Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Synergies

Hekkatos

So I was thinking it'd be pretty cool for different warframe abilities to synergise to buff an ability or add an effect.

A couple of examples would be:

A thermal explosion giving a blast proc when using frost and ember.

Banshee causing Gara's wall doing extra damage or gaining a slash proc when shattered.

Octavia's amp being buffed when Banshee is using Quake

Nova's wormholes being able to redirect other frames abilities like Wisps Sol Gate.

idk. probably pointless or too much work. just something that popped into my head.

Well, aside from the fact that DE already answered this question with the phrase 'it's not even on the table for discussion', it's definitely a lot of effort. Imagine having to not only bug-check 41 frames worth of abilities (164 to start with), but then 41 frames worth of interactions as well every single update... That would be making a rod for their own backs.

• Like 1

How about we just take the above ideas and try to make them a bit less specific, to begin with:

4 hours ago, Hekkatos said:

A thermal explosion giving a blast proc when using frost and ember.

"Ice and fire create an explosion on contact with each other that deals Blast damage with 100% status".

Incidentally, this would also allow Gauss's 3 to synergize with itself without special-casing.

Banshee causing Gara's wall doing extra damage or gaining a slash proc when shattered.

This I have no idea, to the point where I don't know which Banshee ability you're expecting to trigger this, or whether it's just Banshee existing in the same mission as Gara.

Octavia's amp being buffed when Banshee is using Quake

Just make Banshee's Sound Quake generate lots of sound for the purposes of Amp's sound detection.

Nova's wormholes being able to redirect other frames abilities like Wisps Sol Gate.

"Nova's wormholes teleport all projectiles and beams fired into it to the exit".

So, putting aside how this kind of topic gets put forth a lot, and is typically met with the same answer, i.e. "no, this kind of idea is a combinatorial nightmare to implement comprehensively on every frame, and would require a ton of book-keeping on the part of the players to remember which frame has which special synergy", I personally feel that the approach for this kind of proposal is both incredibly limiting, while also being massively convoluted for the above reasons (if you want frames to have special synergies, get ready for hundreds, if not thousands of special cases to implement): in most of the cases that get brought up, the special synergy that gets suggested could very well be easily turned into a much broader synergy between two base game elements, which two particular frames would be especially good at accessing. In this respect, if we're really looking to make frames synergize with each other, the better approach may be to instead make the different components to the game's systems, environment, etc. interact more with each other, so that frames whose powers hinge on some of those elements get to connect to a much larger network of more intuitive synergies.

• Like 1

13 часов назад, Hekkatos сказал:

Banshee's Boom synergises well with AoE prolonged powers - just push enemies in. Also Augment removes armor. Great synergy.

Banshee's sonar synergises well with other's gunfire.

Banshee's Quake synergises well with everything since enemies are stunlocked.

Banshee's Savage Silence augment synergises with Radial Blind, Bladestorm, Sleeping Arrow, Rest & Rage...

Banshee is OK, just turn on some imagination.

A game that has this is divinity original sin, an amazing rpg. It works for that game, but not sure if warframe is that cooperative. Most of the time everyone in teams do their own thing, ignoring everyone else. The pace and combat is too frantic compared to the turn based combat of divinity original sin.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind if Oberon and Titania had a special secret handshake as synergy. 
Since they are both the King and Queen of Fae.
Like Oberon summoning a Flower or small Tree and Titania summons some butterflies/moths to decorate it.

Or maybe Ember and Frost do a high five that makes a kinetic blast (only visually)

Mirage and Octavia could interact as muses.

But other then that, I don't really think DE has the time to do these. Not to mention balance issues with power creep
I do like the small interactions characters had in overwatch, I don't think it would be to bad if relatable warframes had those as well (As an emote)

• Like 1

On 2019-10-23 at 9:21 AM, Miyabi-sama said:

Banshee's Boom synergises well with AoE prolonged powers - just push enemies in. Also Augment removes armor. Great synergy.

Banshee's sonar synergises well with other's gunfire.

Banshee's Quake synergises well with everything since enemies are stunlocked.

Banshee's Savage Silence augment synergises with Radial Blind, Bladestorm, Sleeping Arrow, Rest & Rage...

