Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How many times im need rebuilt my zaw?

Gloomyara

8 hours ago, Wyrmius_Prime said:

If the parts cannot be changed, how are they interchangeable?

1 hour ago, Arcira said:

The problem is essentially anything consist of parts. Even mobile phones have parts like a PC (graphic card, processor, ram). But are they modular just because they where build from them once? And if so why make a distinction in the first place?

In my opinion wording is one of the most important things especially when coding. English isn´t my native language and I makes mistakes but what part of my statement is oxymoron

The parts are interchangeable while building the zaw. One grip can replace any other grip. Contrast this with a prime weapon. They are constructed from parts but there is no choice in what parts can be used. Mobile phones may very well be modular. We teand to buy them pre-built with no chance to customize so have no reason to view or refer to them as modular. Conversley mobile phone manufacturers might have reason to refer to them as such and differentiate between modular built phones and non-modular built phones.

The oxymoron was an objective opinion. An opinion is inherently subjective so is in stark contrast to being objective. 

31 minutes ago, (PS4)Shelneroth said:

The parts are interchangeable while building the zaw. One grip can replace any other grip. Contrast this with a prime weapon. They are constructed from parts but there is no choice in what parts can be used. Mobile phones may very well be modular. We teand to buy them pre-built with no chance to customize so have no reason to view or refer to them as modular. Conversley mobile phone manufacturers might have reason to refer to them as such and differentiate between modular built phones and non-modular built phones.

The oxymoron was an objective opinion. An opinion is inherently subjective so is in stark contrast to being objective. 

Interchange is a word that literally defines itself. There are no ''opinions'' about it. You CHANGE things between 2 or more things (inter-). Inter- is a prefix that means ''between'', ''among'', ''in the midst of'' etc...

For something to be interchangeable, you need to have at least 2 things from which you could, for example in this case, change or swap parts between. You would need to be able to change parts from 2 or more Zaws after building them to fulfill the definition of interchangeable. Going by your ''definition'', you have 0 built Zaws so you have nothing to change parts between.

Also regular phones aren't interchangeable more often than not. There have been a number of concepts of modular and interchange phones in the past, which you could see by a simple google search, but your average phone does not do that. One such example is LG G5 in 2015, which had an interchangeable ''lower housing which contains the battery can be slid from the bottom of the device, and replaced by alternative add-on modules that provide additional functions, such as a camera grip or a high-fidelity audio module''. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_G5

48 minutes ago, (PS4)Shelneroth said:

But even if I could choose from different processors in my phone it would make it variable but not modular. The only part I´d accept as modul might be the accumulator because I can switch them.

48 minutes ago, (PS4)Shelneroth said:

When I say something like "from my point of view" it´s probably just a synonym. So what would be the correct way to describe it then?

Edited by Arcira

9 hours ago, Elessara1 said:

Neither of those definitions say that they have to remain flexible after the initial construction. 

- "Computers: composed of software or hardware modules that can be altered or replaced without affecting the remainder of the system."

- "Broadly speaking, modularity is the degree to which a system's components may be separated and recombined."

those basically mean they have to remain flexible.

by the way, how flexible are zaws upon creation?

59 minutes ago, Wyrmius_Prime said:

Interchange is a word that literally defines itself. There are no ''opinions'' about it. You CHANGE things between 2 or more things (inter-). Inter- is a prefix that means ''between'', ''among'', ''in the midst of'' etc...

For something to be interchangeable, you need to have at least 2 things from which you could, for example in this case, change or swap parts between. You would need to be able to change parts from 2 or more Zaws after building them to fulfill the definition of interchangeable. Going by your ''definition'', you have 0 built Zaws so you have nothing to change parts between.

Your deffinition of interchangeable seems overly specific, and not in line with actual usage. Going with your example I would argue the parts are being swapped between potential designs.

58 minutes ago, Arcira said:

But even if I could choose from different processors in my phone it would make it variable but not modular. The only part I´d accept as modul might be the accumulator because I can switch them.

When I say something like "from my point of view" it´s probably just a synonym. So what would be the correct way to describe it then?

I still feel the ability to swap stuff after creation isn't necessary to something being modular. Obviously you do, but it seems to be a self imposed limitation.

There was nothing wrong with what you said. It was just an oxymoron and they are fine. I think the persons point was that as an oxymoron involves using two terms that contradict each other together it is ironic to use one in a disscussion about correct use of language, as it implies at least one of the terms is being used incorrectly.

