Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shield breaking sound needs to be noticeable and memorable

Ramflare

Been playing a lot of Halo CE lately and you know what I noticed, you always know what your shields are doing, swap to warframe and if I'm playing mag or any frame with more shields than health it's barely noticeable unless your eyes are glued to the top-right of your screen at all times.

Something like this would be immensely helpful - In halo there's an exceptionally clear shield depletion sound and another as it recharges. More importantly they always sound on top of other random effects, it helps that they're clear and memorable. Warframe has these effects but they're not distinct, compared to Halo where the shield effects are downright iconic and unique compared to other sounds in the game.

Actual gameplay example: Timestamp: 7:55 Weirdly the shields are less noticeable in this than when I'm playing but you get the idea hopefully.

This is from Halo 5, bit more modern but this version is kind of annoying but I'd love a slightly cooler sounding version in warframe;

Edited by Ramflare
clarification
  • Like 7

Someone's going to reply and say "that's incredibly annoying" to which I say... good. It's a half second long sound effect that tells you to pay attention and look at your shields. It absolutely has to grab your attention. I couldn't find perfect examples so let me also say that I've tuned it out quite often during my halo playthroughs - if I'm on easy and ploughing through stuff for no particular reason I don't notice it but when I need it oh boy is it there.

Does that make sense? hope so.

Edited by Ramflare
  • Like 5

Honestly, most of the time I lose shields, I rarely notice I actually did until either I know I'm losing health or I'm directly looking at my health bar. The current one is fine, as it does its job, but it's pretty weak in terms of an alert. Almost sounds like someone is punching me in the shoulder, not getting rid of a layer of protection.

I saw the title and knew it was going to be Halo. 

The health and shield location is a bit out of the way in Warframe, other third person games have the health of your character in the middle of your screen so you don't have to look away. Looking down or to the side is a more natural quick look instead of looking up and to the right. Luckily shield gating is stopping the problem of one shot deaths, but the shield breaking could still use a unique sound. Warframe has plenty of good audio so I could see this happening. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kapn655321 said:

Those aren't just a touch obnoxious to anyone? I expect they will do a rework on the sound, but something tells me non-stop beeping just gets Inaros used more than he already is.

Oh yeah but only a tad and during actual gameplay they don't sound as obnoxious - if you haven't played halo you'll have to trust me on that. I wouldn't want a direct copy anyway, my point is that it has to be completely distinct from the rest of the sounds in the game, the current one isn't.

• 1 month later...

Or like Mass Effect, in which when your shields break, there's a small but distinct sound of glass breaking/cracking (in andromeda atleast). Unfortunately i cant find the sound anywhere, so i cant show it to you (or listen?)

Edited by Kaggelos

I find it hard to miss the warning when my shields go down. The visual covers the entire screen. I run Rolling Guard in place of Vitality, Adaptation or other survivability mods on many builds, and I might have just trained myself to notice. If DE decides to implement a more noticeable sound/visual when our shield gate is down, I hope it's an option to use what we have now. I don't want anything close what was in the linked videos. 

Edited by Berzerkules

Wow, you want an alarm playing the whole time your shields are down? Yuk. I think the current FX are plenty to inform you of your shield state, and there are plenty of visual cues as well as the initial break notification.

• 3 weeks later...

Well....I would like a better "break" sound..... But I don't need any empty shield alarm.

Current break notification is seriously weak.  It blends with other combat noises easily.   A loud "Pip-Pip" on break would be enough.