder.com/s/bce294f3e8fc83e4

If you don't have Blood Rush then you'll probably need to farm that as it's required in almost every melee build. It's also important to note if it hasn't been said already that melee is very binary right now. That is to say it entirely relies on your combo meter. If you don't use melee constantly then it's probably not worth using because your combo will drop. Also Broken War is just inferior to Krohkur. Sorry.

I prefer Blind Justice stance on Nikanas and Swooping Falcon on 1h swords but it's up to you. The stances are fairly competitive for those weapon types.

Am 14.10.2019 um 18:21 schrieb No1NParticular31:

I am going to take a different approach to answer. Why not post a picture of the current build you have on your favorite sword and we can help you with the build. My guess is you are missing some mods, and probably an Orokin Catalyst and a forma or two.

Am 14.10.2019 um 13:28 schrieb Fallen77:

If you can't kill lvl 30, stop looking at the weapon, it's not the problem.

Your mods are the problem, because any weapon should be able to roll over lvl 40 with just basic damage mods maxed. Don't even worry about the crit and status combos, only upgrade your pressure point and +90 elem mods. 

pretty much what they said^^. u can deal with 60-80 enemies without any combo stuff or condition overload or other fancy stuff like rivens, arcanes or zaws. just by using pressure point, fury/berserk, base elemental mods, true steel and organ shatter. just tested it myself, killed a corrupted heavy gunner with broken war and nikana prime with the exact same build and took like 4-5 secs (2 secs with nikana prime with tranquilling cleave and its finisher combo). 

with that basis, u can replace stuff with status-elemental mods, condition overload etc. over time when u obtain them, but try modding for best results with base mods first. that way u learn whats more important on a wep and also learn how to make more advanced builds. if u r lazy, there r plenty of other ppl doing that and posting their build on youtube. 

also, blast dmg can help u in same cases too, because on proc u can perform ground finishers on enemies. note that other procs become more usefull the more status chance u have tho. Id use it on weps with around 20-30% status chance. 

PS: u sure u dont just have an extinguished dragon key equipped?

Edited by MJako
forgot blast dmg is useful

i was in the middle of taking a picture whne it occured to me i could just type it out >_>

Stance: Iron Phoenix maxed out, its the only sword stance i have currently.

top row is

Pressure Point maxed. Jagged Edge Maxed Rending STrike maxed. True Steel maxed.

bottom row

Amalgam Organ Shatter -place holder for now. Fury maxed. Blood Rush 3 from max. Buzz kill max.

This is all on Broken War. I've yet to forma it, been leveling up a bunch of melee weapons (currenly hate the fists, freaking combo lock crap has gotten me killed. press the button twice, 8 attacks later *higher number for annoyance clarity* and i'm able to move.) but broken war is my favorite along side Skiajati

Skiajati btw this is my current build.

Blind Justice -only one i have, also i have a stance mod for nikana woo! 😄

top row

Sacrificial steel -5 levels. sacrificial pressure 3 from max. vicious frost max. virulent scourge max.

bottom row

volcanic edge max. fury max. drifting contact max. buzz kill max.

now keep in mind before yall jump down my throat on Skiajati, i have not changed its mods since i got it, and i didnt' have all the mods i have now 😄 so if you can suggest a build for it that would be appreciated. Also, i have i think, one, what do you call them, riven? mods and its for a rifle, i dont' even know how to get them anymore.

Avoid from using IPS mods ie +%Impact +%Puncture +%Slash.

There are almost no cases where those mods are actually a DPS increase.
On paper they might appear to be but only in the case of a weapon with nearly no status will that actually be near correct on actual DPS.

Skiajati is the 2nd best Nikana without a Riven and one of the easier Rivens to roll for so no hate here. Keep in mind though that eventually you might want to swap out the Sacrificial Set as Primed Pressure Point and a different mod like Condition Overload will produce more damage. Only Sacrificial Steel has any value and even then only on Pure physical Bleed builds. Skiajata would be built almost the same as the Nikana Prime I linked.

http://warframe-builder.com/s/a776d98fc446592b

In reality there's actually very little flexibility when it comes to melee builds right now. You either build around Condition Overload status spam, Full Front-loaded Damage or Bleed status and there's not much difference outside picking the element type to use and for heavy Slash based weapons like these examples Viral + Slash works against all factions though you might want Gas against Corpus or less status more Front-loaded damage against Infested. ie 90% mods instead of 60/60 mods. Oh and Fury is fine if you don't have Berserk.

If you're wanting to mix guns and melee together it doesn't really work that well right now. Maiming Strike helps for a quick slide but that's about it.

Edited by Xzorn

1 hour ago, Xzorn said:

Avoid from using IPS mods ie +%Impact +%Puncture +%Slash.

There are almost no cases where those mods are actually a DPS increase.
On paper they might appear to be but only in the case of a weapon with nearly no status will that actually be near correct on actual DPS.