25 minutes ago, dreamycreampie said:

those basically mean they have to remain flexible.

by the way, how flexible are zaws upon creation?

It doesn't really matter about the other definitions. There is a definition that sets the lowest requierments to be modular at interchangeable parts during construction. Zaws meet this lowest requierment. That modularity comes with other expectaitions (but not requierments) doesn't bar zaws from the group.

By the way, if not modular, what would people rather see these systems called?

8 hours ago, (PS4)Shelneroth said:

It doesn't really matter about the other definitions. There is a definition that sets the lowest requierments to be modular at interchangeable parts during construction. Zaws meet this lowest requierment. That modularity comes with other expectaitions (but not requierments) doesn't bar zaws from the group.

but you did say neither of his definitions say they need to remain flexible before picking up 2 out of his 4 definitions and completely dismissing his other 2.

By the way, if not modular, what would people rather see these systems called?

idk in English, but in my language there are things called "take apart and install" but those things, as the name says, can be taken apart once installed.

I don't think I've ever actually encountered similar things so far in real life that can't be taken apart once you build it. The object that comes in mind is a road, which you can pick any rocks you want before cementing it. I'm not sure if people call roads modular.

On 2020-03-22 at 8:15 PM, Wyrmius_Prime said:

They still aren't modular by definition.

Well, zaws actually are modular:

Modular: "
employing or involving a module or modules as the basis of design or construction"
“constructed with standardized units or dimensions for flexibility and variety in use” (from Webster's)

For example "modular housing units" (where you can't pick the houses apart and rebuild new houses with the same modules). Or "modular kitchen equipment" (where you can pick everything apart and put the modules together in another way).

The "pick apart or not" is not part of the definition of "modular", so it is arbitrary (whether something can be taken apart or not).

Edited by Graavarg

On 2020-03-22 at 7:43 PM, Wyrmius_Prime said:

''Modular'' is just a stupid term DE uses. They aren't actually modular because Zaws cannot be edited after built.

1 hour ago, dreamycreampie said:

I don't think I've ever actually encountered similar things so far in real life that can't be taken apart once you build it. The object that comes in mind is a road, which you can pick any rocks you want before cementing it. I'm not sure if people call roads modular.

modularity does not neccessarily mean that you can take the finished product apart.

there are modular houses. houses built from pre-built parts, combined according to the customers wishes, but once it has been assembled that's it. no more taking it apart

2 hours ago, Helch0rn said:

modularity does not neccessarily mean that you can take the finished product apart.

there are modular houses. houses built from pre-built parts, combined according to the customers wishes, but once it has been assembled that's it. no more taking it apart

4 hours ago, Graavarg said:

Well, zaws actually are modular:

Modular: "
employing or involving a module or modules as the basis of design or construction"
“constructed with standardized units or dimensions for flexibility and variety in use” (from Webster's)

For example "modular housing units" (where you can't pick the houses apart and rebuild new houses with the same modules). Or "modular kitchen equipment" (where you can pick everything apart and put the modules together in another way).

The "pick apart or not" is not part of the definition of "modular", so it is arbitrary (whether something can be taken apart or not).

Just buy yourself a new kitchen from Ikea and there you go. When did renovation stop being a thing?

1 hour ago, Wyrmius_Prime said:

Just buy yourself a new kitchen from Ikea and there you go. When did renovation stop being a thing?

CM_outside_Foto_Tamara_Frisch.jpg

this is a modular house.

it's made from standartized parts that can be arranged to some extend tothe buyers wishes.

It can't be taken apart once built.

zaws are like this house.

just because it doesn't fit YOUR definition of modularity does not means it's not modular

On 2020-03-22 at 7:40 PM, lukinu_u said:

They only added Zaw parts 2 times and reworked melee one time since Zaws exists, so you technically needed to rebuild zaw only 4 time at most, not 20+.

You are admiting OP only uses 1 zaw, but you know there are many strikes? There is more than only Plague Kripah.... I fos isntace use mainly 5 strikes, so 4x5 =20.
And i count 2 recent mellle/damage reworks,not 1. The damage rework afect status (stacking status), and that affects the way you assemble the zaws.
I lost also interest on zaws, because of this..i need to do do same zaws i did in the past, to correct my builds..so i understand the OP concern. Itrs easy to understand if you know anything about zaws