Banshee is OK, just turn on some imagination.

I apologise for my poor wording, I wasn't saying she isn't ok if that's how it appeared. I used her for most of my examples because I'd just been playing her so she was the one that came to mind. the things you mentioned aren't what I was talking about. Sonar doesn't "synergise" with others gunfire, that's just doing what it does, make weak points. it's a direct effect. I was talking about transformation rather than exploitation.

On 2019-10-23 at 12:54 AM, Teridax68 said:

This I have no idea, to the point where I don't know which Banshee ability you're expecting to trigger this, or whether it's just Banshee existing in the same mission as Gara.

maybe proximity to the wall while silence is active? assuming silence is an ultra high frequency sound that was screwing with enemy perceptions.

"Nova's wormholes teleport all projectiles and beams fired into it to the exit".

my mistake. I was basing it off this bit from the wiki. " Weapon projectiles are not blocked or redirected by wormholes." I must have misunderstood it.

So, putting aside how this kind of topic gets put forth a lot, and is typically met with the same answer, i.e. "no, this kind of idea is a combinatorial nightmare to implement comprehensively on every frame, and would require a ton of book-keeping on the part of the players to remember which frame has which special synergy", I personally feel that the approach for this kind of proposal is both incredibly limiting, while also being massively convoluted for the above reasons (if you want frames to have special synergies, get ready for hundreds, if not thousands of special cases to implement): in most of the cases that get brought up, the special synergy that gets suggested could very well be easily turned into a much broader synergy between two base game elements, which two particular frames would be especially good at accessing. In this respect, if we're really looking to make frames synergize with each other, the better approach may be to instead make the different components to the game's systems, environment, etc. interact more with each other, so that frames whose powers hinge on some of those elements get to connect to a much larger network of more intuitive synergies.

thanks for the comprehensive answer, it makes a lot of sense. I was only thinking of specific interactions between a pair of frames for a total of 20, but I do understand how much work that would involve.

On 2019-10-24 at 1:05 AM, Shaburanigud said:

I wouldn't mind if Oberon and Titania had a special secret handshake as synergy. 
Since they are both the King and Queen of Fae.
Like Oberon summoning a Flower or small Tree and Titania summons some butterflies/moths to decorate it.

Or maybe Ember and Frost do a high five that makes a kinetic blast (only visually)

Mirage and Octavia could interact as muses.

But other then that, I don't really think DE has the time to do these. Not to mention balance issues with power creep
I do like the small interactions characters had in overwatch, I don't think it would be to bad if relatable warframes had those as well (As an emote)

paired emotes would be cool.

On 2019-10-22 at 9:51 PM, Birdframe_Prime said:

Well, aside from the fact that DE already answered this question with the phrase 'it's not even on the table for discussion',

ah, my bad. I need to pay more attention to the forum and streams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hekkatos said:

maybe proximity to the wall while silence is active? assuming silence is an ultra high frequency sound that was screwing with enemy perceptions.

Indeed, or on the flipside you could also have the glass explosion trigger Sonar-generated weak spots. Going with the idea of broader synergies, you could have ability casts trigger Sonar spots, or damage fired through Gara's glass to fire shards that trigger Slash procs.

my mistake. I was basing it off this bit from the wiki. " Weapon projectiles are not blocked or redirected by wormholes." I must have misunderstood it.

Not at all, you understood it perfectly; what I meant was more that you could make that an addition instead, so that the wormholes would redirect projectiles and beams, and thereby carry the synergy you wanted to have between Wormhole and certain frame abilities.

thanks for the comprehensive answer, it makes a lot of sense. I was only thinking of specific interactions between a pair of frames for a total of 20, but I do understand how much work that would involve.

Anytime! And pretty much: when going on a frame-by-frame, or ability-by-ability basis, the number of combinations very quickly racks up to crazy high amounts, which is why when this comes up I'm always a proponent of having synergies play into larger systems, rather than specific interactions. Abilities that apply Slash status will always synergize with Viral status, for example, because the latter halves health that the former attacks directly, and if you make those synergies sufficiently broad, that means not only will lots more frames and weapons have a chance to synergize from that one idea, but you also get to future-proof your synergy as well, so that future content can also play into it.