Skiajati is the 2nd best Nikana without a Riven and one of the easier Rivens to roll for so no hate here. Keep in mind though that eventually you might want to swap out the Sacrificial Set as Primed Pressure Point and a different mod like Condition Overload will produce more damage. Only Sacrificial Steel has any value and even then only on Pure physical Bleed builds. Skiajata would be built almost the same as the Nikana Prime I linked.

http://warframe-builder.com/s/a776d98fc446592b

In reality there's actually very little flexibility when it comes to melee builds right now. You either build around Condition Overload status spam, Full Front-loaded Damage or Bleed status and there's not much difference outside picking the element type to use and for heavy Slash based weapons like these examples Viral + Slash works against all factions though you might want Gas against Corpus or less status more Front-loaded damage against Infested. ie 90% mods instead of 60/60 mods. Oh and Fury is fine if you don't have Berserk.

If you're wanting to mix guns and melee together it doesn't really work that well right now. Maiming Strike helps for a quick slide but that's about it.

i just want a melee that's not going to be utter S#&amp;&#036;, but from the sounds of it my broken war is built ok. so i'll just go back to that. But having to take off the effect mods sounds...iffy to me bu ti'll try it. I primarily use ignis wraith and the new opticor vandal (new to me not game :D) and they both do pretty sweet damage, ignis seems to have gotten stronger since i used it last to. was melting some medium to heavy peeps in a 40-60 with little to no issue. but the opticor vandal i need to work on. I'd love to get a good damage build for it, but i feel like reload speed is needed badly for it

What's being completely ignored is the much simpler build using four elemental 90s (Fever Strike, Molten Impact, North Wind, Shocking Touch).  This plus Pressure Point and a few fillers of choice are more than sufficient for most of the star chart.  Granted it's not very good for Yam, Vodyanoi, or really much above level 50, but it's simple and most people have the mods by the time they reach the point of the OP.  This approach directly answers the original question and doesn't have them worrying about needing to obtain a bunch of rare mods now to be competitive.

Condition Overload and a status applying gun/Status melee can literally kill anything.

Try to get Blood Rush. It's one of the easiest rare mod to farm. I can even show you ingame how to farm Lua Spy efficiently. As long as you learn how to do it this Spy mission is the easiest to do by far and you only need 1 Vault to have a chance to drop BR. You can fail the other two on purpose to make the farm faster.

Toxic 60/60 drops on Vor, in the Void. Electric 60/60 for melee can only be found at Baro Kitteer shop, and Heat/Cold are found by doing Spy mission with 3/3 Vault done. Farming Spy can be annoying but the rewards are mostly good and it's done in a flash when you know them/play a frame suited for farming them.

Edited by Isokaze_BestKaze

10 hours ago, (PS4)Okamibanshu22 said:

i was in the middle of taking a picture whne it occured to me i could just type it out >_>

Stance: Iron Phoenix maxed out, its the only sword stance i have currently.

top row is

Pressure Point maxed. Jagged Edge Maxed Rending STrike maxed. True Steel maxed.

bottom row

Amalgam Organ Shatter -place holder for now. Fury maxed. Blood Rush 3 from max. Buzz kill max.

This is all on Broken War. I've yet to forma it, been leveling up a bunch of melee weapons (currenly hate the fists, freaking combo lock crap has gotten me killed. press the button twice, 8 attacks later *higher number for annoyance clarity* and i'm able to move.) but broken war is my favorite along side Skiajati

To really make use of Blood Rush you REALLY need either Drifting Contact (Nightmare Missions) or Body Count (Shadow Stalker's acolytes) or either can be bought for 7-10 plat. IMHO Drifting Contact is better in most cases and usually cheaper. You need one or the other because Blood Rush gets better as your combo counter gets higher and these mods make it easier to build that combo counter by adding a delay before it decays.

Try getting one of those mods and changing to this:

Iron phoenix
Pressure Point | Shocking Touch | Fever Strike | Blood Rush
Organ Shatter | Drifting Contact | Fury (or Berserker if you have it) | Reach

You should be able to fit all of that on the Broken War (leaving Blood Rush at the current rank you have it) without any forma at all and be able to clear the star chart. As an option, you could replace either Reach OR Organ Shatter with Healing Return if you feel you need it.

If you are MR 7 or higher and have 1 Orokin Catalyst and 1 Forma I think there is another weapon you should try, The Lesion (polearm). It is a fun weapon and is one of the top melee weapons currently available. You can buy the blueprint from the market for credits but you will first need to make a Bo (regular version, not MK1 version), and a Kunai (regular version, not MK1 version). Level them up if you haven't already. Then use those to make a Tipedo (level it up) then use that to make the Lesion. All Blueprints are in the market.

You may have to buy some of these mods from players but you are going to need them for many weapon builds anyway so may as well go ahead and get them. Here is how to build the Lesion and make yourself nearly unstoppable:

Shimmering Blight
Pressure Point | Condition Overload | Reach | Healing Return (Doesn't need maxed, but at least to Rank 7)
Voltaic Strike | Virulent Scourge | Volcanic Edge | Vicious Frost

NOTE: Every time Baro Ki'Teer visits a relay check to see if he has any Primed Mods that you need. You can used Primed Pressure Point and Primed Reach in the above build without any extra forma if you leave Healing Return at Rank 7 (3 unused dots). If you go higher on Healing Return then you will need a second Forma to use the Primed mods. To buy things from Baro Ki'Teer you will need to open relics and sell the junk you get at Relay stations for Ducats. It's good to plan ahead to make sure you have the Ducats and Credits for the mods for when he visits.